Ryan McGowan - Covid19

Melbourne Jambo

Melbourne Jambo

Ryan has tested positive for Covid, asymptomatic and apparently feeling ok.

He's been training with our youth team whilst in Scotland, hopefully doesn't cause our squad any complications. 

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/sydney-fc-defender-tests-positive-for-covid-19-could-miss-champions-league-20201112-p56e7k.html

Edited by Melbourne Jambo

• Melbourne Jambo changed the title to Ryan McGowan - Covid19

What Champions League are they talking about?

I just hope that nobody at Hearts has caught it from him. And wouldn't his contacts now need to isolate for 14 days?

Edited by upgotheheads

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/sport/football/hearts-update-ryan-mcgowans-positive-19268564

Hearts update on Ryan McGowan's positive COVID-19 test result after recent Tynecastle training stint

The Aussie now faces a race to be available to Sydney FC's AFC Champions League game next week

Hearts have confirmed that Ryan McGowan’s positive test for coronavirus poses no risk to their first team squad.

The Australian international, who won the 2012 Scottish Cup with the club, had been training with Hearts' Under 18 squad over the last few weeks in a bid to keep his fitness up before returning to Australia.

McGowan is thought to have contracted the virus over the weekend and had finished his stint training with the Tynecastle club prior to that, during which all social distancing and COVID-19 protocols were adhered to.

The club has also told Edinburgh Live that at no point did McGowan have contact with the first team, although did attend a memorial service for former teammate Marius Zaliukas last week.

He had been due to meet up with his Sydney FC teammates this weekend for their Asian Champions League clash with Shanghai SIPG next Thursday

However, the 31-year-old now won’t make it to Doha quite so soon and must return a negative test result before then to be involved in seven days time.

If he doesn’t, then McGowan will fly to Sydney and quarantine there for two weeks before the A-League season kicks off on 27 December.

"Obviously he's been training over there, just getting himself fit, but we've come down with some bad news in the last couple of days with him," coach Steve Corica said.

"He's actually got no symptoms. He feels good, but he obviously needs to quarantine now another 10 days and then have another test before he comes.

"He's already done a few days already.

"I'm hoping he'll be there before the 20th."

3 minutes ago, steve123 said:

I wonder if Gordon or anyone were at the memorial service...

I think mostly ex teammates, so it's possible.   I was more worried about him travelling to 3 countries with scotland to be honest.

The Old Tolbooth
24 minutes ago, HMFC01 said:

I think mostly ex teammates, so it's possible.   I was more worried about him travelling to 3 countries with scotland to be honest.

Exactly my thoughts too, international football should be stopped right now, mixing and matching players from different squads and then trailing them around 3 different locations around Europe is idiocy. 

4 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

Exactly my thoughts too, international football should be stopped right now, mixing and matching players from different squads and then trailing them around 3 different locations around Europe is idiocy. 

Unless you are Uefa or the national associations needing the money. 

Absolute Scenes
44 minutes ago, steve123 said:

I wonder if Gordon or anyone were at the memorial service...

Gordon was definitely there. Seen it on the service video

The Old Tolbooth
13 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Unless you are Uefa or the national associations needing the money. 

Aye true, money before lives as usual mate. 

4 hours ago, Blackshades said:

Sorry but if not an employee of HMFC he shouldn't be anywhere near riccarton.especialy the playing staff youth squad or anybody else

Considering we don't own it, that would be quite hard.

5 hours ago, upgotheheads said:

What Champions League are they talking about?

I just hope that nobody at Hearts has caught it from him. And wouldn't his contacts now need to isolate for 14 days?

His club won the A League so it will be the Asian one? 

Melbourne Jambo
48 minutes ago, graygo said:

Allowed to fly to Sydney and self isolate there, how's that allowed?

Article a bit misleading, no chance he'll be able to fly to Aus whilst still positive. Think it's indicating that's what'll happen once he tests negative if he doesn't make the cut off to arrive in Doha for the Champions League. 

And once he gets to Aus, positive or not, he'll have to do 14 days in a quarantine hotel like all our international arrivals. 

24 minutes ago, Shanks said:

What is the point in the club opening itself up to a risk like this?

He was training with the youths. So there should be no issue for the main squad, as they are all training separately. This is reason why he isn't training with the first team. 

3 hours ago, Melbourne Jambo said:

Article a bit misleading, no chance he'll be able to fly to Aus whilst still positive. Think it's indicating that's what'll happen once he tests negative if he doesn't make the cut off to arrive in Doha for the Champions League. 

And once he gets to Aus, positive or not, he'll have to do 14 days in a quarantine hotel like all our international arrivals. 

Thought it sounded a bit strange.

15 hours ago, Dallas Green said:

Considering we don't own it, that would be quite hard.

Ok anywhere near hearts staff.if you want to be smart

55 minutes ago, Blackshades said:

Ok anywhere near hearts staff.if you want to be smart

But the group he is with is separate to our main squad. I don't see the issue. 

• 3 months later...

Playing for Sydney at the moment aginst Brisbane, 1 down after a goalkeeping howler.

Interestingly they were interviewing the goalscore at half time first time I have seen that ( granted i don't normally watch Australian football)

Edited by steve123

3 minutes ago, steve123 said:

Playing for Sydney at the moment aginst Brisbane, 1 nil up after a goalkeeping howler.

Interestingly they were interviewing the goalscore at half time first time I have seen that ( granted i don't normally watch Australian football)

Theyll often interview coaches on camera during the have too.

And **** Sydney.

Just now, hughesie27 said:

Theyll often interview coaches on camera during the have too.

And **** Sydney.

Cool I have edited my post as Sydney are actually losing 1-0 

54 minutes ago, steve123 said:

Cool I have edited my post as Sydney are actually losing 1-0 

Good.

I obviously meant during the Game. Not have.