Zeefuik retires at 27 due to depression

rubyruby

Zeefuik was incredible for us, but I think the management team had doubts of whether it would work in the top flight. We decided to go for Jaunma instead, and despite a lukewarm reception on here, for a player coming here from abroad with no experience of British football Juanma did a good job.

Shame that he's had his mental health issues, and hopefully he can get to a place where he can deal with them.

FWIW, I've been wanting him back season after season. GZ is without a shadow a doubt the best natural finisher we've seen at this club since Robbo. 30 is still young, and much like Gordon missing 2 years, it doesn't spell the end for him.

We're 1-0 down to Celtic going into the final 10 minutes, who else would you rather bring on? None of our current options IMO inspire the same level of confidence. If the ball comes to the big man in the 18 yard box, its going in. 

The laddie just knows where the net is, he could spend the next 4 years as an impact sub for us, Easily. Clubs like Accies, St Mirren & St Johnstone have zero interest in playing football. If we're struggling to break them down, Zeefuik is the one player I'd count on to be there when we need him. 

If anyone at our club had an iota of sense over the last 3 years, they'd have brought him over and given him the time he needs to get back to where he was. 

This is Scottish football, not la liga. If he was as good at everything else as he was a finisher he'd be playing for a top, top club. Players with such obvious natural talent are a rarity. Especially strikers. 

IMO its late, but still worth it. Robbie should invite the laddie over and give him a shot. The fans would give him the time and space, his two goals against rangers stopped them ruining our title celebrations, and I think a lot of fans will remember that. 

Over and above everything else, the thought of a former player suffering in silence is horrible and if there is anything the club can do to try and help the guy out, even just throwing him a bone to train and try and rediscover his love for the game then I think its something we should do. We had gowser back, plus giving Halkett and Popescu the chance to practise defending against such a lethal finisher would only benefit us. 

C'mon Robbie do it. 

This whole thing reminds me of the troubles that Christian nade went thru.

Similar in size he was always being slagged off, especially by hibs fans.such was HIS despair he tried to end his life on the beach in fife.

Absolutely brutal,but glad Nade got the help he needed.I just hope Zeefuik does the same  .

Equalizer v Rangers like so much of his play for Groningen. Shielding the ball and usually playing players in with well weighted passes. Class

Just now, Riccarton3 said:

Equalizer v Rangers like so much of his play for Groningen. Shielding the ball and usually playing players in with well weighted passes. Class

That's the goal i remember him for

8 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

The sort of player Levein would have signed as a project in the days we could afford projects. I just wish we could reach out to him, try and help him, give him 6 months to get his head and body in order. Can you imagine how good he would be with 4 stones off, 100% fit and a head that works properly. 27 ? Time yet for the guy but it seems he’s chucked the towel in . Such a waste of a very talented player.

👍 Am sure some team could

4 minutes ago, LeftBack said:

That's the goal i remember him for

The goal at Livi.....he knows what he's about even with the ball still bouncing! Goes past the defender like he isn't there. BOOM! Miss him.

heartgarfunkel

What a fabulous talent.  Wish him and his family all the very best - it WILL get better with the right support.

How guid was the maroon-white-black traditional home colours, the azure and white with black shorts away in that season?

Edited by heartgarfunkel
pish spelling

3 hours ago, Pilmuir said:

Agree but don’t forget Skacel. 

Zeefuik certainly knew how to score goals for Hearts and for that we should be forever grateful.

**** me how did he not come into my head. 

I either need sleep or put down 😞 

2 hours ago, rubyruby said:

This whole thing reminds me of the troubles that Christian nade went thru.

Similar in size he was always being slagged off, especially by hibs fans.such was HIS despair he tried to end his life on the beach in fife.

Absolutely brutal,but glad Nade got the help he needed.I just hope Zeefuik does the same  .

Christian is doing really well just now , says he has never been in a better place. As you say hopefully Zeefuik is getting there and will return soon

10 minutes ago, sadj said:

Christian is doing really well just now , says he has never been in a better place. As you say hopefully Zeefuik is getting there and will return soon

That's great to hear. Best wishes to Christian.

And to GZ. 

Seeing those clips reminded me just how good a finisher he was.

Edited by CF11JamTart

2 hours ago, sadj said:

Great to hear, Nade seems a great guy, really friendly so its horrible to know he's went through all that.

Genuinely think Hearts should reach out to Zeefuik, get him over and doing some training. It might help him with purpose etc. Speaking to Nade might help him too since it sounds like they went through similar issues.

I genuinely think the laddie still has a career there if he wants it. He could be fit by January. I'd have zero reservations with us offering him a place to train etc. Its the right thing to do. 

5 hours ago, OTT said:

FWIW, I've been wanting him back season after season. GZ is without a shadow a doubt the best natural finisher we've seen at this club since Robbo. 30 is still young, and much like Gordon missing 2 years, it doesn't spell the end for him.

We're 1-0 down to Celtic going into the final 10 minutes, who else would you rather bring on? None of our current options IMO inspire the same level of confidence. If the ball comes to the big man in the 18 yard box, its going in. 

The laddie just knows where the net is, he could spend the next 4 years as an impact sub for us, Easily. Clubs like Accies, St Mirren & St Johnstone have zero interest in playing football. If we're struggling to break them down, Zeefuik is the one player I'd count on to be there when we need him. 

If anyone at our club had an iota of sense over the last 3 years, they'd have brought him over and given him the time he needs to get back to where he was. 

This is Scottish football, not la liga. If he was as good at everything else as he was a finisher he'd be playing for a top, top club. Players with such obvious natural talent are a rarity. Especially strikers. 

IMO its late, but still worth it. Robbie should invite the laddie over and give him a shot. The fans would give him the time and space, his two goals against rangers stopped them ruining our title celebrations, and I think a lot of fans will remember that. 

Over and above everything else, the thought of a former player suffering in silence is horrible and if there is anything the club can do to try and help the guy out, even just throwing him a bone to train and try and rediscover his love for the game then I think its something we should do. We had gowser back, plus giving Halkett and Popescu the chance to practise defending against such a lethal finisher would only benefit us. 

C'mon Robbie do it. 

:greatpost:

In fact, excellent post. 

He clearly has the ability. It might take him some time, but it's time I would be willing to give him.  12 goals in 15 short games for us is an amazing return, and I would absolutely love to support him and bring him back. 

Zee :wub:

17 hours ago, tian447 said:

:greatpost:

In fact, excellent post. 

He clearly has the ability. It might take him some time, but it's time I would be willing to give him.  12 goals in 15 short games for us is an amazing return, and I would absolutely love to support him and bring him back. 

Zee :wub:

Totally agree. As a club, we've done right by former players like Carrick and Beith in finding youth coaching roles so despite injury curtailing their careers, they're still involved with the club. Zeefuik physically could still play, I really think Hearts getting him and his family across to help resurrect his career could be such an amazing gesture. Unlike other clubs he has been at, every fan wanted him to stay. If he came back, even just to train he'd be met with so much support. Even if it doesn't end up being Hearts he plays for. 

If he doesn't want to do it, then fine. But I really want to hear that the club has put the offer out to him. Players put their bodies on the line for clubs all through their career and are often cast aside and forgotten about. This is a real opportunity to do something which could help the guy so much and would mean years down the line he's not faced with regret about retiring so young. 

He's the best finisher of a ball I've ever seen. Depression forcing him into retirement isn't right, and if the club can help get him into the right sort of mental space to want to get back into it then its absolutely something we should be doing. I know Zaliukas wanted to keep his illness quiet, but the thought of him suffering for so long without support from a club that he gave so much to hurts. In that same vein, we have a former player that needs help and has spoken openly about his struggles. Its really a no-brainer as far as I'm concerned. 

Ann has really pushed this idea of being a family club really hard, so here's a chance to look after a former player properly. Its an absolute golden opportunity to reinforce those values and show not just Zeefuik, or the fans but other players that this is a club that cares. Whether your a current player or not. 

Thinking of the big man. Depression is a horrible thing to ho through. Having an anxiety issue myself I can understand whst he's going through.

Ordinary mortals like most of us would give almost anything to have the ability to play at the level of Zeefuik and Nade, so much so that we forget that they are all too human, just like us. Good luck to him and Christian, maybe the club could let them know that we appreciate what they did for us over such a short time.

Tenaciousdandy

Having not really followed his career since he left hearts, I seen the name zeefuik on the TV last week and actual thought it was him playing, turns out it was his younger brother Deyovaisio.

Never nice when you hear of folk suffering from depression, hopefully he get the help he needs