Irving

Chaps

Guest ToqueJambo
6 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Aye mibbe. Once he's pushed his way past the endless has beens and never will be's we seem to be handing jerseys and wages to whilst most of our promising kids get to a certain level and stagnate on loan for 2 years before ending up at Falkirk or some such place. For every Hickey there's a dozen could have beens who we haven't 'finished'

I'm not sure bringing young players through is as easy as you say. If it was, everyone would be doing it. We've generally done a better job than most clubs in Scotland.

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Last Laff

• JamboAl

• buzzbomb

• jr ewing

16 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

I don't think we should expect to be sending a regular stream of youngsters to Serve A though. Although no doubt some will no consider this to be a benchmark.

No thats true, but we should be expecting to send a regular stream of youngsters into the first team. Thats why we pay vast fortunes for the facilities and infrastructure we have. That was a key part of the plan. At this point we've got Irving closest to being a regular first teamer, a player who by all accounts wants to leave. Okay this is not the season to be blooding youngsters necessarily, but we're in this mess in large part because of a shite recruitment and development policy and process.

Edited by JimmyCant

Guest ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

No thats true, but we should be expecting to send a regular stream of youngsters into the first team. Thats why we pay vast fortunes for the facilities and infrastructure we have. That was a key part of the plan. At this point we've got Irving closest to being a regular first teamer, a player who by all accounts want to leave. Okay this is not the season to be blooding youngsters necessarily, but were in this mess in large part because of a shite recruitment and development policy and process.

Irving, Cochrane, Henderson, Brandon, McGill, Moore have all been involved so far. Cochrane now out on loan with Stone and some others. If they're good enough they'll get games. You're right only Irving looks like establishing himself, but it's no surprise players like Walker, Naismith, Smith, Haring, Halliday are ahead of those other youngsters. With a short league we may not have much luxury of blooding lots of players this season.

The fact it’s almost the middle

of December and we haven’t spoke to our most talented youngster about a new deal is disgusting. We had plenty wiggle room to squeeze

Halliday in on a deal when this guy was obviously going to more useful going forward. We better not lose his for heehaw.

Really like Irving, hope he signs an extension. Can pick a pass and tries a leg. It feels like we try to cheapskate on our decent youth players but are quite happy to churn out multi-year deals on poorer journeymen. JJ could spot potential so hopefully that becomes a thing of the past  

22 minutes ago, JamboJoker98 said:

Really like Irving, hope he signs an extension. Can pick a pass and tries a leg. It feels like we try to cheapskate on our decent youth players but are quite happy to churn out multi-year deals on poorer journeymen. JJ could spot potential so hopefully that becomes a thing of the past  

That stopped with Jamie Mole and Callum Elliott. Those were the days. 😅

brunstanejambo
1 hour ago, Clerry Jambo said:

Can't read the full article as I don't want to give that rag my email address, but great news - and long overdue.

I hope that we offer him a good deal and get at least 3-4 years of regular starts out of him.

I'd love to see boyhood supporters like him stay at hearts their entire career, but realistically we should aim to keep them until they are 24-25 and then move them on to a higher level down south or abroad for a decent fee.

20 minutes ago, jambo-rocker said:

If I was playing for a manager who rates Olly Lee ahead of me, I'd be apprehensive to sign a new deal too.

I think it’s Halliday he’s essentially competing with once Haring is 100%.  Robbie seems to be playing Lee more advanced in the absence of Ginelly. 

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine

Irving is seriously one of the top players at the club. Madness that he's not been involved more and he wasn't signed to a long-term deal sooner.

11 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

No thats true, but we should be expecting to send a regular stream of youngsters into the first team. Thats why we pay vast fortunes for the facilities and infrastructure we have. That was a key part of the plan. At this point we've got Irving closest to being a regular first teamer, a player who by all accounts wants to leave. Okay this is not the season to be blooding youngsters necessarily, but we're in this mess in large part because of a shite recruitment and development policy and process.

Are you saying Irving wants to leave? 

1 hour ago, brunstanejambo said:

Can't read the full article as I don't want to give that rag my email address, but great news - and long overdue.

I hope that we offer him a good deal and get at least 3-4 years of regular starts out of him.

I'd love to see boyhood supporters like him stay at hearts their entire career, but realistically we should aim to keep them until they are 24-25 and then move them on to a higher level down south or abroad for a decent fee.

Exactly this, I'm not expecting these lads to stay indefinitely but early mid 20's, however you look at Irving and can tell he would suit a slower paced league like in Italy or Spain where the midfeild get more time. 

Yes he is raw but he won't learn by not playing and he has always looked the part when he plays. I can only hope he was dropped due to injury worries as if halliday, haring and Lee and picks before him then 🤦‍♂️ 

I feel we need to utilise the youth more as the back up, not sign more and more journeymen to bloat the squad. I know Morriston got a hard time on here but he is scoring goals for fun at Falkirk and just needed coached better in my eyes when he was here. 

Really like Irving, great technical ability and a good brain.  I actually think we've done better with his development than with other recent youths.  He's been around the first team for a good few years, played under different managers, been out on loan a few times.  Yet it seems like he's always been protected if he had minor injuries or if the team was doing really badly - which I think seemed to affect Cochrane's development.  Anyway, good to see both doing well for now.

1 hour ago, gashauskis9 said:

I think it’s Halliday he’s essentially competing with once Haring is 100%.  Robbie seems to be playing Lee more advanced in the absence of Ginelly. 

If that were the case, I'd actually consider playing Halliday more advanced. As we saw against Alloa at home, he's actually quite good at breaking from deep and making late runs into the box.

2 minutes ago, jambo-rocker said:

If that were the case, I'd actually consider playing Halliday more advanced. As we saw against Alloa at home, he's actually quite good at breaking from deep and making late runs into the box.

Agreed

1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

It's concerning that we appear to wait until young players only have a few months left before we start contract talks.

Don't believe there have not been conversations with Irving before this.

Now sitting down with him to , hopefully , formalise an agreement

That is how I read it

A_A wehatethehibs
1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

It's concerning that we appear to wait until young players only have a few months left before we start contract talks.

The new management team has only had 11 competitive games to look at the squad and assess the players.

What, did you think the first thing on the list for a new manager coming in was to look at some kids contract? Think Neilson has had a few bigger fish to fry on the old to-do list eh. Such as getting some wasters emptied and getting some new players integrated pronto -> then learning how to win a ****ing game again, so we can have a chance of getting promoted. 

I suspect on October 6th when the window shut, the message to all of the players would be, “right, no contract talks at all until December” as full focus needed to be on these fixtures to get us started at the top of the league with W’s on the board, which was and is the minimum expectation. 

Reading between the lines the story, the message to the fans is: Hearts planning for January and beyond to next seasons squad, has now officially begun. And it’s begun with a clear statement: Andy Irving is in the plans, which is great news for him. He is about to get the dream offer, the offer of a lifetime, a contract with Heart of Midlothian Football Club.

Colonel Kurtz

Irving needs to eradicate his rabbit in the headlights moments when he is caught in possession,and his casual approach when the going gets tough. 

5 hours ago, VivaObua said:

The fact it’s almost the middle

of December and we haven’t spoke to our most talented youngster about a new deal is disgusting. We had plenty wiggle room to squeeze

Halliday in on a deal when this guy was obviously going to more useful going forward. We better not lose his for heehaw.

We'll probably at least receive a development fee but...

How do you ensure a youth player stays if he decides he is leaving eg Hickey, Marc Leonard?

What I would say is that if we lose him for next to nowt Hearts need to take stock as to whether the academy is cost effective for us or just a breeding ground for other clubs.  We cannot keep making the investment and not receiving the dividend.

Edited by JamboAl

It’s hard to believe that the club are just starting contract talks with Irving considering he can talk to other clubs in just over 3 weeks time.

5 minutes ago, MTS1874 said:

It’s hard to believe that the club are just starting contract talks with Irving considering he can talk to other clubs in just over 3 weeks time.

So hard to believe maybe its just not true ?

Fairly sure off the record contract talks will have started. The lad will have an agent and there's not many of them who leave these things till the last minute as they've got their own pockets to line.

The Treasurer
2 hours ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Irving needs to eradicate his rabbit in the headlights moments when he is caught in possession,and his casual approach when the going gets tough. 

There have been a few lapses in concentration but "rabbit in the headlights" is way too harsh.

1 minute ago, The Treasurer said:

There have been a few lapses in concentration but "rabbit in the headlights" is way too harsh.

It was a ridiculous comment TBH. It is obvious the lad has ability and a football brain - all he needs is experience and get more street wise - that comes from playing games and learning from mistakes.

1 hour ago, MTS1874 said:

Unfortunately it comes as no surprise 😏

15 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

What account is that? As I said before Irving wants to stay subject to getting a regular game and a decent offer - that direct from a family member.

Irving is a level headed nice young man who has no illusions of grandeur.

1 hour ago, MTS1874 said:

Sounds like he's not really wanted : rarely plays and RN signed a boat load of crap wingers in the summer rather than play him. . Says it all for me. 

6 hours ago, jr ewing said:

That stopped with Jamie Mole and Callum Elliott. Those were the days. 😅

Is mole the guy that missed 2 sitters in Prague??

1 minute ago, Hectormasson said:

Is mole the guy that missed 2 sitters in Prague??

Don’t know.....but he did score two very late goals in a game. 😉

4 hours ago, jambo-rocker said:

Definitely think worth trying Halliday LM for a while.

Irving/Haring is a class midfield. He shouldn’t play 10 when Naismith, Boyce, Walker are here. We have no wingers atm and at least Halliday was/is a fullback

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine
1 minute ago, R1874 said:

Definitely think worth trying Halliday LM for a while.

Irving/Haring is a class midfield. He shouldn’t play 10 when Naismith, Boyce, Walker are here. We have no wingers atm and at least Halliday was/is a fullback

Irving/Haring is the way forward 100%. Halliday isn't good enough to displace them.

Gimme an H...
12 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Don’t know.....but he did score two very late goals in a game. 😉

Graham Weir...

Irving deserves a new contract. He's one of the few with an eye for a forward pass. Also not shy of having a shot at goal eg East Fife this  Dundee United last season.

Definitely deserves to be one of the best paid at the club, wouldn't be angry with him if he moves on, interest in him is high and deserves to be playing in a better division than the Scottish championship. 

3 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Definitely deserves to be one of the best paid at the club, wouldn't be angry with him if he moves on, interest in him is high and deserves to be playing in a better division than the Scottish championship. 

Ffs bongo clam down. Deserves a new contract but does not deserve to be one of the best paid and I doubt even Andy thinks that. Hopefully he makes the position his, gets lots of games and signs a new deal. 

48 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

What account is that? As I said before Irving wants to stay subject to getting a regular game and a decent offer - that direct from a family member.

Irving is a level headed nice young man who has no illusions of grandeur.

So he wants some sort of guarantee of game time. Shut the door on yer way out son.

17 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Ffs bongo clam down. Deserves a new contract but does not deserve to be one of the best paid and I doubt even Andy thinks that. Hopefully he makes the position his, gets lots of games and signs a new deal. 

Depends if you know the teams that have shown in a interest in him, just my opinion, lad has potential. 

Boys turning into a very important player for us now, Have a gut feeling he will go on to much bigger and better things than us, So we absolutely need to get him on at least a 3 year deal to be compensated well.

Hopefully him being a jambo has already helped him make the decision to sign on.

6 hours ago, jambo-rocker said:

If I was playing for a manager who rates Olly Lee ahead of me, I'd be apprehensive to sign a new deal too.

I don't thtink Olly Lee will be asked to extend his contract whereas it look as if Irving will. Hopefuuly he does and goes on to improve and do well for himself and the club.

He showed when given a run by Stendel what he can do and at 20 he has time to get better. We are only just starting to talk to him about a new deal so hopefully he wants to stay.

Pasquale for King
7 hours ago, JamboJoker98 said:

I think he gave a few poor journeymen contracts over the years too. 

6 hours ago, Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine said:

Irving is seriously one of the top players at the club. Madness that he's not been involved more and he wasn't signed to a long-term deal sooner.

He has knocked back previous offers. His agent thinks he will get him a Hickey type of move. Major reason for his absences so far this season.