11/10 Live Performances

Lovecraft

I'm half pissed, half stoned.  Don't give a **** it's a Monday any more.

Rocking some live tunes, and gotta say.. this is pretty damn fine.....

**** me, when you go back an look at the stuff on Old Grey Whistle Test.

What happened to live music like this?

Talk about a beautiful smash of cultures...

Edited by Lovecraft

8 hours ago, Lovecraft said:

Flat out 10000000000000000000000/10

Incredible stuff. Would have been 12/10 if they'd have put their ****ing tops back on!

Malinga the Swinga
9 hours ago, Lovecraft said:

Prince.

Prince was a musical genius. His guitar playing here was response to publication listing grest guitarists of era and him being left out. 

Could play almost every instrument and wrote so many great songs for both himself and other artists. 

Saw him in concert few times and always outstanding. 

7 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Prince was a musical genius. His guitar playing here was response to publication listing grest guitarists of era and him being left out. 

Could play almost every instrument and wrote so many great songs for both himself and other artists. 

The old probable myth of the journalist asking Eric Clapton what it's like to be the best guitar player in the world.  His response:  "Ask Prince"

🙂

7 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

On the "For you" album, Prince played every instrument as well as writing, composing and arranging the entire album. I think the only other person involved was a sound engineer.

He was an musical genius and an incredible talent.

13 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Someone on here posted that great quote from Eric Clapton when he was asked what it was like to be the world's best guitarist and he said ask prince.   

6 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

The old probable myth of the journalist asking Eric Clapton what it's like to be the best guitar player in the world.  His response:  "Ask Prince"

🙂

Beat me to it. 

30 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

Someone on here posted that great quote from Eric Clapton when he was asked what it was like to be the world's best guitarist and he said ask prince.   

And someone asked Jimi Hendrix what it was like to be the best guitarist and he replied I don’t know ask Rory Gallagher. 
I’ve seen this quote used with different names many times. 

1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

Those From the Basement sessions are tremendous. King of Limbs one is arguably better than the album!

I P Knightley
3 hours ago, sandyk said:

Wont please some, but..

Not the U2 gig I'd have gone for. Live Aid really made them so I'd have included that one but I see that someone's already posted Queen's set from then.

Queen may have been the better set but that was really to be expected by then. So I'd say that U2's was more remarkable.

1 hour ago, I P Knightley said:

Not the U2 gig I'd have gone for. Live Aid really made them so I'd have included that one but I see that someone's already posted Queen's set from then.

Queen may have been the better set but that was really to be expected by then. So I'd say that U2's was more remarkable.

U2 at Live Aid launched them to superstar status. Picked this one as it took them back to the beginning musically and the venue embraced it. 👍

With some of the arsehole nations threatening to pull out of the show altogether unless this harmless drag act was banned, to hear the audience belting out the chorus was a great moment.

It's like the best Bond theme ever.

And a worthy winner.

Samuel Camazzola

Can't think of many bands who'd have the crowd singing to guitar rifts as well as the lyrics. 

Both live in the second best stadium in the world too! 

Special mention to Prince's Superbowl show. The organisers were wanting to halt it for health and safety but he was having none of it. 

luckyBatistuta
16 hours ago, Lovecraft said:

Prince.

:berra:

4 hours ago, Cade said:

I came on the thread to post the Super Bowl half time show. Torrential rain and it didn’t make the slightest bit of difference. The man was a musical genius, born to perform. I’m just glad I got to see him live.

Samuel Camazzola
53 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

I came on the thread to post the Super Bowl half time show. Torrential rain and it didn’t make the slightest bit of difference. The man was a musical genius, born to perform. I’m just glad I got to see him live.

Likewise. 👍 

I was at one of the Millennium Dome/O2 gigs during his 'residency' there in 2007. His sets were different each night too. 

I was due to go to his Scottish gig in 2016 too. 😢

Салатные палочки
6 hours ago, EH11_2NL said:

Hell yeah!!!!

Incredible. Hanx is my favourite live album ever.

Jim Reilly's drumming on it :wow:

luckyBatistuta
10 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Likewise. 👍 

I was at one of the Millennium Dome/O2 gigs during his 'residency' there in 2007. His sets were different each night too. 

I was due to go to his Scottish gig in 2016 too. 😢

I was at one of the O2 gigs, it was incredible, a great venue. Another incredible thing too, 1993 Meadowbank Stadium.

3 hours ago, sandyk said:

U2 at Live Aid launched them to superstar status. Picked this one as it took them back to the beginning musically and the venue embraced it. 👍

4 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

I watched this on a 12-inch black and white telly.  U2 were well-known before this song, but this is literally the few minutes when they became the biggest band on the planet - you can actually see it happening in this few minutes.  Say what you like about Bono, but in those days he just had a superb showman's instinct.

Weakened Offender
34 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

I watched this on a 12-inch black and white telly.  U2 were well-known before this song, but this is literally the few minutes when they became the biggest band on the planet - you can actually see it happening in this few minutes.  Say what you like about Bono, but in those days he just had a superb showman's instinct.

It's a shame what happened to Bono. 

This is great quality from an audience shot camera. All four band members are great and then at around 4’20” Danny Carey turns into the absolute drum monster we know he is. Technical as hell all the way through and then he just explodes. 

luckyBatistuta
2 hours ago, Ulysses said:

Lost count of how many times I’ve watched that, the moment I fell in love with that song. Had  a few laughs when  a ‘what’s your favourite song has’ come up. Each time I say Bad, folk say in shock ‘what, Michael Jackson’🤣

34 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Lost count of how many times I’ve watched that, the moment I fell in love with that song. Had  a few laughs when  a ‘what’s your favourite song has’ come up. Each time I say Bad, folk say in shock ‘what, Michael Jackson’🤣

I'd a mate (sadly departed now) who used to call Live Aid "the day the music died" because of the way it created a launchpad for corporate sponsored music.  But it has to be said that there were some very good performances that day - more so in the British half of the gig than the American side.

luckyBatistuta
3 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

I'd a mate (sadly departed now) who used to call Live Aid "the day the music died" because of the way it created a launchpad for corporate sponsored music.  But it has to be said that there were some very good performances that day - more so in the British half of the gig than the American side.

Agree with that. I can’t believe there would have been anybody out there thinking that they weren’t witnessing something very special that day. Loved almost every minute of it...more so in the British half of the gig than the American side😁

Live Aid USA had some incredible acts on.
Black Sabbath

Judas Priest

Bryan Adams

The Beach Boys

Simple Minds

The Pretenders

Santana

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers

Neil Young

Eric Clapton

Led Zeppelin

Mick Jagger

Overshadowed by timezone differences, technical difficulties and the passage of time (as well as editing of the sets over the years due to copyright bullshit) but they still had some great acts on that day in Philly.