Did Budge roll the dice too soon ?

pointon

28 minutes ago, Saughton Jambo said:

As I understand it, he said he’d continue in the championship because we weren’t relegated but demoted as such. He was in dialogue with Ann about this.  AB offered him 50% of his current salary and he refused. It was only after this refusal that she went for Robbie 

As I said in another post she approached Robbie before Stendel was appointed but he didn’t want to come at that point. 

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Greedy Jambo

• davemclaren

• Riccarton3

• Ethan Hunt

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Have you got a link to that? I’m not saying that’s not the case but I can’t remember reading about any offer made to him and to my knowledge AB has  said very little about Stendel.

Looking at it slightly differently, and wondering if Stendel would have had us playing better football and turning out better performances than we are at the moment, then I have no doubt that he would have done.

I don’t have a link to that Ethan. What I do I know is that AB has her detractors more than most but to think she just offered the job to RN behind anyone’s back is wrong.

DS had an offer which he knocked back. As it was told to me by someone ‘in the know’ and closely connected, DS wanted to continue in the championship. The relegation clause suited both parties at the time but we had leverage as he was out of contract therefore a vastly reduced package was offered, I believe 50%, to him which he declined.

Robbie was appointed less than 24 hrs later which took everyone including DS by surprise. AB didn’t give Stendel a second offer and therefore moved for RN more or less straight away. 

4 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

I believe Neilson told Levein in November that whilst he didn’t want to come back then he probably would be interested come summer. Had made a commitment to United and wanted to see it through. There’s no doubting though that he was Budge and Leveins first choice to replace Levein last November. 

And there you have it....Budge and Levein......sounds like a comedy act Morcambe and Wise, Laurel & Hardy.....Definitely a comedy act without the laughter...

2 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

As I said in another post she approached Robbie before Stendel was appointed but he didn’t want to come at that point. 

Can understand why. Maybe the thought of Levein still being there in the shadows would be seen as undermining his position.

I do wonder why the change of heart then from RN as it wasn’t as if lots of time had passed from his earlier decision. 

10 minutes ago, Saughton Jambo said:

Can understand why. Maybe the thought of Levein still being there in the shadows would be seen as undermining his position.

I do wonder why the change of heart then from RN as it wasn’t as if lots of time had passed from his earlier decision. 

He wanted to see the season out with United. Finish what he started and win another league title. 
Don’t think it was a change of heart, he said he would be available come summer 

13 minutes ago, Hashimoto said:

And there you have it....Budge and Levein......sounds like a comedy act Morcambe and Wise, Laurel & Hardy.....Definitely a comedy act without the laughter...

At the time Levein was still DoF and Budge was Chair and CEO so who else would have been looking to hire a manager last November?  

3 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

He wanted to see the season out with United. Finish what he started and win another league title. 

👍 thanks for clearing that up 

1 minute ago, soonbe110 said:

At the time Levein was still DoF and Budge was Chair and CEO so who else would have been looking to hire a manager last November?  

Obviously the same comedy duo that took 6 weeks to get the deal with Stendel over the line. All this dithering whilst we were in a bit of a club crisis. Did it take 6-weeks because we couldn't persuade Neilson to leave United during that time?

The spectre of Levein still haunting the corridors at Tynecastle....All Ann has done is swap her comfort blanket for another. 

Maroon tinted glasses 2

I think the appointment of Robbie is the right choice for what needs to be done and although I liked Stendel I felt he was a bigger name at the wrong time. Had he come in after the shutdown he would have then had time to build the players around his preferred style of play but that was a luxury we couldn't afford at that time and (although I hate to say it) we needed someone who understood Scottish football to quickly do what Ross did at hibs and get a few results strung together for points on the board and get us away from the drop zone.

Regardless as to what Stendel had been trying to achieve his main focus should have been on ugly wins but he failed so we ended up bottom when the league stopped and that's on him. In addition he also had a relegation release clause in his contract which didn't sit right with me as his job (regardless of the situation) would have been to prevent relegation and if not then should stick around to get us back up.   

We've got Robbie and regardless on whether people like it or not we need to pull together and support him to get us out the championship first time. 

10 minutes ago, Hashimoto said:

Obviously the same comedy duo that took 6 weeks to get the deal with Stendel over the line. All this dithering whilst we were in a bit of a club crisis. Did it take 6-weeks because we couldn't persuade Neilson to leave United during that time?

The spectre of Levein still haunting the corridors at Tynecastle....All Ann has done is swap her comfort blanket for another. 

Could be 

Bazzas right boot
4 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

Our problems lie in the offices, not the dugout.

I read that as orifices. 

The Treasurer
1 hour ago, Francis Albert said:

Clause surely would have referred to relegation not demotion. And some insist we weren't relegated!

OK it might have referred to not playing in the top flight or Premiership or whatever. 

Anyway we will never know what might have been -  it would have been interesting to find out. Some argue that a pressing game won't work in Scotland. I thought Dunfermline did a fair imitation of one on Friday with some success.

The fact is we could not have been relegated from a competition that was never completed. We were voted out by short sighted, selfish little clubs 

4 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

I read that as orifices. 

It's received plenty of tongues the last 4 years of this shit show right enough

59 minutes ago, Saughton Jambo said:

I don’t have a link to that Ethan. What I do I know is that AB has her detractors more than most but to think she just offered the job to RN behind anyone’s back is wrong.

DS had an offer which he knocked back. As it was told to me by someone ‘in the know’ and closely connected, DS wanted to continue in the championship. The relegation clause suited both parties at the time but we had leverage as he was out of contract therefore a vastly reduced package was offered, I believe 50%, to him which he declined.

Robbie was appointed less than 24 hrs later which took everyone including DS by surprise. AB didn’t give Stendel a second offer and therefore moved for RN more or less straight away. 

Fair enough. It would be interesting to know if Neilson is, at maximum, on half of what Stendel was on money wise. Surely they couldn’t offer him more.

I am not a AB detractor, far from it, but she has made some horrendous decisions and she should quite rightly be put under scrutiny for those.

Brighton Jambo

Stendhal got a couple of results against big teams but was hopeless against teams we expected to beat.  Which is the last thing we need this season.

Also, how tiresome is that after one defeat we see threads like this one.  Predictable but frustrating none the less.  

Bazzas right boot
52 minutes ago, Hashimoto said:

Still haunting the corridors.... **** me. 

The ***** not been manager for a year and left us in June. 

Ann appointed stendel after cl, how was he a comfort blanket? 

And he’s not praying!

If Avdijaj and Marcel Langer were players Stendel thought could improve Heart of Midlothian then let’s all breathe a huge sigh of relief he’s no longer anywhere near us 

23 hours ago, ShedBoy said:

Yes, in my opinion she panicked and went for ‘safe’.  I honestly believe Hearts under Stendel with his own team and a pre season (of sorts) behind him, would’ve been a different animal. For me it’s another Burley moment. 🤷🏻‍♂️

How i see it to, glad I'm not the only one. 

5 hours ago, Hashimoto said:

Ann likes to play it safe. 

Robbie coming back makes you wonder why he left in the first place! and I'm not buying into the fans drove him out nonsense.

Problem is, Robbie does not get a fresh start as in the eyes of some he is tainted. If Stendel was not going to be the answer why didn't she take a fresh new approach to the team? After all it wasn't like we didn't have time on our hands to make the most important appointment at the club.

IMO it was not an ambitious appointment, just someone who is seen as a safe pair of hands. 

And FWIW.....This is not knee jerk to Friday night. The early warning signs are already there highlighting the same old style of football that has been the malaise of this club for years. It reeks of the Levein system.

Spot on 👍

2 hours ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Neilson is in a far better situation than Stendel was. He’s had longer to evaluate and work with the players. He’s made more changes to the squad than Stendel did. He’s in an inferior league, playing mostly part time teams. I don’t think anyone can argue that we don’t have the most quality in this league, yet we’re are still playing dire football and struggling to put teams away. Somethings wrong somewhere.

Do you think Neilson would have done any better than Stendel if he had taken over at that time? With the moral and confidence of the team rock bottom? I’m not seeing anything in terms of performance or tactics that would suggest he would have done.

The majority of players should have a point to prove after last season. They admitted they completely under performed. They also stated that they felt hurt and angry about the way the league had ended and how matters unfolded. I can’t say I see any of them looking to burst a gut to make amends.

If they were performing as they are in front of a still hurting Hearts support I think all of them would be getter a much harder time.

I'd respect this more if you'd written it on Friday afternoon 

Just now, ShedBoy said:

👍🏻

Unfortunately we’ll never know.

Depressing

We certainly don’t know if it would have been depressing, or not. 

8 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

How i see it to, glad I'm not the only one. 

14 minutes ago, And he’s not praying! said:

If Avdijaj and Marcel Langer were players Stendel thought could improve Heart of Midlothian then let’s all breathe a huge sigh of relief he’s no longer anywhere near us 

Burley-esque appointments. But....but....but.

I'm glad I'm not the only one

1 hour ago, Francis Albert said:

Clause surely would have referred to relegation not demotion. And some insist we weren't relegated!

OK it might have referred to not playing in the top flight or Premiership or whatever. 

Anyway we will never know what might have been -  it would have been interesting to find out. Some argue that a pressing game won't work in Scotland. I thought Dunfermline did a fair imitation of one on Friday with some success.

You look at celtic and rangers both teams press and it works for them, and your right dunfermline did press against us and it worked 👍

33 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Stendhal got a couple of results against big teams but was hopeless against teams we expected to beat.  Which is the last thing we need this season.

Also, how tiresome is that after one defeat we see threads like this one.  Predictable but frustrating none the less.  

this all day 

And he’s not praying!
12 minutes ago, ShedBoy said:

👍🏻

Unfortunately we’ll never know.

Depressing

Paisley in March.

Depressing.

What we need to see is this squad now step up and perform after Friday. If they don't then it's a complete cultural change required throughout the club. We've seen for too long this squad lose games then tell us 'don't worry next game we'll sort it out' only to fail again. They seem to get an easy time when they should be told from the top it's unacceptable and actually feel the pressure of playing for a top club. We act like a mid table team happy just to win a few games and a defeat means nothing.

Ex member of the SaS

Whilst I support Robbie and was sad when he left first time round, I find it hard to understand how we had so many high profile candidates when Stendel was appointed, why she didn't revisit some of those candidates when Stendel left. Robbie seems like he was offered the job when Levein was still in charge and refused but was happy to take it when it became clear Levein was going. Said many times I felt Robbie was left to get on with it as Levein didn't expect us to win the Championship last time, but when we did he started to interfere and that is why Robbie left.

20 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

I'd respect this more if you'd written it on Friday afternoon 

I’m not sure I 100% understand what you mean by that.

If you think the defeat against Dunfermline in any way shaped my argument you’re wrong. The performance was much the same as we’ve been watching, the result was just different, which just made watching it all the shittier.

IMO we’ve taken a backward step with Neilson, if it wasn’t to be Stendel I would have preferred we had went through the process again to see who was available. As someone posted earlier it is a lazy appointment. We’ve seen this movie before, I didn’t like a lot of it.

Edited by Ethan Hunt

6 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

Burley-esque appointments. But....but....but.

I'm glad I'm not the only one

22 minutes ago, And he’s not praying! said:

Before you go knocking the pish out a guy, that gave up his full wage for a club he had no affiliation to whatsoever, let's look at the facts, 1.levein had spunked the budget 2.levein had spunked the budget3.levein had spunked the budget, how much do you think meshino, pereira, whelan, damour, naismith, washington, berra, we're on, guy had to ship out shite before he could even get players in. 

And boyce being the only player he paid a fee for, and only because we got cash for mulraney, otherwise boyce wasn't coming in, don't believe me ask Daza 👍

4 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

I’m not sure I 100% understand what you mean by that.

If you think the defeat against Dunfermline in any way shaped my argument you’re wrong. The performance was much the same as we’ve been watching, the result was just different, which just made watching g it all the shittier.

IMO we’ve taken a backward step with Neilson, if it wasn’t to be Stendel I would have preferred we had went through the process again to see who was available. As someone posted early it is a lazy appointment. We’ve seen this movie before.

We're in the Championship. In his last two efforts at this, Neilson has walked it. He's already got us in a Cup final (before Bingo pipes up, She del got to the semi, kudos). The players need a kick up.the ******* arse Is all. Neilson can't play for them

1 minute ago, Riccarton3 said:

We're in the Championship. In his last two efforts at this, Neilson has walked it. He's already got us in a Cup final (before Bingo pipes up, She del got to the semi, kudos). The players need a kick up.the ******* arse Is all. Neilson can't play for them

Probably just as well given there’s no crowd to retrieve his sliced forward passes out the stands.

2 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Probably just as well given there’s no crowd to retrieve his sliced forward passes out the stands.

Scottish Cup legend mate. Not too many about

Weakened Offender

The main problem with Hearts over the past two years is everything has been centred around a 34 year old, injury prone player who isn't really that good any more and who still has years on his contract. 

Having said that, Daniel Stendel was a slavering arsehole who should have been sacked immediately after the St Mirren match. 

Edited by Weakened Offender

2 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

The main problem with Hearts over the past two years is everything has been centred around a 34 year old, injury prone player who isn't really that good any more and who still has years on his contract. 

Having said that, Daniel Stendel was a slavering arsehole who should have been sacked immediately after the St Mirren match. 

Something in the first bit. Second is just ironic

Weakened Offender
3 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

Something in the first bit. Second is just ironic

Are you suggesting Stendel wasn't a slavering arsehole or that he shouldn't have been sacked? 

Edited by Weakened Offender

2 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Hmm the lure of the mighty mk dons. 

Sorry, Bongo, but he is a Scottish cup winner with Hearts. This elevates said incumbent to legendary status. The ship of loyalty to one club sailed a long time ago. I am comfortable he knows what the club is all about.

6 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

Are you suggesting Stendel wasn't a slavering arsehole or that he shouldn't have been sacked? 

I do not think he was a slave ring Arsenal's. I hope I make myself clear!!

12 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

Sorry, Bongo, but he is a Scottish cup winner with Hearts. This elevates said incumbent to legendary status. The ship of loyalty to one club sailed a long time ago. I am comfortable he knows what the club is all about.

Aye he's a Scottish Cup winner for hibs to what's your point? 

Edited by Bongo 1874

Weakened Offender
9 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

I do not think he was a slave ring Arsenal's. I hope I make myself clear!!

What are you on about? 😐

And he’s not praying!
8 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Aye he's a Scottish Cup winner for hibs to what's your point? 

And with that, any tiny shred of credibility you had left is no more.

Pathetic.

Away and rim Daniel Stendel on the forum of the club he’s now in charge of, whoever the hell that is.

Daniel Stendel played a huge part in us being demoted. FACT.

Thankfully we have someone in charge now who will be able to sort out the mess he inherited.

12 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

What are you on about? 😐

You asked me of he was a slavering arsehole. I said he wasn't. I couldn't be bother correcting txt. 

I was also saying there is something in the first part of what you said re S Naismith

2 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

I think he could see the longer term difficulties that United face. They really are on shaky ground.

May have been mentioned if so didn't see it!

The fans have 'paid' for the club technically!

Why was the new manager appointment not undertaken by the 'agreed process' post Ann rather than by Ann? It is really no longer within her sole control.....is it?

I know we will never ever be fully informed, but we as fan/owners should be aware of the process/ decisions with clarity as far as possible..........No?

Other thing no one mentions, if the league was called today..........we'd fail!!!

We should be ensuring we are not at risk and the players should absolutely be aware of that!