Liam Boyce

Lambo85

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

I think he is too similar to Naismith. 

I'm here. 

If a 451, only one of them plays. 

If 352 or 442 both up top can maybe work. 

• Replies 872
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gorgie Boot boy

• Bongo 1874

• Bazzas right boot

• Thomaso

WheatfieldWarrior
3 hours ago, davemclaren said:

I think he is too similar to Naismith. 

Too similar to Cole Stockton has been his problem lately.  Seems to have started the season slowly, needs to pick up the pace a bit.

6 hours ago, Whatever said:

And let’s replace him with????

Our best striker by an absolute distance.

Utterly clueless. 🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪

Agree. He started the game well with some nice link up play but tired out. Should be scoring his header but all in all needs more chances created than that over 90 mins. The shape of the team didn’t help him at all. Also just played 2 games in 3 days and probably shouldn’t have started. 

Boyce has missed a few chances but he's not the problem, it's the midfield.

Halliday and Lee were anonymous last night and in the wide areas, crosses were either going out the park or not getting past the first man.  Boyce was feeding off scraps.

6 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

Check out his career stats. Better than goal every three games. That’s right up there 

His stats are decent, but based on performances for us, I just don’t see a good striker.

19 minutes ago, colinzeal said:

His stats are decent, but based on performances for us, I just don’t see a good striker.

He's probably not good enough to carry the utter pish that Neilson surrendered him with last night that's for sure.

kingantti1874
1 hour ago, Finlay James said:

Halliday and Lee were anonymous last night and in the wide areas, crosses were either going out the park or not getting past the first man.  Boyce was feeding off scraps.

Sorry He is part of the problem, he didn’t want 9.. it’s clear why .. he wasn’t to play 10 but fact is he isn’t a very good 10.. he doesn’t have any pace and doesn’t drive forward.  

Naismith also wants to play 10 and he isn’t a 10 either. He is trying to be far too intricate.. he doesn’t have any pace and and can’t drive into space either

Midfield need movement in front of them.. if everyone is occupiying the same space, and none of them are making runs midfield will always look shite.  

30 minutes ago, Paul Shark said:

He's probably not good enough to carry the utter pish that Neilson surrendered him with last night that's for sure.

He could at least score a free header from 2 yards out though?

Missed a couple now so maybe third time lucky?! 🤔

I was pleased we signed him, but he has been mainly garbage for us.  And that is being kind. 

What is it with our strikers?   We either sign shite ones, or we sign good ones, but turn them shite.  

Edited by Paolo

2 hours ago, Mort said:

Agree. He started the game well with some nice link up play but tired out. Should be scoring his header but all in all needs more chances created than that over 90 mins. The shape of the team didn’t help him at all. Also just played 2 games in 3 days and probably shouldn’t have started. 

This

59 minutes ago, Lambo85 said:

He could at least score a free header from 2 yards out though?

Missed a couple now so maybe third time lucky?! 🤔

The header was very poor and I agree that he has missed quite a few chances that you would expect him to put away. Did you really expect Boyce to score 20+ goals in the league this season ? Totally unrealistic expectation, especially when you see what was around him last night. Haliday, Naismith and Walker were pish and Lee, Frear and Roberts are pish.

14 minutes ago, Paul Shark said:

The header was very poor and I agree that he has missed quite a few chances that you would expect him to put away. Did you really expect Boyce to score 20+ goals in the league this season ? Totally unrealistic expectation, especially when you see what was around him last night. Haliday, Naismith and Walker were pish and Lee, Frear and Roberts are pish.

I didn’t expect that after what I saw of him last season but it seems a lot of ex player pundits who are meant to know more a lot more about football than me did expect it.

”Too good for this league” and “he’ll score 20 plus goals this season” comments are so far looking very far from reality.

A_A wehatethehibs
18 minutes ago, Paul Shark said:

???? How is that unrealistic I would think 20 goals a perfectly realistic aim for Boyce, not if he keeps putting easy chances on goal softly into goalkeepers arms tho

Still waiting for the goals to start flooding in for Boyce, and by all accounts the chances he is missing are ones he usually tucks away, and tonight is the first time it has really cost us (although not convinced we would have got the draw if he scored the header).

I think he is a good player but at times shows a bit of composure to hold the ball off and then ruins it with a sloppy pass, and there is not much link up with him and Naismith. I think he should be given a bit of slack last night due to playing an international just 2 days before but if these performances continue over the next couple games then he needs to be taken out the team for a bit. 

A striker will score goal if he gets good service. Sadly he isn't getting it. We were hopeless in midfield and out wide last night resulting in 0 service to our strikers. He was dropping so deep to help out not where he should be. He's not been great but that's partly to do with the lack of service. Scary how bad we are without ginnely

8 minutes ago, Bainy said:

A striker will score goal if he gets good service. Sadly he isn't getting it. We were hopeless in midfield and out wide last night resulting in 0 service to our strikers. He was dropping so deep to help out not where he should be. He's not been great but that's partly to do with the lack of service. Scary how bad we are without ginnely

So how many chances does he need in a game then before he actually scores one considering he can’t even score a basic header that you’d expect a school boy to stick away? Not the first time this season he’s missed a header like that. 
So far he has only scored 1 goal from open play this season which is no where near good enough considering the league we are playing in and the fact that we only have 2 strikers on the books. 

He missed a sitter in the Dundee game but got out of jail as the shot hit a players hand when was well off target. Hope once he gets a run of games with no internationals until March and starts to score starting Tuesday!

2 hours ago, colinzeal said:

He, along with most of his team mates last night - had a shocker.

But there's no creativity in midfield and nothing coming in from the wings, which means Boyce has to drop back to the centre circle to get the ball. His clear frustration is leading to him snatching at chances IMO.

If we get decent delivery into him, I think he'll do alright for us.

kingantti1874
Just now, iainmac said:

He, along with most of his team mates last night - had a shocker.

But there's no creativity in midfield and nothing coming in from the wings, which means Boyce has to drop back to the centre circle to get the ball. His clear frustration is leading to him snatching at chances IMO.

If we get decent delivery into him, I think he'll do alright for us.

I actually think it’s the exact opposite, no one up front, or wide making runs making midfield look shit.. Boyce and Naismith are occupying the same space, 30 yards from goal trying to play intricate passes

2 hours ago, Paolo said:

I was pleased we signed him, but he has been mainly garbage for us.  And that is being kind. 

What is it with our strikers?   We either sign shite ones, or we sign good ones, but turn them shite.  

nail on the head

kingantti1874
2 minutes ago, hearts00 said:

There is increasingly an argument that we look out best when Wighton is right up top. 

unbelievably I agree. He doesn’t come deep and stretches the game

For me, Boyce hasn’t been good enough - agreed. But the shape of the team is absolutely dreadful. We don’t have a midfield that gets beyond him when he is playing his back to goal and as for the ‘wide’ players. 

just not convinced a 4-2-3-1 suits the players we had out last night or Boyce’s style.

I hate to say it - but square pegs in round holes.

14 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

I actually think it’s the exact opposite, no one up front, or wide making runs making midfield look shit.. Boyce and Naismith are occupying the same space, 30 yards from goal trying to play intricate passes

I agree about the width but we've lacked creativity in midfield for years. Lee is too slow, even at this level & the jury is still out on Halliday for me. Walker & Irving couldn't get in the starting X1 last night.

Naismith isn't a midfielder.

21 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

He missed a sitter in the Dundee game but got out of jail as the shot hit a players hand when was well off target. Hope once he gets a run of games with no internationals until March and starts to score starting Tuesday!

He missed an absolute sitter with a header against Inverness at Tynecastle as well.

kingantti1874
13 minutes ago, iainmac said:

I agree about the width but we've lacked creativity in midfield for years. Lee is too slow, even at this level & the jury is still out on Halliday for me. Walker & Irving couldn't get in the starting X1 last night.

agree, my point is though, in order to have creative midfielders you need to have movement in and around them.. we have none.. it’s all too static.. Luka Modric would look shite in our midfield 

18Jambo_dave74

I would totally agree with those making points about the quality of service, lack of pace and creativity not helping the situation.

However Boyce is still getting chances and is missing far too many. His hold up play (against Championship defenders) is not good enough either, you can see he is capable of holding it up well but is often very sloppy with his lay offs and it doesn’t help having Naismith standing on his toes either.

Guys like Frear, Roberts and Wighton are all average players but guys like Boyce and Naismith should be performing to a much higher standard then they are. 

Leveins Battalion

That was Boyces worst game last night by far.

However the service to him is poor,Wighton as a right winger just doesnt work and Frears delivery is awfull.

I’m currently at the point if we have a one on one with the opposition’s keeper I’d rather it was Wighton over Boyce and Naismith.

I don’t get the thinking behind the substitution last night , Boyce had just played on Wednesday, Naismith wasn’t at the races but instead of putting Wighton through the middle he was the one hooked ?🤷🏻‍♂️

48 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

However the service to him is poor,Wighton as a right winger just doesnt work and Frears delivery is awfull.

Wighton should be played as a striker. 

In this league we should have a minimum of 2 strikers up front, I'd even go for 3. 4-3-3 instead of a lone striker, it's just not working!

12 hours ago, Marty-man said:

Remember when proven goalscorer, Gary McSwegan, came to Hearts? We all thought "GREAT!! - someone to bang in the goals".

He turned out to be a nightmare.

I see Boyce, and I can't help being reminded of that nightmare.

Mcswegan was good!

5 hours ago, Finlay James said:

This 100%. The service to him (and not just last night) has been poor. He spends far too much time away from the oppositions box trying to win the ball.

5 hours ago, colinzeal said:

As a club we have a habit of ruining strikers and as a fanbase often turn on them quickly. I've seen enough of Boyce to think he will come good. Maybe needs a different type of striker up there with him but for me he's not the problem.

14 hours ago, BigAlim said:

Was poor tonight but think questioning his effort is unfair, was all over the pitch tonight trying to drag the team up the field whilst others strolled

That's the impression I got too.

3 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

???? How is that unrealistic I would think 20 goals a perfectly realistic aim for Boyce, not if he keeps putting easy chances on goal softly into goalkeepers arms tho

A starting line up containing Haliday, Lee, Wighton and Frear suggests that Liam Boyce is going to struggle to score 20+ goals. We can't afford a striker that scores a goal from every 1 or 2 chances created That's being totally unrealistic !! 

Without Haring and Ginnelly we look slow and laboured going forward. Boyce needs the ball in the box a lot quicker than we're getting it there now. If we create 5 or 6 chances every game for him, he might score. 

Problem is, once again Hearts have started a season short of strikers !!!

14 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

Your point was that he played and scored against Rangers on his debut without training with the team so something is wrong at Oriam. My point is that his transfer was only completed at 11pm night before the game. How could he have trained with them ? Do you wish that he hadn’t played? 

Whoosh!

3 hours ago, iainmac said:

Be better played up front

I think it's a mixture of a few things why Boyce isn't firing on all cylinders.

His fitness after his injury and lay-off time by covid, playing 48 hours earlier for N Ireland meaning he was knackered at the end of the game last night and finally the system Neilson tends to like playing. Very Levein-like. Boyce fitted in to Stendel's system well but is struggling with Neilson's, unsurprisingly to me. 

I still think Boyce will contribute quite a few goals to the team this season. He's just needing a break, a lucky in-off or sclaff. I don't think he'll contribute as many as he may have under Stendel due to system played but still enough to make a difference to the end of the season.

3 hours ago, Leveins Battalion said:

I watched Frear last night and thought Mulraney was still at the club. A few crosses going too far away from their target, or not near enough.

56 minutes ago, Paul Shark said:

A starting line up containing Haliday, Lee, Wighton and Frear suggests that Liam Boyce is going to struggle to score 20+ goals. We can't afford a striker that scores a goal from every 1 or 2 chances created That's being totally unrealistic !! 

Without Haring and Ginnelly we look slow and laboured going forward. Boyce needs the ball in the box a lot quicker than we're getting it there now. If we create 5 or 6 chances every game for him, he might score. 

Problem is, once again Hearts have started a season short of strikers !!!

The two problem areas for me that i hoped would be rectified at the start of the season was the need for a striker and a solid central defender. Certain individuals have posted replies to this point taking the mick thinking they're smart-arses but last night for me was exactly the problems i expected although hoped we'd get away with. We looked desperate for a striker as Naismith and Boyce were not up to scratch and Wighton was played out of position. This really showed as we tried to get forward with nothing being effective enough. Same with the defence, all over the place when Dunfermline were in and around our box. Popescu was as well not being there. That goal that was deflected into the net...amateurish at best. We need a dominant centre-half in the team. If we don't then there's a lot more of last night to come this season.

1 minute ago, Cruyff said:

Wighton is our best finisher.

Never thought I'd say those words but that is where we are at. 

said last night that he would have scored that Boyce chance mind you so would have anyone

Edited by Hearts007

jack D and coke
16 hours ago, Jamie Walker Tash said:

When good strikers come to Hearts they suddenly because dross. Been happening for years, can't be a coincidence.

Really is a strange one. We turn strikers shite.