USB not recognised by Windows

muldoon74

I'm on a bit of a job hunt tonight and put my USB with CVs, Cover letters etc into the usb port of my PC so as to be able to attach files etc if I find a suitable job to apply for.

I keep getting a message in corner saying "USB not recognised by windows" and the drive does not show in files. 

I used it last week (took it out as grandson was here and he's 2 so likes to break stuff at his height level) with no issues. 

How can I get PC to recognise the drive? Is it something simple I'm missing or is it FUBAR?

2 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Can you not try it on another machine somewhere? Could be the port?

Just tried it in other USB port, same thing. 

can't try it on laptop as it hasn't been on since march so will have a barrel load of updates to download before I can use it.. 

Going to try turning off and on with USB still in.. not holding out much hope though... :(

I swear computers etc are listening to us.

Closed all tabs, clicked to shut down and up it pops in the files.. WTF?

Closed down anyway and there it is on rebooting.., 

I hate computers. 

17 minutes ago, kila said:

If it is working now, make a copy of the data. It's likely dying and you might have been very lucky it sprung to life once last time.

Going to copy it all to PC and buy a new USB to copy it all back onto.. 

Just a note for the future (sorry). Try and store all your important documents etc. on two different media. You never know when something like a USB stick or hard drive is going to give up the ghost.

1 minute ago, redjambo said:

Just a note for the future (sorry). Try and store all your important documents etc. on two different media. You never know when something like a USB stick or hard drive is going to give up the ghost.

will do from now on.. I've learned no media storage is 100% guaranteed. you get what you pay for,... this USB is 15 years old and has outlasted 2 or 3 others by years (always backed these ones up though). 

8 minutes ago, redjambo said:

The really annoying thing is manufacturers changing standards all the time. I’ve got loads of stuff on a very expensive FireWire drive that will be redundant very soon and I expect USB to follow it soon. 

2 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Better off with cloud storage. Google Drive or Dropbox or whatever.

@muldoon74 Cloud storage sounds more complicated than it is, I think of it as a magic USB Stick in the sky 😁. You might even have a Google account on your phone. Even if you don't, just go to Dropbox or whichever one best suits you and create an account. You can drag and drop your files into it if you want to keep it simple. You'll be able to access your files from any computer or phone as long as you are connected to the internet. You would just log into Dropbox with your email and password and everything would be there.

1 minute ago, Smack said:

@muldoon74 Cloud storage sounds more complicated than it is, I think of it as a magic USB Stick in the sky 😁. You might even have a Google account on your phone. Even if you don't, just go to Dropbox or whichever one best suits you and create an account. You can drag and drop your files into it if you want to keep it simple. You'll be able to access your files from any computer or phone as long as you are connected to the internet. You would just log into Dropbox with your email and password and everything would be there.

I don’t think people realise how cheap cloud storage is. 50gb on iCloud is only 79p a month. Just make sure and keep your dick pics off it just in case. 

2 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I don’t think people realise how cheap cloud storage is. 50gb on iCloud is only 79p a month. Just make sure and keep your dick pics off it just in case. 

Never paid for it :verysmug:

Plenty of free options, especially if it's just the odd file like a CV and covering letters.

Google Drive would more than cover that with its free allowance.

Edited by Smack

Just now, Smack said:

Never paid for it :verysmug:

Plenty of free options, especially if it's just the odd file like a CV and covering letters.

Small stuff is fine on the standard free Apple icloud. You get 5Gb as soon as you set up an Apple ID. I’m sure a lot of people don’t realise this. 

Have a Microsoft  cloud account which I have several of my Uni assignments on.. Just don't  trust something that appears to be open to the most basic of hackers.. Willing to have my mind changed but I just not sure about things.. 

At least my USB can be taken out and therefore physically disconnected. Cloud is obviously a massive central database. As are all "cloudy" type drop boxes.. 

Gets me thinking that if USBs are going to be obsolete,.. Who is going to be in charge of and therefore able to manipulate my data? 

Not having a  go at anyone, I just don't trust the way things are going.. 

For example... DVD is superior to VHS.. However, at least with VHS when you turn it on and start the video it is exactly where you left it. DVD you have to wait for it to load, then go through the menu before finally picking the episode you were on and forwarding to point you tuned off.. You see? Superior? yes.. Better? maybe not... 

1 minute ago, muldoon74 said:

Have a Microsoft  cloud account which I have several of my Uni assignments on.. Just don't  trust something that appears to be open to the most basic of hackers.. Willing to have my mind changed but I just not sure about things.. 

At least my USB can be taken out and therefore physically disconnected. Cloud is obviously a massive central database. As are all "cloudy" type drop boxes.. 

Gets me thinking that if USBs are going to be obsolete,.. Who is going to be in charge of and therefore able to manipulate my data? 

Not having a  go at anyone, I just don't trust the way things are going.. 

For example... DVD is superior to VHS.. However, at least with VHS when you turn it on and start the video it is exactly where you left it. DVD you have to wait for it to load, then go through the menu before finally picking the episode you were on and forwarding to point you tuned off.. You see? Superior? yes.. Better? maybe not... 

Fair enough. I doubt hackers will take much interest in your CV. It would probably be easier to hack your computer than a secure cloud account.

Fair enough. I doubt hackers will take much interest in your CV. It would probably be easier to hack your computer than a secure cloud account.

Get what you're saying but people do a load of bat crazy shit for no other reason than to be a *****. 

18 minutes ago, muldoon74 said:

But you don't have to rewind a DVD before taking it back to the hire shop....

Just now, Alex said:

When you've finished watching it it doesn't matter as was at most a minute,.. in which time you could have a piss before putting the next one on..

And sadly, they're all gone now aswell..

Am I alone in missing a trip to Video store ? 

Youtube/netflix etc are great but.. just something missing for me.. I admit to being old fashioned.. simple times, simple pleasures.. (I was born in 1974...) 

17 minutes ago, Alex said:

Some vermin didn't rewind their videos. Scum. Also with a video you had to skip past all the shite at the start. And you never knew whose manky machine it had been in. They should have invented video condoms or something.

Again @muldoon74 technology is the answer 😁 Using a streaming service with Chromecast and Google Assistant you can just tell it to resume from where you left off. You can tell it to go back/forward 30 secs/5 mins or any number you want, or play from 38 minutes 22 seconds. Embrace the future, well, the present!

Edited by Smack

21 minutes ago, muldoon74 said:

Youtube/netflix etc are great but.. just something missing for me.. I admit to being old fashioned.. simple times, simple pleasures.. (I was born in 1974...) 

I'm pretty much ages with you, I've still got my video card for the Texaco garage just in case it comes back (unlikely now they've built flats on it). I could spend ages on  'I don't know which video to pick' and now can spend ages scrolling through TV and Amazon prime and still not see anything I fancy which I'm sure is entirely connected to lazily sitting on my arse expecting something to magically appear for me rather than physically going to get it. .

2 minutes ago, Alex said:

I'm pretty much ages with you, I've still got my video card for the Texaco garage just in case it comes back (unlikely now they've built flats on it). I could spend ages on  'I don't know which video to pick' and now can spend ages scrolling through TV and Amazon prime and still not see anything I fancy which I'm sure is entirely connected to lazily sitting on my arse expecting something to magically appear for me rather than physically going to get it. .

Kindred spirit mate...

From the video shop...

Full metal jacket

Rambo

Platoon

Plus so many others... Getting home.. "got a war film.." 

I've spent more time flicking through Netflix menu than I ever did in the video shop. 

3 hours ago, Tazio said:

The really annoying thing is manufacturers changing standards all the time. I’ve got loads of stuff on a very expensive FireWire drive that will be redundant very soon and I expect USB to follow it soon. 

I dont see USB going in the foreseeable future. It's been around for a quarter century, it's cheap, it's convenient, it's a known quantity, and it's everywhere now, so much so that the cheapest of electronic consumer products often use it for power.

It's a result of collaboration between several massive companies and it's development is managed sensibly (IMO). As it's got market dominance and there isn't a contender out there that I know of (USB's basically absorbed Thunderbolt now) I expect USB to be the man for a while yet.

The way I see it BTW is that USB won the format war in the same way VHS did. It wasn't the fastest or the best when it came out, Firewire was. But it was the cheapest, and it was good enough for most low end consumers, so it's what made it on to mass market computers and electronics. And once you've got mass adoption on most home computers, peripheral makers have to follow suit.

Edited by Smithee

3 hours ago, muldoon74 said:

When you've finished watching it it doesn't matter as was at most a minute,.. in which time you could have a piss before putting the next one on..

I loved the video shop too, but it wasn't all glory. The other side was getting there on a rank winter's night to find the film you wanted was gone and there's only shite left, that the queue's massive, they're out of Opal Fruits and there's a late return fine waiting for you.

Bollocks, give me a decent Plex account any day.

One of my external hard drives does this all the time. For some reason, Windows forgets the assigned drive letter. If it happens again, go into your 'Disk Management" settings, right click on the offending USB (it will be there) and reassign a drive letter to it.