All in one computer

sinks

Wife wants all in one computer.

I know absolutely nothing about computers.

Budget £900/£1000

Any help re make or system would be greatly appreciated

I'd get a laptop with external screen so you have the best of both worlds.

HP ProBook 450 15.6" laptop (500GB storage, reasonable specs/peformance) - £762

c06455834_209x189.jpg

https://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=8VU66EA&opt=ABU&sel=NTB

HP 24" screen (built in speakers and webcam) - £195

c05808095_209x189.jpg

https://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=1FH48AT&opt=ABU&sel=MTO

Various brands of keyboard/mice for £20-£30.

Or you could spend the entire £1k budget on a new Apple 13" MacBook Air and fund an external screen later.

A Mac might be a bit more user friendly if you live inside Apple's walled garden (like their iPhones and iPads) where you can by default only install apps from their approved store.

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/buy-mac/macbook-air

Mac_fae_Gillie

Been using HP all in ones for last 10years, (3 PCs) present one too old to give advice but got 24 inch screen good for watching Netflix/Amazon or playing games and takes up bugger all space compared to tower type, suggest get 1 with a DVD drive though as not all do.

You are generally far better buying separately to get the best overall machine for your budget.

Steering clear of the high street shops is definitely something to consider as the stuff they have on display is bottom end junk that will be obsolete within a year.

A lot depends on the usage you have for a machine.  Touch screens are next to useless on desktops and very inefficient compared to mouse and keyboard if you want to do office work.

Edited by frankblack

57 minutes ago, frankblack said:

You are generally far better buying separately to get the best overall machine for your budget.

Steering clear of the high street shops is definitely something to consider as the stuff they have on display is bottom end junk that will be obsolete within a year.

A lot depends on the usage you have for a machine.  Touch screens are next to useless on desktops and very inefficient compared to mouse and keyboard if you want to do office work.

Thanks for tips guys.

She doesnt want laptop and since lockdown working from home using zoom.

Best going to HP/Dell websites then? 

Not savvy enough to buy separates so probably looking at some package.

2 minutes ago, sinks said:

Thanks for tips guys.

Both Currys and John Lewis sell all-in-ones. What you might want to do is find one or two that you like on their websites and post a link to them on here in order to allow folk to provide feedback on what they think of the specs, or whether they are available elsewhere at better cost.

If she wants an all-in-one, she wants an all-in-one, despite what other posters have suggested, so stick with that.

6 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Both Currys and John Lewis sell all-in-ones. What you might want to do is find one or two that you like on their websites and post a link to them on here in order to allow folk to provide feedback on what they think of the specs, or whether they are available elsewhere at better cost.

If she wants an all-in-one, she wants an all-in-one, despite what other posters have suggested, so stick with that.

Thanks for that...the only problem is that I really dont know anything about them at all and the jargon just passes straight over my head🤨

26 minutes ago, sinks said:

Thanks for that...the only problem is that I really dont know anything about them at all and the jargon just passes straight over my head🤨

You can get desktops too.

For doing zoom calls you need a webcam (typically somewhere around £40).

For audio only, you need a headset (like headphones with a microphone).

Some local shops will build PCs for you too.  Others might be able to recommend some.  For instance Simply Fix It/Ideal Computers.

You will generally get better for your money than buying from a high street store.

Edited by frankblack

3 hours ago, frankblack said:

You can get desktops too.

For doing zoom calls you need a webcam (typically somewhere around £40).

For audio only, you need a headset (like headphones with a microphone).

Some local shops will build PCs for you too.  Others might be able to recommend some.  For instance Simply Fix It/Ideal Computers.

You will generally get better for your money than buying from a high street store.

Thanks FB. I'll give them a call on Monday

5 hours ago, sinks said:

Thanks for tips guys.

I would always recommend a Lenovo all in one. My mrs is the same, doesn't want a laptop. I personally feel you get more for your money with Lenovo.

37 minutes ago, superjack said:

I would always recommend a Lenovo all in one. My mrs is the same, doesn't want a laptop. I personally feel you get more for your money with Lenovo.

You need to compare against desktops too.  I have dual monitors on mine.

Why specifically an all-in-one, and not just a monitor and desktop, both of which are more upgradable than an all-in-one box that you'll pay a premium for?  Like what is the exact reason for her wanting one?

https://www.cclonline.com/pc/gaming-pcs/elite/ccl-elite-gx-gaming-pc/

£650 for a fairly decent desktop with Windows, that will let you do most things outside of top end gaming with ease. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B072ZBX5FV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabt1_PVjSFb35EA3WB

24 inch HP Monitor for £100, so if you're working from home, buy 2.   Couple of HDMI leads, a keyboard and mouse and you've smashed your £1000 budget with ease, and got a better system than any all in one PC for the same price could ever offer. 

PS - I ****ing hate all in one PCs. A Touchscreen that you'll barely ever use because it will sit high up at an awkward angle, in a fairly un-upgradeable set up, that often have issues with overheating, and if anything goes wrong with the screen for example, it's humped.

Edited by tian447