Are we Heart of Midlothian or Edinburgh??

rubyruby

Following the latest coronavirus update from our FM im left confused as to whether Edinburgh is in midlothian or not..

I've always assumed we are,some of my mail states we are & even filling out address online will ask for a county..

So where does that leaves Hearts? We were founded in Edinburgh,can we still be Heart of midlothian if Edinburgh is not in midlothian..

Some folk I've spoken to have said we are in midlothian some say we,re not. 🤪🙄🙃

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• davemclaren

• graygo

• scott herbertson

• EIEIO

Our club wasn’t named because it was in the Heart of Midlothian so I’m not sure if it matters much.  We are the heart and soul of Edinburgh 👍

5 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

As above.  I think by nature we are Midlothian but by administration we are separated.  

I thought just Lothian. 

https://www.geni.com/projects/Counties-of-Scotland-United-Kingdom/14402

Quite interesting history of Scottish counties/local authorities.

Midlothian appears to be a new name for Edinburghshire.

I guess that Edinburgh was in "old" Midlothian prior to changes in mid 70's.

Glad the dance hall was called what it was. Zenatec FC doesn't have the same ring to it...

4 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

I thought just Lothian. 

Midlothian Council offices were in Edinburgh because the city was part of the county.  What is now commonly known to people as Midlothian(Dalkeith, Bonnyrigg..etc) used to be called Edinburghshire

2 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Midlothian Council offices were in Edinburgh because the city was part of the county.  What is now commonly known to people as Midlothian(Dalkeith, Bonnyrigg..etc) used to be called Edinburghshire

Cool, thanks!  

15 minutes ago, graygo said:

We are in City of Edinburgh, which was part of Midlothian when we were founded but has been seperate since 1975.

This map might help.

0_Screen-Shot-2020-11-18-at-152442-1.png

Lol, top cartography, sir!

14 minutes ago, Boris said:

Glad the dance hall was called what it was. Zenatec FC doesn't have the same ring to it...

Been more than a hundred years since Edinburgh was in Midlothian. 

scott herbertson

Changes in administrative boundaries can be confusing.

When I worked for Kingston Council I lived in Kingston which was a  a London Borough, but my postal address was Surrey. Surrey County Council didn't cover our area, but just half a mile from  our Kingston Council office, in London, there was the Surrey County Council headquarters, which wasn't in Surrey (any more). Surrey County Council only recently moved their Council HQ from Kingston, London to Guildford Surrey.

So not surprised by the confusion

I think of it as we are the Heart of Midlothian, but we are an Edinburgh team

4 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

When I worked for Kingston Council I lived in Kingston which was a  a London Borough, but my postal address was Surrey. Surrey County Council didn't cover our area, but just half a mile from  our Kingston Council office, in London, there was the Surrey County Council headquarters, which wasn't in Surrey (any more). Surrey County Council only recently moved their Council HQ from Kingston, London to Guildford Surrey.

"Yo" to da Surbiton Massif. 😎🤘

We are HMFC and it boils my urine when TV /Pundits/PA announcers call us "Hearts" and we should always be referred to as

"Heart of Midlothian"

Council boundaries have changed, our beautiful name and history haven't.

Only those who support the men in maroon are allowed to refer to us as Hearts, Hertz, Jambos, JT's etc. the rest need to know their place and show respect.

41 minutes ago, sjh1874 said:

We are HMFC and it boils my urine when TV /Pundits/PA announcers call us "Hearts" and we should always be referred to as

"Heart of Midlothian"

Only those who support the men in maroon are allowed to refer to us as Hearts, Hertz, Jambos, JT's etc. the rest need to know their place and show respect.

That blame ( I’m told) can be laid at the door of C Robinson. When clubs were asked years ago by the media what their preferred name of use was to be , he chose Hearts* , our nearest opponents said hibernian (as an example ) . I have noticed though that some media pundits do call us by our full name . I don’t see why it couldn’t be altered though .

* I got this info from a very knowledgeable gentleman and have no reason to doubt it , especially as the afore mentioned robinson didn’t appreciate the club badge 

Edited by 3fingersreid

Then we need AB or Gary Locke as club ambassador to mention to the press that we want to be called heart of midlothian no just hearts 

scott herbertson
1 hour ago, Wee Mikey said:

"Yo" to da Surbiton Massif. 😎🤘

😄

Any improper behaviour, talk of 'Massifs' and such, was frowned upon down in Surbiton let me tell you

The Good Life | Television Heaven

I couldn't care less if the press call us Hearts, would have be pretty boring day before something like that got to me. However people look stupid when they call us Hearts of Midlothian.

Based on nothing more than my Dad's love of Sir Walter Scott's novels, I've always thought of us as being in Midlothian.  Councils can p**s about with names and borders all they want (give it a few years, they'll spend a small fortune merging 'The Lothians').  If folk ask, I live at Roseburn not the council area of Edinburgh West which in my head completely proves my point. 

Funnily enough, I used to always write my address as Midlothian despite being in Edinburgh when I was younger, but now filling out internet forms, it always comes under City of Edinburgh.

We are Edinburgh, and always have been. Naturally though, it's hard for those in the greater Edinburgh counties to resist the charms of the Capital's oldest, most historic, most beautiful, professional football club. 

As an aside, when Leith wasn't Edinburgh, was it considered Midlothian?

3 hours ago, graygo said:

We are in City of Edinburgh, which was part of Midlothian when we were founded but has been seperate since 1975.

This map might help.

0_Screen-Shot-2020-11-18-at-152442-1.png

I read recently too, that my current town of residence, Musselburgh, was Midlothian until around that time too, before becoming East Lothian. Is this perhaps part of the reason why I've always considered Mussy as part of Edinburgh, or is that just me? I look at Tranent, Prestonpans etc. As being seperate settlements, but Musselburgh differently for some reason.

7 minutes ago, Locky said:

Funnily enough, I used to always write my address as Midlothian despite being in Edinburgh when I was younger, but now filling out internet forms, it always comes under City of Edinburgh.

We are Edinburgh, and always have been. Naturally though, it's hard for those in the greater Edinburgh counties to resist the charms of the Capital's oldest, most historic, most beautiful, professional football club. 

As an aside, when Leith wasn't Edinburgh, was it considered Midlothian?

Leith was in the county of MidLothian/Edinburghshire. 

Seymour M Hersh
2 hours ago, scott herbertson said:

That reads like the beginning of the classic comedy show Soap. :lol:

1 hour ago, scott herbertson said:

😄

Any improper behaviour, talk of 'Massifs' and such, was frowned upon down in Surbiton let me tell you

The Good Life | Television Heaven

Never appreciated it at the time, but she probably counts as posh middle aged totty. Funny how perspectives change. Felicity Kendall, however, was always........

Edited by schillaci

On internet forms I’ve been known to put Edinburghshire in the box marked county but Heart of Edinburghshire doesn’t quite roll off the tongue.

Craig Herbertson
3 hours ago, scott herbertson said:

I think of it as we are the Heart of Midlothian, but we are THE Edinburgh team

Corrected that for you Scott. I just told some website I live in the county Midlothian. Only a hundred years out by the looks of it.

3 hours ago, sjh1874 said:

"Heart of Midlothian"

I agree, and even more so when it comes people referring to "Hibs".

For goodness sake, call them by their full and correct name: "Hibs B******s".*

(*An old joke, pinched from my even older mate, Bob!   :thumbsup:  )

jambo-in-furness
3 hours ago, sjh1874 said:

"Heart of Midlothian"

That’s kind of where I’m at.

scott herbertson
1 hour ago, schillaci said:

Never appreciated it at the time, but she probably counts as posh middle aged totty. Funny how perspectives change. Felicity Kendall, however, was always........

couldn't agree more. I used to muse over that sort of thing while digging over my garden plot at Avenue South in Surbiton (the Good Life was set in The Avenue, Surbiton though sadly for my felicitous musings,  actually filmed in North London)

Interesting topic actually.   I've often wondered how folk from the likes of Gilmerton,  Fairmilehead, Cramond, Juniper Green etc used to feel back in the days before their villages got swallowed up by Edinburgh city.   Late 1800s or early 1900s I think ?     

The Hobos seem to be in a permanent state of confusion - "We're fae Leef, no Embra"  one day, then "Embra's premier team"  the next.   To us though, they'll always just be the Wee Team

:glorious:

And, in those days, Glasgow was in Lanarkshire, Dundee was in Angus (former name of Angus was Forfarshire) and Aberdeen was in Aberdeenshire.

South Queensferry was in West Lothian.

Dumbarton was in Dunbartonshire, which had no East or West.

Arran was in Buteshire, and Arran secondary kids had to go to Rothesay as boarders.

Fife was in Fife.

5 hours ago, Boris said:

Where I live now in North Wales, the ancient county of Caernarvonshire covered most of the north-west of the country. In the 70s they rolled the whole of the north into two massive counties - Gwynedd and Clwyd. Then in the 90s they broke them up again and created new ones. We are now in Conwy, but the county often pops up as Gwynedd on address finders, which is confusing as Gwynedd still exists - it’s just a fair bit smaller now.

No idea why people think this sort of thing is a good idea. It’s like when they decided to delete the East Riding of Yorkshire and rename it North Humberside instead. That was reversed in the 90s too.

Pasquale for King
5 hours ago, rubyruby said:

Following the latest coronavirus update from our FM im left confused as to whether Edinburgh is in midlothian or not..

I've always assumed we are,some of my mail states we are & even filling out address online will ask for a county..

So where does that leaves Hearts? We were founded in Edinburgh,can we still be Heart of midlothian if Edinburgh is not in midlothian..

Some folk I've spoken to have said we are in midlothian some say we,re not. 🤪🙄🙃

Gorgie became separate from

Midlothian in 1975 apparently, I made that mistake in a family zoom quiz with a Heart strip on no less, and I live in Gorgie ffs 😆🙈.  No existential crisis required. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midlothian

CDBB66DE-5799-414F-B2E4-0469B4643D8B.jpeg

2 hours ago, Locky said:

I read recently too, that my current town of residence, Musselburgh, was Midlothian until around that time too, before becoming East Lothian. Is this perhaps part of the reason why I've always considered Mussy as part of Edinburgh, or is that just me? I look at Tranent, Prestonpans etc. As being seperate settlements, but Musselburgh differently for some reason.

Didn’t Justin Edinburgh’s nickname used to be Musselburgh?

Didn't Midlothian "rock star" Fish once have a song called Heart of Lothian?

Always been a jambo despite being from Linlithgowshire,  lived in Edinburgh too but never the mid or east lothians.

On forms or some postage if they ask

City?....Edinburgh

Region (or) County?...Midlothian

is what i fill in or sometimes i leave region/county blank.

4 minutes ago, jambonian said:

On forms or some postage if they ask

City?....Edinburgh

Region (or) County?...Midlothian

is what i fill in or sometimes i leave region/county blank.

The postcode is the key one. All three ‘lothians’ are EH for Edinburgh. 

5 hours ago, Boris said:

If we'd been founded in the 1950s, we'd probably be called "Palais de Danse FC".

:wink:

Urban Ghosts Media is coming soon | Abandoned buildings, Edinburgh,  Abandoned

17 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

The postcode is the key one. All three ‘lothians’ are EH for Edinburgh. 

Bo'ness which is in Falkirk council area has a postcode of EH51. 

1 minute ago, EIEIO said:

Bo'ness which is in Falkirk council area has a postcode of EH51. 

Post codes are more aligned to the sorting office that the mail goes through than any county boundary.