Irving

Chaps

41 minutes ago, Worthing Jambo said:

Do you mean, what we can get away with?

This and your post immediately above make it abundantly clear that you have a suspiciously negative motive.  

The club officials seem to be well respected professionals in their fields and will be well aware of what is fair and reasonably affordable measured against the consequences, financial and otherwise, of their failing to agree.  I imagine there will be a line they judge they cannot cross as, apart from setting a precedent for other youths coming behind, they will not wish to chance running us into financial difficulties again.  And remember, each player is one serious injury away from a ruined career. and the loss of a playing asset.

BTW what do you think would be a decent offer and how do you know we will not offer that figure?

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Last Laff

• JamboAl

• buzzbomb

• jr ewing

Worthing Jambo
4 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

This and your post immediately above make it abundantly clear that you have a suspiciously negative motive.  

The club officials seem to be well respected professionals in their fields and will be well aware of what is fair and reasonably affordable measured against the consequences, financial and otherwise, of their failing to agree.  I imagine there will be a line they judge they cannot cross as, apart from setting a precedent for other youths coming behind, they will not wish to chance running us into financial difficulties again.  And remember, each player is one serious injury away from a ruined career. and the loss of a playing asset.

BTW what do you think would be a decent offer and how do you know we will not offer that figure?

I have no idea what a decent offer would be.

Me, like a lot of fans, only can see what we see.

Irving looks like a great prospect and has come through the ranks, the sort of player we can have an affinity with, and a boyhood Hearts fan to boot.

Whats not to like?

Then a journeyman comes in on, reported high wages, and just doesn’t connect with the fan base.

I’m not being negative but reflecting a general mood that appears to exist amongst the fan base.

Being defensive of this mood is dangerous as it implies an us and them mentality?

I have no qualms about the management of the club at the moment but just get a sense that maybe a few walls are being built.

No need for it and winning the cup next week will get us all back focused in the right direction😁🥳

Can't see why he won't start next weekend. He showed yesterday that his passing can create chances no one else in the squad can. We're a better team with him in it, so why wouldn't he play? 

brunstanejambo
1 hour ago, buzzbomb said:

It won’t just be about money. Opportunity, belief in him, but also Scottish football maybe not best suited to him. Let’s be honest, midfield in Scotland is about aggression, second balls, headers. Not exact his forte.

Belief in him will be reflected by what Robbie says in to him in terms of his position in the squad, length of contract and the money. 

Opportunity and belief are exactly what he needs, but sadly I'm not convinced that the club have shown much of that since Neilson came in as he seems to have been in and out of the team so far this season which must be frustrating for any player. 

I'm sure that there will have been reasons for this and obviously I've no idea what goes on day to day at ricarton, or between Irving's agent and the club, but I hope that these last few starts is the beginning of a decent run for him. 

Fair enough he's maybe not the most aggressive or best header of the ball, but he's far and away the best passer at the club and imo we play better with him in the team.

Hopefully the next month or so will see the club getting him signed up to a decent contract and he'll be playing in the Premiership as a Scottish Cup winner next season. 

3 minutes ago, tynewater said:

Can't see why he won't start next weekend. He showed yesterday that his passing can create chances no one else in the squad can. We're a better team with him in it, so why wouldn't he play? 

Can he defend, can he break up play?

It is Celtic we are playing, not QotS or Morton.

He won't get the time afforded in our league in this game  he will also have to defend, something he struggles with in our league, he is sidestepped easily when someone runs at him.

There are reasons to play him next weekend  there are reasons to have him on the bench.

1 minute ago, Gambo said:

He won't get the time afforded in our league in this game  he will also have to defend, something he struggles with in our league, he is sidestepped easily when someone runs at him.

There are reasons to play him next weekend  there are reasons to have him on the bench.

Can Olly Lee?

Diadora Van Basten
11 minutes ago, tynewater said:

Would imagine the big decisions next week will be Haring or Irving and Ginnelly or Lee.

I would go Irving and Ginnelly.

6 minutes ago, Gambo said:

He’s played 3 times vs Celtic at parkhead. Played great twice, poorly once, alongside the rest on the other.

20 minutes ago, Worthing Jambo said:

I have no idea what a decent offer would be.

Me, like a lot of fans, only can see what we see.

Irving looks like a great prospect and has come through the ranks, the sort of player we can have an affinity with, and a boyhood Hearts fan to boot.

Whats not to like?

Then a journeyman comes in on, reported high wages, and just doesn’t connect with the fan base.

I’m not being negative but reflecting a general mood that appears to exist amongst the fan base.

Being defensive of this mood is dangerous as it implies an us and them mentality?

I have no qualms about the management of the club at the moment but just get a sense that maybe a few walls are being built.

No need for it and winning the cup next week will get us all back focused in the right direction😁🥳

You should maybe have stopped at the highlighted bit.

You want a decent offer but you don't know what a decent offer is and what's more you cannot know if it's going to be offered or not - but you're not being negative1  Aye right.

Did I say they don't like Irving - quite the reverse is true

9 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

You should maybe have stopped at the highlighted bit.

You want a decent offer but you don't know what a decent offer is and what's more you cannot know if it's going to be offered or not - but you're not being negative1  Aye right.

Did I say they don't like Irving - quite the reverse is true

What do you think they should offer relative to the other midfielders ?

12 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

Can Olly Lee?

Agreed. I would add Walker into that.

We have to remember that we won't have as much of the ball or the time on the ball we are afforded in this league in the Final.

Neilson will have to weigh up the pros and cons. They three can add something yes  but they also leave us short in other areas in a game like this.

All midfield options have +/-  if selected.

Neilson has to find the combination for this game that makes us a team,  that may mean not playing the best 11 individual players, but 11 who will make a team.

LarrysRightFoot
31 minutes ago, tynewater said:

I think Robbie will go with experience. I think White will start as it will give defensive cover on the left and he is an outlet. 

7 minutes ago, Gambo said:

We have to remember that we won't have as much of the ball or the time on the ball we are afforded in this league in the Final.

Neilson will have to weigh up the pros and cons. They three can add something yes  but they also leave us short in other areas in a game like this.

Neilson has to find the combination for this game that makes us a team,  that may mean not playing the best 11 individual players, but 11 who will make a team.

We also have to retain the ball when we do get it

10 minutes ago, Gambo said:

All true.  Good post. 

18 minutes ago, buzzbomb said:

What do you think they should offer relative to the other midfielders ?

I don't know what the other MFs receive so I cannot say.   I shall leave these matters to the professionalism of the appropriate Board members who have a better grip of what is affordable and relevant.  Incidentally this is a situation that all or most Boards face each season, not just Hearts.

Just now, JamboAl said:

I don't know what the other MFs receive so I cannot say.   I shall leave these matters to the professionalism of the appropriate Board members who have a better grip of what is affordable and relevant.  Incidentally this is a situation that all or most Boards face each season, not just Hearts.

Fair enough, but is he worth 1/2, 3/4, the same as what Lee, haring, Halliday, damour are worth ? And if the board can’t find 1/2, 3/4 etc what would that say to Irving as to how they rate him ?

45 minutes ago, Gambo said:

Exactly the reasons if I was him I’d be looking elsewhere. Breaking up play and defending doesn’t need to be a must in all midfield players. The boy has shown he is very composed on the ball he always looks to go forward and he can certainly pass a ball ( the one thing the media hype up Scott Allan for) . IMO the only thing he lacks is pace, but not always required to play at a very good level. The guy is still young and I really wish we would persevere with him and build roundabout him in the midfield instead of chopping and changing him. This year in the division were in was the perfect opportunity for this to build his confidence, as the position he plays would be the hardest to break into any team. I for one hope we give him a new contract which can spur the boy on to reach another level. 

Worthing Jambo
14 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

So you have no idea either? 😂🥳

12 minutes ago, buzzbomb said:

Fair enough, but is he worth 1/2, 3/4, the same as what Lee, haring, Halliday, damour are worth ? And if the board can’t find 1/2, 3/4 etc what would that say to Irving as to how they rate him ?

As I said I'm not the one paying the piper and I'm not the one shouting the odds.  I  trust the Board to pay what is reasonably affordable and fair depending on the prevailing circumstances.  That may have changed post pandemic as indeed it will with other clubs who might be interested in his signature.  As stated by another poster, money is not the sole criterion on which players sign or don't signn but you seem to sidestep that view.

Having asked the question, can you say whether you think it's 1/2. 3/4 etc and if you assume it's say twice what Halliday is on, would you still offer that figure if you knew it might cause financial difficulty.

3 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

As I said I'm not the one paying the piper and I'm not the one shouting the odds.  I  trust the Board to pay what is reasonably affordable and fair depending on the prevailing circumstances.  That may have changed post pandemic as indeed it will with other clubs who might be interested in his signature.  As stated by another poster, money is not the sole criterion on which players sign or don't signn but you seem to sidestep that view.

Having asked the question, can you say whether you think it's 1/2. 3/4 etc and if you assume it's say twice what Halliday is on, would you still offer that figure if you knew it might cause financial difficulty.

Halliday isn’t post-pandemic, neither is frear, Roberts etc. Bet they are on significantly more than Irving. Plus, Robbie is bringing in players in January no ? And yes, it was me that said money isn’t the sole factor. But, the contract offer is what ultimately defines how the club value you. Irving probably on 5-600 quid a week, probably the poorest paid player to have played 40 games or whatever it is. Let’s see what the club have to say. Not that you’ll know..

A_A wehatethehibs

Just had a thought. All these folks are worried about him “talking to other teams” but it’s perfectly possible that Hearts are talking to other teams. We might wait until January on his contract as we’re thinking we might receive an offer for him, and with contract expiry in 6 months, teams might be more likely to table a cheeky bid in this window looking for a bargain as they know we’d probably sell. What would it take to sell him in jan, £500k ? I’m sure Neilson would want an extra chunk in the coffers for the quality Center half we are going to desperately need next season which I would say is absolutely more essential than Irving. Irving is probably the only sellable asset in the team at the moment. Maybe “contract talks” was code for “anybody want to make an offer in January” 

9 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Just had a thought. All these folks are worried about him “talking to other teams” but it’s perfectly possible that Hearts are talking to other teams. We might wait until January on his contract as we’re thinking we might receive an offer for him, and with contract expiry in 6 months, teams might be more likely to table a cheeky bid in this window looking for a bargain as they know we’d probably sell. What would it take to sell him in jan, £500k ? I’m sure Neilson would want an extra chunk in the coffers for the quality Center half we are going to desperately need next season which I would say is absolutely more essential than Irving. Irving is probably the only sellable asset in the team at the moment. Maybe “contract talks” was code for “anybody want to make an offer in January” 

Exchange our most creative midfielder for a centre half? Morning Craig 😉

A_A wehatethehibs
4 minutes ago, S Form said:

Exchange our most creative midfielder for a centre half? Morning Craig 😉

We’re going to desperately need one next season or we’re heading straight back down if Halkett-Popescu is our only fit partnership. Even if we had the real Pirlo in midfield! Just saying - quite possible we are looking to get offers if these so called big clubs are all set to swoop

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

9 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

We’re going to desperately need one next season or we’re heading straight back down if Halkett-Popescu is our only fit partnership. Even if we had the real Pirlo in midfield! Just saying - quite possible we are looking to get offers if these so called big clubs are all set to swoop

Agree that we’ll need a centre half, but I’d much rather offload a few duds like Roberts, Frear and Damour before trying to sell the only midfielder who has a bit of creativity in his boots.

A_A wehatethehibs
2 minutes ago, S Form said:

Agree that we’ll need a centre half, but I’d much rather offload a few duds like Roberts, Frear and Damour before trying to sell the only midfielder who has a bit of creativity in his boots.

Something tells me the cash offers from Bayern, Man City, PSG, Juve are not going to be flooding in for them 3! And as for creativity Lees got about 10 assists this season and Hallidays already bagged a couple of goals. Haring can spot a pass and Cochrane would slot into the squad behind them in Jan, so promotion would be basically unaffected. Walker Naismith and Ginelly all can create a goal or 2 as well. Then next summer transfer window, we’ve got a huge job to do whether we do or don’t have Irving. Neilson would maybe think cold hard cash more useful than just Andy Irving. Every player has his price, what would you say was Irving’s price right now? 

11 hours ago, Gambo said:

That’s when the manager comes in. I’m not putting Irving up there with Fulton but it was a similar scenario with him in the JJ days.

He needed to be in the team to give us an eye for a pass but we had Salvatori and Cameron beside him who had better ability at closing down and breaking up play, amongst other things. 

We need to go into this game with balanced thoughts. How can we hurt Celtic and how do we give ourselves a solid shape to defend well? When we win the ball in our own half with bodies everywhere in a tight area , we need to retain it to give ourselves a chance.  You’ve watched Hearts long enough and seen games where the ball just keeps coming back and that leads to pressure mounting and the inevitable.  In fact, just reference the semi v Rangers last season.  Not enough forward thinking players on the park from the start who are good on the ball.  

11 hours ago, Gambo said:

That's exactly where I'm at, pro's and con's with all our midfielders, except Haring, he is the defensive midfielder we need, therefore I don't think Irvine will need to do as much backtracking as he has been doing and he is our best passer of a ball.

13 hours ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

Said it before, he definitely had a bit of the Steve Fulton about him. I think he could play with more urgency and get more goals - hopefully that comes though.

Can’t see him starting next week. From left to right midfield I think it’ll be - White, Halliday, Haring and Lee with Naismith as a 10 in front of them. 

It's a real dilemma. Do we try to go toe to to with Celtic from the kick off, or do we try to ensure we're still in the game with 20 minutes to go, with players like Ginnelly  fresh off the bench, and Irving providing? 

My own feeling is that Haring and Irving will start, with Ginnelly coming on for the last 30. 

38 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Something tells me the cash offers from Bayern, Man City, PSG, Juve are not going to be flooding in for them 3! And as for creativity Lees got about 10 assists this season and Hallidays already bagged a couple of goals. Haring can spot a pass and Cochrane would slot into the squad behind them in Jan, so promotion would be basically unaffected. Walker Naismith and Ginelly all can create a goal or 2 as well. Then next summer transfer window, we’ve got a huge job to do whether we do or don’t have Irving. Neilson would maybe think cold hard cash more useful than just Andy Irving. Every player has his price, what would you say was Irving’s price right now? 

I think Irving’s a terrific player but he’s still got some developing to do. At this stage he’s not played enough for us to demand a big fee for him, though if he stays with us for two or three more years and develops as I believe he  can then he could easily make us a lot of cash. Lee’s played virtually every game this season so had lots of opportunity to create goals. However, I don’t think either he or Halliday are as creative as Irving, especially when it comes to playing balls into the channels. In short, when we go up I reckon the central midfield pairing of Haring and Irving is by far our best for the top league.

11 hours ago, buzzbomb said:

Halliday isn’t post-pandemic, neither is frear, Roberts etc. Bet they are on significantly more than Irving. Plus, Robbie is bringing in players in January no ? And yes, it was me that said money isn’t the sole factor. But, the contract offer is what ultimately defines how the club value you. Irving probably on 5-600 quid a week, probably the poorest paid player to have played 40 games or whatever it is. Let’s see what the club have to say. Not that you’ll know..

So you don't know.  Probabilities and guesses make up your argument which is solely based on money despite agreeing there are other factors.  What exactly is your argument?

My post pandemic comment refers to the fact that we and most other clubs will have to do a bit of belt-tightening.  If you're going to make your guestimated wage comparisons, at least tell us the figures for each player and we might come to some consensus.

A_A wehatethehibs
1 hour ago, S Form said:

I think Irving’s a terrific player but he’s still got some developing to do. At this stage he’s not played enough for us to demand a big fee for him, though if he stays with us for two or three more years and develops as I believe he  can then he could easily make us a lot of cash. Lee’s played virtually every game this season so had lots of opportunity to create goals. However, I don’t think either he or Halliday are as creative as Irving, especially when it comes to playing balls into the channels. In short, when we go up I reckon the central midfield pairing of Haring and Irving is by far our best for the top league.

I want him to sign a new deal and stay for a few years as well. He’s a good young midfielder, and has a good influence on his team mates. A great opportunity for him to play 100-200 games here, as you say the other midfielders are no great shakes so Irving is right in with a shout of starting most weeks.

But I suppose my comment is more about the notion that “he can talk to other clubs” as being some sort of leverage for him to demand a top wage or appearance guarantees from the club and we should be worried about “losing” him. If that is what he’s doing, maybe the club will just talk to those other clubs ourselves and do a deal to sell him now in January.

Whatever the truth inside the club and these “contract talks” is, I think the end result will be, he will sign a new 3 and a half year deal shortly. Just my gut feeling. He’s just getting comfortable in our team, kick on to prove himself in the premiership next season, all at age 21-22 there’s no better place for him to be. He will find no better club to improve his game and raise his profile. 

alwaysthereinspirit
16 hours ago, Last Laff said:

Yes there is, in comparison with other midfielders in the squad would be a start.  Followed by potential value in the future.  We haven't done so since Andy Driver or Craig Gordon.

Do you honestly know what others make?

10 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Just say you don't know.

I know as much as you do.  But you’re on another planet if you think Halliday Lee or Damour will be on as little a wage as Irving.  That would just be extremely silly. 

5 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

If RN or anyone else at the Club thinks Andy Irving is worth 500k, then they should be paying him a wage that recognises that fact.  A poster earlier said that he's on 5-600 per week.  If that's true, and I don't doubt it, then Irving is badly underpaid and the Club needs to get that sorted asap.

11 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

I know as much as you do.  But you’re on another planet if you think Halliday Lee or Damour will be on as little a wage as Irving.  That would just be extremely silly. 

It certainly would but I have never said Irving would be on the same wage as them.  In fact I have never said Irving would be on any wage and have never claimed I know what Halliday, Lee or Damour are on.

It looks as though you are creating an imaginary argument, then knocking it down so you can claim you were right all along.

6 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

If RN or anyone else at the Club thinks Andy Irving is worth 500k, then they should be paying him a wage that recognises that fact.  A poster earlier said that he's on 5-600 per week.  If that's true, and I don't doubt it, then Irving is badly underpaid and the Club needs to get that sorted asap.

Can you post a link to this.

I think the poster took a wild guess he might be on PROBABLY £500-£600 which PROBABLY just suited his negative argument and you have PROBABLY just latched on to this.

Hopefully he will sign a new contract. If the club are serious about academy players potentially making us money in the future then at this moment in time we need look no further than Irving. I believe he has the ability to play at a high level down south so the longer the contract the better the transfer fee if big clubs come sniffing around. He also seems to have a good head on his shoulders. unlike a few in the past who were distracted by the smell of the cash from Rangers and the like. 

1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

I think the poster took a wild guess he might be on PROBABLY £500-£600 which PROBABLY just suited his negative argument and you have PROBABLY just latched on to this.

I was quoting the poster.

1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

That wasn’t a wild guess. Those calling out what he is getting paid need to remember m he was given that deal when he hadn’t really made much of an impact on the first team so he won’t be on a lot of money. Deserves his new deal and decent wage rise now though but to say he should be getting similar to over paid but very experienced players is a bit of a nonsense. Hopefully a compromise can be found with a more incentivised structure put to him. Let his talents earn him good money. 

A_A wehatethehibs
1 hour ago, Maple Leaf said:

Well any valuation would have to be informed by offers received from the market, or sale prices of players with similar profiles to him. Its not just what the coach “thinks” he’s worth is it. Its what people offer that matters. A player is worth what someone is prepared to pay. I chucked 500k out there as a guess.

But with all things fairly considered, he’s looking good now, playing well and progressing under the new manager, looking very comfortable playing for Hearts in this division, he’s linking well playing alongside his more experienced team mates. Agree he deserves a good improvement in his wages.

I have every faith we will make him a strong offer with good incentives to grow his earnings, and after he signs it he’s probably just 1 good premiership season away from another even better improved contract extension to the top wages. And on top of that, really he’s only 2 or 3 seasons away from maybe even a 7 figure move when Hearts money becomes irrelevant to him. And if he’s really, really good in the premiership then make that actually only 1 season away or even half a season away from the bigger money 

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

43 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Well any valuation would have to be informed by offers received from the market, or sale prices of players with similar profiles to him. Its not just what the coach “thinks” he’s worth is it. Its what people offer that matters. A player is worth what someone is prepared to pay. I chucked 500k out there as a guess.

But with all things fairly considered, he’s looking good now, playing well and progressing under the new manager, looking very comfortable playing for Hearts in this division, he’s linking well playing alongside his more experienced team mates. Agree he deserves a good improvement in his wages.

I have every faith we will make him a strong offer with good incentives to grow his earnings, and after he signs it he’s probably just 1 good premiership season away from another even better improved contract extension to the top wages. And on top of that, really he’s only 2 or 3 seasons away from maybe even a 7 figure move when Hearts money becomes irrelevant to him. And if he’s really, really good in the premiership then make that actually only 1 season away or even half a season away from the bigger money 

I agree with you and I hope that you're right.

49 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

WILD GUESSWORK MAN!!!!