Elliot Frear is pants

rory78

3 minutes ago, Coco said:

Managerless we re-signed Henderson and Moore.  Then Robbie signed Ginnelly, Roberts and Frear while binning Macdonald.  Some bizarre decisions in there

Agreed. Would actually start Macdonald, Moore and Henderson ahead of frear and roberts all day long. 

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nookie Bear

• A_A wehatethehibs

• HMFC 86

• merrymac

How Neilson gave this guy a contract is very worrying for the club going forward. 

The guy is utterly hopeless and his attempts at crossing a ball are completely embarrassing tbh. 

Bazzas right boot

He's done nothing of note so far, looks the poorest of the signings. 

Roberts was good v Dundee but honking v hibs, tonight he looked a bit lost in his cameo, like he doesn't have any awareness or positional sense. Reminds me of Clare in his early days. 

Ginnelly looks direct and quick but it's early days. 

2 hours ago, martoon said:

Invisible out on the left in the first half until the ball came to him. Frequently thought it was a misplaced pass until he took possession. 

Rarely seen a player hug the line with such dedication then do f-all with the ball when he gets it. 

Nail on the head.

Even when he got a cross in (which wasn't often) the delivery was poor. 

He is a terrible player in a squad of dross. 

Someone else mentioned Steven penny. I thought he was really poor but I have to agree this Frear is not even close enough to his paltry talents. 

Who decided he was good enough? 

With our budget we surely can get the best available talent for the championship. 

1 hour ago, Jambo61 said:

Nobody beats a man, nobody takes responsibility, nobody moves into space, nobody hits the bye line, nobody can cross, nobody passes forward or into space...........everybody stands beside an opposition player and looks for the safety 1st option at all times.

Not just Hearts, it is the modern game in Scotland.......pish and a borefest!

This ! 

I absolutely agree. 

A_A wehatethehibs
5 hours ago, rudeskaboyuk said:

Someone else mentioned Steven penny. I thought he was really poor but I have to agree this Frear is not even close enough to his paltry talents. 

Who decided he was good enough? 

With our budget we surely can get the best available talent for the championship. 

I'm not sure why folk are quite so seething at Frear, barking up the wrong tree a bit. The players who deserves the real pelters are Jamie Walker, Liam Boyce, and Steven Naismith who are probably on about 15k a week between the 3 of them and can't score against Dunfermline. Be lucky if Frear is on 500 quid a week. He is absolutely pish yes, but it's the senior players who are taking up majority of our budget not bargain basement signings like Frear

We would rather throw money blindly at players who are average at best than actually try and develop the talent we have. 

I genuinely do not see why we bother with an academy because everyone we bring through stagnates and dies away the moment they reach the first team. 

A_A wehatethehibs
5 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

We would rather throw money blindly at players who are average at best than actually try and develop the talent we have. 

I genuinely do not see why we bother with an academy because everyone we bring through stagnates and dies away the moment they reach the first team. 

That's what happens with 99% of academy players at big clubs not just Hearts. The standards are extremely high in terms of the expectation to win games. Young players mostly crack under the pressure. 

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

3 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

That's what happens with 99% of academy players at big clubs not just Hearts. The standards are extremely high in terms of the expectation to win games. Young players mostly crack under the pressure. 

So why have one? Serious question. 

Just him at and sign players when they are 17 to play in the youth teams. 

The money we've threw at players since admin for the return we get is embarrassing. Not just Frear but most of that team are shite, Smith, Gordon & probably Kingsley aside.

A_A wehatethehibs
Just now, Nookie Bear said:

So why have one? Serious question. 

Just him at and sign players when they are 17 to play in the youth teams. 

Because if we didn't have one, that gives Hibs first pick of all the best kids in south east Scotland? The occasional Hickey or Paterson or Wallace, Berra, Gordon that comes through pays the bills and gets you a cash injection. There's a case for signing kids later or earlier age groups... ultimately we do both. 

3 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Because if we didn't have one, that gives Hibs first pick of all the best kids in south east Scotland? The occasional Hickey or Paterson or Wallace, Berra, Gordon that comes through pays the bills and gets you a cash injection. There's a case for signing kids later or earlier age groups... ultimately we do both. 

Seems to me we would be better off cherry picking young players from other teams. Let them do the academy side of things and we can have them when they reach 17/18. 

10 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Was he any good at Motherwell?

A bit part player who was mainly used to come off the bench against tired legs.

Unfortunately, it was our legs that looked tired last night.

3 minutes ago, iainmac said:

A bit part player who was mainly used to come off the bench against tired legs.

Unfortunately, it was our legs that looked tired last night.

Frear is in the Archie White category. Shouldn't be anywhere near Tynecastle. 

44 minutes ago, MarkDevriesScores4 said:

Frear getting grief when Naismith was worse. This place is an embarrassment sometimes. 

Naismith was atrocious last night. Absolutely atrocious. For an intelligent footballer who has played at the highest level, that shambolic attempt at a square pass when through on goal has got to be one of the worst pieces of play I’ve ever seen from Naismith. Playing for Rangers or Everton he wouldn’t have even considered passing that and just fired it into the bottom corner. Sad times.

However that still doesn’t take away from the fact that Frear was an absolute rotten signing, one which I couldn’t understand at the time and I certainly do not understand now. Crap for Motherwell but let’s bring him here. Madness.

5 minutes ago, Boris5115 said:

Frear is in the Archie White category. Shouldn't be anywhere near Tynecastle. 

Now there is a blast from the past.

And not in a good way either!

Elliot Frear is Archie White. 😉

2 minutes ago, iainmac said:

Now there is a blast from the past.

And not in a good way either!

Elliot Frear is Archie White. 😉

My first full season of going to the games. I wondered what my Dad was getting me into at the time lol. Fortunately Paul O'brien was slightly better. 

Nelly Terraces
10 hours ago, Jambo92 said:

Add Roberts onto that list too. 8 games and yet to see anything from either. Makes our decision to flog Antony Mcdonald look strange

I found the decision to get rid of McDonald surprising as every time he played for us he looked the part, skilful & actually played with the ball at feet with his head up which most Scottish players are unable to do, good off the ball movement & he was quite strong as well, I thought he looked a better prospect than Cochrane. 

He was certainly much better than either Roberts or Frear that’s for sure.

Just seen Frear is 30. Have to admit I assumed he was relatively young and just hadn’t made it at Motherwell. 

If he’s at the tail end of his career he is probably picking up a half decent wage. What the hell were we thinking?

15 hours ago, MarkDevriesScores4 said:

Frear getting grief when Naismith was worse. This place is an embarrassment sometimes. 

We are not talking about one game here - Frear has been rank rotten in every game he as played for Hearts, you cannot say that about Naismith!

Edited by Thomaso

15 hours ago, Bull's-eye said:

This place is worse than .net.

So they think Frear isn’t pants? 🤔

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, everton_jambo said:

Just seen Frear is 30. Have to admit I assumed he was relatively young and just hadn’t made it at Motherwell. 

If he’s at the tail end of his career he is probably picking up a half decent wage. What the hell were we thinking?

I looked that up last night and was shocked, he looks every bit a scared wee laddie. 
Neilson certainly reliant on more experienced players as opposed to giving young guys a chance. 

On 20/11/2020 at 20:56, rory78 said:

Not good enough seen him a few times clearly gash

Brutal player,where do they get them,over to you robbie.

On 21/11/2020 at 08:13, Nookie Bear said:

i think this is key to our current situation. Our recruitment over the last few years has been criticised, which is correct it has been really poor, but since the young players from the last championship season came through (Paterson, Walker, Nicholson, etc) how many young players have come through, kept a first team place and developed? Only one is Hickey, which when we consider the level of investment in the academy, is massive underachievement.

We have had a lot of young players make their debuts, Levein gave debuts to about 6-7 of them in his first season, but none of them have developed since then. Players like Cochrane and MacDonald looked good at the start, there have been a few others, but development and opportunities reduced from there.

So many of our young players are sent out on loan for season after season. I agree with this in part, to gain experience of first team football, but surely the young players need to be with us for some of their time so we can coach them and to get opportunities when there a injuries in the first team.

As I mentioned poor recruitment is contributing to our situation, but recruitment should go hand in hand with developing our own players. That way you recruit sparingly and slot in recruits to improve the quality. Unfortunately this is not happening and has not over the last few years.

10 hours ago, everton_jambo said:

just another in the long list of giving crap footballers a wage and contract at the Tynecastle retirement centre

Frear actually looked like the only player willing to take someone on and get a cross into the box. He started well in the second half and was hooked for us to revert to no width. We then ended up using Halliday for width Friday night was a farce and the blame lies at Neilson door. Frear cross for Popescu to hit the bar was superb. So in summary I don’t think he was the worst player by a long shot. 

I would have Moore over him and Roberts though and again that is down to Neilson. 

1 hour ago, HMFC 86 said:

i think this is key to our current situation. Our recruitment over the last few years has been criticised, which is correct it has been really poor, but since the young players from the last championship season came through (Paterson, Walker, Nicholson, etc) how many young players have come through, kept a first team place and developed? Only one is Hickey, which when we consider the level of investment in the academy, is massive underachievement.

We have had a lot of young players make their debuts, Levein gave debuts to about 6-7 of them in his first season, but none of them have developed since then. Players like Cochrane and MacDonald looked good at the start, there have been a few others, but development and opportunities reduced from there.

So many of our young players are sent out on loan for season after season. I agree with this in part, to gain experience of first team football, but surely the young players need to be with us for some of their time so we can coach them and to get opportunities when there a injuries in the first team.

As I mentioned poor recruitment is contributing to our situation, but recruitment should go hand in hand with developing our own players. That way you recruit sparingly and slot in recruits to improve the quality. Unfortunately this is not happening and has not over the last few years.

Petkov

Cochrane

Baur

Keena

McDonald

Irving

Godinho

C Hamilton

Logan

C Smith

Makovora

All these guys made their debut in 2017-18 and only Irving is around the 1st team now. 

The following academy graduates all made a number of appearances that season:

Moore

Brandon

Henderson

J Hamilton

Currie

Zanatta

Beith

Three are still around but none of them appear in the managers plans. 

So that’s 18 academy players used 3 seasons ago and only one (Irving) is involved on match day. 

Beggars belief that so much talent could be allowed to drift away. 

6 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

Petkov

Cochrane

Baur

Keena

McDonald

Irving

Godinho

C Hamilton

Logan

C Smith

Makovora

All these guys made their debut in 2017-18 and only Irving is around the 1st team now. 

The following academy graduates all made a number of appearances that season:

Moore

Brandon

Henderson

J Hamilton

Currie

Zanatta

Beith

Three are still around but none of them appear in the managers plans. 

So that’s 18 academy players used 3 seasons ago and only one (Irving) is involved on match day. 

Beggars belief that so much talent could be allowed to drift away. 

It’s a damming indictment of the academy, but also Levein, and his mismanagement of the footballing side of the club.

Салатные палочки
2 hours ago, Ernie Eskilsson said:

Steady...

He looks just as scared. Like a rabbit caught in headlights. 

8 hours ago, Rods said:

Frear actually looked like the only player willing to take someone on and get a cross into the box. He started well in the second half and was hooked for us to revert to no width. We then ended up using Halliday for width Friday night was a farce and the blame lies at Neilson door. Frear cross for Popescu to hit the bar was superb. So in summary I don’t think he was the worst player by a long shot. 

I would have Moore over him and Roberts though and again that is down to Neilson. 

Agree. He really wasn't as bad as is being made out, and did a lot more than Wighton on the other flank (in fairness to Wighton, he's not a winger). His confidence is low, and some of his crosses were very poor, but he clearly has pace, which is something we lack generally. if he can get onto a decent run of form, get some confidence back, he could turn out to be a useful player for us.

1 hour ago, tynewater said:

Agree. He really wasn't as bad as is being made out, and did a lot more than Wighton on the other flank (in fairness to Wighton, he's not a winger). His confidence is low, and some of his crosses were very poor, but he clearly has pace, which is something we lack generally. if he can get onto a decent run of form, get some confidence back, he could turn out to be a useful player for us.

ssshhh don’t let the truth get in the way of the witch hunt. 

alwaysthereinspirit
On 21/11/2020 at 03:28, MarkDevriesScores4 said:

Naismith was terrible Friday. Actually he was $#!te. He has a history though as a footballer. Changed the semi when he came on.

I’ll be shocked if Frear ever changes a game other than in the negative for Hearts this season. He has looked totally lost every time he’s been on the field.

I hope he proves me wrong.

The attributes for a winger is to have speed and an ability to beat the FB and be able to cross the ball.

Gifts that should not be difficult to spot in a promo video.  What sold Frear to Neilson, was it his past form at Motherwell?

1 hour ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

Naismith was terrible Friday. Actually he was $#!te. He has a history though as a footballer. Changed the semi when he came on.

I’ll be shocked if Frear ever changes a game other than in the negative for Hearts this season. He has looked totally lost every time he’s been on the field.

I hope he proves me wrong.

IMO Naismith and Boyce need to be rotated. Trying to shoe horn Naismith in as some sort of deep lying link up player is a waste of his talent. 

I'm clueless why we signed Frear, utter dog shit.

We really need to be less wasteful with our money in the transfer window. Seems like we constantly have multiple wastes on our books. 

Robbie needs to change the manager's phone number, so he doesn't get the same calls Levein got from Agents that can hypnotise gullible Managers into buying the utter dross, they have on their books.

They've all got our number.

alwaysthereinspirit
10 minutes ago, OTT said:

IMO Naismith and Boyce need to be rotated. Trying to shoe horn Naismith in as some sort of deep lying link up player is a waste of his talent. 

I'm clueless why we signed Frear, utter dog shit.

We really need to be less wasteful with our money in the transfer window. Seems like we constantly have multiple wastes on our books. 

One fans waster is another fans star.

On the Friday players rating thread Halkett was seen as one of the worst and one of the best of the night.

Frear won’t ever have that kind of split vote I’d imagine.

On 21/11/2020 at 09:52, Nelly Terraces said:

I found the decision to get rid of McDonald surprising as every time he played for us he looked the part, skilful & actually played with the ball at feet with his head up which most Scottish players are unable to do, good off the ball movement & he was quite strong as well, I thought he looked a better prospect than Cochrane. 

He was certainly much better than either Roberts or Frear that’s for sure.

Absolutely. Okay McDonald May not have the pace of Roberts or Frear but in what world is he not a more talented player?

Annoys me, we recruits these imposters and let youth products go that are easily as good.