The Masters 2020

kila

Begins on Thursday with zero 'patrons' and no par 3 tournament on the Wednesday. Some players will prefer that, but it won't quite be the same and will probably have an exhibition feel to it. Maybe the DeChambeau exhibition? He's already ripping his 3 wood 350 yards during the warm up rounds.

Due to daylight, the cut will be just the top 50 players (plus ties) rather than including those within 10 shots of the leader.

Hopefully no one else joins Sergio Garcia on the sidelines after he tested positive.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kila

• Cruyff

• Tazio

• Harry Potter

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Really open betting market but I would definitely go for the powerful hitters.  DeChambeau,  DJ,  Koepka,  McIlroy,  Finau,  Rahm.  Finau looks the best value.

Samuel Camazzola

EW choices from Rahm, Willett, Cantlay, Hatton, Simpson, Finau. 

If McIlroy can get the putter going, he could achieve his career slam. 

Weather looks quite mild but chances of thunder and rain. 

3 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

If DeChambeau wins by just bombing it and gouging out the rough like he did at the US Open, the games ****ed. 

Nah.  If someone can crash it around and still post a winning score then fair play.  It's been done before.  Risk & reward.

https://www.masters.com/en_US/players/pairings/index.html

First tee off is 12 noon GMT. Woods defends his title at 12:55pm GMT starting on the 10th.

A compressed two tee start due to daylight with full live coverage of it all. Shame it's taken a pandemic for the Masters board to allow full TV coverage from the start. Hopefully their limits on TV ad breaks and 3rd party branding are still there though.

22 hours ago, Cruyff said:

If DeChambeau wins by just bombing it and gouging out the rough like he did at the US Open, the games ****ed. 

Nae rough, just pine needles, trees & creeks.

Malinga the Swinga

Would like Fowler or Thomas to win, but also quite like Speith &  Xander S. 

Can't be bothered with Bryson or Bruce K. 

1 hour ago, OBE said:

Nae rough, just pine needles, trees & creeks.

Aye true. I see he's maybe going with a 48" Driver in attempt to turn Augusta into a Pitch and Putt.  :vrface:

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

Aye true. I see he's maybe going with a 48" Driver in attempt to turn Augusta into a Pitch and Putt.  :vrface:

I don't think he is now but Phil is likely to use his. 

16 hours ago, ri Alban said:

The greens will be slow af. 

No they won't. Pace can be controlled due to the sub-air. 

6 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I don't think he is now but Phil is likely to use his. 

No they won't. Pace can be controlled due to the sub-air. 

Will! 

Samuel Camazzola
7 hours ago, OBE said:

Heid up...he thinned it...:biggrin2:

2 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

The great thing is people will be practising that now. 

Watch Vijay Singh's effort from a few years back. With the patron's in attendance, the anticipation from them makes it pure theatre. 

Had tickets and the parents were coming over to tick off a bucket list event - tickets have been carried over to 2021 but not sure patrons will be out and about by then either unless vaccine is available. Have the option to change to another event so was thinking about the Ryder Cup in September.

Hatton a good E/W bet I reckon.

I hope Bryson wins. I hope he bombs it everywhere, hitting par 5's with a drive and a 9 iron. I hope he hits nothing more than a wedge into a par 4. Otherwise nothing will change. 

Problem is he putts like an amateur at the Masters so he isn't the hot favourite folk think he is imo. 

Basically I'm saying he should be the trigger for a tournament golf ball. Yes he will still be longer but not so long it makes every course redundant. 

6 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

I hope Bryson wins. I hope he bombs it everywhere, hitting par 5's with a drive and a 9 iron. I hope he hits nothing more than a wedge into a par 4. Otherwise nothing will change. 

Problem is he putts like an amateur at the Masters so he isn't the hot favourite folk think he is imo. 

Basically I'm saying he should be the trigger for a tournament golf ball. Yes he will still be longer but not so long it makes every course redundant. 

Totally disagreed until I realised what you were saying. It may well be he catalyst for the change that golf is screaming out for if he wins with a pitch and putt show. He isn't allowed his green card at Augusta mind so could come a cropper on that front. Anyway, Rahm and Fowler for me.........................................again.

2 minutes ago, JWL said:

Totally disagreed until I realised what you were saying. It may well be he catalyst for the change that golf is screaming out for if he wins with a pitch and putt show. He isn't allowed his green card at Augusta mind so could come a cropper on that front. Anyway, Rahm and Fowler for me.........................................again.

I'm also in no way blaming him but he should be the straw that breaks the camels back. 

The putting will probably hide it as you say with no slope chart. 

Anyway I'm going for Hatton in a hoodie just to piss folk off. 

The par 5 13th is getting lengthened after the 2022 April Masters.

Longer golf courses won’t solve the problem though. The game wasn’t meant for 400 yard drives.

Will be interesting to see how DeChambeau does this time though. He was a bit wayward last year but 19 months later he’s evolved his game further. Doesn’t mean he won’t get bitten by the course and I’ll be disappointed if he just flies past the danger each hole. 

I will give up watching golf if Tyrell Hatton wins this though, can’t stand the guy! But he’s a likely candidate.

On 09/11/2020 at 19:23, kila said:

Begins on Thursday with zero 'patrons' and no par 3 tournament on the Wednesday. Some players will prefer that, but it won't quite be the same and will probably have an exhibition feel to it. Maybe the DeChambeau exhibition? He's already ripping his 3 wood 350 yards during the warm up rounds.

Due to daylight, the cut will be just the top 50 players (plus ties) rather than including those within 10 shots of the leader.

Hopefully no one else joins Sergio Garcia on the sidelines after he tested positive.

hoping Rory can do it.

Looking forward to it. I have Thomas, Cantlay and Hatton to win, Champ, Cameron Smith and Oosty ew. As said above, I don’t think DeChambeau is a good enough putter to win no matter how far he skelps it. 

Samuel Camazzola
2 hours ago, kila said:

The par 5 13th is getting lengthened after the 2022 April Masters.

Longer golf courses won’t solve the problem though. The game wasn’t meant for 400 yard drives.

Will be interesting to see how DeChambeau does this time though. He was a bit wayward last year but 19 months later he’s evolved his game further. Doesn’t mean he won’t get bitten by the course and I’ll be disappointed if he just flies past the danger each hole. 

I will give up watching golf if Tyrell Hatton wins this though, can’t stand the guy! But he’s a likely candidate.

Sky were showing footage on how Tournaments from previous years were won. During the 1990 Masters, Faldo hit a cracking drive around the corner giving him an opportunity to go for it in two. I think his approach was with a 4 iron. On 15, he approached with a 2 iron. 

The same type of shots in the current era are with 7 or 8 irons and it sounds like they are trying to remove that possibility with the extra land they have behind 13.

Bryson has made huge gains in his own driving game but he is not hitting it much further than the likes of Johnson, McIlroy, Champ and Peters who have been huge for a prolonged period. 

9 hours ago, Notts1874 said:

Also would have totally agreed with changing the ball until I listened to Ian Poulter last night.

Ian Poulter said, limit Driver loft to a minimum of 8.5 or 9°c. 

The reason Bryson hits it so far is because he's worked out that if he hits a 4°c driver on the up, he reduces spin and the ball goes miles. But to do this he has to swing in a certain way.

If he was playing with an 8.5 or 9°c driver however, his distance off the tee would be dramatically cut as he'd lose club head speed as he would use a more traditional swing and have no control of spin.

Edited by Cruyff

8 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Also would have totally agreed with changing the ball until I listened to Ian Poulter last night.

Ian Poulter said, limit Driver loft to a minimum of 8.5 or 9°c. 

The reason Bryson hits it so far is because he's worked out that if he hits a 4°c driver on the up, he reduces spin and the ball goes miles. But to do this he has to swing in a certain way.

If he was playing with an 8.5 or 9°c driver however, his distance off the tee would be dramatically cut as he'd lose club head speed as he would use a more traditional swing and have no control of spin.

If limits need to come in then this is the solution.  Minimum 8 degrees.  4 degrees is ridiculous.  :rofl:

Personally I wouldn't change anything.  If someone has the skill to slay a 4 degree driver and keep it in play all the time thrn I say fair play to the guy.  Seems unsustainable anyway.  

5 minutes ago, Victorian said:

If limits need to come in then this is the solution.  Minimum 8 degrees.  4 degrees is ridiculous.  :rofl:

Personally I wouldn't change anything.  If someone has the skill to slay a 4 degree driver and keep it in play all the time thrn I say fair play to the guy.  Seems unsustainable anyway.  

Love Phil mickelson, but his driving🤔guid round the green though.

The Mighty Thor
18 minutes ago, kila said:

Play suspended already due to rain, threat of torrential on its way :laugh:

No danger this is all getting finished by Sunday.

They don't play in rain. 

8 minutes ago, kila said:

Not regretting renewing Sky Sports at all right now, especially with the Scotland game free-to-air tonight...!

:levein2:

Just watch the golf on hesgoal.

Just now, Cruyff said:

I did that for the Scottish Open, but lack of proper HD and English made Sky Sports worth paying. Was getting distracted by saucy ads too! I bet you're glad there is a weather delay right now.

Samuel Camazzola
25 minutes ago, kila said:

Not regretting renewing Sky Sports at all right now, especially with the Scotland game free-to-air tonight...!

:levein2:

15 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

It's free on  Sky Sports via YouTube

11 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

It's free on  Sky Sports via YouTube

Amen Corner is (like the old BBC Red Button that showed it), but not the full coverage?

Samuel Camazzola
1 minute ago, kila said:

Amen Corner is (like the old BBC Red Button that showed it), but not the full coverage?

I see. I spied a tweet from Sky but didn't peruse the finer print. 

1 hour ago, kila said:

Play suspended already due to rain, threat of torrential on its way :laugh:

No danger this is all getting finished by Sunday.

The joys of winter golf.😕