Edinburgh

indianajones

10 minutes ago, kila said:

Not convinced that is real :laugh:

Looking at the buildings below and how close the castle is.

Taken from Arthurs Seat apparently. 

luckyBatistuta
1 minute ago, indianajones said:

Looks about right to me. The shape of those buildings look pretty much like Dumbiedykes.

5 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Does the Scott Monument look higher than the Castle from that vantage point? Assuming that's what's poking through and not the top of a church. 

Heartsmad1874
Just now, indianajones said:

First time seeing this one.

Glorious. 

Edinburgh always looks stunning in the snow.

Credit goes to Thomas Haywood Photography

C7F1AC9D-744B-493D-89EA-061C7E704F1D.jpeg

The older I get, the more I just love Edinburgh. For all it's flaws, it is honestly just ****ing beautiful.

Seen some great cities across Europe in recent years, some of which have left a big impression on me. But Edinburgh just always tops it.

Edinburgh and Heart of Midlothian. Just beautiful.

Edited by Locky

1 hour ago, kila said:

Does the Scott Monument look higher than the Castle from that vantage point? Assuming that's what's poking through and not the top of a church. 

Looks like the Tolbooth Kirk to me. 

Stayed in various places across the UK while working and living. I used to get terribly homesick being away from Edinburgh. Nothing compares tbh. 

Had some cracking photos I took from the Castle Roof a while back. Don't know where I've put them. :vrface:

Have to say I've traveled a wee bit but the only place I've been I think I'd rather live than here is Vancouver.

Possibly cos my daughter lives there too but it's very like Edinburgh IMO. Hills, beaches and some top boozers/breweries

luckyBatistuta
3 hours ago, Jamhammer said:

Have to say I've traveled a wee bit but the only place I've been I think I'd rather live than here is Vancouver.

Possibly cos my daughter lives there too but it's very like Edinburgh IMO. Hills, beaches and some top boozers/breweries

Out of the places I’ve been, the only other place I would  live other than Edinburgh is Rome.

Edinburgh is beautiful in the right moments.

Personally I fell in love with Prague when I was there in August. It's the only other place I have visited which gave me the same feeling as here.

3 hours ago, Jamhammer said:

Vancouver is a bit like Edinburgh for me.  After I left Edinburgh and came back for vacations so many of the places I knew had changed quite dramatically, and had entered the tall cement no  character scene. When I first moved to the Vancouver area I would drive to work and on some of the northbound roads you were quite high above the downtown area. You could see the harbour and the Inlet, and the houses at the bottom of the mountains in North Vancouver, but Vancouver also has gone into high rises and that view is no longer there. The two  cities though have a character that despite the changes seems to survive, like everything else in life nothing really stays the same.

4 hours ago, gjcc said:

Looks like the Tolbooth Kirk to me. 

It will be The Hub building at the bottom of Castlehill as it’s the highest point in Edinburgh. 
The photo looks like the city in the sky from His Dark Materials on the telly.  

I am reading a Ian Rankin book just now, Rebus was at a place called Knoxland. I checked Google to find that the place does not exist, but what really intrigued me was a seperate google article about the  the horrendous crime rate in the new Dumbiedykes buildings.. I knew the old area and its residents like the back of my hand, the back of my hand knew some of the residents also, but I thought the beautiful new buildings would give the people a new view on life, wrong again.

6 hours ago, Sharpie said:

Vancouver is a bit like Edinburgh for me.  After I left Edinburgh and came back for vacations so many of the places I knew had changed quite dramatically, and had entered the tall cement no  character scene. When I first moved to the Vancouver area I would drive to work and on some of the northbound roads you were quite high above the downtown area. You could see the harbour and the Inlet, and the houses at the bottom of the mountains in North Vancouver, but Vancouver also has gone into high rises and that view is no longer there. The two  cities though have a character that despite the changes seems to survive, like everything else in life nothing really stays the same.

Well put Bob. I’m just glad the Bairn didn’t move to Glasgow 😀

been here before
7 hours ago, Tazio said:

Always presented as one photo but apparently a few blended together. 

CDB84890-F880-46F0-8735-FA57B21F27B0.jpeg

No its not.

Its taken by Alfred Buckham who was a pioneer of aerial photography and an all round interesting character. He tooka multitude of other similar pictures of locations all over the world, more of which are in Edinburgh and the Lothians, including Scoyland, Britain, Afrucs, Europe and the Americas. He went on to becime a university teacher of photographic techniques

That particular picture is held in the National Galleries of Scotland. More of his pictures are held by the Royal Photographic Society and The Getty Museum.

Governor Tarkin

Edinburgh is stunning in the mist and gloom. My absolute favourite time of the year. 

The reflective melancholy atmosphere has been trashed of late by turning the city centre into a Christmas theme park. Really looking forward to having my city back this year, even if we can't break up our stroll in the cold and mist with a visit to many of the seemingly olde worldy pubs with the inviting twinkling lights in the windows. 

Edited by Governor Tarkin

17 hours ago, indianajones said:

Anymore class photos of the greatest city in the world? Lifted this from reddit:

8UoXFCNBepJP3n0HEQ6mooK_6sQooC90etN8Etp9

It’s a cracking picture if it’s genuine or not .
I’m not fully convinced as assembly hall seems too far back in the image in relation to the camera obscura building , but I’ve said , a cracking image of the capital 

19 hours ago, indianajones said:

Anymore class photos of the greatest city in the world? Lifted this from reddit:

I filed this photo under the same as those fake Forth Bridge lightening photos, I'd say this is 2 photos merged together and fake fog added - 100% fake.

17 hours ago, Locky said:

The older I get, the more I just love Edinburgh. For all it's flaws, it is honestly just ****ing beautiful.

Seen some great cities across Europe in recent years, some of which have left a big impression on me. But Edinburgh just always tops it.

This. 

Wouldn't swap it for anywhere tbh. 

5 hours ago, been here before said:

No its not.

Its taken by Alfred Buckham who was a pioneer of aerial photography and an all round interesting character. He tooka multitude of other similar pictures of locations all over the world, more of which are in Edinburgh and the Lothians, including Scoyland, Britain, Afrucs, Europe and the Americas. He went on to becime a university teacher of photographic techniques

That particular picture is held in the National Galleries of Scotland. More of his pictures are held by the Royal Photographic Society and The Getty Museum.

Buckham was a pioneer indeed, and one of his pioneering techniques was the layering of different negatives to create composite images. Not cheating, just a new way to make unusual looking work. 

17 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Stayed in various places across the UK while working and living. I used to get terribly homesick being away from Edinburgh. Nothing compares tbh. 

Had some cracking photos I took from the Castle Roof a while back. Don't know where I've put them. :vrface:

Only other place I've lived was down the borders in Hawick for a few years. Still used to visit Edinburgh every 2nd weekend, and I was still homesick!

22 hours ago, indianajones said:

As close as I could get on Google Maps, lining up the Dumbiedykes/Pleasance buildings.

castle.jpg

1 hour ago, Lemongrab said:

As close as I could get on Google Maps, lining up the Dumbiedykes/Pleasance buildings.

castle.jpg

That’s damned good detective work . I want the picture to be 100% real but I just cant get a niggling doubt out of my mind .

2 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

castle.jpg

Well found.👍

22 hours ago, Locky said:

I'm he same. However I also think that, as I moved away 22 years ago, that makes me appreciate my home city even more, especially as whenever I visited, I always took my daughter to visit different parts of the town.

9 hours ago, Locky said:

Only other place I've lived was down the borders in Hawick for a few years. Still used to visit Edinburgh every 2nd weekend, and I was still homesick!

Hawick is a hole, it is the borders answer to paisley. And their team, Hawick royal Albert, poached Jim Jefferies from gala fairydean.

10 hours ago, superjack said:

Hawick is a hole, it is the borders answer to paisley. And their team, Hawick royal Albert, poached Jim Jefferies from gala fairydean.

Is indeed. I enjoyed parts of living there as I was at high school, so had mates and stuff, but I just detested that it was so isolated. There was honestly **** all to do in Hawick. You either had to do the 30 minute bus journey to Gala or 2 hours to Edinburgh to do things. Bit of a culture shock for someone who'd lived in an urban environment and had everything on his doorstep.

18 hours ago, superjack said:

I thought Earlston was the borders answer to other shiteholes?