***Official Dunfermline Athletic v Heart of Midlothian match thread ***

BelgeJambo

As with every game in this league, a competent Hearts performance will take 3 points, and a good one will see us win comfortably.  

We've saved our best stuff so far for the bigger games so hopefully that continues

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Pasquale for King

• Greedy Jambo

• Thomaso

Goes without saying that away games are hard and we’ve not been overly convincing performance wise, but we have still came away with a result. 

I think there’s something to be said in that. You ask your players to stay solid and put the work in even when you aren’t playing the way you’d like to. In recent seasons we’ve not had that trait.

We never had the toughness or calm to keep plugging away until we overcame the opponents. It’s something in years past you associated Hearts teams with.  Hopefully there are signs we are regaining that attribute because you need it when games aren’t seemingly working out the way you want.

0-2 JTs

1 hour ago, David Black said:

Henderson will become a cracking player, he has strength, pace and can see a pass, all that he needs is a couple of goals and his confidence will rise. That is all that is lacking. Also he is only 19.

I hope you're right...

3 hours ago, Saughton Jambo said:

We need to play our most experienced team every week so that we are ready for the SC final. Haring, Naismith lee and Halliday should all be starting so they get game time and precious minutes under their belts. I’m sure that’ll be Robbie’s focus just now but he won’t publicly say this.

The young and inexperienced will only be bit part players for the next four weeks imo and will only come on If there is a risk to our strongest 11. 

This is where I am

you always start with your best XI at the start of a game

This season we are looking to win every week 

I have no problem with playing young players if they are the best option available 

If Hearts are winning every week I have absolutely no problem if we are playing a team of 35 year olds, the team winning football match’s is all that matters 

If the young players are good enough you won’t be able to keep them out the side.

Kidd’s Boots

Three things we need to get right for the victory IMO.

Width

A lung busting performance from however plays wide

and service from them 

Injuries, inconsistency and quality have been lacking since the start of the campaign in this area, we can all see it and RN needs to address that.

We have proven we can grind out victories, time to start play our game again please.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Jamie Walker Tash said:

Yeah I'd say so, hibs are shite.

Hibs are shite, but dunfermline are more shite imo. 

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, Kidd’s Boots said:

Width

and service from them 

Injuries, inconsistency and quality have been lacking since the start of the campaign in this area, we can all see it and RN needs to address that.

We have proven we can grind out victories, time to start play our game again please.

Inconsistency and quality are an issue.... 

8 victories 

Lc- next round 

Sc- final. 

:notsure:

2 hours ago, David Black said:

Henderson will become a cracking player, he has strength, pace and can see a pass, all that he needs is a couple of goals and his confidence will rise. That is all that is lacking. Also he is only 19.

I really hope you are correct however if Henderson makes it in top flight Scottish Football I will be totally amazed.

Kidd’s Boots
10 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Inconsistency and quality are an issue.... 

8 victories 

Lc- next round 

Sc- final. 

:notsure:

‘... in that area’ is the full quote and context of the statement.

‘Not sure if read far enough’

6 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

I really hope you are correct however if Henderson makes it in top flight Scottish Football I will be totally amazed.

He’s not. Glenn, Oliver, Robinson etc were all better and made a bigger impact in the time they were there. 

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, Kidd’s Boots said:

‘... in that area’ is the full quote and context of the statement.

‘Not sure if read far enough’

Winning games and grinding out results shows quality tho..... 

If you think quality is only winning games by large margins then I dunno what to tell you!

Kidd’s Boots
9 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Winning games and grinding out results shows quality tho..... 

If you think quality is only winning games by large margins then I dunno what to tell you!

Winning ugly shows a different kind of quality, resilience, patience and belief I agree, one which has been lacking in the past. 

I have witnessed many games of quality where a 1-0 loss or win has been the result, or even a draw, so no that’s not what I think quality is. 

Edited by Kidd’s Boots

My worry is a midfield performance like at Arbroath. You need to battle for control and earn the right to play. Some of our players did not fancy it. This a huge game and must be treated that way.

Ex member of the SaS

Winning when playing badly is a sign of a good team. However we as fans also want to be entertained and at the risk of sounding Hibs like, I would say with some flair. Unlike Hibs however I won't accept flair over wins. Winning should always be the priority.

Hearts have by far the best squad in the Championship.  A win tonight.  Not worth betting against.

Anyone expecting anything other than a really tough game tonight is being totally unrealistic.

Dunfermline are a decent side who are not going to sit in and let us have the ball. We will have be at our best tonight if we want to win this comfortably

4 minutes ago, Lambo85 said:

Anyone expecting anything other than a really tough game tonight is being totally unrealistic.

Dunfermline are a decent side who are not going to sit in and let us have the ball. We will have be at our best tonight if we want to win this comfortably

Agreed they have spent the Nisbett money well.

3 hours ago, David Black said:

Won’t make it at Hearts in my opinion. 

43 minutes ago, Lambo85 said:

Mate who has seen all of dunfermlines games on pars tv says they’ve been shite for long spells in most games. 

1 hour ago, Kidd’s Boots said:

Width

and service from them 

You cant blame Neilson for injuries, and he's addressed the width issue, unfortunately the main man has been out for a few games. One thing the signings told us is he wants pace and width in the side so I'd suggest he knows where the issues are. In terms of consistency unfortunately wingers are very rarely that but at least we have options now.

Quailty is relevant we're a Scottish championship team, so I'd say we have as much quality as we're likely to see this season.

I really like having the Friday night games. Great way to spend a Friday with a cargo watching us skelp teams.

We've done well without really hitting good form, so I can't wait for it all to click and see how we look then. I think we need to improve with the cup final on the horizon - defo need better form to have a chance in that game.

Confident of a win tonight. 1-0 or 5-0, not really bothered. Just get the points on the board.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Kidd’s Boots said:

Winning ugly shows a different kind of quality, resilience, patience and belief I agree, one which has been lacking in the past. 

I have witnessed many games of quality where a 1-0 loss or win has been the result, or even a draw, so no that’s not what I think quality is. 

Fair doos. 

Winning games consistently is quality in my opinion. 

8 wins in a row is just that imo, some folk obviously want more than that or don't see that as quality. 

I dunno where to go with that train of thought, but each to their own. 

Bazzas right boot
59 minutes ago, Lambo85 said:

We'll need to give 100% and be on it, but let's not over hype Dunfermline. 

In football you generally need to give 100%.

Man for man we are better in every position. 

It could be tight, but we could easily hammer them. 

Carl Fredrickson

I fancy us to win 3-1. They will not sit in which will be to our advantage. I am not normally an optimist but fancy us to win by a couple. 

It'll be a tough game - folk expecting us to roll Dunfermline over will likely be disappointed. However, we need to lay a marker down and winning here is the way to do that. If Dunfermline win who knows what that will do for their confidence? 

I'd take a scrappy 1-0 win and move on. 

If Dunfermline come out and try to score, then it should give our players the space to exploit. create more chances and score a few - a la Dundee & Hibs this season. Even the same with Hibs and The rangers under Stendel.

If Dunfermline play it cagey and sit back, then a turgid, uninspiring 1-0 win to us wouldn't be a surprise.

Cue the cries of "when are we going to score 5 or 6 against these teams"......

(but we keep winning......and scored six against dundee). etc etc

Pasquale for King
20 hours ago, Daz_1874_HMFC said:

Interesting to hear Robbie say Smith was back already but Boyce was on a Ferry? Would of thought they would travel together 

Yeah I saw, maybe doesn’t fly. 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, TypoonJambo said:

Agreed they have spent the Nisbett money well.

They also got rid of 17 players I think so had a bit of a clean slate to start again. 

Kidd’s Boots
48 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

You cant blame Neilson for injuries, and he's addressed the width issue, unfortunately the main man has been out for a few games. One thing the signings told us is he wants pace and width in the side so I'd suggest he knows where the issues are. In terms of consistency unfortunately wingers are very rarely that but at least we have options now.

Quailty is relevant we're a Scottish championship team, so I'd say we have as much quality as we're likely to see this season.

Agree that RN nor anyone else can control injuries and I didn’t direct blame his way on that. He has made a statement with his signings, and the  rest is exactly the point I make. He wants us to play with width and pace, and arguably has brought in enough quality to do that. They need to be up to it when their chance comes, and I include Walker and Naismith in that statement when they are asked to fill the wider role and not drift as they see fit. We have 3 current and 2 former Internationalists who will more than likely feature tonight, there is more than enough quality to play the system RN wants us to play. 

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, Kidd’s Boots said:

Agree that RN nor anyone else can control injuries and I didn’t direct blame his way on that. He has made a statement with his signings, and the  rest is exactly the point I make. He wants us to play with width and pace, and arguably has brought in enough quality to do that. They need to be up to it when their chance comes, and I include Walker and Naismith in that statement when they are asked to fill the wider role and not drift as they see fit. We have 3 current and 2 former Internationalists who will more than likely feature tonight, there is more than enough quality to play the system RN wants us to play. 

You can prevent injuries though, playing guys who are not fully fit or struggling with an injury can make it worse. If Smith or Boyce break down tonight that will be Neilsons fault, an hour for both would probably be for the best. 

1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

You can prevent injuries though, playing guys who are not fully fit or struggling with an injury can make it worse. If Smith or Boyce break down tonight that will be Neilsons fault, an hour for both would probably be for the best. 

Are Smith and Boyce not fully fit or carrying injuries?

Салатные палочки

Would take a 1-0 but would like to see us win comfortable.  Even 2-0 would be enjoyable. As long as we're not watching it through our fingers at the end like Arbroath and East Fife. 

Салатные палочки
11 minutes ago, Boris said:

Boyce had some ice on his knee the other night apparently but has told Robbie it's not serious. 

Pasquale for King
25 minutes ago, Boris said:

Two games in two days is difficult for any player, four in ten days. 
Smith is but has had loads of small injuries in his Hearts career, he regularly gets cramp according to Berra who mentioned when he on the bench last season. 
Boyce doesn’t appear to back up to full speed and he was taken off with an injury that needed an ice pack and then travelled back the long way by ferry. 
Nor ideal preparation but I’m sure they’ll be fine. 

E4553D47-7B1B-4129-8845-8F7219BE001E.jpeg

Edited by Pasquale for King

3 hours ago, chester copperpot said:

Easy victory this evening. Let's put these backward banjo playing *******s to the sword. 

To be fair to them, it's a tricky skill to master...   :whistling:

Volume 2, Page 131, Picture 9, Smith on the banjo with his legs... News  Photo - Getty Images

3 hours ago, wavydavy said:

So would I tbh

Don't see anything special there at all.

1 hour ago, Salad Fingers said:

Boyce had some ice on his knee the other night apparently but has told Robbie it's not serious. 

So Neilson has to take the player's word. Tough one. Play him, showing trust, rest him, not.

1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

Two games in two days is difficult for any player, four in ten days. 
Smith is but has had loads of small injuries in his Hearts career, he regularly gets cramp according to Berra who mentioned when he on the bench last season. 
Boyce doesn’t appear to back up to full speed and he was taken off with an injury that needed an ice pack and then travelled back the long way by ferry. 
Nor ideal preparation but I’m sure they’ll be fine. 

E4553D47-7B1B-4129-8845-8F7219BE001E.jpeg

I'm sure they will be. Got to trust the manager, the physio etc and most of all how the player feels.

I just think saying things like if they break down its Neilsons fault is a tad melodramatic.

They're both very important players for us and I'm sure that's not lost on the management. Have a bit of faith, I guess is what I'm saying.

4 hours ago, chester copperpot said:

Easy victory this evening. Let's put these backward banjo playing *******s to the sword. 

Should be

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, Boris said:

So Neilson has to take the player's word. Tough one. Play him, showing trust, rest him, not.

I'm sure they will be. Got to trust the manager, the physio etc and most of all how the player feels.

I just think saying things like if they break down its Neilsons fault is a tad melodramatic.

They're both very important players for us and I'm sure that's not lost on the management. Have a bit of faith, I guess is what I'm saying.

I do have faith but the blame if anyone wants to hand it out will be on him, he will accept it too. Let’s hope it’s all good.