Irving

Chaps

The lad needs more game time. 

After Haring he’s the best midfielder in squad. Instead we’re having to watch over paid so called experienced players.

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Last Laff

• JamboAl

• buzzbomb

• jr ewing

Agree.  If he wasn’t fancied for regular SPL games I don’t know a better place to give him a platform than the championship to toughen up and hone his game?

It just seems like the usual as it was under Levein. In and out, a game here and there.  Ffs, he’s hardly a bairn now.  How else do you hand players responsibility or test that attribute? 

At least Stendel gave him games and had him playing well.  

Edited by Debut 4

28 minutes ago, Chaps said:

After Haring he’s the best midfielder in squad. Instead we’re having to watch over paid so called experienced players.

Couldn't agree more, would have him in the team before Lee and Halliday based on performances so far this season. Haring and Irving would be my first choices in midfield and compliment each other well. 

SectionFJambo

Never seen it myself. Probably carve out a career in the championship but not a player we should be building a team around or pinning any hopes on.

14 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Was rubbish when he came on last night.

Maybe to do with what was around him. Allowed it to be easy for Dunfermline last minutes. 

Ultimately Neilson favoured 'a name' in Halliday. Wrongly imo.  As I've said elsewhere, it was a game for Moore. Right up his strasse. For Irving he arrived at the scene of a car crash.

The only reason I can think for not playing him more is that he has not signed a new contract. The midfield were getting run rings round them in the first half and he should have been brought on for Lee or Halliday. 

26 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Was rubbish when he came on last night.

Maybe to do with what was around him. Allowed it to be easy for Dunfermline last minutes. 

His delivery for the goal from the corner was excellent. 

seems to have lots of technical ability but needs to realise he's now playing men's football and needs step up a few levels. Time will tell if he's capable of doing that or not

He's got more to add to the team this season than Halliday.

If we were premiership, would that be the case?

No, but w're not- so ****ing play him.

Form is temporary, class is permanent. Irving will show he is class. Be what most modern football supporters are not, patient.

A Haring-Irving duo is only slightly behind Celtic/Rangers midfield imo

Irving isn’t the quickest but has great technical ability and looks to get ball forward. Had some wonderful games against Aberdeen and Rangers last year 

Deserves a shot ahead of Lee/Halliday

21 minutes ago, R1874 said:

Irving isn’t the quickest but has great technical ability and looks to get ball forward. Had some wonderful games against Aberdeen and Rangers last year 

Why just two? Stick a third in to help. 

3 hours ago, RENE said:

Should be in the team every week.  His head was up all the time for the forward pass.  Team him with Haring further rest of season.

Hear, hear.

We started to look like a team when we went to a back 3 and Irving was the link man.

Perhaps 3-5-2 is the answer. Either that or we stick Halliday to left back and move Kingsley forward with Irving and Harring centre Gino when fit right. We need energy in the midfield and none of Lee, Halliday, Naismith or Walker bring that. Wighton, Frear and Roberts are hopeless as wide men.

SomethingAboutObua

We need a backup holding midfielder for Haring rather than shoving Lee and Irving in there. Don't know why we went with 4-1-4-1, shocking formation when 4-3-3 with Lee and Irving ahead of Halliday would've given us so much more than Frear

9 hours ago, jr ewing said:

Why just two? Stick a third in to help. 

Exactly this.  For me, our top midfield trio would be Haring, Irving and Connor Smith.  Perfect blend of protection, passing ability and energy.

A_A wehatethehibs

The boy has it all to do if he wants a career in the game. Brought on with 15 minutes to go he gave away possession 4 times and a petulant foul. Not exactly the way to force yourself into the starting line up. 

16 hours ago, Chaps said:

Needs to commit to the club before he will get regular games in this league. 

One of the few natural talents we have at Tynecastle. The lad must be pissed-off being benched to make way for the likes of Halliday and Lee and I don't blame him. I noted a remark by somebody else a couple of days ago that he seemingly fancies trying his luck elsewhere. Once again I don't blame him. However, I do know who I'll blame if we end up losing him. 

40 minutes ago, Finlay James said:

Exactly this.  For me, our top midfield trio would be Haring, Irving and Connor Smith.  Perfect blend of protection, passing ability and energy.

Is that the Connor Smith that can’t get a start for Arbroath? 

Just now, JohnB said:

One of the few natural talents we have at Tynecastle. The lad must be pissed-off being benched to make way for the likes of Halliday and Lee and I don't blame him. I noted a remark by somebody else a couple of days ago that he seemingly fancies trying his luck elsewhere. Once again I don't blame him. However, I do know who I'll blame if we end up losing him. 

Only person to blame in this scenario is the players agent. Filled his head with nonsense. As a result no contract talks ongoing. 

16 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Only person to blame in this scenario is the players agent. Filled his head with nonsense. As a result no contract talks ongoing. 

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully there's someone the lad respects who will be able to inject him with a healthy dose of reality that'll bring him to his senses.

Edited by JohnB

I agree that he could do with more games but he is another who is woeful at the defensive side of the game.

The fact his passing is normally decent and his dead ball delivery is good puts him on a par with Lee but, sadly so does his defending.

If he's another who wants out, why should we put him in the shop window? 

22 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

I agree that he could do with more games but he is another who is woeful at the defensive side of the game.

The fact his passing is normally decent and his dead ball delivery is good puts him on a par with Lee but, sadly so does his defending.

If he's another who wants out, why should we put him in the shop window? 

I think he could play a bit further forward. Not quite in the Naismith role but a more attacking position than he’s being used for.

On your shop window point, I’m not really that bothered about where he wants to be next season as long we’re in the right league. He’s another one IMO that won’t play at a higher level than Hearts. No loss if he goes. Great if he pushes on this season and contributes. There’s not many players at the club just now I’d shed a tear about if they moved on

A_A wehatethehibs
3 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

I think he could play a bit further forward. Not quite in the Naismith role but a more attacking position than he’s being used for.

On your shop window point, I’m not really that bothered about where he wants to be next season as long we’re in the right league. He’s another one IMO that won’t play at a higher level than Hearts. No loss if he goes. Great if he pushes on this season and contributes. There’s not many players at the club just now I’d shed a tear about if they moved on

IIRC he was previously a #10 but was switched to holding. Presumably he didn’t score or threaten enough on goal but his passing ability led to that decision. 

No more time for switching positions now, as far as I’m concerned either he forces his way in to holding midfield this season (won’t do that with performances like his 20 mins vs Dunfermline) or alternatively wish him all the best at Falkirk. 

23 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

IIRC he was previously a #10 but was switched to holding. Presumably he didn’t score or threaten enough on goal but his passing ability led to that decision. 

No more time for switching positions now, as far as I’m concerned either he forces his way in to holding midfield this season (won’t do that with performances like his 20 mins vs Dunfermline) or alternatively wish him all the best at Falkirk. 

Let’s be honest, without Haring in the team we are pretty poor in deep midfield no matter who plays. Lee Halliday Irving. Of those I’d rather see Irving but he’s limited at the moment. I’d pick him because he COULD improve. The other two are as good as they are going to get unless Halliday is shite purely because of his fitness just now 

14 hours ago, R1874 said:

Only slightly behind Arfield/Jack and Brown/Macgregor ? Ur they aye ?

Edited by JimmyCant

Ernie Eskilsson
22 hours ago, stotty said:

Couldn't agree more, would have him in the team before Lee and Halliday based on performances so far this season. Haring and Irving would be my first choices in midfield and compliment each other well. 

Agree 100%, Haring and Irving in DM is our best combination.

The fans criticising Irving, he’s 20. In the last 50 years I can only think of Mackay and bowman as youngsters holding down a regular spot in centre midfield and that was out of financial constraints. It’s probably the most difficult position on the field to play and especially to develop in. Irving is not the finished article and not even a fully developed man yet. How he seems to be getting a hard rap from some for the last 15 minutes vs Dunfermline when he set up the goal that at least gave us a lifeline is beyond me. Where were our experienced big players for the 90 minutes or for all last season for that matter ? We at least looked more like a football team when he came on. 

One other thing, the only manager who has given him a proper run of games and shown any real belief is Stendel. Young players need that if they are going to make it. Why are Motherwell so successful bringing young players through (and by inference us so poor at it)  ? Because they play them, week in week out, not because they have better youth players than us and maybe their fans are more patient or have more realistic expectations. I hope Irving plays more and re-signs, but why would you unless the belief is going to be shown in you.

On 21/11/2020 at 16:47, stotty said:

Agree with this and if haring is injured would put smith in with Irving 

Smith has the tenacity and drive to be a good midfielder 

2 hours ago, NB GIN said:

Agree with this and if haring is injured would put smith in with Irving 

Smith has the tenacity and drive to be a good midfielder 

Agree. I’d play either smith at centre back or centre mid and play haring in the opposite position ie centre half if smith centre mid and vice versa. Get the spine sorted.

25 minutes ago, dazajmbo said:

Irving needs to stop staggering on his contract extension if he wants to play with us more regularly. 

Or alternatively hearts need to show the faith in him that’s been lacking except under Stendel ?

23 hours ago, R1874 said:

Surely you don't really think a midfield 2 of Irving and Haring is slightly behind Brown and McGregor or Jack and Davis? 

Neither Irving or Haring would get anywhere near the old firm squad. 

I like both players and think they should be in our team. 

Edited by Ari Gold

13 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

The boy has it all to do if he wants a career in the game. Brought on with 15 minutes to go he gave away possession 4 times and a petulant foul. Not exactly the way to force yourself into the starting line up. 

Quite correct.  He has tremendous ability but can get caught up in the frenetic and negative side of our games as per Friday when he came on.  He just needs to focus on his attributes and rise above the mayhem. 

• 2 weeks later...

Irving is now free to talk to other clubs as he’s into last 6 months of his deal wtf is going on? Have we had a contract refused by him and his team? 

Going by what others have said it seems Irving has been offered a contract and turned it down, I presume because he feels he deserves more game time.

I think we'll regret letting him go, but I wouldn't be surprised if he regrets leaving too. He's getting reasonable game time for a player of his age for a good club in a reasonable league. 

If he goes down south he'll disappear into the U23 league set up and never be seen again.

On 21/11/2020 at 16:18, Chaps said:

He needs a new contract NOW

31 minutes ago, VivaObua said:

Irving is now free to talk to other clubs as he’s into last 6 months of his deal wtf is going on? Have we had a contract refused by him and his team? 

You have to hope he is negotiating a contract and has been for a few weeks thats why he hasn't been regularly in the team. If not its a dereliction of duty by the club, he needs to be signed up now. Best progressive midfielder we have at the club, Irving and haring are the 2 midfielders we should be working with going forward