Dave Mackay's birthday today

EH11_2NL

9 minutes ago, Australis said:

Hearts legend.

I so wish I had seen him play for the Hearts.

Spurs and Derby fans love and miss him to.

Absolutely. Would love to have seen the terrible trio too. 

24 minutes ago, Australis said:

Hearts legend.

I so wish I had seen him play for the Hearts.

Spurs and Derby fans love and miss him to.

The addition of MacKay and Cumming to our midfield transformed Hearts from a very good team to the cup-winning, league-winning powerhouse of the 1950s. 

12 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Tears in my eyes at his funeral cortege. 

Remember popping out during lunchtime along princes street and caught the cortège many other people obviously out to see it aswell. Dad who was a massive Jambo just passed away the other week and loved Davie, many of his Hearts stories were about him.

Edited by Clerry Jambo

William H. Bonney
14 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Tears in my eyes at his funeral cortege. 

i went to tynecastle to watch the funeral cortège. Remember thinking what an awful turn out. Only about a dozen of us...

I went on the wrong day. Daft bugger. 

Edited by Furious Styles

been here before
24 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Why is Billy Bremner a ‘wee toerag’?  🤷🏿‍♂️ 

MacKay thought Bremner was out of order as he had kicked him a few times on the leg he'd broken twice and was just coming back from at the time. And he's got a tail.

El Tel on the left there

4 minutes ago, been here before said:

MacKay thought Bremner was out of order as he had kicked him a few times on the leg he'd broken twice and was just coming back from at the time. And he's got a tail.

El Tel on the left there

Didn’t know that story, thanks.

El Tel still tan, all year round then?

been here before
12 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Didn’t know that story, thanks.

El Tel still tan, all year round then?

From an interview in 2015...

“I get asked to autograph that photo all the time,” he said a few years ago. “But I don’t like it, because it portrays me as a bully – he’s smaller than me and I’m picking him up. I’m not a bully and don’t like bullies.

“He was a brilliant little player but a dirty little b******. He kicked me in the leg I’d just come back from breaking twice. If he’d kicked the other one I could have accepted that. But he kicked the broken one and that really annoyed me. I could’ve killed him that day.”

Shanks said no
2 hours ago, Clerry Jambo said:

Remember popping out during lunchtime along princes street and caught the cortège many other people obviously out to see it aswell. Dad who was a massive Jambo just passed away the other week and loved Davie, many of his Hearts stories were about him.

Clerry sorry to hear of your loss

I went to pay my respects at Haymarket, it was probably the first "funeral" I had been to after my dad passed and knowing how much he respected Dave made it emotional for me, I felt I was there to represent him.

How solid were footballers in those days? Built like rugby players are nowadays - and when you see rugby players from the 70s, they were built like today's footballers!

Met him at the Portrait Gallery when they did the best ever Scotland team unveiling

Very kindly signed the poster of him I had and chatted away

14 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Clerry sorry to hear of your loss

I went to pay my respects at Haymarket, it was probably the first "funeral" I had been to after my dad passed and knowing how much he respected Dave made it emotional for me, I felt I was there to represent him.

Thanks bud

4 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

I would really like that Billy Bremner photo. Does anyone know where I can get a colour version, framed if possible?

Try pineterest.com