1970s disaster movies.

superjack

Not sure about everyone else on here, but I love a 1970s disaster film. Currently watching earthquake from 1974. I think I'll look for the another once it is finished. What is everyone elses favourite?

The Omega Man,  1971,  Charlton Heston.  2nd of 3 adaptations of I Am Legend by Richard Matheson.  Post apocalyptic world after a deadly pandemic.  Always loved this film and Heston is one of my favourite actors.  

3 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

Towering Inferno is THE go-to 70s disaster movie. 

There’s a great story, possibly not true, that Steve McQueen got his script and then counted how many lines he had and how many Paul Newman had and insisted he got more lines as Newman had more than him. 

Weakened Offender
8 minutes ago, Tazio said:

There’s a great story, possibly not true, that Steve McQueen got his script and then counted how many lines he had and how many Paul Newman had and insisted he got more lines as Newman had more than him. 

There was a another story about cinemas turning the heating up gradually as the movie proggresed. 😀

1 minute ago, Weakened Offender said:

There was a another story about cinemas turning the heating up gradually as the movie proggresed. 😀

And if Earthquake was in the same cinema building you could feel the floor rumbling when you went to see other films.  

37 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Towering Inferno, if that counts, was an absolute cracker of a film. 

36 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Poseidon Adventure for me. 

16 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

Towering Inferno is THE go-to 70s disaster movie. 

It is 1 of these 2 films that I will go for next, love them both.

Weakened Offender
4 minutes ago, superjack said:

The Poseidon Adventure is class too. 

4 minutes ago, superjack said:

Poseidon Adventure was the prototype for Towering Inferno. People trapped and trying to escape, except it was a ship instead of a building. Same writer and producer I think. A bit more humour in Poseidon though I’d say. 

49 minutes ago, Tazio said:

And if Earthquake was in the same cinema building you could feel the floor rumbling when you went to see other films.  

I watched that movie in Blackpool with the floor rumbling.

Scary as.The amount of adults lighting up cigarettes when it started rumbling was unreal.😃

1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

1 hour ago, Tazio said:

Towering Inferno for me as it had more really tense moments.  Poseidon Adventure was good, but I thought after the boat turned over (spoiler alert!!) it was a bit anti-climactic.

2 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Watched that the other day, Bloody brilliant.

I liked Juggernaut, the film about bombs on a cruise ship, with Richard Harris as the bomb disposal expert. I think it might that film which was first with the 'Cut the blue wire' routine.

Салатные палочки
10 hours ago, been here before said:

Aye The Towering Inferno is the the daddy

:laugh2:

"Hawd oan the noo the buildings on fire". 

Not watched the Poseidon Adventure for years. Loved it as a kid.  Couldn’t beat the vibe of a 70s movie. It’s hard to explain.

Talking of 70s movies and diverting from genre briefly(apologies), I watched Marathon Man yesterday.  I’m 46 and can’t believe I’d never watched it before!  Fine movie.

11 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

I liked Juggernaut, the film about bombs on a cruise ship, with Richard Harris as the bomb disposal expert. I think it might that film which was first with the 'Cut the blue wire' routine.

Haha, yer bringing it all back mate. Another film I’ve not seen for donks.

Visions of RH pishing of sweat deciding what wire to snip? Can see myself going on a very big memory lane trip soon with a 70s movie marathon. 😀

12 hours ago, adambraejambo said:

The Cassandra Crossing. That's my personal fav. 

Forgot about that 1, another belter.

Sawdust Caesar

The best ones have been named already so I'll pop for Rollercoaster, mainly cos I like George Segal. Another one is Skyjacked with Charlton Heston

There was one about folk stuck up in a cable car. Can't remember what it was called, but Stephanie Powers was in it. Come to think of it, there might have been more that one about cable cars.

10 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

There was one about folk stuck up in a cable car. Can't remember what it was called, but Stephanie Powers was in it. Come to think of it, there might have been more that one about cable cars.

Was it hanging by a thread? Either that or hanging by a wire.

1 minute ago, superjack said:

Was it hanging by a thread? Either that or hanging by a wire.

Just Googled it and the one Stephanie Powers was in is Skyway to Death. There was another called Hanging by a Thread though. 👍

4 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

Just Googled it and the one Stephanie Powers was in is Skyway to Death. There was another called Hanging by a Thread though. 👍

Don't remember skyway to death. Looks like I will have 2 weeks self isolating starting on saturday, so I will check it out.

4 hours ago, Sawdust Caesar said:

The best ones have been named already so I'll pop for Rollercoaster, mainly cos I like George Segal. Another one is Skyjacked with Charlton Heston

Rollercoaster, had the Sparks in it.

On 15/11/2020 at 19:49, Tazio said:

There was also Beyond the Poseidon Adventure, which wasn't quite as good. 

4 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

There was also Beyond the Poseidon Adventure, which wasn't quite as good. 

Very rare where sequels are as good. That one reminded me of the film Raise The Titanic. Think it was Lew Grade after realising how much money it had cost saying it would have been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!. Anyway, not a disaster movie but The China Syndrome was class.

15 minutes ago, JWL said:

Very rare where sequels are as good. That one reminded me of the film Raise The Titanic. Think it was Lew Grade after realising how much money it had cost saying it would have been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!. Anyway, not a disaster movie but The China Syndrome was class.

China Syndrome came out in cinemas TWELVE DAYS before the 3-Mile Island disaster.

I P Knightley
On 16/11/2020 at 15:08, Cade said:

Earthquake was good, if only for Victoria Principle's paps.

Those paps brought me back to Dallas every week ( o Y o )

4 hours ago, Cade said:

China Syndrome came out in cinemas TWELVE DAYS before the 3-Mile Island disaster.

Knew it was around that time but never knew it was so close to the actual 3-Mile Island episode. Used to enjoy the Doug McClure films when I was young. Not so much disaster, more adventure but thoroughly enjoyable all the same.