Souttar

kingantti1874

7 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

I don't even think about him as a Hearts player anymore. Just another 'what could've been' from our conveyor belt of crocks.

Between the Woman's Guild in the office recruiting and dishing out the t's and c's on their contracts,, Dougie Howser MD and Doctor Nick Riveira in the medical room, 5 Moray House placement students doing the sport science and Hoddit and Doddit as groundskeeers doing their weekly bob a job our players truly are ****ed.

Thanks i8. Inspirational stuff as usual. Do you offer such sage advice on the Fab Four as well? Love to hear your thoughts on Linda McCartney and Yoko. 

17 minutes ago, Georgecowie said:

Thanks i8. Inspirational stuff as usual. Do you offer such sage advice on the Fab Four as well? Love to hear your thoughts on Linda McCartney and Yoko. 

Linda was lovely and my hatred towards Yoko is no more. It is difficult to hate a women in her mid 80s. I may even ease off Ann in 10 years.

They both inspired a shit load of amazing solo work too, so only fair to mention that.  I also find Lindas love of Scotland very warming.

Edited by i8hibsh

3 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

Linda was lovely and my hatred towards Yoko is no more. It is difficult to hate a women in her mid 80s. I may even ease off Ann in 10 years.

They both inspired a shit load of amazing solo work too, so only fair to mention that.  I also find Lindas love of Scotland very warming.

Well thought off in Campbelltown with a nice memorial. Not much of a keyboard player though. 

14 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Well thought off in Campbelltown with a nice memorial. Not much of a keyboard player though. 

Her vegetarian sausages were nothing to write home about 

19 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Proficient for sure. Being taught of a musical genius like McCartney for years, you are going to  be able to hold your own.

What worries me about Souttar is this: a torn Achilles tendon is an uncommon injury. For a player to get that injury twice, let alone three times, makes me wonder if there’s something the matter with his connective tissues.

39 minutes ago, Doc Rob said:

What worries me about Souttar is this: a torn Achilles tendon is an uncommon injury. For a player to get that injury twice, let alone three times, makes me wonder if there’s something the matter with his connective tissues.

Typical doubter with your medical nonsense...  

been here before
13 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

But he is a doctor 😉

Probably dislaying a level of expertise that rules him out of the threads on here then. The JKB Experts On Everything will soon put him and his medical knowledge to the sword.

AllyjamboDerbyshire
On 24/11/2020 at 10:31, i8hibsh said:

Proficient for sure. Being taught of a musical genius like McCartney for years, you are going to  be able to hold your own.

Saw Wings at the Odeon on their first tour and was pleasantly surprised to find she could hold her own on the keyboard, though she didn't do much more than play chords along with the guitars. Importantly she didn't try to play anything she wasn't capable of playing but did get a telling off at one point for tinkling the keys between songs. As you'd expect with McCartney, every chord, note and voice was spot on and in this, again to my surprise, his missus made no mistakes with her backing vocals. You are so right, though, to say that learning from a musical genius ensures at least adequacy.

Off topic, I suppose, but the Odeon wasn't that far from Tynecastle (when you were young), and a lot closer if you ran:HeartsManspotrun:

19 minutes ago, AllyjamboDerbyshire said:

Saw Wings at the Odeon on their first tour and was pleasantly surprised to find she could hold her own on the keyboard, though she didn't do much more than play chords along with the guitars. Importantly she didn't try to play anything she wasn't capable of playing but did get a telling off at one point for tinkling the keys between songs. As you'd expect with McCartney, every chord, note and voice was spot on and in this, again to my surprise, his missus made no mistakes with her backing vocals. You are so right, though, to say that learning from a musical genius ensures at least adequacy.

Off topic, I suppose, but the Odeon wasn't that far from Tynecastle (when you were young), and a lot closer if you ran:HeartsManspotrun:

Was at that one. Sound system went down for a while but they carried on regardless. 

How did a thread about John Souttar descend into a discussion on seeing Wings at The Odeon almost 50 years ago?  Fwiw, I never saw Wings live, not my cup of tea, but my first gig was at The Odeon to watch a proper band - The Damned!

Sub4TiddlerMurray
16 minutes ago, RobNox said:

How did a thread about John Souttar descend into a discussion on seeing Wings at The Odeon almost 50 years ago?  Fwiw, I never saw Wings live, not my cup of tea, but my first gig was at The Odeon to watch a proper band - The Damned!

mine was AC/DC at Leith Town Hall

AllyjamboDerbyshire
1 hour ago, jr ewing said:

Was at that one. Sound system went down for a while but they carried on regardless. 

You must have been at the second performance, first went without a hitch, as far as I can remember, and I'd have remembered something like that, I'm sure. 

1 hour ago, RobNox said:

Golden Earring for me! Drummer did a 5 minute solo then dived out over the drums, got up ran back and started again. No idea why!

2 hours ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

Another proper band, and as a Leither I have to give you extra kudos

1 hour ago, Jambo61 said:

Golden Earring for me! Drummer did a 5 minute solo then dived out over the drums, got up ran back and started again. No idea why!

I remember seeing Radar Love on TOTP, the drummer did have a habit of jumping over his kit.  Rat Scabies of The Damned often set his kit on fire before trashing it.  Drummers seem to be rock music's equivalent of goalies, a breed of their own and often as daft as a brush.

It reminds me of my favourite drummer joke...

Q. What's the difference between a drummer and a drum machine?

A. With a drum machine, you only need to punch the instructions in once.

J.T.F.Robertson
4 hours ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

Jimmy James and the Vagabonds - Magoos. (I think)

John would've liked Jimmy. ;)

Sub4TiddlerMurray
4 hours ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

Jimmy James and the Vagabonds - Magoos. (I think)

John would've liked Jimmy. ;)

Awesome!

Magoos... that's even before my time but I remember the front of it (if it's the same place) as a kid in the High Street just across from John Knox's House...is that the one?

Sub4TiddlerMurray
6 hours ago, RobNox said:

Another proper band, and as a Leither I have to give you extra kudos

That's dangerous talk around these parts! LOL

(I'm a proud Jambo Leither too BTW)

BangkokHearts
On 24/11/2020 at 17:26, Mister T said:

Ahead of the curve though with all the plant based 'meat' available now.

On 24/11/2020 at 10:26, Mister T said:

They were compared to what was passed off as 'bacon' which was extraordinarily awful. One of the few foodstuffs truly outranked by cardboard. 

10 hours ago, RobNox said:

Did see The Clash, The Specials and Thin Lizzy at the Odeon but my first was Santana at the Playhouse 😎

Edited by moonraker

17 hours ago, RobNox said:

I like it when threads derail.

Boomtown Rats for me. 78 I think.

Punks my arse. Wonder what our punk legend thought of them.

Trying a further derailment.

Edited by Tommy Brown

56 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

First was Hawkwind in the Caley picture house Lothian road. Only knew one song, it was rubbish.

J.T.F.Robertson
9 hours ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

Awesome!

Magoos... that's even before my time but I remember the front of it (if it's the same place) as a kid in the High Street just across from John Knox's House...is that the one?

Was a loooong time ago but aye, it was kicking around that area.

2 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

At Tiffany's perchance? Never seen so much spittle. Always best catching bands in small venues rather than e.g. stadiums. 7th September 1977. How time flies!

20201127_181625.jpg

Lord Beni of Gorgie
8 hours ago, Jim Panzee said:

any news on John Soutter then?

Was thinking the same. Not even remotely on topic 

March 2021

Was orig out for season but progress to date has been good.

Do you risk an early return though even if all the tests/scans etc are passed ?

Borders Jambo
On 24/11/2020 at 00:06, Uncle Buck said:

Bet he could play with two ruptured achilies and a blind fold, and still be our best centre half.

”He’s finished” - absolute nonsense.

I very much hope this even if he doesn't hit the heights we all hoped he would, I hope at least a competent player in our league who enjoys his football without worrying about breaking down.

2 hours ago, CJGJ said:

March 2021

Was orig out for season but progress to date has been good.

Do you risk an early return though even if all the tests/scans etc are passed ?

Given his history, I'd be inclined not to risk bringing him back fully this season, unless we are really struggling in defence.

Maybe we could introduce him gradually towards the end of the season, in the same way that Robbie brought Haring back in gently.  Build him up slowly so he is in peak condition for the 2021 Scottish Cup Final.

Called this about 2 years ago. Through no fault of his own he is just 'one of those players' unfortunately. Decent player but he is completely finished. He will return from this injury, at least for a while until his next injury. His body will be suffering too much.  He is made of glass. He will retire within 18 months.  His and our bad luck that sadly, for us has cost us a fortune.

Ask yourself this, has any player went on to have a long successful career after 2 horrendous career threatening injuries (as well as less serious injuries) at such an early stage in his career? If you think this is even possible then you are deluded.

Edited by i8hibsh

He was thrown in too early at Dundee United and played too often at too early a stage. 7 years as a pro and he has had 2 career ending injuries as well as about 3 other small more minor injuries iirc (ankle, etc). It works out at almost 1 injury every season.

10 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

Called this about 2 years ago. Through no fault of his own he is just 'one of those players' unfortunately. Decent player but he is completely finished. He will return from this injury, at least for a while until his next injury. His body will be suffering too much.  He is made of glass. He will retire within 18 months.  His and our bad luck that sadly, for us has cost us a fortune.

We didn't pay much for him, and you can't 'lose' a fortune you never had.

1 hour ago, upgotheheads said:

We didn't pay much for him, and you can't 'lose' a fortune you never had.

I said "cost us a fortune". salaries, rehab, expenses, physios etc. Unless you think it is all free?  He has been a very poor signing.  The signs of his fragility were there from his very early days at United.

Basically, we have invested heavily for very little return*

*not the fault of the player

Edited by i8hibsh

If you buy an Audi TT with one previous owner and spends half the time in the garage it would be classed as a bad investment.

1 minute ago, i8hibsh said:

If you buy an Audi TT with one previous owner and spends half the time in the garage it would be classed as a bad investment.

You have a bee in yer bonnet about Souttar, for sure. 

6 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

You have a bee in yer bonnet about Souttar, for sure. 

He is a very decent player Dave imo and I am gutted he is not playing every week. But he is just another poor signing from our club and another example of poor man management.  He should've joined Sunderland (I think) and avoided us.  We simply do not harvest the crop. We plant lots of seeds but that is it. Our academy is practically fruitless and these young promising players we continue to sign end up on the scrapheap.  Questions need to be asked.

21 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

He is a very decent player Dave imo and I am gutted he is not playing every week. But he is just another poor signing from our club and another example of poor man management.  He should've joined Sunderland (I think) and avoided us.  We simply do not harvest the crop. We plant lots of seeds but that is it. Our academy is practically fruitless and these young promising players we continue to sign end up on the scrapheap.  Questions need to be asked.

No doubt he has been injured far to long but what about the important games he has been involved in.

He has played close to 100 games for us which is not bad for someone we got cheap.

Also worth every penny of his medical bills for that tackle of Brandon Barker 😁

9 minutes ago, Madjambo21 said:

No doubt he has been injured far to long but what about the important games he has been involved in.

He has played close to 100 games for us which is not bad for someone we got cheap.

It was a belter.

I shop in Lidl mj as I like getting more for my money.  Souttar was a Waitrose signing.  We could've got more for our money at Lidl.

7 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

It was a belter.

I shop in Lidl mj as I like getting more for my money.  Souttar was a Waitrose signing.  We could've got more for our money at Lidl.

Problem with Lidl signings is no doubt you get some decent ones but that bargain isle in the middle can give you a Grzelak 

Christ most of our signings have been from poundland in the last few years then 😬

Still hope Souttar has a future playing but do worry this could be the end for him.

portobellojambo1
32 minutes ago, Madjambo21 said:

John Souttar tends to remind me a lot of Andy Webster, in terms of his presence on the field. Like Webster I never walked away from a game thinking Souttar was superb today, both just got on with what they had to do without doing anything spectacular. But again, like Webster, it is only now Souttar isn't in the team you realise more just how much better we look when he is there. A three with Gordon in goal and Halkett and Souttar in front of him and Smith and Kingsley at full back sounds like a comfortable base for going forward.

Edited by portobellojambo1
Pish spelling

3 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

Very few cars, especially cars like Audi TT, are investments, they're almost always a depreciating asset. If Football clubs only ever signed players who couldn't be injured they would never sign anyone. And since Bosman no player can ever be described as an investment.

2 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

Very few cars, especially cars like Audi TT, are investments, they're almost always a depreciating asset. If Football clubs only ever signed players who couldn't be injured they would never sign anyone. And since Bosman no player can ever be described as an investment.

We invest money in him every week in the hope of a return.