Are we Heart of Midlothian or Edinburgh??

rubyruby

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• davemclaren

• graygo

• scott herbertson

• EIEIO

3 minutes ago, Anything2 said:

Post codes are more aligned to the sorting office that the mail goes through than any county boundary. 

They were drawn up in late sixties/early seventies prior to local govt reorganisation and based on the boundaries at that time. Anyway I known too much about postcodes which is kind of sad.

Nottingham Forest's stadium The City Ground is not in the city but West Bridgford, Nottinghamshire

although 

Notts County's stadium Meadow Lane is in the city of Nottingham

Historically, parliamentary boundaries have been quite fluid.  In the 19th C we had the County of Edinburgh (Edinburghshire), County of Linlithgow (Linlithgowshire) and the County of Haddington (Haddingtonshire).  The boundaries moved as the population grew.  Cramond used to be in Linlithgowshire then moved when the R Almond was made the boundary.

In 1975 all counties were merged into Lothian Region and then split again in 1996 to the now 4 administrative areas of City of Edinburgh, West Lothian, Midlothian and East Lothian.

In the beginning we were named Heart of Mid-Lothian after the Tolbooth in SWS's novel of the same name.  Tynecastle has always been in he City of Edinburgh (Edinburghshire or Midlothian). The same way the other lot were Leith Hibernians (until going bust).  The port of Leith was part of Edinburghshire but not part of the City until amalgamation in the 20s.

I enjoy looking at the old town maps from the 19th century which clearly shows the boundary between Edinburgh and Leith.  The boundary went up Pilrig, along Albert St and Albion Rd to Lochend Loch.  ER is in Lochend which was part of Leith.  Never Edinburgh, should not have the name or castle on its badge.

21 minutes ago, EIEIO said:

Indeed and Linlithgowshire before that.

When the boundaries were redefined, Linlithgowshire became West Lothian but lost Bo'ness and Grangemouth to Falkirk with Cramond, Kirkliston, Ratho and Newbridge moving to the City. 

4 minutes ago, Tasavallan said:

Historically, parliamentary boundaries have been quite fluid.  In the 19th C we had the County of Edinburgh (Edinburghshire), County of Linlithgow (Linlithgowshire) and the County of Haddington (Haddingtonshire).  The boundaries moved as the population grew.  Cramond used to be in Linlithgowshire then moved when the R Almond was made the boundary.

In 1975 all counties were merged into Lothian Region and then split again in 1996 to the now 4 administrative areas of City of Edinburgh, West Lothian, Midlothian and East Lothian.

In the beginning we were named Heart of Mid-Lothian after the Tolbooth in SWS's novel of the same name.  Tynecastle has always been in he City of Edinburgh (Edinburghshire or Midlothian). The same way the other lot were Leith Hibernians (until going bust).  The port of Leith was part of Edinburghshire but not part of the City until amalgamation in the 20s.

I enjoy looking at the old town maps from the 19th century which clearly shows the boundary between Edinburgh and Leith.  The boundary went up Pilrig, along Albert St and Albion Rd to Lochend Loch.  ER is in Lochend which was part of Leith.  Never Edinburgh, should not have the name or castle on its badge.

In summary,

We're from the capital...

21 minutes ago, Archimedes said:

Nottingham Forest's stadium The City Ground is not in the city but West Bridgford, Nottinghamshire

although 

Notts County's stadium Meadow Lane is in the city of Nottingham

Grimsby Town's Blundell Park is located in the adjoining town of Cleethorpes.  And as everyone knows Old Trafford lies in the Met Borough of Trafford and not the City of Manchester.

4 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:

In summary,

We're from the capital...

Correct.

Even though I have not lived in the capital since graduating and now settled in West Lothian, when asked "where do you come from?" I still reply (without hesitation) Edinburgh.  Wherever I am in the world, everyone knows Edinburgh, nobody has heard of Leith.

Wilson Wood, Would You?
1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

The postcode is the key one. All three ‘lothians’ are EH for Edinburgh. 

Peebles is also an  EH postcode but and has  never been in a Lothian (I think) 

Wilson Wood, Would You?
1 hour ago, Tasavallan said:

When the boundaries were redefined, Linlithgowshire became West Lothian but lost Bo'ness and Grangemouth to Falkirk with Cramond, Kirkliston, Ratho and Newbridge moving to the City. 

Ratho and Newbridge were both  part of Midlothian prior to re organisation and have never been in West Lothian or Linlithgowshire

Edited by Wilson Wood, Would You?

6 minutes ago, Wilson Wood, Would You? said:

Peebles is also an  EH postcode but and has  never been in a Lothian (I think) 

It hasn’t. It was in Peeblesshire. 

Francis Albert
6 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

That blame ( I’m told) can be laid at the door of C Robinson. When clubs were asked years ago by the media what their preferred name of use was to be , he chose Hearts* , our nearest opponents said hibernian (as an example ) . I have noticed though that some media pundits do call us by our full name . I don’t see why it couldn’t be altered though .

* I got this info from a very knowledgeable gentleman and have no reason to doubt it , especially as the afore mentioned robinson didn’t appreciate the club badge 

Sorry but Hearts were known as Hearts long before CPR was born. I like the full name when the results are read out but if every match report or news story referred to our full name it would be annoying.

As for c'mon Heart of Midlothian or FFS Heart of Midlothian at the game ...

1 minute ago, Francis Albert said:

Sorry but Hearts were known as Hearts long before CPR was born. I like the full name when the results are read out but if every match report or news story referred to our full name it would be annoying.

Plus I’d miss the Hearts song. 

9 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Really Heart of Midlothian were known as Hearts 🤔😉😄,

I get that but the context I’m trying to get over is the custodians of the club were asked , as were ALL clubs , what would they like to be known as in draws , media ,etc etc and Robinson chose Hearts .

Now as long as they don’t say Jambo’s v East Fife I don’t really care , I was just replying to another poster , 👍🏻

Francis Albert
7 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Plus I’d miss the Hearts song. 

Not to mention all those plays on the word hearts. King of Hearts. Ace of Hearts, Hearts are Trumps and so on. Even Queen of Hearts!

Francis Albert
1 minute ago, 3fingersreid said:

Really Heart of Midlothian were known as Hearts 🤔😉😄,

I get that but the context I’m trying to get over is the custodians of the club were asked , as were ALL clubs , what would they like to be known as in draws , media ,etc etc and Robinson chose Hearts .

Now as long as they don’t say Jambo’s v East Fife I don’t really care , I was just replying to another poster , 👍🏻

Ok. Apologies. I know CPR was keen on a bit of rebranding but the brand for most purposes already was Hearts. And as for Jambos ... that is the real obscenity!

3 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Ok. Apologies. I know CPR was keen on a bit of rebranding but the brand for most purposes already was Hearts. And as for Jambos ... that is the real obscenity!

No need for apologies mate it’s all good 👍🏻

Francis Albert
6 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

PS did Jambos Kickback date from CPR's time or was the kickback  board which does date from then renamed afterwards?

Edited by Francis Albert

3 hours ago, 4marsbars said:

And, in those days, Glasgow was in Lanarkshire, Dundee was in Angus (former name of Angus was Forfarshire) and Aberdeen was in Aberdeenshire.

South Queensferry was in West Lothian.

Dumbarton was in Dunbartonshire, which had no East or West.

Arran was in Buteshire, and Arran secondary kids had to go to Rothesay as boarders.

Fife was in Fife.

But it had a ‘detached’ - a wee exclave in Stirlingshire around Kirkintilloch (I think).

That’s another thing: why is it DuMbarton but DuNbartonshire?  And why West Lothian, East Lothian but Midlothian (one word, small-case ‘L’?

2 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

PS did Jambos Kickback date from CPR's time or was the kickback  board which does date from then renamed afterwards?

When it was run by the club I think it was just Kickback but when that was closed and the non club run forum was set up it became Jambos Kickback...iirc. Our web address is hmfckickback.co.uk though. 

On a loosely related subject when filling in a probate forms I discovered that Edinburghshire is used in place of Midlothian (got a "good effort" from the Officer of the court as everything else was correct). I presume that Linlithgowshire will replace West Lothian and Haddingtonshire for East Lothian?

19 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

When it was run by the club I think it was just Kickback but when that was closed and the non club run forum was set up it became Jambos Kickback...iirc. Our web address is hmfckickback.co.uk though. 

I believe that after the Club version of Kickback ended, and before the current JKB started, there was a brief period when there was a "Kickback II".  Both of the non-club versions were started by godsajambo and Big Pete.

It is strange that both Hearts and h1b5 were, in geographical terms born only a street away, (High Street to Cowgate), but they are literally worlds apart, eh!

P.S. and not in a good way for the h1b5

Edited by Deid Heid

2 hours ago, Tasavallan said:

And as everyone knows Old Trafford lies in the Met Borough of Trafford and not the City of Manchester.

And their fans from the boroughs of London and Thailand

1 hour ago, Maple Leaf said:

I believe that after the Club version of Kickback ended, and before the current JKB started, there was a brief period when there was a "Kickback II".  Both of the non-club versions were started by godsajambo and Big Pete.

Kickback ii rings a bell. 👍

1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

Is that not why most of us have a 2006 joining date. Either because we got migrated across or joined after the club run one closed and this was set up. I thought hmfckickback was the one in the middle one but not the web address? 

Thats almost as confusing as Edinburgh and Midlothian

1 hour ago, Deid Heid said:

It is strange that both Hearts and h1b5 were, in geographical terms born only a street away, (High Street to Cowgate), but they are literally worlds apart, eh!

P.S. and not in a good way for the h1b5

Where was the dance club? Was it in the High Street? I know the mosiac marks the entrance to where the old jail was. I seem to remember reading something about the group of friends who formed the club, hung around a pub in the Southside somewhere, their local? I should really know stuff like that. 

Edited by pablo

5 hours ago, Doc Rob said:

Didn’t Justin Edinburgh’s nickname used to be Musselburgh?

:lol: Aye, I'd forgot about that. Great name.

12 hours ago, scott herbertson said:

Changes in administrative boundaries can be confusing.

When I worked for Kingston Council I lived in Kingston which was a  a London Borough, but my postal address was Surrey. Surrey County Council didn't cover our area, but just half a mile from  our Kingston Council office, in London, there was the Surrey County Council headquarters, which wasn't in Surrey (any more). Surrey County Council only recently moved their Council HQ from Kingston, London to Guildford Surrey.

So not surprised by the confusion

I think of it as we are the Heart of Midlothian, but we are an Edinburgh team

Aberdeenshire Council HQ is in Aberdeen City, as is Aberdeen City Council's HQ.

3 hours ago, sadj said:

Is that not why most of us have a 2006 joining date. Either because we got migrated across or joined after the club run one closed and this was set up. I thought hmfckickback was the one in the middle one but not the web address? 

Thats almost as confusing as Edinburgh and Midlothian

No - the 2006 change was ownership, but not from the club :thumbsup:

3 hours ago, pablo said:

Where was the dance club? Was it in the High Street? I know the mosiac marks the entrance to where the old jail was. I seem to remember reading something about the group of friends who formed the club, hung around a pub in the Southside somewhere, their local? I should really know stuff like that. 

Pretty sure the dance hall was on the high street, the pub on the southside (whose name eludes me) was used as a changing room before the games, and probably a few beers before and after no doubt. Quite possibly their local boozer too.

Hopefully somebody will keep us right...

11 hours ago, Locky said:

I read recently too, that my current town of residence, Musselburgh, was Midlothian until around that time too, before becoming East Lothian. Is this perhaps part of the reason why I've always considered Mussy as part of Edinburgh, or is that just me? I look at Tranent, Prestonpans etc. As being seperate settlements, but Musselburgh differently for some reason.

Musselburgh, Inveresk, Wallyford and Whitecraig were all part of Midlothian till 1975. 👍

20 minutes ago, graygo said:

You sure Dave?

Edinburgh was part of Edinburghshire until it changed name to Midlothian in 1921, it continued being part of Midlothian until the council's were scrapped in 1975 and replaced by Lothian Region. This was split into 4 districts, East, West and Midlothian along with City of Edinburgh District which took on parts of the other districts.

So, it is 45 years since Edinburgh was last part of Midlothian.

Do you not remember Midlothian council headquarters being on George IV bridge?

Edited by graygo

24 minutes ago, graygo said:

Edinburgh was part of Edinburghshire until it changed name to Midlothian in 1921, it continued being part of Midlothian until the council's were scrapped in 1975 and replaced by Lothian Region. This was split into 4 districts, East, West and Midlothian along with City of Edinburgh District which took on parts of the other districts.

So, it is 45 years since Edinburgh was last part of Midlothian.

Do you not remember Midlothian council headquarters being on George IV bridge?

Midlothian County Council, which had its offices on George IV Bridge had no control over Edinburgh which had it’s own Council. 

6 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Midlothian County Council, which had its offices on George IV Bridge had no control over Edinburgh which had it’s own Council. 

https://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/usfeatures/areas/midlothian.html

Most regions were divided into a number of district council areas, and Lothian had four. As part of the reorganisation Midlothian became a district council area. The Midlothian District that emerged from the reorganisation was considerably smaller than the county of Midlothian that existed previously. The northern third or so of the county was spilt off to form a new City of Edinburgh District, meaning that for the first time Scotland's capital was not within Midlothian. Meanwhile, a chunk of what had been the south end of the county of Midlothian, around Stow, was taken into the Ettrick & Lauderdale District of Scottish Borders. If that were not enough, Midlothian District also lost Musselburgh and Inveresk to East Lothian District.

Edit: I'm not saying you are wrong, just posting what I'm finding. You're right about the council, I think Edinburgh had it's corporation.

Edited by graygo

5 minutes ago, graygo said:

https://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/usfeatures/areas/midlothian.html

Most regions were divided into a number of district council areas, and Lothian had four. As part of the reorganisation Midlothian became a district council area. The Midlothian District that emerged from the reorganisation was considerably smaller than the county of Midlothian that existed previously. The northern third or so of the county was spilt off to form a new City of Edinburgh District, meaning that for the first time Scotland's capital was not within Midlothian. Meanwhile, a chunk of what had been the south end of the county of Midlothian, around Stow, was taken into the Ettrick & Lauderdale District of Scottish Borders. If that were not enough, Midlothian District also lost Musselburgh and Inveresk to East Lothian District.

Midlothian County Council had no role in the City of Edinburgh, unlike in the other Burghs in the county. Edinburgh had it’s own Education dept, police force etc... Anyway, we should probably continue this in the Shed. 🤣

12 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Midlothian County Council had no role in the City of Edinburgh, unlike in the other Burghs in the county. Edinburgh had it’s own Education dept, police force etc... Anyway, we should probably continue this in the Shed. 🤣

See my edit. 👍

7 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Correct!....Always thought jambo was some form of Swahili greeting...!

Never liked the term. In my earlier days the Hearts were known as the Jam Tart's...not this jambo nonsense.

Edited by Hashimoto

4 minutes ago, Hashimoto said:

Correct!....Always thought jambo was some form of Swahili greeting...!

Never liked the term. In my earlier days the Hearts were known as the Jam Tart's...not this jambo nonsense.

Apparently came into vogue after Rambo. I’m aware of it from the early 80s. 

scott herbertson
10 hours ago, Dunks said:

Aberdeenshire Council HQ is in Aberdeen City, as is Aberdeen City Council's HQ.

Similar and equally mad, but not quite the same

address is  Aberdeen, but not postally Aberdeenshire. Surrey County Council's postal address was Kingston, Surrey, not Kingston, London, and was not in Surrey County

91P%2BQCB-dIL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

17 hours ago, Tasavallan said:

I do the very same thing. ER definitely at the wrong side of the boundary.:happy:

image.png.c39a607c45dc5aba61d12ffff2bde720.png

8 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Apparently came into vogue after Rambo. I’m aware of it from the early 80s. 

That sounds about right. 

First time I recall hearing the name "Jambo" was In late '82. Around the time of our League Cup semi at Ibrox. 

I was at the old Leith Academy at the time, which was getting work done on it, and we played football against some apprentice scaffolders during the dinner hour. Most of them appeared to be Hibs except one lad who they all referred to as "Jambo". 

I think that would tie in with the release of "First Blood". 

12 hours ago, Deid Heid said:

Pretty sure the dance hall was on the high street, the pub on the southside (whose name eludes me) was used as a changing room before the games, and probably a few beers before and after no doubt. Quite possibly their local boozer too.

Hopefully somebody will keep us right...

I might be wrong, but I thought I'd read that the dancehall was in west crosscausway.   Or was that where our first offices were?