Celtic 2 Hearts 3 (2000)

Weakened Offender

Weakened Offender

Second favourite visit through there. Absolutely brilliant day, utter carnage in the away end. Possibly Gary Naysmith's finest performance in a Hearts jersey. 

😎

Skippy Doodle

The more memorable of the two wins against them that season but we played better IMO from start to finish in the 1-0 win at Tynecastle 

Weakened Offender

8 minutes ago, Skippy Doodle said:

The more memorable of the two wins against them that season but we played better IMO from start to finish in the 1-0 win at Tynecastle 

It was a funny old season that one. Few pumpings but a great win at the end of the season to reach Europe, the day after beating Rangers 5-3 in the BP Youth Cup Final at Hampden. Went through for that, magic stuff. 

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=rangers+3+hearts+5+BP+Youth+Cup+final&view=detail&mid=1FEDBF5A2387EB4D669D1FEDBF5A2387EB4D669D&FORM=VIRE&PC=EMMX20

Weakened Offender
4 minutes ago, Smoked-Glass said:

Fitzroy Simpson playing well. 🤪

He was playing non-league football the year after I think. 

🤣 literally just finished listening to "this is my story" podcast ep 10. Naysmith (using this game as the part of the bio) was the 'blind date' and Fitzroy was one of the conundrums. Come on here and this is the first thing I see. Love wee weird coincidences like this 😅

One of my most memorable ever Hearts matches.   We were 2-0 down and it was looking like a cricket score.  Then Cameron pulled a goal back just before half-time out of nothing.  We dominated the 2nd half and they were shell shocked when they went behind.  Niemi pulled off a wonder save near the end too.  It's hard to believe that was nearly 21 years ago (I was 14).  Celtic have not lost at home from being 2 nil up since then and probably never will again.😂

I was in the Tic end that day 🤮🤢

When we scored the 3rd I upped and left as couldn't handle it getting pulled back from that scuzzy lot...

Got into car and radio on for the final whistle....amazing day 😁😄😃😆😊🙂

1 hour ago, Weakened Offender said:

Second favourite visit through there. Absolutely brilliant day, utter carnage in the away end. Possibly Gary Naysmith's finest performance in a Hearts jersey. 

😎

Fairly enjoyed that, a rousing performance from JJ's lads against a tramps team full of notable names.

TGFITW roundly booing their heroes off the park at FT being the perfect ending.

Coming back from 2-0 v Celtic ... away!!!

For years I've noticed that opposition scorers often 'celebrate' with an aggressive testostetone-fuelled twisted look on their faces whereas Hearts scorers tend to look smiley and happy. Compare and contrast Moravcik after Celtic's 1st (03:30) and Naysmith after Hearts' 2nd (11:00).

Tell you what though, with today's 'trial by social media' if we'd lost that game then Pressley would've been slaughtered for that, ahem, 'clearance' leading to Celtic's 2nd (05:40). Not to mention Wales gifting them posession in the first place for the initial attack. If that had been Damour & Clare? 

8 hours ago, Deodato said:

Gary Wales ....a blast from the past, 

I used to work in town, and would often see a guy walking around sharply dressed, very professional looking. His face stuck out to me because he looked a lot like Gary Wales. That was it...

Fast forward to when I've left that job, and for a reason I can't remember, I'm on the McEwan Fraser website. Low and behold, in the staff section, there's the man himself. It was him all along!

Must be kicking the arse off of 40 and I swear he could still pass for his early 20's.

14 minutes ago, Locky said:

I used to work in town, and would often see a guy walking around sharply dressed, very professional looking. His face stuck out to me because he looked a lot like Gary Wales. That was it...

Fast forward to when I've left that job, and for a reason I can't remember, I'm on the McEwan Fraser website. Low and behold, in the staff section, there's the man himself. It was him all along!

Must be kicking the arse off of 40 and I swear he could still pass for his early 20's.

Can’t pinpoint the exact date ( I think it was against Rangers?) but he got a bad injury just as he was gaining plaudits for really blossoming and becoming a key player.  It may have been just as Levein was in during his first stint as manager but GW started under JJ initially. 

10 hours ago, Weakened Offender said:

From what I remember, yes. 

Fitzroy signed for Linfield, he was murder at that level did not last the season.

2 hours ago, Ominous said:

Love craig gordon but Niemi is still number 1 for me.

Great signing by JJ

Weakened Offender
1 hour ago, Debut 4 said:

Can’t pinpoint the exact date ( I think it was against Rangers?) but he got a bad injury just as he was gaining plaudits for really blossoming and becoming a key player.  It may have been just as Levein was in during his first stint as manager but GW started under JJ initially. 

1 hour ago, Lfhearts said:

Fitzroy signed for Linfield, he was murder at that level did not last the season.

Played for Telford before Linfield. 

6 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Was this not the same week as 'Super Caley go balistic', leading to Barnes getting the boot?

Shortly after we beat them. 

Just messaged a mate of mine who I was with that day to ask him if he recalls what he said when they scored the second.

It was the immortal comment

" nobody comes back from

2-0 down at Parkhead "

In fairness  we got pummeled for the first half hour and many more looked on the cards.just shows you 

6 hours ago, sandyk said:

Was this not the same week as 'Super Caley go balistic', leading to Barnes getting the boot?

Yeah that was the Tuesday or Wednesday we played them on the Saturday?

That was the last time I went to parkhead.

I'd never seen us win there against Celtic prior to that. My usual bus wasn't going as folk couldn't be bothered seeing us take another doing (we'd had a few there in previous matches) so I got the train over to Haymarket and got on some supporters bus I can't remember the name of. 

What a game!  Seemed like we were on for another hiding early on but we came back strong. 

It was far from a sellout in the away end from what I remember but was obviously bouncing once we got back in the game. 

Getting from the ground to the bus was a bit dodgy afterwards, lots of bitter Celtic fans 😁

18 hours ago, Wee Mikey said:

Coming back from 2-0 v Celtic ... away!!!

For years I've noticed that opposition scorers often 'celebrate' with an aggressive testostetone-fuelled twisted look on their faces whereas Hearts scorers tend to look smiley and happy. Compare and contrast Moravcik after Celtic's 1st (03:30) and Naysmith after Hearts' 2nd (11:00).

Tell you what though, with today's 'trial by social media' if we'd lost that game then Pressley would've been slaughtered for that, ahem, 'clearance' leading to Celtic's 2nd (05:40). Not to mention Wales gifting them posession in the first place for the initial attack. If that had been Damour & Clare? 

It's why I'm seldom hard on youngish centre backs.  Zal was another example.  What makes the difference is if you can get (good player) experience alongside them.

11 hours ago, Ominous said:

Love craig gordon but Niemi is still number 1 for me.

Agreed. I once saw him buying a tin of peaches at the Meadowbank Sainsburys. 

What a great 18 minutes! Thanks for posting that, still bore my son about that day, Colin Cameron, Gary Naismith and Anti Niemi different class.  Stayed in Glasgow until last train home that night and just about managed to avoid a doing.....

The_razors_edge

I was there that day too, still bearing the mental scars of going to Kilmarnock the previous midweek to see us lose in the league cup 🙄 (on my 16th birthday too 🤦🏼‍♂️). Expected a doing and was fearing the worst at 2-0 down. Will never forget Fitzroy Simpson’s performance that day - absolutely outstanding! A great day out 👍🏻

39 minutes ago, The_razors_edge said:

I was there that day too, still bearing the mental scars of going to Kilmarnock the previous midweek to see us lose in the league cup 🙄 (on my 16th birthday too 🤦🏼‍♂️). Expected a doing and was fearing the worst at 2-0 down. Will never forget Fitzroy Simpson’s performance that day - absolutely outstanding! A great day out 👍🏻

Simpson eh... 

Thanks for posting, I was there too.  Confirms what we all knew, Gary Naismith was top drawer, one of the finest left backs that i've seen in maroon.

42 minutes ago, EH11 said:

Thanks for posting, I was there too.  Confirms what we all knew, Gary Naismith was top drawer, one of the finest left backs that i've seen in maroon.

It was no coincidence that we started season 2000-01 fine with him at left back, but then fell apart in October / November (including that 6-2) after he left the club.   Jim Jefferys sacking too.    Craig levein sorted the defence out after the winter break.    Mahe to follow next season 

Edited by Smoked-Glass

Remember this well, my car key snapped in petrol cap at Harthill, had to get recovery back to Edinburgh, Recovery driver was a Celtic fan and giving us it tight when 2-0 down, we were just thinking we maybe dodged a bullet! Couldn’t believe what we were hearing on radio when back home, just gutted that the journey in the recovery truck wasn’t longer! Still got the unused ticket in my box! 

1 hour ago, make a noise said:

Remember this well, my car key snapped in petrol cap at Harthill, had to get recovery back to Edinburgh, Recovery driver was a Celtic fan and giving us it tight when 2-0 down, we were just thinking we maybe dodged a bullet! Couldn’t believe what we were hearing on radio when back home, just gutted that the journey in the recovery truck wasn’t longer! Still got the unused ticket in my box! 

Could you not have just left your car at Harthill and phoned up for a taxi to take you to Glasgow and then back to Harthill after the match?  Then phoned for the recovery truck?  That's what I would have done.  😂

22 hours ago, Debut 4 said:

Your memories spot on. He and Andy Kirk had started to strike up a good partnership and it was Arthur Numan who crocked him as Wales was running through on goal. 

4 hours ago, Disco Ball said:

Your memories spot on. He and Andy Kirk had started to strike up a good partnership and it was Arthur Numan who crocked him as Wales was running through on goal. 

Wales probably booked for diving since it was ibrox. 

Broxburn Jambo
On 16/11/2020 at 12:56, Jamhammer said:

Unbiased commentary from Archie there. Proclaiming Moravcic MOTM after 28 Mins 😀😀

I had forgotten how all the commentators were old firm sycophants even then

That was the one that the official Hearts fans bus didn’t show up for, the ticket office had to refund us the match ticket & had to deal with a load of angry people because we won. Darn. 

😭

22 hours ago, Angel eyes said:

Yeah that was the Tuesday or Wednesday we played them on the Saturday?

The ICT Scottish Cup game was supposed to be played the Saturday before but was postponed due to part of the roof of Celtic Park falling down.

The rearranged game was then played on the Tuesday or Wednesday following the Hearts match. Took the shine of our win off a bit but will remain one of my favourite away wins. Incredible scenes.

On 16/11/2020 at 17:08, Smoked-Glass said:

Later that year we scored 1st and was a screamer.  Sadly got fk 6-1.

Colin Cameron. Got voted goal of the season I think.

7 minutes ago, Super_Hans said:

The ICT Scottish Cup game was supposed to be played the Saturday before but was postponed due to part of the roof of Celtic Park falling down.

The rearranged game was then played on the Tuesday or Wednesday following the Hearts match. Took the shine of our win off a bit but will remain one of my favourite away wins. Incredible scenes.

Okay right  I minded we played after the Caley game  though I do remember part of the stadium coming falling apart...did the two caley fans no start singing to the tune of London Bridge is falling down.......Celtic park is falling down.

Craig Herbertson

Being clearly shoved in the back for the penalty becomes 'looked like he was touched, in the back...' said three times in the commentary.  Brilliant win.

Weakened Offender
6 hours ago, SE16 3LN said:

Incredible result against a Celtic team full of stars. We softened them up for ICT if my memory serves.

We did indeed, they were pumped by ICT four days later with chaotic scenes in the dressing room and the manager sacked shortly afterwards.