Liam Boyce

Lambo85

1 minute ago, Debut 4 said:

Said a couple of weeks ago he’s good outside the box but looks short in it.

Snatches at shots or does the opposite and takes too long.  He’s got this habit of always wanting to do a dummy shot or turn first instead of instinctively taking a shot.  

I do agree with others though that he’s being asked to do too much outside the area. But is this symptomatic of the game these days or simply how we lack in other areas?

Midfielders who don’t run behind opponents, fullbacks who don’t get up the park, not much combination play between the midfield and wide players to let strikers get in the box more often....it’s pish.  

Have we actually improved since CL. As you rightly highlight it is the same issues. Nobody moves out of their area of the field so it becomes rigid and so easy for defences. Exactly like CL. 

• Replies 872
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gorgie Boot boy

• Bongo 1874

• Bazzas right boot

• Thomaso

29 minutes ago, gordiegords said:

He is here to score goals, he is on a massive wage, he is missing sitters pretty much every game,  he is failing badly.

Spot on

2 minutes ago, Hearts007 said:

and Chris Sutton said a number of weeks ago Boyce was to good for this division 🤐

And Billy Dodds with his 30 goals this season too.

wattie exploited
1 minute ago, WoolfordsHearts said:

How much money is he on?

1 minute ago, WoolfordsHearts said:

How much money is he on?

£6000 a week from what I heard :rifle:

Remember when proven goalscorer, Gary McSwegan, came to Hearts? We all thought "GREAT!! - someone to bang in the goals".

He turned out to be a nightmare.

I see Boyce, and I can't help being reminded of that nightmare.

2 minutes ago, David Black said:

Have we actually improved since CL. As you rightly highlight it is the same issues. Nobody moves out of their area of the field so it becomes rigid and so easy for defences. Exactly like CL. 

Well, I understand the opponents set-up can stunt the intended way you want to play, but then that comes down to the guts of the team to find a way via a tactical switch if the managers makes one.

What’s changed since the Dundee game in which it was so fluent, we were banging on about how great it was to see this change?

Thing is, if we cast our minds back to his first spell, Robbie did start to seize up on away trips. At home we were good but I can remember he went rigid eventually on our travels. Surely not already!?

1 minute ago, Marty-man said:

Remember when proven goalscorer, Gary McSwegan, came to Hearts? We all thought "GREAT!! - someone to bang in the goals".

How many did Mcswegan score early doors as a comparison?

WoolfordsHearts
3 minutes ago, wattie exploited said:

£6000 a week from what I heard :rifle:

Heard from who?

Couldn't be a boy in the pub as they're all shut.

5 goals in 13 games in a hearts shirt, sure he'll still manage 15 plus

Its the midfield and centre half's that need a word

34 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

Apart from his debut he has been poor! 

On Inside Hearts last Monday it was said he played against Rangers on his debut without having even trained with his teammates. 

A damning reflection on what goes on at Oriam. 

Henry. Henry.
3 minutes ago, Whatever said:

How many did Mcswegan score early doors as a comparison?

Think McSwegan took an age to get his first goal.   Was fairly regular after getting that 1st goal though I think.     Capped and scored for Scotland while with us 

The Apprentice

It’s early days but I’m surprised from all the threads started there is no mention of Naismith, who IMO is a real problem. Contributes nothing apart from point and shouting at folk. A lot of players nowhere near it and Boyce has missed some chances however the ‘service’ he gets is guff.

1 minute ago, Anderson5 said:

On Inside Hearts last Monday it was said he played against Rangers on his debut without having even trained with his teammates. 

He signed at 11pm the night before. Wasn’t aware we had training sessions during the night. 

Just now, The Apprentice said:

It’s early days but I’m surprised from all the threads started there is no mention of Naismith, who IMO is a real problem. Contributes nothing apart from point and shouting at folk. A lot of players nowhere near it and Boyce has missed some chances however the ‘service’ he gets is guff.

Agreed. Boyce needs someone up front with him. Naismith isn’t going to contribute in midfield anymore so why not stick the two of them up front. 

1 minute ago, soonbe110 said:

He signed at 11pm the night before. Wasn’t aware we had training sessions during the night. 

He must have been keen

We don’t. What’s your point?

3 minutes ago, Henry. Henry. said:

Think McSwegan took an age to get his first goal.   Was fairly regular after getting that 1st goal though I think.     Capped and scored for Scotland while with us 

So not really comparable.

WoolfordsHearts
6 minutes ago, Anderson5 said:

That damning, he scored the winner. 

🤪

We don’t. What’s your point?

Your point was that he played and scored against Rangers on his debut without training with the team so something is wrong at Oriam. My point is that his transfer was only completed at 11pm night before the game. How could he have trained with them ? Do you wish that he hadn’t played? 

wattie exploited
11 minutes ago, WoolfordsHearts said:

Heard from who?

Couldn't be a boy in the pub as they're all shut.

true lol :rifle:

15 minutes ago, Whatever said:

And let’s replace him with????

Our best striker by an absolute distance.

Utterly clueless. 🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪

We’ve only got 2 strikers to pick from and the other one is Wighton 

16 minutes ago, Whatever said:

And let’s replace him with????

Our best striker by an absolute distance.

Utterly clueless. 🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪

This. 

Your point was that he played and scored against Rangers on his debut without training with the team so something is wrong at Oriam. My point is that his transfer was only completed at 11pm night before the game. How could he have trained with them ? Do you wish that he hadn’t played? 

My point was in reply to a posters comment that he has been poor apart from his debut. 

I pointed out that his only good performance for us was therefor before we started coaching him. 

I don’t know what is so hard to understand about this. But appreciate everyone is different. 

57 minutes ago, The Establishment said:

Does Neilson have to take some of the blame on that one??

70 minutes on Wed night (where he scores!) and then gets the ferry back over Thursday lunchtime.

We have a boy brimming with confidence in Wighton, have to trust him.

That's a good point, though it didn't seem to affect Smith.

My point was in reply to a posters comment that he has been poor apart from his debut. 

I pointed out that his only good performance for us was therefor before we started coaching him. 

I don’t know what is so hard to understand about this. But appreciate everyone is different. 

Hadn’t seen you earlier post. I thought you were criticising playing him before he had trained with us , as did another poster.  Apologies.  

No more international football until March so no more travelling etc for Boyce, Smith and Gordon. Should be able to get training settled down now as Sept, Oct and Nov have all been disrupted by international activity. From comments made by many players international trips are not a lot of fun due to COVID regulations and bubbles. Hopefully we see marked improvement soon. 

12 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Agreed. Boyce needs someone up front with him. Naismith isn’t going to contribute in midfield anymore so why not stick the two of them up front. 

Short and to the point....agree, so why is Robbie reluctant to take that advice.  Let's face it he rung almost every other change tonight.

Hadn’t seen you earlier post. I thought you were criticising playing him before he had trained with us , as did another poster.  Apologies.  

No problem. And no need to apologise. Many other posters would have just continued to argue the point into the ground. :thumb:

Pasquale for King

Definitely needs a partner up front, I think a quick one though so he can exploit the space created. Misses far too many chances. Him and Naismith are similar players. 

1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

Definitely needs a partner up front, I think a quick one though so he can exploit the space created. Misses far too many chances. Him and Naismith are similar players. 

I think he is too similar to Naismith. 

Just doesn’t look like a finisher at all. Not been impressed with him in a single game for us yet. Never seems to strike the ball cleanly either. 

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I think he is too similar to Naismith. 

For two vastly experienced players they trod on each other’s toes far too often. Maybe Naismith wide left, Boyce just behind Wighton with Ginnelly wide right might work but who knows where we fit the different pieces in together 🤷🏾‍♂️

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, colinzeal said:

Just doesn’t look like a finisher at all. Not been impressed with him in a single game for us yet. Never seems to strike the ball cleanly either. 

His tackle finish on Wednesday for NI being the prime example, or his poor attempt at a header tonight. 

Boyce is playing 15 yards too deep.  This is compressing our whole side and robbing us of space all over the park.  He is making it easy for the opposition defenders as he always comes short and doesn't threaten to play on their shoulder.

He's been another massive disappointment.

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, Coco said:

Boyce is playing 15 yards too deep.  This is compressing our whole side and robbing us of space all over the park.  He is making it easy for the opposition defenders as he always comes short and doesn't threaten to play on their shoulder.

He's been another massive disappointment.

It’s strange that the manager hasn’t pointed it out to him to stay right up front. My nephew spotted it the first time he saw Boyce play for us last season. 

22 minutes ago, colinzeal said:

Check out his career stats. Better than goal every three games. That’s right up there 

Genuinely think we play Boyce and Naismith the wrong way round, we should let Boyce drop deep and link up with the midfield and Naismith should be staying in the box read to pounce

1 hour ago, Marty-man said:

Gary McSwegan was not a nightmare. 

1 hour ago, Marty-man said:

:what:

1 hour ago, Henry. Henry. said:

Gary mcswegan done ok for hearts, hat trick against dun united scored a few and against hibs too,wheres the pish take coming from? Unfair......

1 hour ago, Lonewolflins said:

Not a Hearts player , never will be . Look at the clubs he has played with , Ross County and Burton but some folk think he will be a legend . Utter

shite and should be dropped .

This in bundles....What pedigree does Boyce actually have? His CV is actually pretty pish. I could never quite get the clamour or the high expectation levels when he first arrived. To be fair, Aberdeen have dodged a bullet here.

20 goals a season......  Who's taking the pi$$.....Tell you what, whoever did the marketing job on Boyce is a genius.

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, The Apprentice said:

Nobody can tell them apart 

0CB5D160-A00E-4CE8-9251-4BEC07452BB6.jpeg

Pasquale for King
25 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

Genuinely think we play Boyce and Naismith the wrong way round, we should let Boyce drop deep and link up with the midfield and Naismith should be staying in the box read to pounce

That might well be the answer, worth trying. He was brilliant for Scotland in that role. 

1 hour ago, Debut 4 said:

Well, I understand the opponents set-up can stunt the intended way you want to play, but then that comes down to the guts of the team to find a way via a tactical switch if the managers makes one.

What’s changed since the Dundee game in which it was so fluent, we were banging on about how great it was to see this change?

Thing is, if we cast our minds back to his first spell, Robbie did start to seize up on away trips. At home we were good but I can remember he went rigid eventually on our travels. Surely not already!?

I wouldn't be having too much of a go at Robbie tonight.

IMO the 1st half just typified Hearts - looked fairly composed moving the ball around into wide areas and then ... nothing. Absolutely nothing from wide men who can't beat a player or cross the ball.  As for Naismith : utterly pointless apart from continually dropping back to the half way line just to get involved.

Too many bang average players (even for this division) mean we will not be beating teams playing great football or scoring loads of goals. This is going to be a slog. 

He is not a natural goal scorer

His header tonight, his one on one against Hibs and numerous chances in the league Cup show that.