Once he gets a goal......

Салатные палочки

Салатные палочки

I've heard this bandied about a lot recently. Most notably with Boyce but also with McBurnie and Scotland. It got me thinking, who was the last striker we had that didn't hit the ground running but when they did score they couldn't stop? 

The only one that I can really think of was McSwegan. He couldn't score in the proverbial barrel of lady's parts at first and it took him until about March to get his first one. That was twenty years ago. 

I suppose my point is it rarely happens. 

I was very happy when we got Wyness. Thought we had a real striker there.

I was stoked when we got Sutton. Thought we had a real striker there.

I thought Nade was going to do a De Vries.

I thought Boyce was going to fire us to safety.

I've stopped getting excited by any strikers we sign. That way if they do hit double figures then I'm pleasantly surprised.

2 minutes ago, JamboAndrew said:

I was very happy when we got Wyness. Thought we had a real striker there.

I was stoked when we got Sutton. Thought we had a real striker there.

I thought Nade was going to do a De Vries.

I thought Boyce was going to fire us to safety.

I've stopped getting excited by any strikers we sign. That way if they do hit double figures then I'm pleasantly surprised.

The best way to be. 

Corstorphine Jambo
1 hour ago, Smoked-Glass said:

Fuller

I remember phoning my brother after, I’m sure, a defeat at Tynecastle v Livingston (McKenna late consolation?) to say I’d seen the worst player ever in a Hearts jersey. Fast forward 2 to 3 weeks and he was one of the most exciting talents I’d seen in maroon! To be honest, I don’t hold out much hope of history being repeated with some of our summer signings -  I live in hope rather than expectation. With Hearts, I always do.

7 minutes ago, Corstorphine Jambo said:

I remember phoning my brother after, I’m sure, a defeat at Tynecastle v Livingston (McKenna late consolation?) to say I’d seen the worst player ever in a Hearts jersey. Fast forward 2 to 3 weeks and he was one of the most exciting talents I’d seen in maroon! To be honest, I don’t hold out much hope of history being repeated with some of our summer signings -  I live in hope rather than expectation. With Hearts, I always do.

I think I must have seen Fuller every time he played for us, at home at least. I don't have the stats but I doubt he played 20 games. He was the most exciting player I ever saw for us. Every time he had the ball I expected a goal and his subsequent career bore the out.

4 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

I think I must have seen Fuller every time he played for us, at home at least. I don't have the stats but I doubt he played 20 games. He was the most exciting player I ever saw for us. Every time he had the ball I expected a goal and his subsequent career bore the out.

My barber is a Stoke fan and he reckons Fuller was one of the most exciting talents he'd seen in recent years.

10 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

I thought he was Ted McMinn on steroids! I was gobsmacked when he went south!

August Landmesser

Mark De Vries took a while to get going, didn't get his first until about 40 minutes in. Sluggish... 

Mind we had a wee fat striker. Did absolutely nothing outside the box. Only thing he did was score a few times against Hibs. What was his name... Ron Jobertson? 

He does a lot of great work and graft outside the box , runs the channels well can h old up the ball for others.

That mantra actually got drummed into our head by continuous managers that much it actually started to become what some fans wanted in a striker.**** that give me goals the stuff above is a bonus.

3 hours ago, Marvin said:

My barber is a Stoke fan and he reckons Fuller was one of the most exciting talents he'd seen in recent years.

He is adored down there and still turns out for a local amateur side. 

Just now, BarneyBattles said:

If you don’t think Robbo did anything outside the box you’re really not remembering very well. 

Ffs i was joking mate 

David Wittenveen :rofl::rofl:

Not at Hearts unfortunately.

Still playing in Austria 23 goals in 45 appearances for an Austrian Division 24 side 😂

23 minutes ago, LeftBack said:

Ffs i was joking mate 

I saw that, H. 👍

You’ve obviously not forgotten how good he was.

22 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

He is adored down there and still turns out for a local amateur side. 

His career was plagued by injury

But for that he had the potential to be an established EPL striker scoring 15 plus on a regular basis

We only got him because a move broke down due to injury and he was put in the shop window when he came to us...we did not have the money to complete a deal...went to Preston and scored 11 in 20 matches prior to another injury..failed medicals meant no move for a while but scored 31 in 63 appearances for Preston before a kind of pay as you play fee was worked out but he had already been hit by cruciate knee problems

A what if player but in his case I think he would have been top class but for his injuries and had we the money and had he been fit the transfer fee would have been the best we had seen up to then

Craig Wighton was definitely one that I used this phrase for. I was just happy for the lad to get one, let alone a hat trick vs Raith, the winner at Abroath and a derby goal too.

Hopefully many more to come.

4 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

McSwegan struggled to hit barn door.

But once started, he could certainly score.

He was decent. Compared to the strikers we’ve had to endure recently he was like Karl Heinz Rummenigge

Edited by 1971fozzy

9 hours ago, Jambo61 said:

I thought he was Ted McMinn on steroids! I was gobsmacked when he went south!

Fuller

Can't remember the game (may have been the Livi one by an earlier poster), I turned to my mate and said "another dud".

Every time he got the ball after that, you sat forward and expected some mental bit of trickery. Fantastic player.

Don't understand the quote above. Are  you saying that you thought he wasn't good enough??

Gutted when Craig Brown signed him for Preston.

Now my memory is sketchy. He got a really bad knee injury, was it with us or at Preston?

9 hours ago, Locky said:

Craig Wighton was definitely one that I used this phrase for. I was just happy for the lad to get one, let alone a hat trick vs Raith, the winner at Abroath and a derby goal too.

Hopefully many more to come.

This x25 this season please. Same with Boyce if those two could link up and be anything like Cole and York were at utd at the turn of the millennium then we will have goals 

Fuller

Can't remember the game (may have been the Livi one by an earlier poster), I turned to my mate and said "another dud".

Every time he got the ball after that, you sat forward and expected some mental bit of trickery. Fantastic player.

Don't understand the quote above. Are  you saying that you thought he wasn't good enough??

Now my memory is sketchy. He got a really bad knee injury, was it with us or at Preston?

I had a look at his stats and he played 28 times for us. He had knee injuries throughout his career or he might have made a bigger impact at a higher level than the relatively modest clubs he played for (after us)🙂. There was something electric about his game, athletic, unpredictable, fast, skillful, really entertaining to watch. 

Edited by upgotheheads

12 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

I wasn't too convinced when I first saw Velicka but he turned out to be a very good striker.

Best natural finisher at the club (as a striker) since Robbo. 

Fuller

He scored a goal at the Roseburn end, about five step overs and low in the corner.  That was before Easter road.  Genuinely brilliant footballer at a time when Levein could spot a player. 

13 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

Fuller was amazing from the first game.  

Naw he wasn't. 

Debut was that Easter Road game when useless de ls cruz scored in 35 seconds

15 hours ago, Corstorphine Jambo said:

When he first came to Hearts he was unfit,but you could still see there was a player there,once he got fit he was a class player!

32 minutes ago, Smoked-Glass said:

Naw he wasn't. 

Wasn’t there.  His first home game he was fantastic. 

13 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

Did Fuller get brought down for a penalty in that game? Long time ago!

Nah that was the second game. He scored brought down for the winner. 

28 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

Did Fuller get brought down for a penalty in that game? Long time ago!

Naw that was our 2nd visit to fester road

15 hours ago, Marvin said:

Technically, one of the best that I have ever seen play for us. That goal Vs Motherwell. He sliced through their defence like a knife through butter. Was absolutely gutted when he left. What a player 😍

6 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Fuller

He was undoubtedly tricky as even he didn't appear to know what would happen next!

He ran with his head down and just kept going. He never was aware of others and never passed to a mate to the point they gave up running into space! He was not a team player and yes I thought he was mince for us! 27 appearances 8 goals, a plethora given our recent strikers!

2 hours ago, Restonbabe said:

This x25 this season please. Same with Boyce if those two could link up and be anything like Cole and York were at utd at the turn of the millennium then we will have goals 

My problem with Boyce, is he's too selfless. He's always trying to play others back in when what we need, is someone who's no nonsense and just sticks the ball in the back of the net. Walker, Wighton, Naismith etc. have all got the ability to do that dirty work, there's no need for Boyce to lay it off for someone more clinical, when he in fact is the clinical one.

2 hours ago, Smoked-Glass said:

Naw he wasn't. 

My memory might be deceiving me, but I recall his performance in that Easter Road game as being one of the worst individual performances I've ever seen. It was real keystone cops, falling over the ball slapstick stuff - like he'd never seen a football! 

Would never have believed how brilliant he actually was after seeing that performance. 

Edited by Aaron78

2 hours ago, Aaron78 said:

My memory might be deceiving me, but I recall his performance in that Easter Road game as being one of the worst individual performances I've ever seen. It was real keystone cops, falling over the ball slapstick stuff - like he'd never seen a football! 

Would never have believed how brilliant he actually was after seeing that performance. 

Was pissing rain that day. Match is on youtube

queensferryjambo
21 hours ago, Smoked-Glass said:

Kirk was garbage m8

I always thought Kirk was actually pretty decent. He had a pretty decent strike rate and ran himself into the ground for us.

Injuries were the only thing that hampered his Hearts career.