Requirements

2:2 or lower

Decent money (18k plus)

Opportunity to get a decent qualification whilst working

Relatively exciting/Decent

Edinburgh or surround a likely option

Need to actually try hard and get one this year before all my exemptions expire

Cheers in advance

Just a guess but probably not the best time to be looking for graduate jobs. Just checl out every big companies website. They all have links and details. :)

Good luck, think you may need it !!

Just a guess but probably not the best time to be looking for graduate jobs. Just checl out every big companies website. They all have links and details. :)

Good luck, think you may need it !!

Tbh I cant be assed with the big companies

would prefer something relativly small

The amount of hoops the big ones expect you to jump through is ridicolous, and you can easily spend hours per company

Not to mention there ridicolous habit of refusing to do assessment centres anywere decent

I had a look at them last year and gave up in the end, too much hassle at a time i had more important things too worry about

The amount of hoops the big ones expect you to jump through is ridicolous, and you can easily spend hours per company

Not to mention there ridicolous habit of refusing to do assessment centres anywere decent

I had a look at them last year and gave up in the end, too much hassle at a time i had more important things too worry about

I have no idea about smaller companies. But you are probably right, much better chance of getting somewhere in a smaller place. Find a few that are in the sector you want to work in and give them a call. Nothing to lose. ;)

Beggars can't be choosers Banksy...

Ukio Bankas may be looking for staff though.

BTW in your OP, 2.2 or LOWER? You're having a giraffe, yeah?

2:2?

Forget it.

Ronald%20McDonald.jpg

Pucker up.

Hey! I got a Desmond and haven't turned out too badly! (although the Postgrad probably trumped it and helped immeasurably...)

Anyone know of any decent ones

Requirements

Decent money (18k plus)

Cheers in advance

Here are the top 30 graduate employers, decided by students.

TOP 100 GRADUATE EMPLOYERS2007 2006 Employer Sector

1 -1 PricewaterhouseCoopers Services

2 -2 Deloitte Services

3 -3 KPMG Services

4 -4 Civil Service Public Sector

5 -5 BBC Media

6 -6 NHS Public Sector

7 -8 Accenture Services

8 -7 HSBC Banking

9 -12 Aldi Retail

10 -10 Goldman Sachs Banking

11 -14 Ernst & Young Services

12 -11 Shell Industrial

13 -17 GlaxoSmithKline Health

14 -16 Teach First Public sector

15 -9 Procter & Gamble Consumer goods

16 -15 RBS Group Banking

17 -22 Marks & Spencer Retail

18 -13 Army Public Sector

19 -20 BP Industrial

20 -31 UBS Banking

21 -18 IBM Services

22 -19 JP Morgan Banking

23 -21 Unilever Consumer goods

24 -23 Rolls Royce Industrial

25 -27 Police Public sector

26 -26 Tesco Retail

27 -35 Barclays Bank Banking

28 -44 Linklaters Law

29 -33 Deutsche Bank Banking

30 -28 L'Oreal Consumer goods

You could always join the police at no 25, ahead of Barclays Bank.:)

Brian Whittaker's Tache

What do you actually want to do? What's your degree in?

Hey! I got a Desmond and haven't turned out too badly! (although the Postgrad probably trumped it and helped immeasurably...)

Same here! All the best students get 2:2s! Still convinced it could've been a first if it wasn't for all the partying! Bloody typical that techno came out whilst I was trying to do a degree!

Same here! All the best students get 2:2s! Still convinced it could've been a first if it wasn't for all the partying! Bloody typical that techno came out whilst I was trying to do a degree!

Do we know each other?

The "E" Plan diet certainly affected my work/life balance back in the day...:P

The amount of hoops the big ones expect you to jump through is ridicolous

too much hassle

Typical graduate. Wants something for nothing. :(

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Snap!

I like to think I got a social degree

Is it coincidence that I now work for a booze company?

Pah, you went to an ancient old boy. That's different ;)

Pah, you went to an ancient old boy. That's different ;)

Well, that's very true.

I remember when being interviewed for my current job, an academic on the panel mentioned my 2:2 from Glasgow saying that I had a very good degree. I could have kissed him...:o

Typical graduate. Wants something for nothing. :(

Barely

Im all for reasonable tests, and procedures

But expecting people to take time from study/work to complete a 2 hour application form, followed by a 50 minute psychometric test, followed by further tests, followed by phone interviews, followed by assessment days far away all for the possibility of a job is to much

Im happy to send off CV's, do related tests and generally do stuff with a point but I actually detest the ridicolous tests the big lot expect you to do

Psychometric tests and "team" assessment days = waste of time

Walter Payton
Barely

Im all for reasonable tests, and procedures

But expecting people to take time from study/work to complete a 2 hour application form, followed by a 50 minute psychometric test, followed by further tests, followed by phone interviews, followed by assessment days far away all for the possibility of a job is to much

Im happy to send off CV's, do related tests and generally do stuff with a point but I actually detest the ridicolous tests the big lot expect you to do

Psychometric tests and "team" assessment days = waste of time

If you think that's too much work to do when you should be trying to prove yourself a hard worker and you're ready to go that extra mile, I'm not sure I'd want to give you a job. The graduate jobs at big companies are in that much demand, its probably fair game for them to have extensive recruitment programmes to ensure they get the best (in their opinion) of those that apply.

If you want to be the best gotta jump thru hoops.... hows work not the most important thing to think about, you dono what you've got. If the jobs good enuff you would travel to assessment centres... you stupid.

I think feck all like the above but waited a long time for Prancer to complain about something stemming from a Capitalist way of business.

You getting weak in your old age?

No disrespect to the desmonds in the thread, but I thought most graduate programmes had minimum requirements of a 2:1?

The OP will be lucky to even get a phone interview with a 2:2.

Here are the top 30 graduate employers, decided by students.

Might get a look in with a 2:2

1 -1 PricewaterhouseCoopers Services

3 -3 KPMG Services

6 -6 NHS Public Sector

13 -17 GlaxoSmithKline Health

14 -16 Teach First Public sector

15 -9 Procter & Gamble Consumer goods

9 -12 Aldi Retail

17 -22 Marks & Spencer Retail

18 -13 Army Public Sector

23 -21 Unilever Consumer goods

24 -23 Rolls Royce Industrial

25 -27 Police Public sector

26 -26 Tesco Retail

30 -28 L'Oreal Consumer goods

Not a chance of getting on their grad programmes without at least a 2:1

2 -2 Deloitte Services

4 -4 Civil Service Public Sector

5 -5 BBC Media

7 -8 Accenture Services

8 -7 HSBC Banking

10 -10 Goldman Sachs Banking

11 -14 Ernst & Young Services

12 -11 Shell Industrial

16 -15 RBS Group Banking

19 -20 BP Industrial

20 -31 UBS Banking

21 -18 IBM Services

22 -19 JP Morgan Banking

27 -35 Barclays Bank Banking

28 -44 Linklaters Law

29 -33 Deutsche Bank Banking

You could always join the police at no 25, ahead of Barclays Bank.:)

You might get a job with the 2:1 list bunch but it wouldn't be on there grad scheme.

If you're not prepared to jump through the hoops for any of them then you're screwed. Try and find a wee local accounting firm that'll fund your training, but it'll take longer to climb the ladder.

Anyone know of any decent ones

Requirements

Decent money (18k plus)

Cheers in advance

This doesn't tick all your boxes, but you cannot beat it for work, pay and conditions. Try http://www.nats.co.uk Give it serious thought, I did and don't regret it for a minute. Working in Prestwick at the moment, not at the airport but at the area centrem (not going to explain). It's really good, plenty of time off. Only downside is that you won't get all your weekends off.

You might get a job with the 2:1 list bunch but it wouldn't be on there grad scheme.

If you're not prepared to jump through the hoops for any of them then you're screwed. Try and find a wee local accounting firm that'll fund your training, but it'll take longer to climb the ladder.[/QUOTE]

The moneys crap with them

Id have to take a wage cut so they can jump :rolleyes:

So you want a well paid job, with training etc. but you don't want to go through a rigorous application process.

Do you not think everyone wants that, hence the feckin' drawn out and admittedly frustrating hiring system?

So you want a well paid job, with training etc. but you don't want to go through a rigorous application process.

Do you not think everyone wants that, hence the feckin' drawn out and admittedly frustrating hiring system?

Spot on IMO. There is a reason it is annoying and a hassle. To weed out those who cant be bothered with putting in the extra effort. I think BFE looks like falling into that category !!

Spot on IMO. There is a reason it is annoying and a hassle. To weed out those who cant be bothered with putting in the extra effort. I think BFE looks like falling into that category !!

Im all for reasonable ones but expecting people to fill out stupid psychometric tests for every role is pointless and a waste of time and pretty unreasonable at times when students have finals and other commitments

Likewise expecting them to travel to liverpool for a job in scotland when they have exams

The whole system is completely pointless

Im happy to fill out big forms, do relevent tests, attend an interview were the job is etc

Its also imo biased towards english students

Im all for reasonable ones but expecting people to fill out stupid psychometric tests for every role is pointless and a waste of time and pretty unreasonable at times when students have finals and other commitments

Likewise expecting them to travel to liverpool for a job in scotland when they have exams

The whole system is completely pointless

Im happy to fill out big forms, do relevent tests, attend an interview were the job is etc

Its also imo biased towards english students

I agree that most of it is 'pointless'.

But that, IMO, is the point. ;)

Why not wait until you've finished your exams then?

Seriously, I wouldn't hire you if you come across anything like this in real life. The whole world isn't against you. It's not geared towards English students - beyond the fact more head offices (and a much larger chunk of the population is based down there) so it makes sense for the majority.

Frankly, if you're studying so hard that you can't make the time to go through the process... then why the feck are you getting a 2:2?

A Desmond is a gentleman's degree - it's not for library bound geeks without a spare minute in the day.

Why not wait until you've finished your exams then?

Seriously, I wouldn't hire you if you come across anything like this in real life. The whole world isn't against you. It's not geared towards English students - beyond the fact more head offices (and a much larger chunk of the population is based down there) so it makes sense for the majority.

Frankly, if you're studying so hard that you can't make the time to go through the process... then why the feck are you getting a 2:2?

A Desmond is a gentleman's degree - it's not for library bound geeks without a spare minute in the day.

Ive already graduated with a 2:2

Im pretty happy with it considering the major problems which screwed up my final year

I couldnt get a graduate job for last summer as I was ill and got a job to tide me over and I am now looking for something

Im in a bit of a catch 22 situation though as my current salary is better than a lot of the entry graduate jobs

I just fail to see the point of a lot of the processes

I just spent 2 hours on one and im not even nearly finished

I must admit that the above statement has made me laugh.

Oh the irony...;)

If you want to be the best gotta jump thru hoops.... hows work not the most important thing to think about, you dono what you've got. If the jobs good enuff you would travel to assessment centres... you stupid.

According to Roy Castle, dedication's all you need.

Desmond's are the slackers choice of degree.

Mine was ruined by The Shamen and the Happy Mondays. As for the man who invented MDMA.

I salute you.

brellierlegend
Ive already graduated with a 2:2

Im pretty happy with it considering the major problems which screwed up my final year

I couldnt get a graduate job for last summer as I was ill and got a job to tide me over and I am now looking for something

Im in a bit of a catch 22 situation though as my current salary is better than a lot of the entry graduate jobs

I just fail to see the point of a lot of the processes

I just spent 2 hours on one and im not even nearly finished

Thats life! Man up or stay in your current position. Thats your choice. Sometimes you have to do things you do not like. Potential employers are not going to be to keen on you if you cannot even be bothered to go through the application process.

Desmond's are the slackers choice of degree.

Mine was ruined by The Shamen and the Happy Mondays. As for the man who invented MDMA.

I salute you.

hehehehe

Job's a good 'un :)

Archived