Albion Rovers manager looking for league reconstruction

queensferryjambo

24 minutes ago, Rave MacPherson said:

Was it the manager that voted against league reconstruction? 

Irrelevant! .. if a manager/coach is in the media discussing his points of view regarding the rules or governance of the game he is involved in then he is speaking for the club, it happens in jobs right across the spectrum  or else he would be disciplined

Edited by Maroon 1874

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Riccarton3

• Nookie Bear

• Mikey1874

• JDK2020

9 minutes ago, Rave MacPherson said:

I think it is pretty relevant. He is expressing his view, not that of the club. He wasn't the one that voted against reconstruction therefore he isn't being hypocritical. 

Stepping on the clubs toes or is speaking for the club, I know where I would put my money

30 minutes ago, Rave MacPherson said:

I think it is pretty relevant. He is expressing his view, not that of the club. He wasn't the one that voted against reconstruction therefore he isn't being hypocritical. 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/albion-rovers-gaffers-birthday-relief-22198675.amp

queensferryjambo
1 hour ago, Rave MacPherson said:

Was it the manager that voted against league reconstruction? 

No obviously not.

I very much doubt the club chairman at a club that size wouldn't take his managers point of view on board though. Since they are effectively smaller than some bowling clubs in Scotland and worse run.

The point of this thread isn't about who voted it is clearly the hypocrisy of the manager due to his previous comments in the press on all of the subjects and his previous very strong opinions. 

His opinions were very clear and he was very vocal in the press that he didn't want league reconstruction. 

4 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

And there you have it 👍🏻

my point Nookie is that he spoke with the media with the clubs full knowledge and NOT off his own back

7 minutes ago, Rave MacPherson said:

How do you know that? 

1 hour ago, Maroon 1874 said:

Irrelevant! .. if a manager/coach is in the media discussing his points of view regarding the rules or governance of the game he is involved in then he is speaking for the club, it happens in jobs right across the spectrum  or else he would be disciplined

I don't but its a pretty well calculated guess ... are we going round in circles here? 😳 my Sunday dinner is ready and THAT is more important 👍

Edited by Maroon 1874

Guest ToqueJambo
14 minutes ago, Rave MacPherson said:

What do we have? A manager saying he is glad his club dont have to travel a long distance for a game? And that makes him a hypocrite? 

That article does not give his stance on reconstruction, does it? 

He said in the most recent article he thought last season wasn’t the time for reconstruction so he was against it and now isn’t because its his club in trouble.

queensferryjambo
4 minutes ago, Rave MacPherson said:

What were his previous comments about reconstruction? 

You have already read them, choose to ignore them and have instead chosen to argue round and round in circles.

Anyone can read that Record article and the comments in it and see how happy he was when reconstruction failed - apart from you obviously ;) 

Guest ToqueJambo
29 minutes ago, Rave MacPherson said:

Have you got a link to that? 

It's the link to the article being discussed!

""If there was ever a reason to look at league reconstruction it should be this season, not last season with the way things are now. There's more reason to look at it now than there was last season."

The worst part is when he says this: ""I don't think it is fair for anyone - ourselves or Brechin or any team - to be in that position."

Brechin were on the board and voted themselves out of danger, then voted against reconstruction that wouldn't have affected them in the slightest but would have redressed the balance by allowing promotion to the SPFL. If any team has NOT been treated unfairly in this whole thing it's Brechin. Reid knows all this. 

Edited by ToqueJambo

15 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

It's the link to the article being discussed!

""If there was ever a reason to look at league reconstruction it should be this season, not last season with the way things are now. There's more reason to look at it now than there was last season."

The worst part is when he says this: ""I don't think it is fair for anyone - ourselves or Brechin or any team - to be in that position."

Brechin were on the board and voted themselves out of danger, then voted against reconstruction that wouldn't have affected them in the slightest but would have redressed the balance by allowing promotion to the SPFL. If any team has NOT been treated unfairly in this whole thing it's Brechin. Reid knows all this. 

When you see these people coming away with this sort of stuff, you realise that they really don’t know their arse from their elbow. I hope they all go to the wall.

2 hours ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

Got a link to the article? 

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/apr/01/junior-football-scotland-ruin-senior-leagues

also suggest reading

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/nov/17/football-hampden-roar-scotland-plastic-pitches

both are excellent summaries of the pathetic state of football in Scotland and the role of the wee clubs in controlling the game.

6 hours ago, Deid Heid said:

Awww, what a shame, poor rats...goodbye and thanks for nothing. No one will mourn you demise, nor notice your passing into the annals of football inconsequentiality. 138 years old, sum contribution to Scottish football...ZERO

Prior to Good Friday, I may have been a bit more supportive but their subsequent actions have shown them up to be (along with dozens of other diddy clubs), back-stabbing, shite-bag rats. 

We exterminate vermin, your nasty little club should be destroyed. Feck 'em and anyone that looks like them.

This 👍

Like many on here my view on these clubs changed from Good Friday on, I have zero sympathy for these clubs who were keen to put other clubs in peril with their self interests and illogical reasoning, it is a joke now they are changing their tune and want help from others, I hope they all die! 

3 minutes ago, gator said:

Like many on here my view on these clubs changed from Good Friday on, I have zero sympathy for these clubs who were keen to put other clubs in peril with their self interests and illogical reasoning, it is a joke now they are changing their tune and want help from others, I hope they all die! 

In a nutshell 👍🏻

Brechin City are historically the worst team in the SFL/SPFL over the past decades.  No team has had more bottom finishes than them yet their Ken Ferguson is on the board of both the SFA and SPFL.  If they finish bottom of L2 again this season then expect shenanigans to keep them from dropping out of the SPFL.

ps Brechin is not even a city just a burgh in Angus.  Similar to Elgin, not having city status.

8 minutes ago, gator said:

553EAD52-7AB6-495C-89CB-B546B4D197B2.png

8 minutes ago, Tasavallan said:

Brechin City are historically the worst team in the SFL/SPFL over the past decades.  No team has had more bottom finishes than them yet their Ken Ferguson is on the board of both the SFA and SPFL.  If they finish bottom of L2 again this season then expect shenanigans to keep them from dropping out of the SPFL.

ps Brechin is not even a city just a burgh in Angus.  Similar to Elgin, not having city status.

Was East Stirling for a while. 

Despite a little, brief resurgence the inevitable happened. 

25 minutes ago, gator said:

Well put 

On 14/11/2020 at 16:27, merseyjambo said:

They were and I’m not sympathetic to their whining now but I can understand that for clubs like them, Annan, Stranraer etc, including Brora would mean 6 trips a year to the Highlands and Islands. From a cost perspective for clubs like that it can’t be easy.

Now is the time to start talking about reconstruction not 6 weeks before the season starts.

There is a real opportunity to open out the lower levels of Scottish Football and reduce costs for these part time clubs. This could also benefit us by expansion of top league and putting colts teams into the bottom league.

No sympathy for them except that the SFA should be helping with travel costs for these things.

Guest ToqueJambo
39 minutes ago, Rave MacPherson said:

So he isnt a hypocrite then

Aye OK then. Happy to see other clubs screwed over last season. Not happy to see his screwed over this season.

1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

Was East Stirling for a while. 

Despite a little, brief resurgence the inevitable happened. 

Yep, for one season in the 60s ES Clydebank, even then SFL shenanigans to get junior club Clydebank promoted by back door to the seniors.

"If there was ever a reason to look at league reconstruction it should be this season, not last season with the way things are now."

You couldn't make it up.

22 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

"If there was ever a reason to look at league reconstruction it should be this season, not last season with the way things are now."

You couldn't make it up.

None of this should be surprising to us though after what has been said and done since the league was halted!

4 hours ago, Tasavallan said:

Last season Brechin City were abusing their position on the boards to ensure that, if they got relegated, they would drop into the Lowland League and not the Highland League. There is actually a definition, a geographical line of latitude, which defines this and it is along the centre of the River Tay.

That didn't suit Brechin because, apparantly, their players are recuited from, and train in, the Central Belt and it would be easier for them to play Lowland League. Brechin had the whole of non league football by the chuckies as the Lowland League needed SFA endorsement to bring the West of Scotland Junior teams into the LL Pyramid set up. Think this through. Their shitty team get relegated on merit. Rather than "take their medicine", adapt to that, recruit locally, re-invent themselves and climb back up their solution was carry on regardless.

Brechin were happy to abuse that position by making their support for the new West of Scotland League contingent on them getting their way if they were relegated.

**** Brechin. Hope they go down and kick around the Highland League for their remaining future.

1 minute ago, RobboM said:

Last season Brechin City were abusing their position on the boards to ensure that, if they got relegated, they would drop into the Lowland League and not the Highland League. There is actually a definition, a geographical line of latitude, which defines this and it is along the centre of the River Tay.

That didn't suit Brechin because, apparantly, their players are recuited from, and train in, the Central Belt and it would be easier for them to play Lowland League. Brechin had the whole of non league football by the chuckies as the Lowland League needed SFA endorsement to bring the West of Scotland Junior teams into the LL Pyramid set up. Think this through. Their shitty team get relegated on merit. Rather than "take their medicine", adapt to that, recruit locally, re-invent themselves and climb back up their solution was carry on regardless.

Brechin were happy to abuse that position by making their support for the new West of Scotland League contingent on them getting their way if they were relegated.

**** Brechin. Hope they go down and kick around the Highland League for their remaining future.

Yep spot on.

Had an nice old aunt from Brechin so they were always my second team.

My dear old aunt is gone, and hopefully Brechin will be joining her soon.

SectionDJambo

All of the clubs, big and small, rich and poor, had the ideal chance to reorganise the leagues to reflect their current geographical and financial status.

They could have looked at creating regional divisions, expanding division numbers, helping all the clubs plan to survive. Instead they sentenced 3 clubs to, as they thought, taking the entire hit for the rest of them.

Those 3 clubs were told there “have to be winners and losers”, “you’ll have to take your medicine” and “this is not the right time for reconstruction”, as well as other excuses for the blatant spite and self preservation of many, not a few.

They are now about to reap the results of their actions, and their answer is to suggest more self preservation and corruption to preserve those clubs who attract less fans than seagulls in their grounds, under normal circumstances.

I wouldn’t like to see clubs go bust, but there is no reason why quite a few of them can’t to be told the protection racket has gone and it’s time for a major reconstruction of the professional leagues, with no place for a good number of them.

4 hours ago, Tasavallan said:

But they both have cathedrals so I think they can use city in their names

Doctor FinnBarr
1 hour ago, Blackshades said:

But they both have cathedrals so I think they can use city in their names

Its a ruin in Elgin though, not been a place of worship for hundreds of years. No idea about Brechin.

SomethingAboutObua

What a ****ing joke. He says himself they're dealing with the same issues as everyone else, so if you're last after getting to play your full ****ing fixture list, you're surely last on merit?

Half the League 1 and 2 sides should be in regional leagues anyway, the other half should be in an 18 team national league with the ambitious LL and HL teams like Kelty and Brora. Get Rovers down, Elgin down, Brechin down and whoever else needs to **** off and join them. 

3 hours ago, merrymac said:

Yep spot on.

Had an nice old aunt from Brechin so they were always my second team.

My dear old aunt is gone, and hopefully Brechin will be joining her soon.

lol

2 hours ago, SectionDJambo said:

I wouldn’t like to see clubs go bust, but there is no reason why quite a few of them can’t to be told the protection racket has gone and it’s time for a major reconstruction of the professional leagues, with no place for a good number of them.

There is a reason : they are part of a clique who are quite prepared to dutifully kiss the arses of Doncaster and Lawwell whenever they are requested to do so to ensure there is sufficient support to make certain things happen, or not happen, whatever the case, knowing that in return their own interests will be suitably looked after when required.

I always thought there was more chance of reconstruction this season rather than last. There will be more teams coming out with this sort of statement over the coming months.

1 minute ago, King prawn said:

He’s spouting this nonsense after rejecting last season over the cost of a couple of buses ? :rofl: Unbelievable. 

And supplying a lunch to his players on the trip. Professional football eh.

SectionDJambo
7 hours ago, JDK2020 said:

There is a reason : they are part of a clique who are quite prepared to dutifully kiss the arses of Doncaster and Lawwell whenever they are requested to do so to ensure there is sufficient support to make certain things happen, or not happen, whatever the case, knowing that in return their own interests will be suitably looked after when required.

I meant their is no proper reason, or reason that isn't based on corruption or protectionism.

26 minutes ago, Rave MacPherson said:

>sigh< how do you know he was happy to see other clubs screwed over? 

😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴

2 hours ago, Rave MacPherson said:

Maybe because his club voted for it, when a sensible alternative could have been chosen.

2 hours ago, Rave MacPherson said:

for one, by him saying he was happy not to have to travel to Brora, he is saying he is happy to screw over Brora (and Kelty Hearts) by denying these clubs the chance to join the SPFL as part of reconstruction, as well as part of the pyramid playoff process.

You could read that article all the way down and each paragraph go 'but you were prepared to unfairly punish other clubs and each time voted against fairness'

His differential arguement this year is that he doen't have a big enough squad to cope with Covid in his team and that's not fair so there should be reconstruction to save these teams.

If anything, again, the SPFL did no 'what if' scenario planning and get clubs to not just buy into, but be bound by the outcomes or consequences. 

Change will only take place for the benefit of one club and only one club 

Watch the squealing if Rangers threaten their number 1 status.  That and the sex abuse case has the potential to bring them down to their knees

Club chairmen/boards will only ever look after the interests of their club.  This is totally expectable.  If I was a supporter of a club, I would be extremely angry if the turkeys voted for Christmas.

Where it all falls down is when the SPL and SFL amalgamated they introduced a 75% pass by all 42 clubs.  Regardless of the question posed, 75% would never be achieved as most chairmen would vote NO or abstain, unless it was to give clubs more money for nothing.  Whatever did happen to James Anderson's donation?