Players who we deemed shite/surplus to requirements who are now playing at a higher level

gashauskis9

Bazzas right boot

I'd take Djoum, Johnson, Goncavles, Washington and Rossi back. 

Also Smith had potential, T Watt also has potential, think for 10 years now. 

The players being mentioned in this thread were generally not good enough. 

If OP is trying to make a point that letting the likes of Scott Robinson go were poor decisions then I disagree. 

If It highlights how shite Scottish football is and how shite we were last season-job done , I feel the latter is the point some want to make for reasons bet known to themselves.

13 hours ago, gashauskis9 said:

Smith is at Dundee Utd

Callachan at Hamilton

Robinson at Livi

Paton at Ross County

Higher level.  I guess we have to say yes, if they are getting their game.   Bigger club. Absolutely not (and I know that was not the question).  

It also doesn’t mean they are good enough. 

Edited by Paolo

SectionFJambo

There will be absolutely hundreds of players who are playing at what is technically a higher level at the moment. If we change that question to players who went on to have a decent career at a higher level and are currently playing it will be quite limited.

In general we don't sell/release players for peanuts who go on to have stand out careers. On the other hand we don't have many currently plying their trade in the premiership.

2 hours ago, Paolo said:

Higher level.  I guess we have to say yes, if they are getting their game.   Bigger club. Absolutely not (and I know that was not the question).  

It also doesn’t mean they are good enough. 

Indeed. There is no bigger club than us 😎

Tony Watt ... Cathro said that he lacked the ability to absorb team tactics.  Seems to understand how to be a striker now

4 minutes ago, Disco Ball said:

Tony Watt ... Cathro said that he lacked the ability to absorb team tactics.  Seems to understand how to be a striker now

He’s had a few failed experiences elsewhere as well, to be fair. 

Always easier to come into a winning team. Was hoping this would be the case for this season, with players leaving and joining in January and next summer joining a team doing well. The Dunfermline game shows just how itchy the trigger fingers of Hearts fans are though...One loss in game 9 and the players and coaches are all garbage

15 hours ago, Whatever said:

If only it were that easy.

Yet you’ll be here tomorrow, same time, turning another thread into the Morgan show.

For a man of your age, you desperately need to have a word with yourself.

Sober up.

15 hours ago, Whatever said:

The above was meant for this.

I’ve no idea what you’re on about.

What’s with the ‘sober up’ comment?

Interesting idea for a thread but you could argue that like most football stats they are only valid at a fixed point in time.

(For example my pet annoyance is the commentators favourite of “team X haven’t beaten team Y in Z seasons”. This is despite team X and Y changing every member of its playing staff and manager, often several, times over the time period. The statistic might be correct for the clubs but is rarely true for teams).

Take Ross Callachan (whose name has appeared on this thread). Left us for St Johnstone who we finished above in the season he played for them, loaned to Dundee in his second season so finished below Hearts. Then signed for Hamilton this season so technically at a higher level but not exactly a direct line to get there.

So Ross Callachan. Currently playing at a higher level? Yes. If we had kept him 2 seasons ago would have improved us over the 2 seasons? Unlikely. Would he improve us now if we could add him to our squad today? No (in my opinion). I would argue the same for the majority of players named on this list.

22 hours ago, Angel eyes said:

Michael Ngoo Albanian 2nd division 🤔

****ing hell :lol:

How bad does it get that you start signing for teams you have never heard of, nor could point to within 500 miles of on a blank map of Europe :lol:

16 minutes ago, tian447 said:

****ing hell :lol:

How bad does it get that you start signing for teams you have never heard of, nor could point to within 500 miles of on a blank map of Europe :lol:

Mind he was gonna be great did he no score on his debut in cup semi? but if Liverpool were loaning him you knew fine well he was gonna be hopeless.

loveofthegame
12 hours ago, The Treasurer said:

Eh, we didn't finish bottom of the league as it was never finished 

🙄 ok we were bottom when it was halted. It highlights how pish we were that we were ever in that position. An absolute disgrace.

That better?!

39 minutes ago, Ted (Theodore) Logan said:

Tin hat on but I thought Ngoo was decent for us.

From memory, Ngoo was just a lankier  version of Uche.   1 good game every 6 weeks.

We could argue forever about what constitutes a higher level than Hearts.    However a couple of posters made a worthwhile comment earlier about how we often don't  seem to get the best out of players who arrive with a good CV from other clubs, and consequently our fans moan & groan about them and whoever signed them.    Would this not  indicate that Hearts "style of play" is problematic in some way for incoming players.  Maybe too restricting for them to shine in ?  It might explain why some of our players seem happy to move on when their contract expires.

1 hour ago, Lone Striker said:

From memory, Ngoo was just a lankier  version of Uche.   1 good game every 6 weeks.

We could argue forever about what constitutes a higher level than Hearts.    However a couple of posters made a worthwhile comment earlier about how we often don't  seem to get the best out of players who arrive with a good CV from other clubs, and consequently our fans moan & groan about them and whoever signed them.    Would this not  indicate that Hearts "style of play" is problematic in some way for incoming players.  Maybe too restricting for them to shine in ?  It might explain why some of our players seem happy to move on when their contract expires.

He scored the same amount of goals in more than half as many games. 

12 minutes ago, Ted (Theodore) Logan said:

He scored the same amount of goals in more than half as many games. 

Yes, true -  quite a feat in the circumstances when his style and standard of play didn't suggest he'd score that many.