****Slovakia vs Scotland**** Match Thread

Riddley Walker

1 hour ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Could do with not losing this as we need 2 points to win group. 

Provan misses deflection but he misses most things so not surprised. 

Aye, blaming CG for the goal. Missed the deflection off Kenny  Mclean which left him flat footed. If it had been ex-Celt Marshall, he would have just been unlucky.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• Mikey1874

• TyphoonJambo

• sadj

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can’t remember the last time Scotland had so many chances to score. I know it’s concerning they weren’t put away but the signs are definitely good. McB is tosh though! 

23 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

We play some nice stuff now. If Mcburnie wasn't so pish, the b team would have won easily there. 

Good to watch are Scotland. Need to start to Bury teams, tho. 

There's a definite noticeable difference in the style of pass and move.   Works well when the right players in their positions and not reserve hopefuls.    Enjoyed it that much.   

Just now, Baxfee said:

Can’t remember the last time Scotland had so many chances to score. I know it’s concerning they weren’t put away but the signs are definitely good. McB is tosh though! 

He is and thumb looks unfit and a waste of space as well.

Played well enough but the final ball in or the final touch in the penalty area was poor.

A_A wehatethehibs

Hope Clarke sees sense and brings Naismith into the fold. Inexperience switch-off cost us the last min goal against Serbia and inexperience cost us the points today, we should not have lost that today and with a bit more experience on the pitch I don’t think we would have lost that one today. 

Just think that’s the one tweak we could make to improve this young squad, add a bit of experienced composure, ability to win fouls, mentally get to the opposition, that competitiveness and football intellect which Naismith brings that the other forwards do not bring. 

From a Hearts point of view it’s better that Naismith gets frozen out, means he’s fresher for us. I’d rather he gets the summer off after we get promoted, he’ll be important for us when we get back promoted. But from Scotland’s point of view, think he really should be brought into the next squad looking at the lack of intellect in most of our forward options. 

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

A draw tonight between Czechia and Israel sees Scotland win the group. Sorry if posted already or if stating the obvious.

Edited by Flimsy

The Mighty Thor

Poor management from Clarke. 

Win today job done. Nope bring out the shite and heap the pressure on to Wednesday on an already tired team. Genius.

Lyndon Dykes pulls that whole team up by 10 yards with his energy. Without him we could have played all day without scoring. 

Griffiths looks like he spent lockdown shop lifting sweeties.

2 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Win today job done. Nope bring out the shite and heap the pressure on to Wednesday on an already tired team. Genius.

Lyndon Dykes pulls that whole team up by 10 yards with his energy. Without him we could have played all day without scoring. 

Who were "the shite" that were brought out? Bear in mind that Dykes was suspended anyway.

The Mighty Thor
9 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

Who were "the shite" that were brought out? Bear in mind that Dykes was suspended anyway.

I'm aware he was suspended. 

McBurnie should never have started that game. He offers nothing. Palmer and Considine were poor. 

The top sides don't make 8 changes. They go win the game and win the group. 

Clarke shat it.  

6 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

McBurnie should never have started that game. He offers nothing. Palmer and Considine were poor. 

Clarke shat it.  

I agree about McBurnie, but unfortunately the alternatives aren't any better, aside from Griffiths who hasn't started a game in god knows how long.

Palmer isn't a significant downgrade on O'Donnell and one of them played almost 120 minutes the other night. Considine is clearly not as good as McTominay, but he wasn't the reason we lost the game either. We lost because we didn't take one of the several chances created.

Based on how the game went, we could easily have fielded the same XI as Thursday night (minus Dykes and Robertson) and had the same result. In that case we'd have been going into the Israel game needing to win with our best players more fatigued than they'd otherwise have been. It was sensible to use the squad and make changes to the team without weakening it significantly, which is what he did.

willie wallace
1 hour ago, gashauskis9 said:

Timid back three, Tierney negative at WB, McGinn never in the game.

Only heard the after match comments on the radio.

They all reckoned Tierney was the best man on the park.

I thought we played well. We lost an unlucky crappy goal. 

Had a few chances we didn't take. McBurnie was shite but there wasn't enough crosses or quality deliveries from wide areas that play to his strengths. 

We miss Dykes. 

Griffiths when he came on looked rusty as ****. Reckon if he was on form he'd maybe have tested the keeper better.

Ryan Christie was superb as usual. He can play EPL level now imo. He needs the move so he doesn't stall in his progression.

1 minute ago, dobmisterdobster said:

19:45

Currently falling asleep watching Wales vs Ireland on S4C

Cheers mate, Ill grab a beer before watching the close of that then

8 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

McBurnie is just too ponderous and lazy for international football. He's had enough chances now - boy ain't gonna make it...

He literally needs to pull his socks up. 

Just now, Herbert said:

He literally needs to pull his socks up. 

There is a danger he might make it into the Hall of Fame without ever scoring a goal! :Stupid_Heads_by_Vir

50 minutes ago, willie wallace said:

Only heard the after match comments on the radio.

They all reckoned Tierney was the best man on the park.

Armstrong was Scotland’s best player by a distance.  Tierney didn’t put a foot wrong to be fair, but he simply isn’t the driving force and encouraging example that Robertson is.  Tierney’s body is always shaped to pass the ball back or sideways.  Think we missed McTominay’s distribution from the back as well. 

2 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

2 hours ago, DC_92 said:

1 hour ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Clarke shat it.  

:rofl:

2 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Hope Clarke sees sense and brings Naismith into the fold. Inexperience switch-off cost us the last min goal against Serbia and inexperience cost us the points today, we should not have lost that today and with a bit more experience on the pitch I don’t think we would have lost that one today. 

Just think that’s the one tweak we could make to improve this young squad, add a bit of experienced composure, ability to win fouls, mentally get to the opposition, that competitiveness and football intellect which Naismith brings that the other forwards do not bring. 

From a Hearts point of view it’s better that Naismith gets frozen out, means he’s fresher for us. I’d rather he gets the summer off after we get promoted, he’ll be important for us when we get back promoted. But from Scotland’s point of view, think he really should be brought into the next squad looking at the lack of intellect in most of our forward options. 

I note your point about Naismith. I get it. However, he is desperate to get back into the squad and I hope he does. It will also help encourage youngsters coming to Hearts to see what is achievable and is fantastic credibility for the club to have players selected for their country. It helps to promote Heart of Midlothian.

Posted on the Serbia thread earlier by mistake.

Clarke clearly looked at the two games we had left, and as we needed one win, decided to prioritise the Israel game as the best chance of that. Most of the first choices played 120 minutes in midweek, so he decided to rest them and have them fresh for the second game. Yes, another approach would have been to go all out for the win today and the Israel game might not have mattered, but  equally, we might still have lost and the players would be more tired v Israel. Both are valid tactically.

We’re still in a strong position. Beat Israel and we win the group. Even if we don’t, the Czechs have to win both of their games or we still win the group.

Captain Scarlett
47 minutes ago, Clerry Jambo said:

Boycey and smithy both start for Ireland 

Washington too plus Lafferty kicking about. Hearts connections with NI in the last few years pretty good.

Watched the highlights of the NI game - Austin McCann sent off and Boyce missed a sitter! 🙈

9 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

If Clarke takes McBurnie over Steven Naismith to the Euros he has lost the plot. Steven Naismith is ten times the player. 

Be better off just drawing names out of the hat from every bloke between the ages of 16 and 40 in Scotland, than relying on McBurnie. 

****ing hopeless "footballer" and a complete dickhead into the bargain. 

16 hours ago, ri Alban said:

We play some nice stuff now. If Mcburnie wasn't so pish, the b team would have won easily there. 

Good to watch are Scotland. Need to start to Bury teams, tho. 

This sums it up perfectly for me.

17 hours ago, andythejambo said:

Aye, blaming CG for the goal. Missed the deflection off Kenny  Mclean which left him flat footed. If it had been ex-Celt Marshall, he would have just been unlucky.

Hearts player - quick to criticise 

Ex Celtic player - quick to excuse

10 hours ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Watched the highlights of the NI game - Austin McCann sent off and Boyce missed a sitter! 🙈

I think he could have been angry about the first Austrian goal.   From the header it looked offside by a foot.   They didn't show a proper line from a replay.  

Saw a lot of people jumping on the being too harsh on McBurnie. He’s a £20m striker being outdone by a £1m striker. 

I think we could have played all day and he’d still not have scored. He’s not a target man but should be doing so much better.

Clarke should be looking at how Swansea player to get 22 goals out of him in a season and trying to factor that in. 

Imo Griffiths is 2nd choice to Dykes. A genuine goal threat.