• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jambo-Jimbo

• The Real Maroonblood

• Marvin

• Harry Potter

'the email looked legit' ffs it was clearly fake, not to mention that you get a card through the door from the royal mail, not an email 

Criminals will try every trick they can to get your money.

I've not had the Royal Mail scam, but I've had UPS & DPD scams amongst many many others.

There is a simple rule, never ever ever follow a link in an unsolicited email, no matter how genuine it looks and even more so when it asks for either login details or money.

9 minutes ago, Ribble said:

'the email looked legit' ffs it was clearly fake, not to mention that you get a card through the door from the royal mail, not an email 

Unfortunatley the scammers prey on people's ignorance or stupidity or both.

Cast your mind back to the bank scams, how many years did it finally take joe public to realise that your bank will never contact you by email asking you to follow this link and login to your account.

2 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Unfortunatley the scammers prey on people's ignorance or stupidity or both.

Cast your mind back to the bank scams, how many years did it finally take joe public to realise that your bank will never contact you by email asking you to follow this link and login to your account.

I’m not sure ignorance is now an excuse. Years ago maybe but these days there is no way a 21 year old shouldn’t be aware of such scams regardless of where or who they come from. Stupidity I’ll give you. 

15 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Shocking, never open links on e-mails, easier said than done though, the scammers 

should put more effort in to getting a job,

This is their job and they can earn damn good money from it.

19 minutes ago, Dazo said:

A unsolicited package from HMRC followed up by phone all from ‘her’ bank and she thought it was legit ? 

My business partner got conned when he was recovering from a broken neck and was on heavy painkillers. Got a text and followed a link to pay for some debt that he assumed was for a previous address. Was a couple of years ago and luckily he used an account set aside for household bills which hardly had any cash in it. 

1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

My business partner got conned when he was recovering from a broken neck and was on heavy painkillers. Got a text and followed a link to pay for some debt that he assumed was for a previous address. Was a couple of years ago and luckily he used an account set aside for household bills which hardly had any cash in it. 

There is no doubt there are thousands of examples of this type of scam but unless you are old and/or a vulnerable person then we really need to stop falling for simple scams like these. A 2second check on her banking app woujd have told her the £1500 wasn’t missing and the phone all was fake as she first suspected. 

15 minutes ago, Dazo said:

I’m not sure ignorance is now an excuse. Years ago maybe but these days there is no way a 21 year old shouldn’t be aware of such scams regardless of where or who they come from. Stupidity I’ll give you. 

I wasn't meaning ignorance from her in particular.

Stupidity definately and not just once but twice it would seem on her part.

The first question she should have asked herself was, how did Royal Mail have her email address.

4 minutes ago, Dazo said:

There is no doubt there are thousands of examples of this type of scam but unless you are old and/or a vulnerable person then we really need to stop falling for simple scams like these. A 2second check on her banking app woujd have told her the £1500 wasn’t missing and the phone all was fake as she first suspected. 

Oh I agree. The problem is if they try enough people they are going to trip over some vulnerable ones. It isn't just old and disabled either, sometimes you can be vulnerable for a short period of time through medication or illness or both.

Edited by GinRummy

1 minute ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

The first question she should have asked herself was, how did Royal Mail have her email address.

Absolutely. First part could have been relatively harmless if she didn’t accept the phone call from her bank.  

Just now, Dazo said:

That's clearly evident because the scams just keep on coming, if the scammers weren't making money from them, they'd give up and turn their attention elsewhere.

Like the major attempted scam of Universal Credit which was in the news yesterday, could have been upwards of £1bn scammed if it hadn't have been spotted.

Heartsmad1874

I think we can all say we would ignore spam messages/emails but in the heat of the moment when maybe you're not fully aware it can be very easy just to click on a link in an email and boom you're caught out.

I personally love the email telling me my car road tax is due. Doesn't tell me what kind of car I own or the date it runs out, just that it's due. They really do pray on the stupid.

Салатные палочки

An email from Royal Mail?  Nope. 

A text from HMRC?  Nope.  

If a company tries to contact you any other way than they normally would, DON'T REPLY.  It's that simple.  Well it should be.  

7 minutes ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

I think we can all say we would ignore spam messages/emails but in the heat of the moment when maybe you're not fully aware it can be very easy just to click on a link in an email and boom you're caught out.

The email wasn’t the biggest mistake. 

21 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Are E-Mail addresses handed out by internet providers ? 

Remember getting  a phone call from british gas , a follow up to a job that was done, i started asking the poor guy loads of questions to prove it was them, 

Maybe i was being over cautious in this instance.😏.

Edited by Harry Potter

Heartsmad1874
6 minutes ago, Dazo said:

The email wasn’t the biggest mistake. 

Just read the article. Jeezo, she's been well and truly done there. What a shame.

Scammers are always persistent once they know they can get you once they'll keep coming back.

Bullshit. 
If it’s a scam the bank will honour the money taken. I discovered a couple of years ago a mysterious direct debit had being taking £30 a month out of one of my accounts. I hadn’t noticed as all my DD’s come out one two date, the start of the month and the middle so I only ever checked those date stupidly. This went on for almost a year before I spotted it. Turned out to be linked to a PPV site I’d used to watch a hockey game. Cleverly they had the direct debit payments going to an account linked to a “adult” site, obviously hoping people would be embarrassed to go to the bank. When I visited the bank their fraud claims department gave me the lot back, £300 by then. 
Though it did lead to the amusing exchange in the bank when the person told me it was a dogging website and was I sure it wasn’t legit. I found my self blurting out “I’ve not even got a bloody car!” 

53 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Are E-Mail addresses handed out by internet providers ? 

Remember getting  a phone call from british gas , a follow up to a job that was done, i started asking the poor guy loads of questions to prove it was them, 

Maybe i was being over cautious in this instance.😏.

The scammers probably bought her email address along with millions of others on the dark web.

However it doesn't matter how they got it, the simple plain fact is never ever follow a link in an unsolicited email, it's really that simple.

jack D and coke

Scams you say? 😱

I’ve won a few lotteries and lately scooped the jackpot on the Bill Gates Microsoft lottery! Unfortunately had to give it all to the pesky feckers that keep telling me they’ve caught me masterbating on my webcams...
Should be feckin minted☹️

I consider myself pretty on the ball for these things but sometimes it just comes down to timing/luck for them.

Earlier in the year I was transferring my number/cancelling a contract from EE to Three. That month I had also misplaced my bank card and had it replaced and cancelled. On the day of the number transfer I received a Text from 'EE' asking my to pay my bill as they had failed to take payment.

Putting all the dots together I assumed they had my old card details and the payment for my final bill had been rejected. I followed the link to update my new card details, they never specifically asked for any money. 

I think it was literally about 20 seconds after I submitted my info I clicked that the txt came from a random mobile number and not the contact EE. Realised it was a scam and managed to cancel the card before they could take anything. 

Any other time period where I wasn't going through a contract change I would have easily identified it as a scam.

8 minutes ago, muldoon74 said:

Get this at least twice a month. 

Don't even have an apple account, never have! 😂

It's the shitty English that gets me... 

Screenshot_20201125_122458_com.microsoft.office.outlook.jpg

I’ve had one from PayPal pretty much the same a few times in the last week. All it takes to suss it out is that the email address it comes from is just random letters and numbers. That and they fact they have spelled PayPal wrongly in the body of the email. 

5 minutes ago, muldoon74 said:

Get this at least twice a month. 

Don't even have an apple account, never have! 😂

It's the shitty English that gets me... 

Screenshot_20201125_122458_com.microsoft.office.outlook.jpg

These and the Netflix, Google Play, iTunes, TV Licence, Road Tax, Paypal etc etc etc, oh and lets not forget about those wonderful people at HMRC who constantly try to give you hundreds of pounds in tax rebates. 

But the sad thing is some people fall for them, and as long as they do the scammers will come out with ever more ways to fleece the unwary of their money.

28 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

:lol: I prefer the Nigerian Prince emails. 

Or the suitcase which was left at the UN with several million Swiss Francs in it with your name on the package. 

1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

The scammers probably bought her email address along with millions of others on the dark web.

However it doesn't matter how they got it, the simple plain fact is never ever follow a link in an unsolicited email, it's really that simple.

Aye bud, 👍

I delete any e-mails I don't recognise without even opening them and know my bank etc wouldn't ask me to click on a link within an e-mail.

Same with text messages. Delete.

Letters regularly get ripped up before theyre even opened.

Any phone numbers I dont know get ignored and then put on "block this number".

I dont answer calls from withheld numbers.

If I unwittingly answer a call at home and its an ambulance chaser etc. I tell them in my loudest voice to STOP, TAKE A STEP BACK AND LITERALLY GO **** YOUR OWN FACE!!! then hang up.

Feck em. Annoying people seemed to have grown into an industry!

Got one from HMRC once, it had to be a piss take because it went something like this... 

Dear[email address].. 

We are pleased to inform the tax rebate amount of to the dollars $6500. 

To be eligible you MUST inform us of your intentions to claim you dollar rebates by [a date very soon]. 

Click next link to enter details of intended card recipient. 

I mean ffs... Although I have sympathy for people falling for what can be quite convincing looking scans, fall for this and you almost deserve it.. (Almost, I'm not a total *******)... 

1 hour ago, Tazio said:

I’ve had one from PayPal pretty much the same a few times in the last week. All it takes to suss it out is that the email address it comes from is just random letters and numbers. That and they fact they have spelled PayPal wrongly in the body of the email. 

The words 'Dear Customer' set the alarm bells ringing for me. Any legit company you have dealing with will call you by your name.

2 hours ago, Cruyff said:

They are vile folk. 

I enjoy watching guys like Jim the hacker here taking these clowns down. 

Awesome. This guy is great as well. Does different characters and really messes with these chumps. 

Most of them are very easy to spot these days unless you're a complete numpty.

I almost fell for one quite a few years back.

I'm on paperless banking and got an email from my bank that showed the correct sender when checking that out; link sent me to a piggybacked fake web page that was identical to the real bank page, including the URL.

Alarm bells started ringing when it was asking for my address (your bank knows that already).

Confirmed as a scam when the next page wanted sort code and pin number.

Mind you that was a few years ago and web browsers are better at not letting piggyback/fake pages to have inauthentic addresses these days!

If nobody fell for the scams, they'd stop.

Sadly, a small percentage of people do fall for them so they keep casting their nets hoping to land another unsuspecting victim.

Like a lassie at a place I worked at, she was getting bombarded with all kinds of scam emails, phone calls and letters and kept bloody responding to them.

One of them was a "psychic" who had predicted health, wealth and happiness for the lassie but only if she paid £50 for the psychic to buy special crystals to channel

the energy.

Had to give up trying to help the lassie, she was beyond help. I dread to think how much of her money she just gave up to these assorted scammers.

Edited by Cade

Not a scam as such....... but last year I decided to have a wee bit fun with someone from these annoying no win no fee legal companies who phone  you out the blue to break the news that apparently you've been in a road accident.  😲

Woman on phone -  "Before we proceed sir, can you just confirm your name please ?"

Me - "No need to do that surely ?  You must know my name since you know my phone number"

Woman on phone - "No, that's not how it works.    I need to check that you are the person who had the accident"

Me -  "Ahh ok then.  Can you tell which accident you're phoning about."

Woman on phone - " Emmmm .... the recent one".

Me -  "Was it the one in Aberdeen or the one in Glasgow"

Woman on phone - "I'm not allowed to tell you those details, sir"

Me - "What a co-incidence ..... because I'm not allowed to tell you my name.  Thanks for calling though. Goodbye"

Made me feel smug for a day or two.  :greggy:

2 hours ago, Cruyff said:

They are vile folk. 

I enjoy watching guys like Jim the hacker here taking these clowns down. 

He’s superb. 

29 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Not a scam as such....... but last year I decided to have a wee bit fun with someone from these annoying no win no fee legal companies who phone  you out the blue to break the news that apparently you've been in a road accident.  😲

Woman on phone -  "Before we proceed sir, can you just confirm your name please ?"

Me - "No need to do that surely ?  You must know my name since you know my phone number"

Woman on phone - "No, that's not how it works.    I need to check that you are the person who had the accident"

Me - "What a co-incidence ..... because I'm not allowed to tell you my name.  Thanks for calling though. Goodbye"

I'd love to be able to do something like this, but I'm too hot headed and just tell them to F...Off.

Although I'd really like when asked my name and address is to say.

Frodo Baggins

Bag End

Bagshot Row

Hobbiton

The Shire

Middle Earth

And see how long it is before they twig and hang up on you.  :rofl:

26 minutes ago, King prawn said:

615B03B3-6970-4FDB-9EBD-2EEC606589B5.thumb.png.6bd9547994ee040f429e2e2190a66fcb.png

got this the other day .... the doughnut 

Same,got something similar about my road tax being due. Nope it is due September

The Real Maroonblood
52 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Got one of these this morning.

About you recent car accident.

Would that be the one I was involved in 40 years ago?

Idiots.

Do they get your mobile number from a third party or is it just random?

43 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

Same,got something similar about my road tax being due. Nope it is due September

the guy in that also sent it from his hotmail account with his profile picture. Forwarded it on to the scam police, hopefully he'll get what he deserves. 

33 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Idiots.

They pay for the information I think. 

32 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Idiots.

Has to be third party, I'm ex-directory on my land-line and that doesn't stop them, they get your number somehow.

Sawdust Caesar
2 hours ago, muldoon74 said:

Got one from HMRC once, it had to be a piss take because it went something like this... 

Dear[email address].. 

We are pleased to inform the tax rebate amount of to the dollars $6500. 

To be eligible you MUST inform us of your intentions to claim you dollar rebates by [a date very soon]. 

Click next link to enter details of intended card recipient. 

I mean ffs... Although I have sympathy for people falling for what can be quite convincing looking scans, fall for this and you almost deserve it.. (Almost, I'm not a total *******)... 

Through my work I saw a copy of a scam letter that had been sent to someone. The letter was telling this guy that he had inherited €900,000 (but it did not supply the name of the dead relative/friend who had bequeathed him this fortune) but before he could get it he had to pay a clearance tax of €40,000 as the money was being held in a Swiss bank, which he paid. The letter he received had on the top right of the page the logo for H.M. Treasury. Underneath that was the logo of the Foreign Office and across the page was the logo of HMRC. At the foot of the page were several other smaller logos and pictures, one of which was of the Public and Commercial Services Union (PCS) which said "Support the action in HMRC" so this guy fell for a letter which supposedly came from 3 different gov depts. in one letter, which also had a picture of a union sticker which was asking people to support their industrial action against HMRC.