Getting Old

FWJ

3 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I've barely swung a mash hammer in anger since I finished my degrees either tbh, but it's handy having a trade when you need to renovate your own manor or could do with a wee homer or two to dig you out of a hole. 

Best of luck with whatever you're studying. 👍

Yep, defo. 

Thanks Gov. 👍 

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Real Maroonblood

• Morgan

• luckyBatistuta

• redjambo

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

I'm only 28 but I seem to have a sore back very regularly. It's fine when I'm sitting down but if I get up sharply or move in a certain way I can either get a sharp pain or a twinge somewhere. I think it is golf related as I've played a lot more this year than ever before but it is a concern.

For a couple of weeks I had a really sore left knee as soon as I put any pressure on it, so much so that on the golf course I wasn't able to get down and line up my putts properly as the pressure was too much.

Thankfully the knee pain has gone but I'm worrying that my body is beginning to fall apart already.

6 minutes ago, Dr. Sheldon Cooper said:

I'm only 28 but I seem to have a sore back very regularly. It's fine when I'm sitting down but if I get up sharply or move in a certain way I can either get a sharp pain or a twinge somewhere. I think it is golf related as I've played a lot more this year than ever before but it is a concern.

I'd suggest you give pilates or yoga a go, or else your back is likely to be in complete rag order by the time you reach 38.

36 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

I'd suggest you give pilates or yoga a go, or else your back is likely to be in complete rag order by the time you reach 38.

In my seventies I played golf seven days a week, so much that one beautiful morning I was asking god to make it pour of rain so I wouldn't be able to play. I am not trying to be smart but you have more problems at 28 than I have had into my eighties. As suggested you should consider some form of exercise program to get all your muscles working, there i no doubt golf can be hard on the back particularly, again not being smart but it may be worth getting someone to check your swing. Good luck with it, and keep swinging and exercising it really helps general health.

10 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Been off the tools since like summer 2019 but in the last week I've been putting in eight new doors for my sister and my back is absolutely fecked. Just put on some deep heat. I used to go to the gym in the morning, do a whole day doing carpentry & joinery, go to the pub or play football at night. Now I can barely bend down to pick something off the floor. :rofl:It's terrible like. Think I need to take up yoga or something. 🤣

You've probably pulled a muscle.  Welcome to the club! I've done it numerous times.

Take it easy and it will heal soon enough.  However, that muscle will always be vulnerable to further injury, so you have to be careful otherwise you'll just set it off again.

If you have to bend over, do it slowly.  If possible, lean on something while you're bending to put less load on the back muscles.

Yep, you're getting old, so adjust.  :wheelchair:

Doctor FinnBarr
3 hours ago, Ulysses said:

My back (at 59) is in pieces now I think. warehousing isn't the best job I could be doing. When i do 3 days on the trot I'm in pain on the 3rd day, if I do 4 I'm in agony on the 4th day. On the 3 times a year I do a 5 day stretch I put a holiday to save myself. I really need to win the Euromillions.

And if I could go into a rant just now I'd rant about not getting that job in stock control that they gave to a wee Polish lassie, they only interviewed females for the job, seems my tits ain't big enough (and according to my team manager) having something called an "open pussy" helps a lot, his words, not mine.

Edited by FinnBarr Saunders

Dr. Sheldon Cooper
6 hours ago, Ulysses said:

I do karate, but for obvious reasons there hasn't been a class since March. I'm wondering if that's having an impact too.

I consider myself to be fit and healthy but I'm also very inflexible so yoga or pilates would be interesting from that perspective 😂