Dale Tongue

Jambo in Yorkshire

Stendel wasn’t just going to tweak our tactics. Making a decision to move away from defensive turgid hoofball and every single player being used to that under Levein, he was literally re writing the wheel with an attacking high press strategy - unfortunately in mid season. 
he just didn’t have the time afforded to him to do what he needed or wanted to do given the wholesale changes in tactics that showed the inconsistency in a lot of games

the games against the Orcs x2. Vermin and also Aberdeen (when we drew) were amongst some of the best performances from the club that I have seen in years. 

It isn’t Neilson’s fault and Neilson is getting a hard press because of the other night but the other night was down to the players turning up with a billy big baws mentality, and nothing else 

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Whatever

• Riccarton3

• Bongo 1874

• Last Laff

13 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

Stendel wasn’t just going to tweak our tactics. Making a decision to move away from defensive turgid hoofball and every single player being used to that under Levein, he was literally re writing the wheel with an attacking high press strategy - unfortunately in mid season. 
he just didn’t have the time afforded to him to do what he needed or wanted to do given the wholesale changes in tactics that showed the inconsistency in a lot of games

the games against the Orcs x2. Vermin and also Aberdeen (when we drew) were amongst some of the best performances from the club that I have seen in years. 

It isn’t Neilson’s fault and Neilson is getting a hard press because of the other night but the other night was down to the players turning up with a billy big baws mentality, and nothing else 

Naivety on the part of those who hired him and also on himself then? A more pragmatic approach was probably needed by all, given we were in and around the 9th/10th/11th place shortly before he took over. 

The aim should have been survival and survival only. Sacrificing points in the name of playing football his way was an unforgivable error on his part.

We may not have been relegated under Stendel had the season played out but Neilson would not have had us bottom when the league was called early. (imo obv)

Neither would have Levein, tbh. (Imo obv)

Oh and for balance, the Hun victories were great. Nowhere near as good performance wise as Cathros win v them though 👍🏻

Edited by Whatever

7 minutes ago, Whatever said:

Naivety on the part of those who hired him and also on himself then? A more pragmatic approach was probably needed by all, given we were in and around the 9th/10th/11th place shortly before he took over. 

The aim should have been survival and survival only. Sacrificing points in the name of playing football his way was an unforgivable error on his part.

We may not have been relegated under Stendel had the season played out but Neilson would not have had us bottom when the league was called early. (imo obv)

Oh and for balance, the Hun victories were great. Nowhere near as good performance wise as Cathros win v them though 👍🏻

Was the gap between CL removal and Stendel appointment not too long as well. I blame primarily the board - arrogance, confusion and myopia - and the players - lacking character, selfish, leader-less

1 hour ago, Whatever said:

Only one man took us to the bottom of the Premiership though.

so Stendel to blame for that then, no culpability to his predecessor who led us to the situation we were and are in when he arrived?

Just now, Riccarton3 said:

Was the gap between CL removal and Stendel appointment not too long as well. I blame primarily the board - arrogance, confusion and myopia - and the players - lacking character, selfish, leader-less

Aye it was a mess. From sacking Levein and hearing he would remain at the club until the Summer, The Macphee audition and him being kept on and working from home to the time it took to appoint Stendel. 

An utter shambles.

I seen every game Stendel was in charge tho and his tactics were also shambolic at times. To persist with such a high back line given the personnel at his disposal was ridiculous.

Just now, HMFC 86 said:

so Stendel to blame for that then, no culpability to his predecessor who led us to the situation we were and are in when he arrived?

Were we bottom when he arrived?

We're now on our 4th Manager (if you count MacPhee) with the same core of players. There's a common domination in there. It's time to rip up this squad of players and get some in who have the drive desire and ability to take us back to the top end of the top league. This lot are born losers.

16 minutes ago, Whatever said:

Were we bottom when he arrived?

Levein had total control for about 6 years, manager for 2 years, Stendel arrives 3 months into the season to take over a team with zero confidence

1 hour ago, Hearts1975 said:

Agree with this re Stendel. Really wish we had given him a full season. Don’t want to slate Robbie but it’ll not be long before people are moaning about dull boring possession football. Robbie would have struggled to keep Hearts up last season. 

19 minutes ago, HMFC 86 said:

Levein had total control for about 6 years, manager for 2 years, Stendel arrives 3 months into the season to take over a team with zero confidence

Then takes them to the foot of the table...

I doubt even Tommy Wright would have managed that.

1 hour ago, Whatever said:

Rangers had pish playing for them when cathro was at us, when Stendel beat them they had defoe, Davis, Mcgregor a proper rangers team, hence why they are top of the league this season 👍

17 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Rangers had pish playing for them when cathro was at us, when Stendel beat them they had defoe, Davis, Mcgregor a proper rangers team, hence why they are top of the league this season 👍

That ‘proper’ Rangers team that Stendel beat lost the league comfortably 👍🏻

19 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

In fact, them losing at home to ****in Hamilton shortly before lockdown played a huge part in the league being called and Celtic being awarded the title with 8 games to go. 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

1 minute ago, Whatever said:

Defoe or Kenny Miller? Or halliday or ryan Jack, better yet barrie mckay or Ryan Kent, just my opinion but rangers are a far better outfit under Gerrard than they were Warburton caixanha or super ally? 

5 minutes ago, Whatever said:

Strangely enough it's amazing what you can achieve as a manager when given time, how long has Gerrard been at rangers will be 3 years now, and he has then on course to win the league, amazing eh 😉

3 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Defoe or Kenny Miller? Or halliday or ryan Jack, better yet barrie mckay or Ryan Kent, just my opinion but rangers are a far better outfit under Gerrard than they were Warburton caixanha or super ally? 

I’ll put this simply so that you understand.

Had this brilliant Rangers team you speak of not lost to the mighty Hamilton, the league would not have been called with 2 old firm games to go.

Hearts beating them last season was no achievement.

2 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Strangely enough it's amazing what you can achieve as a manager when given time, how long has Gerrard been at rangers will be 3 years now, and he has then on course to win the league, amazing eh 😉

Maybe Stendel would have been afforded such time had he not taken us to the bottom of the Premiership.

But he did.

4 minutes ago, Whatever said:

Had this brilliant Rangers team you speak of not lost to the mighty Hamilton, the league would not have been called with 2 old firm games to go.

Quite clearly is the same team that went to parkhead and did what? 

6 hours ago, Last Laff said:

Yip.

Yet you slagged off anything and everything associated with the club at the time.

You just want to be a little bit different? 

5 minutes ago, Whatever said:

Aye its rangers fault a global pandemic emerged, and the arseholes at the Scottish football association, decided to call the league early hmm 🤔

Just now, Bongo 1874 said:

Aye its rangers fault a global pandemic emerged, and the arseholes at the Scottish football association, decided to call the league early hmm 🤔

Gerrards fault they were so far behind when league was called.

Stendels fault for taking us to bottom spot when league was called.

HTH.

22 minutes ago, Whatever said:

Lost the league by a ****in distance?

They never Lost the league celtic were handed it 😂just like we weren't officially relegated we got demoted, leagues 38 games in a season last time I checked?. 

3 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

They never Lost the league celtic were handed it 😂just like we weren't officially relegated we got demoted, leagues 38 games in a season last time I checked?. 

Had the gap at the top not been so big it wouldn’t have been called. What are you toiling with here?

That Stendel had taken us to the bottom was neither here nor there in the eyes of the decision makers.

Fact remains - He did take us to the bottom of the league.

3 hours ago, Rudy T said:

We're now on our 4th Manager (if you count MacPhee) with the same core of players. There's a common domination in there. It's time to rip up this squad of players and get some in who have the drive desire and ability to take us back to the top end of the top league. This lot are born losers.

Ditto 👈

4 hours ago, Whatever said:

🤣 Appreciate the Cathro point, but lets be honest, Cathro didn't have a clue. Lets put that result down to a unique circumstance 

1st, 2nd and 3rd paragraph - I do take your points. AB should have done her homework. If she was looking for a steady hand at the rudder, Stendel probably wasn't her guy. However, she committed and should have known that we may have dropped down but a season in the Championship and with time to bring in his own team, I still reckon he would have got us competing at the top end of the SPL. That was a revolutionary appointment she made - Nothing was going to be achieved within the timeframe that he was there. (all IMO as well) 

I reckon it would have been at least one full season before we started seeing real signs. Alas, its all speculation now.  

3 hours ago, stevie1874 said:

Agree with this re Stendel. Really wish we had given him a full season. Don’t want to slate Robbie but it’ll not be long before people are moaning about dull boring possession football. Robbie would have struggled to keep Hearts up last season. 

For sure. RN is the here and now, and we know what we will get with Robbie. I do like him and think he knows what he wants to do. The other night was a bad performance but these games do happen. As said before, that's on the players to make sure they put the effort in, rather than just turn up 

Stendel, on the other hand, was a project, no question, but as much as I understand why folk had doubts, if it was because there weren't enough wins or consistency in the immediate sense, then you would probably have to have looked at it a bit more closely, and to identify the positives that may have been there and at the end of the line. I would have much rather that we persevered with DS but we didn't. It will always be one of those what if moments. 

I think one of the problems we had with the Stendel appointment (in hindsight) is that we had all experienced Project Levein since 2014. Because of the way that panned out, none of the support most probably had the patience or the will to go down this road again. 

Seymour M Hersh
13 hours ago, Riccarton3 said:

Barnsley Chairman was being a dick but aye, blame AB. 

Edited by Seymour M Hersh

Seymour M Hersh
11 hours ago, Jambo-Fox said:

Dale Tonge ..... never heard of him before and will probably never hear of him again!!

PS same for Dud Stendel!!

They'll be devastated an internet no-mark hasn't heard of them. Devastated I tell you. :lol:

1 hour ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Look at the position we were in! We were on yet another vanity project at utterly the wrong time. If it was taking too long, BIN it and make a far more pragmatic appointment. 

Seymour M Hersh
13 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

Look at the position we were in! We were on yet another vanity project at utterly the wrong time. If it was taking too long, BIN it and make a far more pragmatic appointment. 

I bet you guess the correct numbers for the previous week's lottery every week. 

Edited by Seymour M Hersh

I think your chairman was probably right to go for Neilson because from reading the board that's  what the majority of  fans wanted and he seems a steady away sort of an appointment, plus having the connection with your club.

Having seen Daniel get us promoted over a season I'm glad I have that memory. I wish he'd been allowed a more experienced defence for our start to the Championship but these things happen. think most of your fans would have enjoyed the way he went about  taking you up this season, but tbh maybe not as its just not the same not being there in the stafiums. He's too good a coach not to get another chance, I hope he chooses wisely. 

What position were you in the league when he started?

35 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

I bet you guess the correct numbers for the previous week's lottery every week. 

Yes, I do but nobody notices because I am just an internet no - mark😞

Arthur Morgan
15 hours ago, Redhelen said:

I think we were 10th at the time, but could be wrong.

Weakened Offender
On 21/11/2020 at 14:46, Bongo 1874 said:

Have no doubt him Stendel and stern could've done something special at us. 

I guess if you are a H1b5 fan then they what they achieved 'at us' in the short time they were here was 'something special.' 

On 21/11/2020 at 21:15, stevie1874 said:

The same boring possession football that won us the championship last time and then got us to 2nd In the Premier league before he left aye? 

As someone just mentioned. Since he left we have had 4 managers with the same players. 

Perhaps it's the players who are at our disposal and not the way they are being coached. 

This club past few years has been shambolic yet still managing to reach cup finals. 

Only hearts 

20 hours ago, Redhelen said:

I think your chairman was probably right to go for Neilson because from reading the board that's  what the majority of  fans wanted and he seems a steady away sort of an appointment, plus having the connection with your club.

Having seen Daniel get us promoted over a season I'm glad I have that memory. I wish he'd been allowed a more experienced defence for our start to the Championship but these things happen. think most of your fans would have enjoyed the way he went about  taking you up this season, but tbh maybe not as its just not the same not being there in the stafiums. He's too good a coach not to get another chance, I hope he chooses wisely. 

Joint bottom.  Massive difference apparently. 

1 minute ago, Restonbabe said:

The same boring possession football that won us the championship last time and then got us to 2nd In the Premier league before he left aye? 

As someone just mentioned. Since he left we have had 4 managers with the same players. 

Perhaps it's the players who are at our disposal and not the way they are being coached. 

This club past few years has been shambolic yet still managing to reach cup finals. 

Only hearts 

It was shite football and it was boring before he left Rangers aside. And remember, he walked out just as his mentor did.  Cup finals mean zip unless won.  Ask hibs. 

4 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

It was shite football and it was boring before he left Rangers aside. And remember, he walked out just as his mentor did.  Cup finals mean zip unless won.  Ask hibs. 

So the semi final wins ment nothing then both in the league Cup and Scottish Cup? Yes papped by rangers but if haring didn't get injured and colum didn't give celtic that peno we would have had another cup. 

27 days to anither cup final 

30 minutes ago, Restonbabe said:

So the semi final wins ment nothing then both in the league Cup and Scottish Cup? Yes papped by rangers but if haring didn't get injured and colum didn't give celtic that peno we would have had another cup. 

27 days to anither cup final 

What league cup semi?  Because we haven’t won it I can’t remember any memorable one,  no.

The rest is conjuncture.  If the ref didn’t give penalties in Perth and Hampden 5-1 wouldn’t have happened.  Our semi final penalty against hibs was as soft and as much or a penalty as Celtics that day also.  Not that I’m complaining.  Semis and finals means nothing unless we win.  Who remembers Dundee in the final against rangers or Dunfermline against Celtic? Nobody. 

3 hours ago, stuart500 said:

Dale Tongue should have licked us into shape.

Yep I heard he was a good licker almost as good as the Drambuie liqueur....

5 hours ago, Weakened Offender said:

I guess if you are a H1b5 fan then they what they achieved 'at us' in the short time they were here was 'something special.' 

Hibs fan 😂ask anyone on this forum, I don't know if it's because the guy is German but why the hate for him, I mean i could think of people i would have more reason to be angry with? 

56 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Hibs fan 😂ask anyone on this forum, I don't know if it's because the guy is German but why the hate for him, I mean i could think of people i would have more reason to be angry with? 

sadly when someone disagrees with an opinion they assume your an undercover hits fan try to take the mick out of us. also Daniel should've been given the chance for a summer transfer window/ pre season as he wasn't given the same opportunities as cathro levein nielson. just look at what he did with barnsely when he had a full pre season. some people say they want this club to be successful but are happy with a 'safe' option of a manager. truth be told there is no such thing as a safe option she's gone for the cheap option just like she did when she Brough cathro and levein in. 

Weakened Offender
39 minutes ago, jambocall51 said:

sadly when someone disagrees with an opinion they assume your an undercover hits fan try to take the mick out of us. also Daniel should've been given the chance for a summer transfer window/ pre season as he wasn't given the same opportunities as cathro levein nielson. just look at what he did with barnsely when he had a full pre season. some people say they want this club to be successful but are happy with a 'safe' option of a manager. truth be told there is no such thing as a safe option she's gone for the cheap option just like she did when she Brough cathro and levein in. 

I wasn't calling him a H1b5 fan. 

3 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Has it not got more to do with you and you talking crap all the time? Looking back all the time. What is the ******** point? It's gone. Move the **** on. Nobody had a problem with Stendel the man. Hate? What ?

9 hours ago, Restonbabe said:

Only hearts 

Calm down, I’m fully behind Robbie Nielson, just stated that I’d have preferred to have given Stendel a chance if a full season. Well never know what would have happened,  but hopefully the keep ball possession football Robbie likes his teams to play is a success moving forward. 

On 22/11/2020 at 10:23, Seymour M Hersh said:

In fairness, we were interviewing duds like Steve Cotterill weeks before Stendel came in. Budge said on that documentary that Stendel was the man she wanted from day 1, but that's surely pish. I know there was a lot of red tape involved with the Barnsley chairman, but it seemed to be resolved pretty quickly.