Win the battle, then play football

vegas-voss

We failed to win any battles tonight whereas Dunfermline did.  In this league, winning our battles will be the difference between routine promotion or what we witnessed tonight.

FWIW, I hope Robbie is tearing the players a new one right now.

I really didn't think there was even that much of a battle just very poor slow ponderous and constant we passes doing nothing.Oh and scared to shoot.

wattie exploited

we haven't had a decent midfield player who can open up defenses for years now and our midfield is pretty rank 

really wish we could sign someone with a bit class to open up defences and help out our forwards who basically are getting starved of good quality balls to set up some chances :rifle:

wattie exploited
11 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

It’s a fair post. We have players who are decent at certain jobs in midfield but are either too slow, too cowardly or lack composure or grit. 

most off our midfield are more defense minded I think the last great midfield players off note was hartley and ruddi  would love to have someone like that type in the team :rifle:

7 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Far too slow tempo from us tonight aswell as far too much passing sideways and backwards 

A hallmark of most of our games this season 

28 minutes ago, wattie exploited said:

we haven't had a decent midfield player who can open up defenses for years now and our midfield is pretty rank 

really wish we could sign someone with a bit class to open up defences and help out our forwards who basically are getting starved of good quality balls to set up some chances :rifle:

Djoum Djoum Djoum, he came from Cameroon 🇨🇲....sadly missed in midfield imo and haven’t seen the like since. 

1 hour ago, vegas-voss said:

I hope Robbie doesn't think we deserved anything from that game.Get a grip Robbie and Hearts

As per your thread title:- Too much football snobbery these days for that mate.  It’s about possession, playing out from your box and not tackling. 

I fear there’s a wider problem in the game, it’s not just Hearts. Look at that tonight.  Footballers can’t do the key things now that relate to their position. 

Pass, pass, pass....safe football. Too much fear to lose the ball.  

Edited by Debut 4

Brighton Jambo

We don’t have the adrenaline the opposition have.  This is their cup final and we need to find a way to match that intensity as we will face it every week.

40 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Far too slow tempo from us tonight aswell as far too much passing sideways and backwards 

That’s the thing. Surely if the strategy is to draw teams out, you then have to have the spark and know-how when to get the ball forward into dangerous areas to breach the defence or at least into the last third?

Its always a pass too far with us knocking it around the back, it inevitably leads to a 50-50 ball longer into the strikers.  However, tonight it seemed more like lack of appetite, energy and self awareness from our players.

Not realising during the match what they needed to do to get a grip in the game. I do wonder about the type of characters we generally have. You hardly saw anyone at least get angry, noticeably lift their energy levels or try to rally their teammates.  All seems too nice. 

Tempo; pure and simple. To break teams down in this league, you need to move the ball quickly or it become easy for them to defend against. Hopefully, tonight is a wake up call. 

43 minutes ago, Saughton Jambo said:

Djoum Djoum Djoum, he came from Cameroon 🇨🇲....sadly missed in midfield imo and haven’t seen the like since. 

I agree. Not that he always turned it on, but that boy could play.

My concern from RNs interview post match, was that he appeared very accepting of the defeat. 'we are going to lose matches' - he appeared that he wasn't too bothered and we just 'didn't take our chances' .

For me, our set up isn't good e.g. Lee and Halliday not defensive/holding mids, Naismith not a creative tippy tappy playmaker and Wighton not best wide right. 

Not the end of the world last night but worrying signs if we carry on like it.