Scam

GinRummy

Just now, King prawn said:

They pay for the information I think. 

Dark Web seemingly, seen something on the news about it not so long ago, where organised crime gangs buy and sell email addresses, phone numbers, names & addresses, login details, bank details etc etc etc.

It was scary what these scum have access to.

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jambo-Jimbo

• The Real Maroonblood

• Marvin

• Harry Potter

1 minute ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Dark Web seemingly, seen something on the news about it not so long ago, where organised crime gangs buy and sell email addresses, phone numbers, names & addresses, login details, bank details etc etc etc.

It was scary what these scum have access to.

Is it really scary though ? Supposedly all this data is floating about but it’s still people volunteering to give their money away to scammers via a simple phone call that causes the most damage. 

3 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Is it really scary though ? Supposedly all this data is floating about but it’s still people volunteering to give their money away to scammers via a simple phone call that causes the most damage. 

Scary in the aspect that scammers can have enough information, to then potentially target large numbers of people to try and scam.

But yes it still often takes an individual to fill in the blanks so to speak for the scammers to get a bite.

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Scary in the aspect that scammers can have enough information, to then potentially target large numbers of people to try and scam.

But yes it still often takes an individual to fill in the blanks so to speak for the scammers to get a bite.

In my last house I used to get pestered regularly on my landline so when I moved house I did away with the landline.

I do get the pests on the mobile but not very often.

I had a telephone call of which I didn't recognise the number, I checked it and found it was a construction company from a neighbouring small town. As I was having at the time some work done it seemed reasonable I returned the call but got no reply.  I checked with the phone company and they advised that it was probably a scam and that all they wanted was me to return the call which connects them and confirms that my number is current and in use. They then sell the number as genuine to other scammers. I always consider myself reasonably alert but the get you. I have also used the smart guy tactic with trying to make a fool of the caller, I did this fairly recently and was subjected to phone calls all the time I was in bed, I just accepted it answered and hung up, after a couple of nights it ceased.

7 hours ago, Tazio said:

Bullshit. 
If it’s a scam the bank will honour the money taken. I discovered a couple of years ago a mysterious direct debit had being taking £30 a month out of one of my accounts. I hadn’t noticed as all my DD’s come out one two date, the start of the month and the middle so I only ever checked those date stupidly. This went on for almost a year before I spotted it. Turned out to be linked to a PPV site I’d used to watch a hockey game. Cleverly they had the direct debit payments going to an account linked to a “adult” site, obviously hoping people would be embarrassed to go to the bank. When I visited the bank their fraud claims department gave me the lot back, £300 by then. 
Though it did lead to the amusing exchange in the bank when the person told me it was a dogging website and was I sure it wasn’t legit. I found my self blurting out “I’ve not even got a bloody car!” 

Of course, your response should really have been: “I’ve not even got a bloody dog!”    :thumbsup:

:527:

Have had a few email ones, but my spam filter seems to pick-up nearly all of them. Even if not, the spelling and grammatical mistakes as well as the sender having a dodgy email address usually give them away. I never answer any calls to my mobile from an unrecognised or withheld number; if it's kosher they'll leave a voicemail message. They seem to have given-up calling our landline now - that was never answered either.

I don't recollect ever getting a scam text.

2 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

In my last house I used to get pestered regularly on my landline so when I moved house I did away with the landline.

I do get the pests on the mobile but not very often.

Going to rid of ours as soon as we get 5G in this area.

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Going to rid of ours as soon as we get 5G in this area.

It appears more people are ditching their landlines.

4 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Indeed, we rarely ever use it, £20 a month line rental for nothing.

As said as soon as 5G comes here my broadband will be through 5G and the phone line can go.

The Real Maroonblood
7 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

As said as soon as 5G comes here my broadband will be through 5G and the phone line can go.

👍

7 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

I delete any e-mails I don't recognise without even opening them and know my bank etc wouldn't ask me to click on a link within an e-mail.

Same with text messages. Delete.

Letters regularly get ripped up before theyre even opened.

Any phone numbers I dont know get ignored and then put on "block this number".

I dont answer calls from withheld numbers.

If I unwittingly answer a call at home and its an ambulance chaser etc. I tell them in my loudest voice to STOP, TAKE A STEP BACK AND LITERALLY GO **** YOUR OWN FACE!!! then hang up.

Feck em. Annoying people seemed to have grown into an industry!

Almost exactly the same as me - other than the final one. I like to string them along for a bit or tell them absolute rubbish. 

You were recently involved in an accident? Yes! My head fell off, do you know how hard it is to get through life with no head? 

They hang up rather than me! 

2 minutes ago, skinnybob72 said:

Almost exactly the same as me - other than the final one. I like to string them along for a bit or tell them absolute rubbish. 

You were recently involved in an accident? Yes! My head fell off, do you know how hard it is to get through life with no head? 

They hang up rather than me! 

To be fair when I wrote that I just watched Tropic Thunder. It's a line from the Tom Cruise character in the film. I usually just tell them to FO and hang up.

5 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I'd love to be able to do something like this, but I'm too hot headed and just tell them to F...Off.

Although I'd really like when asked my name and address is to say.

Frodo Baggins

Bag End

Bagshot Row

Hobbiton

The Shire

Middle Earth

And see how long it is before they twig and hang up on you.  :rofl:

😀  Yes.... that would be quite fun.  Next time they ask to confirm my name, I'm thinking of being  " Warwick Hunt "  and enjoy their  reaction  😜

5 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I'd love to be able to do something like this, but I'm too hot headed and just tell them to F...Off.

Although I'd really like when asked my name and address is to say.

Frodo Baggins

Bag End

Bagshot Row

Hobbiton

The Shire

Middle Earth

And see how long it is before they twig and hang up on you.  :rofl:

😀  Yes.... that would be quite fun.  Next time they ask to confirm my name, I'm thinking of being  " Warwick Hunt "  and enjoy their  reaction  😜

The last time I got a call about a recent car accident I just went quiet for a few seconds and asked in a trembling voice why where they trying to profit from the death of my children. They hung up very quickly and I hope spent the next few minutes mildly traumatised. 

Doctor FinnBarr

We, well the wife got a letter from an American bank about 10 years ago now telling her she had money coming from an inheritance and all she had to do was send a photocopy of her passport and a wage slip to show her NI number. I posted on here about it at the time and the general advice was "don't". I did some research online into the bank who seemed to be gen so we sent off the said details and lo and behold we got a cheque for 4000 dollars. Its a long story but she'd been found by US "heir hunters".

46 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

We, well the wife got a letter from an American bank about 10 years ago now telling her she had money coming from an inheritance and all she had to do was send a photocopy of her passport and a wage slip to show her NI number. I posted on here about it at the time and the general advice was "don't". I did some research online into the bank who seemed to be gen so we sent off the said details and lo and behold we got a cheque for 4000 dollars. Its a long story but she'd been found by US "heir hunters".

giphy.gif

Doctor FinnBarr
9 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

giphy.gif

We did though and that £3.200 it converted into worked wonders for us at the time. Think it was only a 24th we got though, some rich bitch in Norfolk got half of that 24.

The absolute easiest way is just click on the name of sender to see the email address:

Sure it will say 'royal mail/Amazon/bank' etc but the email address will be [email protected]

Really easy way to determine a legit email even without looking at the contents

12 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

but can you if attached to your package, ie, virgin, thats a joke as well, should have a choice'

another moan there, thats all i do🤔.

Edited by Harry Potter

12 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

pardon my ignorance, why does 5gmake a difference?

I'm going to put mine on mute again. Nobody calls us on it (that I want to talk to)

1 hour ago, Tommy Brown said:

pardon my ignorance, why does 5gmake a difference?

I'm going to put mine on mute again. Nobody calls us on it (that I want to talk to)

Because 4G here isn't as strong as my fibre broadband, so when we get 5G here, I'll be able to get a 5G wireless hub, then I can cancel my fibre broadband and my line rental at the same time, at present my broadband requires a phone line rental along with it.

Until we get 5G I'm stuck with line rental charges, it was supposed to be rolled out this year, but obviously things got delayed due to covid.

The Real Maroonblood
3 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

but can you if attached to your package, ie, virgin, thats a joke as well, should have a choice'

another moan there, thats all i do🤔.

Although I don’t use a landline I still have to pay for it because of the broadband.

1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Because 4G here isn't as strong as my fibre broadband, so when we get 5G here, I'll be able to get a 5G wireless hub, then I can cancel my fibre broadband and my line rental at the same time, at present my broadband requires a phone line rental along with it.

Until we get 5G I'm stuck with line rental charges, it was supposed to be rolled out this year, but obviously things got delayed due to covid.

5g is wireless!, no need for landlines.

Superb, hadnt realised that.

36 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Although I don’t use a landline I still have to pay for it because of the broadband.

I know it comes as a package, its forced on you, i would ditch it now if i could, only one that phones on it is the mother in law 😀.

Think my landline is 15 poonds a month, waste o money.

In saying that i have an unlimited sim with my virgin package for my mobi for free.

And internet is good at about 100mbps.

Edited by Harry Potter

1 hour ago, Tommy Brown said:

5g is wireless!, no need for landlines.

Superb, hadnt realised that.

Wireless if you get a wireless router, all the main providers do them, Three, EE, Vodashite etc etc, works off the same wifi signal as your phone does, seemingly.  Seen some which claim to be faster than fibre, up to 150mbps, no landline (£20 pm saving straight off), no installation, just plug it in and connect to your provider/wifi.

Can't wait for 5G to come here.

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Harry Potter said:

I know it comes as a package, its forced on you, i would ditch it now if i could, only one that phones on it is the mother in law 😀.

Think my landline is 15 poonds a month, waste o money.

In saying that i have an unlimited sim with my virgin package for my mobi for free.

And internet is good at about 100mbps.

👍

2 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Wireless if you get a wireless router, all the main providers do them, Three, EE, Vodashite etc etc, works off the same wifi signal as your phone does, seemingly.  Seen some which claim to be faster than fibre, up to 150mbps, no landline (£20 pm saving straight off), no installation, just plug it in and connect to your provider/wifi.

Can't wait for 5G to come here.

They don't have 5G in my area yet, but my mobile can usually pick up a 5G signal when I'm upstairs.  It's mostly around 180Mbps. Not as fast as my Virgin wifi, but I'd consider getting it when it does arrive for the convenience; less wires, blackspots etc.

22 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

They don't have 5G in my area yet, but my mobile can usually pick up a 5G signal when I'm upstairs.  It's mostly around 180Mbps. Not as fast as my Virgin wifi, but I'd consider getting it when it does arrive for the convenience; less wires, blackspots etc.

We don't have any Virgin services out here.

Back on topic.

Got a phone call this morning thanking me for renewing my Amazon Prime subscription, hung up after they said that, as I've never had an Amazon Prime subscription, probably wanted me to press 1 or something or some other cack.

1 hour ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

Paypal have limited my account (don't have one) because of unusual activity. How nice of them.

I used to always be amazed at the number of bank accounts I must have had with banks from all over the world, judging by the number of emails I used to get about accounts I never even knew I had.  😂

The Real Maroonblood
8 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I used to always be amazed at the number of bank accounts I must have had with banks from all over the world, judging by the number of emails I used to get about accounts I never even knew I had.  😂

The thing is when you block their number they just set another number and use it.

How they are allowed to do this beggars belief.

1 minute ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

The thing is when you block their number they just set another number and use it.

How they are allowed to do this beggars belief.

This was by email, years ago now.

Phone calls, I think there is some kit that can clone numbers, because if you do a check of the number which just called you, it's usually a residential number in some random town/city in the UK.  That might explain why it's rarely ever the same number twice which calls.

The Real Maroonblood
4 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

This was by email, years ago now.

Phone calls, I think there is some kit that can clone numbers, because if you do a check of the number which just called you, it's usually a residential number in some random town/city in the UK.  That might explain why it's rarely ever the same number twice which calls.

I’m sure the government said they would look into this.

highlandjambo3
2 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

We don't have any Virgin services out here.

Back on topic.

Got a phone call this morning thanking me for renewing my Amazon Prime subscription, hung up after they said that, as I've never had an Amazon Prime subscription, probably wanted me to press 1 or something or some other cack.

I got an e mail from amazon today thanking me for my custom and, my $100 gift reward.....just click “here” to apply.......aye right.

Салатные палочки
On 25/11/2020 at 14:11, Des Lynam said:

Awesome. This guy is great as well. Does different characters and really messes with these chumps. 

I've been watching these all day. Absolutely brilliant. The gift card scams are great. I wish I had the brains to do things like the fake bank accounts, fake Google Play vouchers etc. Could have so much fun with it. 

23 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

We did though and that £3.200 it converted into worked wonders for us at the time. Think it was only a 24th we got though, some rich bitch in Norfolk got half of that 24.

Sorry, I wasn't doubting you.  I was noting a problem with these discussions.  Just when we're all comfortably in agreement that we should never, ever, ever, ever, ever answer that phone or email, along comes the one person who did it and found it worthwhile - probably the only such fortunate person we'll ever encounter in our lives, but nonetheless a demonstration that maybe we shouldn't automatically reject..... :laugh:

Got one this morning telling me the Norton subscription I don't have has expired and I've been at risk for 12 days.  It expired on 29/11/2020. 🤔

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

Got one this morning telling me the Norton subscription I don't have has expired and I've been at risk for 12 days.  It expired on 29/11/2020. 🤔

:lol:

2 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

:facepalm:    :laugh:

11 hours ago, Ulysses said:

Sorry, I wasn't doubting you.  I was noting a problem with these discussions.  Just when we're all comfortably in agreement that we should never, ever, ever, ever, ever answer that phone or email, along comes the one person who did it and found it worthwhile - probably the only such fortunate person we'll ever encounter in our lives, but nonetheless a demonstration that maybe we shouldn't automatically reject..... :laugh:

Slightly OT sorry but how's this for random - we knew an American family when we lived in Spain and they had been contacted  via a US lawyer about an unknown relative who was anxious to preserve the family name despite no direct descendants and was offering cash to distant relatives to add his surname to their existing one to make it double barrelled. Needless to say as they were not loaded they jumped at the chance.

When we lived in Switzerland we used to get calls from "microsoft" virtually every Saturday lunchtime from Indians who never knew what time it was in the places they claimed to be calling from. Used to have great fun asking if they knew Bill Gates, any tips for minesweeper etc. etc. till I lost the rag one day and gave them dogs abuse, they never called back after that.

On 25/11/2020 at 11:54, jack D and coke said:

Scams you say? 😱

I’ve won a few lotteries and lately scooped the jackpot on the Bill Gates Microsoft lottery! Unfortunately had to give it all to the pesky feckers that keep telling me they’ve caught me masterbating on my webcams...
Should be feckin minted☹️

I just wish that partners thing that comes on here when you sign in would feck off. Then bliss. 

On 25/11/2020 at 10:36, Jamie Walker Tash said:

I personally love the email telling me my car road tax is due. Doesn't tell me what kind of car I own or the date it runs out, just that it's due. They really do pray on the stupid.

giphy.gif?cid=82a1493b46rtneelsmuduidi70