Christmas Hampers

Carl Fredrickson

Carl Fredrickson

After recommendations for a Christmas hamper. Looking to send one to a local family, spend about £100 with alcohol included. 

Checked Costco, Dobbies and John Lewis. 

Does anyone know of anywhere in Midlothian/Edinburgh area that do decent ones?

Thanks in advance

Lidl. £100 will get you a massive amount of messages including yer don revie. 4 pleccy bags fu of grub, a box of beer and 3 bottles of wine...Plus a circular saw!

Edited by Pans Jambo

SectionDJambo
17 minutes ago, Ma Roon said:

You could make up your own

The best idea.

That way you get goods that people need, or want, rather than some goods that the retailer wants to push out, due to being an unpopular item that they may have had to take in, as part of a deal for other, more popular goods.

If it’s a gift (rather than helping out a family in need) I’d go Fortnum & Mason. You won’t get as much stuff as if you raided Lidl, but it’s meant to be a treat rather than a weekly shop. Delivery is less than a fiver. 

8 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

Lidl. £100 will get you a massive amount of messages including yer don revie. 4 pleccy bags fu of grub, a box of beer and 3 bottles of wine...Plus a circular saw!

Reminds me of the crap hampers my mum used to get, where you paid up all year and got a big box of messages. A lot of crap you wouldn't normally buy, all brands you'd never heard of.  No circular saw though. :D It was like foodbank de luxe.

Carl Fredrickson

Thanks for the replies, did consider making one myself but being a single parent and a carer time available time is limited. I would also not be able to do as good a job as others. 

It is a gift so will check out F&M - the delivery charge is reasonable. 

Thanks for the replies

2 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Thanks for the replies, did consider making one myself but being a single parent and a carer time available time is limited. I would also not be able to do as good a job as others. 

It is a gift so will check out F&M - the delivery charge is reasonable. 

Thanks for the replies

Had enough buying hampers full of useless crap like shortbread and poached pears, so going to head to Waitrose this year and buy a ton of stuff. Sure you can order their stuff online, think even Marks might deliver these days.

12 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

Had enough buying hampers full of useless crap like shortbread and poached pears, so going to head to Waitrose this year and buy a ton of stuff. Sure you can order their stuff online, think even Marks might deliver these days.

Thinking back to the crap my mum had in hampers, the worst thing must have been a whole feckin cooked chicken in a can. 🤮

If the OP is looking for something snobby, Harrods have a good range.

Carl Fredrickson
6 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

Thinking back to the crap my mum had in hampers, the worst thing must have been a whole feckin cooked chicken in a can. 🤮

If the OP is looking for something snobby, Harrods have a good range.

Ta. Looking for something a wee bit better than cooked chicken in a can. Some nice drinks and nibbles kind of thing.

Looked at Baxters and Walkers too but tins of soup isnt the kind of thing I am after. Will check out Harrods. 

Just now, Dawnrazor said:

That's my best mate's Brother in Law's farm, they make some fantastic jam, we got some summer fruit jam last year, the best we've ever had. Good quality stuff.

Great veg and fruit boxes, was a godsend during first lockdown! Decent butcher as well.

All round great place tbh.

4 minutes ago, Jambomb said:

Great veg and fruit boxes, was a godsend during first lockdown! Decent butcher as well.

All round great place tbh.

That's the future template for british farms imo, local, seasonal produce with fewer food miles and better welfare for stock.

4 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Thanks for the link. Went fruit picking their a couple of summers ago and had a great time. 

This year I bought a £15 hamper from B&M,threw away the rubbish and added in local produce. Beer, gin etc...

2 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

That's the future template for british farms imo, local, seasonal produce with fewer food miles and better welfare for stock.

Yea I love just using seasonal veg, makes you appreciate it more and quality much better from farms.

1 minute ago, Jambomb said:

Yea I love just using seasonal veg, makes you appreciate it more and quality much better from farms.

If more people did this, and lobbied supermarkets to stock locally, the British farm would be more sustainable.