Are we Heart of Midlothian or Edinburgh??

rubyruby

1 hour ago, Auldbenches said:

I might be wrong, but I thought I'd read that the dancehall was in west crosscausway.   Or was that where our first offices were?   

Mother Aitken’s pub which we used as changing rooms iirc. Get on the tour, once you’ve had the vaccine. 🤪

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• davemclaren

• graygo

• Francis Albert

• EIEIO

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We learn much from the writings of George Robertson who first watched Hearts in 1878 and eventually became the club secretary; a director; and first historian. George documented the early years and his lecture notes are now held in the club’s archive. He was certainly close to the original players, Robertson’s parents living in Washing Green Court, situated off the South Back Canongate (now Holyrood Road) at its junction with Dumbiedykes Road. This was the site of the neighbourhood refreshment rooms that catered for all-manner of functions and activities, including the Heart of Midlothian Quadrille Assembly.

On 4 March 1889, when most of the original players were still around, The Edinburgh Evening News also recalled the club’s formation: “ The Hearts had a curious inauguration, for in 1875, they had their origin from the Heart of Mid-Lothian Quadrille Assembly Club. The members of this dancing party one evening adjourned to the Meadows, got the loan of a ball from a cricketer named Howie, and played until the ball burst. Their vigorous enthusiasm did not stay here, as Mr. James Reid discovered that he had sufficient to buy a new ball.”

https://www.bing.com/maps?q=dumbiedykes+road+edinburgh&form=ANNTH1&refig=d272a88cfb9749f2ce1e591e0d9401f8&sp=3&qs=AS&pq=dumbiedykes+road&sk=AS2&sc=4-16&cvid=f2c749bd13094f3d89dfabd0e09d6cde

43 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

We learn much from the writings of George Robertson who first watched Hearts in 1878 and eventually became the club secretary; a director; and first historian. George documented the early years and his lecture notes are now held in the club’s archive. He was certainly close to the original players, Robertson’s parents living in Washing Green Court, situated off the South Back Canongate (now Holyrood Road) at its junction with Dumbiedykes Road. This was the site of the neighbourhood refreshment rooms that catered for all-manner of functions and activities, including the Heart of Midlothian Quadrille Assembly.

On 4 March 1889, when most of the original players were still around, The Edinburgh Evening News also recalled the club’s formation: “ The Hearts had a curious inauguration, for in 1875, they had their origin from the Heart of Mid-Lothian Quadrille Assembly Club. The members of this dancing party one evening adjourned to the Meadows, got the loan of a ball from a cricketer named Howie, and played until the ball burst. Their vigorous enthusiasm did not stay here, as Mr. James Reid discovered that he had sufficient to buy a new ball.”

https://www.bing.com/maps?q=dumbiedykes+road+edinburgh&form=ANNTH1&refig=d272a88cfb9749f2ce1e591e0d9401f8&sp=3&qs=AS&pq=dumbiedykes+road&sk=AS2&sc=4-16&cvid=f2c749bd13094f3d89dfabd0e09d6cde

1875. 😵

48 minutes ago, sassenach said:

Personally I have little idea about Scottish boundaries, but my own feeling is that we should recognise historic boundaries rather than transient local government boundaries.

Where I live has been in the North Riding of Yorkshire since the year 875. County councils were established in the 19th century, but this didn't create the counties as they already existed. By the same token, subsequently changing local authority boundaries did not and does not change county boundaries.

For much of my life I've had misguided people telling me I live in Cleveland, Langbaurgh and now Redcar & Cleveland. These people were wrong; administrative units are not places in the same way as counties are, and the Yorkshire Ridings remain unchanged in perpetuity.

I'm not sure whether there is the same loyalty towards Scottish boundaries, but telling a Yorkshireman that he isn't a Yorkshireman will often draw a violent reaction.

Does this mean Berwick is really still Scottish? 🤔😉

21 hours ago, indianajones said:

Seen a Hibs badge in Kincardine O'Neil today. 

WTF?

There is a wee PT up here who i actually get on well with shes a massive hobo. Said shed never heard the term hobo before whilst also telling me that Marvin Bartley was an amazing player. She stops short of any natural order comments as her dad has explained to her since childhood we dominate them and have for all his life , her grandparents lives etc . 👌🏻🤣

20 hours ago, Dunks said:

No - the 2006 change was ownership, but not from the club :thumbsup:

👍🏻 Cheers Dunks

6 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Mother Aitken’s pub which we used as changing rooms iirc. Get on the tour, once you’ve had the vaccine. 🤪

I’m sure this place is now what is called the Greenmantle?   From what I read, the players used to change above the pub and walk along West Crosscauseway towards the Meadows to play. 

To think our first official playing ground was even further away at Saville Terrace thereafter!  Pretty historic area for Hearts, sometimes forgotten about.

Im working in the area just now (Southside) and pass Saville Terrace on the way home. I often wonder if the area itself still has a lot of football interest and the legacy lives on? Comes across as student/middle class dominated(Saville area).

PS, Was it not called Mother Andersons?

Edited by Debut 4

Craig Herbertson
3 hours ago, sassenach said:

Personally I have little idea about Scottish boundaries, but my own feeling is that we should recognise historic boundaries rather than transient local government boundaries.

Where I live has been in the North Riding of Yorkshire since the year 875. County councils were established in the 19th century, but this didn't create the counties as they already existed. By the same token, subsequently changing local authority boundaries did not and does not change county boundaries.

For much of my life I've had misguided people telling me I live in Cleveland, Langbaurgh and now Redcar & Cleveland. These people were wrong; administrative units are not places in the same way as counties are, and the Yorkshire Ridings remain unchanged in perpetuity.

I'm not sure whether there is the same loyalty towards Scottish boundaries, but telling a Yorkshireman that he isn't a Yorkshireman will often draw a violent reaction.

I used to play a lot of sessions in Ashton Under Lyne. Had to be very careful not to assume it was in greater Manchester as that set off a huge, largely unintelligible, arguments about Lancashire and Yorkshire boundaries. It was like listening to sections of Shakespeare with thou's and thee's and reet gradley mixed in with threats to bite your nose off.

22 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

I’m sure this place is now what is called the Greenmantle?   From what I read, the players used to change above the pub and walk along West Crosscauseway towards the Meadows to play. 

To think our first official playing ground was even further away at Saville Terrace thereafter!  Pretty historic area for Hearts, sometimes forgotten about.

Im working in the area just now (Southside) and pass Saville Terrace on the way home. I often wonder if the area itself still has a lot of football interest and the legacy lives on? Comes across as student/middle class dominated(Saville area).

PS, Was it not called Mother Andersons?

I think you are right. 

8 hours ago, sassenach said:

I wasn't going to comment on this after getting a wee nudge from @davemclaren that it should be in the shed but I remember when they changed the boundaries in 1975 and us Danderchoochters were worried that we would become part of Edinburgh. They drew the boundary line right up the middle of the old A68 and then down the Wisp saving us from being forever labeled as "Toonies"

Edited by graygo

Craig Herbertson
On 21/11/2020 at 00:01, graygo said:

That was certainly the case before deregulation.

That's a good shout. Always get that heading to banjo country in a green bus.

The Real Maroonblood
On 19/11/2020 at 08:51, Debut 4 said:

Midlothian Council offices were in Edinburgh because the city was part of the county.  What is now commonly known to people as Midlothian(Dalkeith, Bonnyrigg..etc) used to be called Edinburghshire

Where they on George vi Bridge?

On 19/11/2020 at 16:51, davemclaren said:

Plus I’d miss the Hearts song. 

“Heart of Midlothian, Heart of Midlothian, glorious Heart of Midlothian, it’s down at Tynecastle they........”

Nah doesn’t work!

john brownlee
On 20/11/2020 at 01:05, Hashimoto said:

Correct!....Always thought jambo was some form of Swahili greeting...!

Never liked the term. In my earlier days the Hearts were known as the Jam Tart's...not this jambo nonsense.

Certainly was wen I lived in Kenya.

Jambo biby, was good morning girl. and boy we're they lovely girls.

On 20/11/2020 at 15:27, sassenach said:

telling a Yorkshireman that he isn't a Yorkshireman will often draw a violent reaction.

I spoke to a Yorkshireman on holiday once and he was adamant he wasn't English, although he was born in Yorkshire and had lived all his life in Yorkshire, and all his family were the same, he wasn't English. "I'm a Yorkshireman!".

Is that the norm down there or was he just a loon?