• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Real Maroonblood

• Morgan

• luckyBatistuta

• gjcc

6 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

I've lost count of the number of times I've went upstairs to get/do something, only to forget what it was when I got up there.

I prefer to think of these as "Men in Black" moments rather than an aging thing.

1 hour ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

When new members of your team at work arent just young enough to be your kids but your grandkids. ffs

... and when attractive young women hold the door open for you and call you "Sir".  That's a sobering moment.

Carl Fredrickson
3 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

... and when attractive young women hold the door open for you and call you "Sir".  That's a sobering moment.

Not happened to me....yet but could be that our local young folk have no manners. 

1 hour ago, BarneyBattles said:

I ****ing love getting older. Just turned 50. Kids are (nearly) 11 and 6. 

Got loads of energy, love life. Feel exactly the same as I always have. 

Picking up a new bike tomorrow. 

Everyone should embrace getting older. The only folk not getting older are dead. 

Look forward not back🍺

That's a great post, cheered me up.

alwaysthereinspirit
11 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Hey.......it’s just a number.

I will be 57 on my next birthday and, over the last week or so I’ve decided to cycle lands end to john o groats next year, September ish.

Drive down to England shire (with wife) she drives home, I knock out about 55 miles a day, will take me about 20 days, will start to plan this out soon.

Wouldn’t you better doing it the other way?

You’ll be uphill all the way. 😜

Good luck

alwaysthereinspirit
8 hours ago, John Findlay said:

I'm 58, but my female partner is only 44. She keeps me young.

Dirty olde lucky bar steward.

A couple of weeks ago we were playing East Fife and I’d paid to watch.

It was also Bake Off night and we always buy a decent cake to eat whilst watching.

I was, honestly more excited about eating the cake. 
If you’d have told me that 20 years ago I’d have laughed in your face 

J.T.F.Robertson
1 hour ago, Maple Leaf said:

Attractive or ugly, men or women, happens regularly and is NOT appreciated.

1 hour ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Not happened to me....yet but could be that our local young folk have no manners. 

I find, for the most part, they're much too poloot over here.

1 hour ago, Jamhammer said:

A couple of weeks ago we were playing East Fife and I’d paid to watch.

It was also Bake Off night and we always buy a decent cake to eat whilst watching.

I was, honestly more excited about eating the cake. 
If you’d have told me that 20 years ago I’d have laughed in your face 

:D How was the cake?

8 hours ago, BarneyBattles said:

Everyone should embrace getting older. The only folk not getting older are dead. 

Look forward not back🍺

Correct

8 hours ago, fancy a brew said:

you'll never be this young again.

I remind myself of that whenever needed - one day I'll look back on this time and see youth

12 hours ago, Morgan said:

The fart followed through too much?

:vrwow:

Messy.

Only time ive managed that was in the hospital post appendix operation😟not my finest moment.

The Real Maroonblood
11 hours ago, BarneyBattles said:

Look forward not back🍺

I admire your philosophy.

I turn 40 next year which I guess is the prime middle ground between young and old now, for everything I feel keeps me young I have something else that makes me sound old, I still don't quite feel mature enough for parenthood yet i'd much rather have a pint with someone 20 years my senior than someone 20 years my junior, there are days I can go to the gym and easily do 20miles on the bike yet other days I'm out of breath taking the shopping up a flight of stairs, I still go out for 12 hour drinking sessions with my mates but we end up swapping recommendations for financial advisors.

Edited by Ribble

highlandjambo3
12 hours ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

Wouldn’t you better doing it the other way?

You’ll be uphill all the way. 😜

Good luck

The wind is favourable going south to north 

Just now, highlandjambo3 said:

The wind is favourable going south to north 

You doing a blog on it? It would make a good daily thread on here. I'm a Penzance boy so more familiar with the Lands End part than John o'Groats 🙂

highlandjambo3
3 minutes ago, RobboM said:

You doing a blog on it? It would make a good daily thread on here. I'm a Penzance boy so more familiar with the Lands End part than John o'Groats 🙂

Blog.........I’ve just mastered texting on my phone.......😂

Fxxx the SPFL

i'm sixty three now and the biggest bugbear iv'e noticed in the last few years is the rapid growth of nasal and ear hair actually most of my body is having a second burst apart from the napper. i was sitting on a bus about a year ago and the old guy in front of me and the wife had Hampden park growing out his lugs i pointed out to the wife and she just laughed and said your going the same way and it's true seems to grow really quickly now.

apart from that the five grandkids keep me young.

11 hours ago, redjambo said:

:D How was the cake?

Better than the game 😀. M & S. Raspberry Clotted Cream Sponge. Hard to beat

Governor Tarkin
20 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

I remember the time I looked in a mirror and for the first time I saw my dad looking back at me.  Now it's my grandfather. :wheelchair:

Snap :(

16 hours ago, fancy a brew said:

A nice wee maxim about aging.

You've never been as old as you are today, but you'll never be this young again.

I just stole that line. Thank you.

luckyBatistuta
22 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Same here, used my pension pot to buy my house, therefore no mortgage and if I was to sell right now, I'd treble what I paid for it.

Plan is once Mrs JJ retires, we'll down size to a 1 or 2 bedroom and whatever the excess is we'll use for holiday's & travel and of course wine & beer.

My plan is to sell up once my boys are looking for a their first homes, that way I can help them with their deposits and we can move in to a small retirement flat.

19 hours ago, whodanny said:

Maroon I hope Morgan. With white tops.

mitre-mercury-contrast-sock-p213-7938_image.jpg

19 hours ago, Morgan said:

But of course, Danny. 👍

I picture you going to bed at night complete with a full strip on Morgan, a PHM😊

luckyBatistuta
On 22/11/2020 at 10:15, jack D and coke said:

And to think you ripped into me for glorious Gloria tae...

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29edsmbnlqh7he5szdqb

Still wouldn’t 😖

10 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

My plan is to sell up once my boys are looking for a their first homes, that way I can help them with their deposits and we can move in to a small retirement flat.

I picture you going to bed at night complete with a full strip on Morgan, a PHM😊

I’ll send you a photo later, Gabriel.

Just to prove you correct.

Four old school friends have a reunion when they are all 40 and decide to go to the new night club on the other side of town because it’s very lively, there will be lots of good looking women there and it’ll be open till 3.00am. They have a great time and vow to do it all again in ten years time.

The four old school friends have a reunion when they are all 50 and decide to have a leisurely game of golf followed by some food and a few drinks at a local course so that they don’t have far to stagger home. They have a great time and vow to do it all again in ten years time.

The four old school friends have a reunion when they are all 60 and decide to go to the finest restaurant in town because the food is great and the wine is decent. They have a great time and vow to do it all again in ten years time.

The four old school friends have a reunion when they are all 70 and decide to go to a nice pub out in the country where it’ll be quiet and they can have a good natter over a couple of drinks. One volunteers  to drive as the medication he’s on doesn’t allow him to drink. They have a great time and vow to do it all again in ten years time.

The four old school friends decide to have a reunion when they are all 80 because they haven’t done that before!

11 minutes ago, 1953 said:

Four old school friends have a reunion when they are all 40 and decide to go to the new night club on the other side of town because it’s very lively, there will be lots of good looking women there and it’ll be open till 3.00am. They have a great time and vow to do it all again in ten years time.

The four old school friends have a reunion when they are all 50 and decide to have a leisurely game of golf followed by some food and a few drinks at a local course so that they don’t have far to stagger home. They have a great time and vow to do it all again in ten years time.

The four old school friends have a reunion when they are all 60 and decide to go to the finest restaurant in town because the food is great and the wine is decent. They have a great time and vow to do it all again in ten years time.

The four old school friends have a reunion when they are all 70 and decide to go to a nice pub out in the country where it’ll be quiet and they can have a good natter over a couple of drinks. One volunteers  to drive as the medication he’s on doesn’t allow him to drink. They have a great time and vow to do it all again in ten years time.

The four old school friends decide to have a reunion when they are all 80 because they haven’t done that before!

:D

49 minutes ago, 1953 said:

90:

The 2 old school friends shout at each other from across the communal  lounge as one wants to watch  and the other thinks it’s time for the BBC breakfast show. Both sitting in piles of their own filth.
Maude from down the hall sits back taking in the scene thinking she’s watching an episode of Jerry Springer. 

Edited by gjcc

Just caught up with this thread, I turned 66 last week. Retired early from banking in 2008, had a few jobs since but for the last 5 years been invigilating exams for Edinburgh Uni & CFA. It kept me in contact with people of all ages and let me make new friends. Thanks to covid, uni won't be doing conventional exams any time soon, & will most likely move on to on- line exams completely.

The money wasn't that important, more the contact with others. Still, I get a voluntary severance deal, not huge but tax free, and will pay for a few things. I get my old age pension next month which in addition to my pension and my wife's we're OK financially. Fairly healthy, active go walking and to the gym. I'm a crossword fiend so my activities are my sop to keeping physically and mentally alert.

I do miss holidays abroad and meals out with friends, hopefully these issues will disappear when covid is overcome. Overall I can't complain about ageing too much, especially as we are looking forward to becoming grandparents in May next year, ( cup final day to be exact) bairns father,  grandads & only uncle are all jambos so that bairn will be set on the path of righteousness with four of us to make sure he or she does not stray from that path. Hope we have a dilemma to look forward to on 8th May 2021

Edited by argyjambo
Spelling

5 hours ago, argyjambo said:

Just caught up with this thread, I turned 66 last week. Retired early from banking in 2008, had a few jobs since but for the last 5 years been invigilating exams for Edinburgh Uni & CFA. It kept me in contact with people of all ages and let me make new friends. Thanks to covid, uni won't be doing conventional exams any time soon, & will most likely move on to on- line exams completely.

The money wasn't that important, more the contact with others. Still, I get a voluntary severance deal, not huge but tax free, and will pay for a few things. I get my old age pension next month which in addition to my pension and my wife's we're OK financially. Fairly healthy, active go walking and to the gym. I'm a crossword fiend so my activities are my sop to keeping physically and mentally alert.

I do miss holidays abroad and meals out with friends, hopefully these issues will disappear when covid is overcome. Overall I can't complain about ageing too much, especially as we are looking forward to becoming grandparents in May next year, ( cup final day to be exact) bairns father,  grandads & only uncle are all jambos so that bairn will be set on the path of righteousness with four of us to make sure he or she does not stray from that path. Hope we have a dilemma to look forward to on 8th May 2021

Sounds like a perfect family!!

10 hours ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

Sock wearing in bed is odd behaviour imo.

:spoton:Who fecking wears out their socks whilst asleep at night. Keep your feet still and they'll be in perfect condition. 

Edited by ri Alban

You know your getting older when you begin to know people in the death notices.

Can well remember a time when i looked at the notice board and didn't know who any of the deaths were, now it's FFS or oh no, just seems that it's people that I know now who are dying.

Sorry for the morbid post, but just lost another friend.

They say that 3 of your faculties start to fade as you get older.  One is your eyesight.  Two is your hearing.  I can't seem to remember what the third one is. 

Sawdust Caesar

I've felt old since my 20s. Got my first varicose vein operation at 21, then at 32 and again at 49. Diagnosed with arthritis in my left hip at 26, got the hip replaced at 36. The right hip got arthritis at 40 and was replaced at 51, would have been before I turned 50 but a couple of blood clots from 2 other operations delayed the hip operation. I feel like I'm living my life backwards, like Benjamin Button, I'll probably start teething in my 70s. I have to use both arms to push myself out of chairs these days. And I can't sit on low down sofas or armchairs, and bean bags - forget about it.

I have made quite a few purchases from the Easylife catalogue over the last few years. Most of my shoes are slip-ons as tying laces is an effort. Bring on the high-waisted trousers. :biggrin:

Been off the tools since like summer 2019 but in the last week I've been putting in eight new doors for my sister and my back is absolutely fecked. Just put on some deep heat. I used to go to the gym in the morning, do a whole day doing carpentry & joinery, go to the pub or play football at night. Now I can barely bend down to pick something off the floor. :rofl:It's terrible like. Think I need to take up yoga or something. 🤣

Governor Tarkin
14 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Been off the tools since like summer 2019 but in the last week I've been putting in eight new doors for my sister and my back is absolutely fecked. Just put on some deep heat. I used to go to the gym in the morning, do a whole day doing carpentry & joinery, go to the pub or play football at night. Now I can barely bend down to pick something off the floor. :rofl:It's terrible like. Think I need to take up yoga or something. 🤣

Couple of weeks back on the tools and you'd be fighting fit again, bud. 👍

4 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Couple of weeks back on the tools and you'd be fighting fit again, bud. 👍

You're probably right tbh. Once I've finished my degree however, I hope I never have to do any of that again other than helping out family & friends or doing up my own gaff. 👍 

Governor Tarkin
1 minute ago, Cruyff said:

You're probably right tbh. Once I've finished my degree however, I hope I never have to do any of that again other than helping out family & friends or doing up my own gaff. 👍 

I've barely swung a mash hammer in anger since I finished my degrees either tbh, but it's handy having a trade when you need to renovate your own manor or could do with a wee homer or two to dig you out of a hole. 

Best of luck with whatever you're studying. 👍