Official Neilson Out Thread ( merged )

best in the land

Honestly we have been rotten for years, that's not Neilson's fault. He has inherited a team that struggle to win at all, for me it's surprising we have won 8 out of 9. Yes some signings have been poor, but look at our situation, relegation and covid... We arnt able to sign world beaters. Folk on here talking about Stendel... Stendel's signings were shocking too and his football was rank. Just because he was German and wanted to play high pressing football doesn't mean he was Jurgen Klopp. 

Yes the performances have been poor and not good enough, but last season we wouldn't have won 8 out of 9 of these games. In football s*** happens, I'm positive that Robbie will learn from this. I actually remember the football in Neilson's first season being really good, and the start of our return to the premiership being good football, until the bottle crashed, but even then we finished 3rd and where challenging at the right end of the table when he left last time... I'd take finishing 3rd in the premiership over good football tbh. 

Too many people on here waiting for Robbie to stumble so they can get the pitch forks out... Support your team and back your manager. Give him a chance to rebuild from the s***show that CL created after Robbie left.

• Replies 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Pasquale for King

• Bongo 1874

• GinRummy

Last night was a Levein type of performance, no energy and no one willing to do anything other than the paint by numbers football that has us where we are at this time. I could have predicted every pass that Hearts played in this game.

fabienleclerq

He got it wrong last night. Everything too central, no width. Wighton out wide etc. 

The players need to have a look at themselves as they didn't work as hard as Dunfermline and didn't show their quality. 

15 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

We were poor last night... but we're going to get these type of games. My bug bear is playing the likes of Wighton on he wing! If we don't have two wingers available, I wish he would just play 4-4-2 (Wighton and Boyce up front). I don't think Frear is the answer... had a handful of games and he hasn't been good. For me, Robbie makes too many changes in the middle of the park - he changes it every game. It was the same when he was last with us - maybe it's just me, but I prefer a team that doesn't get rejigged every game, especially in midfield.

We were poor... but we had chances and hit the woodwork a couple of times but Dunfermline got their tactics right and took their chances. Basically, we got what we deserved. However, we don't have a full season to get things right, it could be called half way through again so we have to make sure we're at the top of the pile. So no more square pegs for round holes, for me.... and I'm getting fed up of seeing Boyce in his own half. For me, he is a striker/goal scorer and should never be far from the oppositions box.

The highlighted part is, for me, the defining characteristic of Hearts teams since the last Championship season, whether under Neilson, Cathro or Levein. No attempt to establish a settled line-up, seemingly random team selections (injuries and suspensions notwithstanding), no clear idea of who was best in which position, no consistency or continuity.

I think it’s possible for clubs operating at an extremely high level with very intelligent and versatile players to attempt this kind of strategy if they’re constantly operating on three or four fronts, have midweek European matches throughout the season etc. But that’s clearly not us. 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, iainmac said:

This seems to be the elephant in the room for some people.

Strange!

Maybe, but I'm not convinced. 

In most of our wins imo we've been the better team, even last night I don't think we were outplayed. 

If you think giving our resources we should win every game 3/4+ then yes you'll think we aren't playing well and are playing shite. 

I'm in between, we aren't playing well enough and should and can play better, but we've still been the better team in most of the games. 

It depends on your mindset, if you expect us to win every game by a large score I think people will be disappointed, if you think we'll win every game, ditto. 

If you think winning and consistencey is more important then I think you'll feel OK and we will have some big scores along the way when everyone is happy.

Edited by Smith's right boot
Most

complete control
1 hour ago, luckydug said:

Surely we are all Hearts cheerleaders ? 

Just that apart from one game there's not much to cheer about. 😕

na. he spouts crap and has the blinkers on just like sutton with celtic

1 hour ago, Nookie Bear said:

Hey, we managed 58% of the possession so were clearly dominant 😂

It was worrying that Dunfermline were happy to concede the possession, whilst they pressed us. They were obviously comfortable, that as long as we had the ball and they pressed and harried then it would be the regular from Hearts.....pass, pass, pass x10 then a lump up the park. Our midfield need to sharpen up big time as we're not really setting the heather on fire performance wise. Big performance needed Tuesday to get back on track

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Henderson Moore and Irving played basically every game under Stendel who got us relegated bud? Do you even watch Hearts? 

Folk miss this. 

CL left us 2nd bottom. 

Stendel left us adrift at the bottom. 

Stendel was worse than CL. 

Long term, who knows what would have happened but Stendel actually done what many though was impossible in the short term-make us worse. 

1 hour ago, Rogue Daddy said:

We were poor last night... but we're going to get these type of games. My bug bear is playing the likes of Wighton on he wing! If we don't have two wingers available, I wish he would just play 4-4-2 (Wighton and Boyce up front). I don't think Frear is the answer... had a handful of games and he hasn't been good. For me, Robbie makes too many changes in the middle of the park - he changes it every game. It was the same when he was last with us - maybe it's just me, but I prefer a team that doesn't get rejigged every game, especially in midfield.

We were poor... but we had chances and hit the woodwork a couple of times but Dunfermline got their tactics right and took their chances. Basically, we got what we deserved. However, we don't have a full season to get things right, it could be called half way through again so we have to make sure we're at the top of the pile. So no more square pegs for round holes, for me.... and I'm getting fed up of seeing Boyce in his own half. For me, he is a striker/goal scorer and should never be far from the oppositions box.

Exactly this is at the heart of the issues. 

we all said coming into this season, we put our best settled side out, playing our formation and we go and smash the opposition. 

Well it will be 10 games soon and predictably we will have changed the starting line up in every game. 

What is worse though is we will also have changed our formation during the game in every match. That is shocking. 

He still appears to have no idea how to fit Wighton, Boyce, Walker and Naismith into the team. 

7 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Maybe, but I'm not convinced. 

In most of our wins imo we've been the better team, even last night I don't think we were outplayed. 

If you think giving our resources we should win every game 3/4+ then yes you'll think we aren't playing well and are playing shite. 

I'm in between, we aren't playing well enough and should and can play better, but we've still been the better team in most of the games. 

It depends on your mindset, if you expect us to win every game by a large score I think people will be disappointed, if you think we'll win every game, ditto. 

If you think winning and consistencey is more important then I think you'll feel OK and we will have some big scores along the way when everyone is happy.

Invent your own straw man.... "if you think...." then argue against it. 

How very clever of you. 

"If you think" we're playing well, I'm not convinced you're even watching our games. 

Nobody said we're expecting to win by 3/4 goals every game but some of us - not you, obviously - were certainly expecting better performances than we're seeing. 

highlandjambo3
12 hours ago, Mister T said:

First defeat and the pitchfork brigade are out and rattling the keyboards. How predictable. 🙄

Agreed..........we will win more games than any other team in the championship........but (this in big letters)...WE WONT WIN EVERY GAME.

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, iainmac said:

How very clever of you. 

"If you think" we're playing well, I'm not convinced you're even watching our games. 

Nobody said we're expecting to win by 3/4 goals every game but some of us - not you, obviously - were certainly expecting better performances than we're seeing. 

I think we've been the better team in most games but can play better, we've also won 8 out of 9 games and in the national Cup final. 

Every club in the world will feel they should and can play better. 

Not every club will have won 8/9 games and progressed in two cups tho. 

Add the two together - I'm not worried. 

If we don't win the next two games, I'll become worried and join the rage. 

8 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

I think we've been the better team in most games but can play better, we've also won 8 out of 9 games and in the national Cup final. 

Every club in the world will feel they should and can play better. 

Not every club will have won 8/9 games and progressed in two cups tho. 

Add the two together - I'm not worried. 

If we don't win the next two games, I'll become worried and join the rage. 

Have a look at the standard of opposition in the games we've won & that'll tell its own story. 

The performances - not the results - are the worrying aspect for me. People worrying about our performances = "the rage"? 

Aye, OK then. 

Edited by iainmac

12 hours ago, Saughton Jambo said:

First defeat and we’ve now got a Robbie bashing thread. Give him time ffs. He still inherited a shit show. Our squad next year won’t resemble this years squad. If Robbie needs to motivate players then these players aren’t the answer. Pulling the maroon shirt on should be enough.

We have no real leader or any leaders on the park. Halkett is not a centre half and hasn’t been since he signed for us. Roberts is just a shite signing, Halliday isn’t fit, Lee still takes too long on the ball, Naismith is getting slow, Wighton isn’t a wide man, Boyce isn’t a natural goal scorer and Popescu is a championship player at worst. Jamie Walker is a luxury but not when the going gets tough....have I missed anyone? 
Michael Smith is our most honest pro and never gives anything less than 100%. 

It’s going to be another long season I’m afraid.  

It in a nutshell.  But remember several were Robbie's signings.

16 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Agreed..........we will win more games than any other team in the championship........but (this in big letters)...WE WONT WIN EVERY GAME.

It's the performance that led to last night's defeat that surely must be of concern.

13 hours ago, Mister T said:

First defeat and the pitchfork brigade are out and rattling the keyboards. How predictable. 🙄

A lot of bed-wetters who were most probably writing euphoric posts about Hearts being world beaters only a couple of short weeks ago. 

26 minutes ago, iainmac said:

How very clever of you. 

Count me in on that last para.

Bazzas right boot
19 minutes ago, iainmac said:

Have a look at the standard of opposition in the games we've won & that'll tell its own story. 

The performances - not the results - are the worrying aspect for me. People worrying about our performances = "the rage"? 

Aye, OK then. 

There's a thread with folk want Robbie removed. 

There at several heads ripping our players. 

Yes, rage. 

Some are concerned, in fact- everyone is concerned, not one person has said they are 100% happy. 

As I said 8/9 wins, progress in both cups - happy. 

1 defeat - unhappy 

Room for improvement - yes. 

Do I think we'll win the league - yes. 

Do we need to Sack everyone and say we've been shite all season - no. 

👍

Bazzas right boot
11 minutes ago, chrystaf said:

It's the performance that led to last night's defeat that surely must be of concern.

Apparently the performance in winning and getting beat is the concern. 

11 hours ago, Bob Loblaw said:

We are 9 games into a season.  We have won 8 and got to a cup final, beating our rivals in the process.  My standards are fine, I'm just not losing my mind over a defeat. Nor am I happy, it was shite and if we turn that in regularly it's a problem, but the goal is is to get promoted. Which we will do comfortably.

Too many pant wetters and hobos on here that will totally ignore this post. Roll on Tuesday

I think we’ll get stronger as the season goes on, performances will improve, players will be fitter and results will follow.

I don’t think Dunfermline and Raith will do similar. I’d expect them both to drop silly points over the coming weeks.

Last night wasn’t good enough but I’m not overly concerned yet.

Roll on Tuesday.

43 minutes ago, hearts00 said:

Exactly this is at the heart of the issues. 

we all said coming into this season, we put our best settled side out, playing our formation and we go and smash the opposition. 

Well it will be 10 games soon and predictably we will have changed the starting line up in every game. 

What is worse though is we will also have changed our formation during the game in every match. That is shocking. 

He still appears to have no idea how to fit Wighton, Boyce, Walker and Naismith into the team. 

Re your last point, the trouble is that they shouldn’t all be shoe-horned into the team. Naismith and Walker can only pay the no 10 role effectively, so you have one or the other, but not both. Similarly, Wighton should never be played on the wing, cos he’s gash there. Robbie is paid to make the hard decisions and he’s not making them.

Boyce, wighton and Walker play much better than any combination that includes Naismith. He was a top player, he was a good striker but for some reason it just doesn't work with him in the team the majority of the time

4 minutes ago, Bozi said:

Boyce, wighton and Walker play much better than any combination that includes Naismith. He was a top player, he was a good striker but for some reason it just doesn't work with him in the team the majority of the time

I agree. Naismith coming on later on in the games seems to make a bigger impact than him playing the full 90.

Governor Tarkin

Anyone who uses the term 'pant wetters' should be wrapped to a concrete fence post with chicken wire and lobbed into the lake at a disused quarry.

Weakened Offender
1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

Folk miss this. 

CL left us 2nd bottom. 

Stendel left us adrift at the bottom. 

Stendel was worse than CL. 

Long term, who knows what would have happened but Stendel actually done what many though was impossible in the short term-make us worse. 

Stendel was worse than Cathro. 

Last night against Dunfermline had better be a massive wake up call for Robbie & his staff. When you are not playing well but still winning against teams like Cowdenbeath, Inverness, Arbroath & East Fife it must be obvious that the way we’re playing from back to front is disjointed. When a team like Dunfermline plays the press our defenders are given the ball, look up pass it back and forwards for a while eventually one try’s to play a pass which is not on. Why because our midfield are closely marked, our two wide men are standing on the touch line and Boyce has 2 men on him. One example of the players not being coached or wise enough how to break the press. Wake up Hearts playing for the last 10 minutes of a game is not good enough.

Governor Tarkin
3 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Was re-hiring Robbie the safe, comfort blanket move for AB? 

What do you think?

Kidd’s Boots

Last night was the first time in the league RN has come up against a system that our personnel couldn't match up against. Whittaker had Naismith in his pocket for the first 45 mins and their young lad in midfield had more energy and commitment than Halliday and Lee combined, and if I'm correct was the source of both their bookings. Moving Naismith wide left at the start of the 2nd half removed the shackles, but again he drifted, Boyce had to drop in the space Naismith left to try and get things moving faster through the midfield, but Naismith was not there as an outlet. The mistake for me is not playing Boyce and Wighton as a 2 up top. Wighton has the pace to do the running for Boyce, let him do it and get the midfield 15 yards further up the park to support. 

Concerning that we're seeing the players first thought to be back or sideways far too often. It's far too easy to play against. We should be blitzing teams with intensity in this league. 

Even the poorer quality teams have us sussed already. Make themselves hard to break down as we have no creativity and they know they will get chances at the other end. I fear this was probably the same model he used with Dundee U last year, however we don't have our Shankland. Even the Dundee game, many of the goals were freakish. 

No time for panic but it needs to be a big kick up the arse. 

Governor Tarkin
2 minutes ago, Kidd’s Boots said:

Last night was the first time in the league RN has come up against a system that our personnel couldn't match up against. Whittaker had Naismith in his pocket for the first 45 mins and their young lad in midfield had more energy and commitment than Halliday and Lee combined, and if I'm correct was the source of both their bookings. Moving Naismith wide left at the start of the 2nd half removed the shackles, but again he drifted, Boyce had to drop in the space Naismith left to try and get things moving faster through the midfield, but Naismith was not there as an outlet. The mistake for me is not playing Boyce and Wighton as a 2 up top. Wighton has the pace to do the running for Boyce, let him do it and get the midfield 15 yards further up the park to support. 

Interesting post. 👍

Seymour M Hersh
2 minutes ago, Gambo said:

Just like re-appointing Levein.

Not technically her re appointment but I get where you are coming from. 

A_A wehatethehibs
15 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Anyone who uses the term 'pant wetters' should be wrapped to a concrete fence post with chicken wire and lobbed into the lake at a disused quarry.

Agree, there needs to be a new term to describe people who childishly overreact when things don’t go their way and make pathetic arses of themselves. Any suggestions? 

Governor Tarkin
2 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Agree, there needs to be a new term to describe people who childishly overreact when things don’t go their way and make pathetic arses of themselves. Any suggestions? 

Smith's right boot.

Boyce - not coming together for him.

Wighton - just gets pass marks when played up top, but played wide recently.

Naismith - best stuff is done on halfway line.

Frear - zero confidence

Roberts - looks uninterested last few games.

Lee - just not happening

Walker - looks a loner and uninterested

Halliday - uncomfortable in most games

Irving - not grabbing opportunity

Hackett- goals save him from more criticism.

Popescu - can be uncomfortable on left.

Guinelly- injured

Henderson - struggling to make an impression.

White - can't hold down a position.

Gordon/Smith/Kingsley doing ok.

That is worryingly a lot of players not 'performing' most weeks.

It is Neilsons job to rectify above problems and make a team out of.

We have a squad of players that any other team in this league would happily have in their team/squad.

Neilson so far falling to get the best from what is available, players also need to shake themselves.

Edited by Gambo

What is up with Moore?

He was given a 2 year extension before Neilson arrived back in June, so presumably that was by Budge?

Interesting he hasn't been part of Neilson's plans.

3 minutes ago, Gambo said:

Boyce - not coming together for him.

Wighton - just gets pass marks when played up top, but played wide recently.

Naismith - best stuff is done on halfway line.

Frear - zero confidence

Roberts - looks uninterested last few games.

Lee - just not happening

Walker - looks a loner and uninterested

Halliday - uncomfortable in most games

Irving - not grabbing opportunity

Hackett- goals save him from more criticism.

Popescu - can be uncomfortable on left.

Guinelly- injured

Henderson - struggling to make an impression.

White - can't hold down a position.

Gordon/Smith/Kingsley doing ok.

That is worryingly a lot of players not 'performing' most weeks.

It is Neilsons job to rectify above problems and make a team out of.

We have a squad of players that any other team in this league would happily have in their team/squad.

Neilson so far falling to get the best from what is available, players also need to shake themselves.

Your right and the team looks disjointed unlike the Dunfermline team where every player knew their system, bought into it and looked like a very good team. 

Bazzas right boot
32 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

Stendel was worse than Cathro. 

Ooft!!! 

I'm not getting involved ion that one, but you may have a point, in stendels defence he taken a team in decline on, cathro completely ****ed up a decent side 😭😭😭

Bazzas right boot
18 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Nah, it's the perfect term. 

If the shoe fits n ' all. 

Bazzas right boot
16 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Smith's right boot.

Meooww.... 

You are quite the Internet hard man. 

Bazzas right boot
10 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Your right and the team looks disjointed unlike the Dunfermline team where every player knew their system, bought into it and looked like a very good team. 

Dunfermline look effective and a decent unit, Likley a benefit of having a manager in for two seasons and despite being pish last season getting another chance to continue. 

11 hours ago, Aaron78 said:

We've won 3 out of 4 in the league. It's a decent start, not perfect, but not terrible. The 8 out of 9 wins isn't a fair baseline for future performance in the league as current form is based upon playing against teams in leagues below us. If we get to the unprecedented point where at the end of the season we've won every 8 out of 9 games then any hearts fans who criticise the team clearly need to sort themselves out. That's not the current situation though is it, so maybe you should concentrate on responding to that instead of inventing scenarios that haven't happened 👍

This whole forum is folk speculating on invented scenarios that haven't happened yet, I'll keep doing the same thanks.

ps. In the cups we've played and beat Hibs, Inverness and Raith Rovers, none of them are in lower divisions than us so is it ok to say 6 out of 7?.

• davemclaren changed the title to Official Neilson Out Thread ( merged )