Most embarrassing Albums/Singles you have bought.

Greedy Jambo

5 hours ago, Victorian said:

Another early one I bought was Nellie the Elephant by Toy Dolls.

:vrface:

A cracking single! Where's the embarrassment in that?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Greedy Jambo

• Morgan

• frankblack

• superjack

I do have this lurking in my cupboard.  It was actually my uncle's but he gave it to my mum as he was too embarrassed that his mates would see it, him being into Led Zep and heavier bands 🤣

Got a big fold out poster in it too. 🤣

71ThXaUGwgL._SL1500_.jpg

4 hours ago, frankblack said:

As a bairn I was given a 7" of The Birdie Dance, but I'd rather forget about that one.

:facepalm:

I think my first single that I bought was Deutscher Girls by Adam and the Ants.

Was Deutscher Girls not the B side to prince charming? This was my second single.

As a bairn I was given a 7" of The Birdie Dance, but I'd rather forget about that one.

Was Deutscher Girls not the B side to prince charming? This was my second single.

16 minutes ago, superjack said:

Don't think so:

https://www.discogs.com/Adam-And-The-Ants-Prince-Charming/master/63449

Deutscher Girls:

https://www.discogs.com/The-Original-Adam-The-Ants-Deutscher-Girls/master/63441

That is dated at 1982 which seems a bit later, so I'm wondering if I had another Adam and the Ants single before it like Stand and Deliver.

However, as I got older I disowned those records and chucked them out.

I have actually seen Adam Ant a few times live now and he is excellent live, playing a lot of his more punk songs.

5 hours ago, neilnunb said:

I do have this lurking in my cupboard.  It was actually my uncle's but he gave it to my mum as he was too embarrassed that his mates would see it, him being into Led Zep and heavier bands 🤣

71ThXaUGwgL._SL1500_.jpg

I remember that album sleeve.

Purely because it shows, by far, the ugliest ‘pop star’ ever - Stuart ‘Woody’ Wood.

luckyBatistuta
8 hours ago, frankblack said:

Mine was by Adam and the Ants too...bought it from Alan’s record shop

Edited by luckyBatistuta

3 hours ago, frankblack said:

Don't think so:

https://www.discogs.com/Adam-And-The-Ants-Prince-Charming/master/63449

Deutscher Girls:

https://www.discogs.com/The-Original-Adam-The-Ants-Deutscher-Girls/master/63441

That is dated at 1982 which seems a bit later, so I'm wondering if I had another Adam and the Ants single before it like Stand and Deliver.

However, as I got older I disowned those records and chucked them out.

I have actually seen Adam Ant a few times live now and he is excellent live, playing a lot of his more punk songs.

Totally agree with your last paragraph. Prince charming definitely had that song on the b side though.

4 minutes ago, Morgan said:

:nojustno: :nojustno: 

:lol:

i didn't buy it but it was the first I ever owned! My first purchase was a bit better - Manics' Everything Must Go

this is my worst purchase

image.png.7748f8b91587899120145848ba56a75b.png

Edited by Homme

4 minutes ago, Homme said:

:lol:

i didn't buy it but it was the first I ever owned! My first purchase was a bit better - Manics' Everything Must Go

this is my worst purchase

image.png.7748f8b91587899120145848ba56a75b.png

Manics one is cool, Homme.  👍

As for Sean Paul.  :vrface:

1 minute ago, Morgan said:

Manics one is cool, Homme.  👍

As for Sean Paul.  :vrface:

One of those ones you can't explain. Like the decision was quite clearly made to pick up the copy from the shelf, take it to the counter and hand over hard earned.

6 minutes ago, Homme said:

One of those ones you can't explain. Like the decision was quite clearly made to pick up the copy from the shelf, take it to the counter and hand over hard earned.

If it’s confession time, I bought a second-hand Mud album when I was about 24 years old.

I bought it in Cockburn Street.

I was drunk from the night before.

Don't challenge my story!  😎

The White Cockade
11 hours ago, Victorian said:

I seem to remember the first couple of singles I bought were Kool in the Kaftan and Knocked it off by B.A.Robertson.  

:vrface:

B.A.Robertson is one of three Brian Robertson's in the music industry of virtually the same age,  born 1955 or 1956.  Brian Robertson of Thin Lizzy and Motorhead,  Brian James (born Robertson) of The Damned and Lords of the New Church.  

Bought them as well!

The White Cockade

Think my first single bought my dad got me when I was still a bairn was a pink vinyl 45 of Pinky and Perky 😱Must have been no later than about 1970

3 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Mine was by Adam and the Ants too...bought it from Alan’s record shop

Excellent debut album.  Put it on earlier.

I had a bit of a crisis of musical confidence in the early 80's and bought a couple of Level 42 singles, Turn it On, Sun goes down. And a live album which was a bit self indulgent Physical Presence I think it was called. Might give it a whirl on Spotify later actually.

13 hours ago, The White Cockade said:

Think my first single bought my dad got me when I was still a bairn was a pink vinyl 45 of Pinky and Perky 😱Must have been no later than about 1970

I had a bog standard black vinyl Pinky and Perky single. One side had a song called Rosetta are you Better on it.

21 hours ago, redjambo said:

A cracking single! Where's the embarrassment in that?

As is Deidre's a slag! Brilliant lyrics.

To my dying shame I bought a Toyah album once, Sheep Farming in Barnet, from Phoenix Records (I think that's what it was called) in Frederick Street. I took it back the same day as it was so sh*te. Big John (fae the Exploited) wouldn't give me a full refund so I swapped it for the Rescue 12 inch by Echo and the Bunnymen.

On 15/11/2020 at 22:51, Morgan said:

This thread is, of course, purely opinion based and thus, no opinion given can be taken as correct/incorrect.

False. We owned the Ketchup Song in my house when I was younger. To say that it was ****ing dire (in retrospect, 7 year old me thought it was class) is possibly the most accurate statement on this entire site

I also had 'We're on the march wi Ally's army. By Andy Cameron.

The 'B' side was ' I want to be a punk rocker but my Mammy will'ny let me'.

My daughter played that for hours on end, drove me and the wife daft !

On 15/11/2020 at 21:30, Greedy Jambo said:

I went on holiday to magaluf the year that came out with 2 mates. Hit the boozers on the 1st night and this came on. We just looked at each other as everyone else did "the dance" that accompanied it with a wtf look. 

2 weeks later, we all went home with the tape of it. 🤦🏼‍♂️

I P Knightley
14 hours ago, bairdy said:

I also had 'We're on the march wi Ally's army. By Andy Cameron.

The 'B' side was ' I want to be a punk rocker but my Mammy will'ny let me'.

My daughter played that for hours on end, drove me and the wife daft !

That went high in the UK charts, didn't it? I must have had it 'cos I remember the punk rocker B side (and can even recite the chorus in my head :( )

14 hours ago, chubby1973 said:

I went on holiday to magaluf the year that came out with 2 mates. Hit the boozers on the 1st night and this came on. We just looked at each other as everyone else did "the dance" that accompanied it with a wtf look. 

2 weeks later, we all went home with the tape of it. 🤦🏼‍♂️

Haha

luckyBatistuta
On 17/11/2020 at 01:49, frankblack said:

Excellent debut album.  Put it on earlier.

Got in the car yesterday to take my boys to school and turned on the stereo and...AntMusic. I couldn’t believe it was on after just talking about them on here. They had to listen to it cranked to the max😁

Fxxx the SPFL

Jilted John and Toast most embarrassing that i bought, however my first ever single was Telstar by the Tornadoes  early sixties when i was a nipper we were on holiday in Torquay and there was a jukebox in the café and it had the record on with a picture of a rocket in the sky i loved the tune and my parents got me the single which i still have today aaah the memories

On 17/11/2020 at 14:42, Jibbers said:

To my dying shame I bought a Toyah album once, Sheep Farming in Barnet, from Phoenix Records (I think that's what it was called) in Frederick Street. I took it back the same day as it was so sh*te. Big John (fae the Exploited) wouldn't give me a full refund so I swapped it for the Rescue 12 inch by Echo and the Bunnymen.

That Toyah album has been reissued on Cherry Red records.  Just in case you are interested? 🤔

https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/toyah-sheep-farming-in-barnet-2cd-1dvd-deluxe-edition/

I ordered the Iggy and the Stooges, Buzzcocks and Fraternity box sets.

Fraternity was Bon Scott's previous band.

7 hours ago, CJGJ said:

I never promised you a Rose Garden   Lynn Anderson

A waste of the weekly 'allowance'

No reason to be melancholy about that......

On 16/11/2020 at 16:57, neilnunb said:

71ThXaUGwgL._SL1500_.jpg

I bought the Rollin LP, 😏, i was 14.

9 hours ago, Craig_ said:

Had a brief grunge phase circa 1991 and made the fatal error of buying a Pearl Jam record. Still cringe about it to this day! 

Nothing wrong with Pearl Jam.  Still massive worldwide and selling out stadiums and headlining major festivals.

On 16/11/2020 at 13:38, frankblack said:

Ooh that’s a belter from the archives that 👍🏻👍🏻

On 16/11/2020 at 18:26, superjack said:

Prince Charming was the first album I purchased, having two older brothers who kept me supplied up til then. 

Still have a soft spot for it. 

23 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Prince Charming was the first album I purchased, having two older brothers who kept me supplied up til then. 

Still have a soft spot for it. 

Kings of the Wild Frontier was my first album.  Looking back after listening to his stuff again in the last 15 years that is a classic.

Dirk Wears White Sox also stands up well whereas Prince Charming is a bit dated IMO. 

On 17/11/2020 at 14:42, Jibbers said:

Toyah was and still is great. 😀

On 21/11/2020 at 18:27, frankblack said:

Nothing wrong with Pearl Jam.  Still massive worldwide and selling out stadiums and headlining major festivals.

I was lucky enough to see them on one of thier first tours in the UK, small venues like Glasgow Cathouse and similar sized places, me and a few mates were really there to see The Claytown Troupe who supported them. I've  never been to see them since and don't like arena gigs so will probably vever see them again, but they're a fantastic band.