Celtic fc lack of poppy respect ?

Hectormasson

To be fair if they were allowed to play in camo jackets ,black gloves , balaclava and dark glasses their supporters would be in dreamland 😀

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hectormasson

• redjambo

• Bazzas right boot

• DH1986

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, jock _turd said:

To be fair if they were allowed to play in camo jackets ,black gloves , balaclava and dark glasses their supporters would be in dreamland 😀

And a wee red light in their foreheeds just before the drone strike would fair chuff the rest of us. Scum. 

In honesty though it would be wrong to forget that a great many Irishmen went to fight in France in the great war and the second war so if they are dishonoring one group the are dishonoring the other.

Bazzas right boot

It's a reflection of the polarisation across all society atm as well. 

Celtic for some reason have chosen this stance and certain parts of thier support revrel in the controversy it creates. 

IMO it's partly because thier neighbour does the exact opposite. 

It's  almost like it's cool to be completely one way or the other, the middle ground is done. 

Because rangers make a big deal out of it, Celtic rather than do what they used to do in the past have caved in to the part of the support that has to be the complete opposite from rangers. 

Now it's a yearly debate all centred around them. 

Political and religious point scoring over the world wars. 

****ing tragic. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

36 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Are these the same people who were on the lookout for doorstep no-shows when it was clap for carers? 😄

More than likely 😂

I was too busy getting soaked at Thornton today to notice what Celtic were or weren't doing.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Every year.

I don't hold anything against Celtic over this. They're between a rock and a hard place. I'm not even that old and I remember when the poppy was a quiet and dignified symbol of remembrance. It's seen by some now as way beyond that - it's become a badge of nationalism that has connotations that some don't feel the need to shout about. 

The Wrinkly Ninja

It shows more disrespect to servicemen to use this to attempt to discredit Celtic every year and doing so cheapens the poppy.

There’s plenty of reasons to hate that club without going through this every year.

2 hours ago, redjambo said:

Indeed. Our men and women died to give us freedom, and that includes the freedom of self-expression. Societal pressure for folk to conform by wearing poppies is contrary to that.

If folk want to wear poppies, that's fine. If they want to wear white poppies, that's fine. If they want to remember in their own way, that's fine too. That's freedom.

Aye, it’s like the annual bashing McLean gets, I understand why he doesn’t want to wear one and that’s his choice, nothing more to see let’s move on. 

In the last two services at Haymarket, Celtic FC have been represented by one Danny McGrain who has laid a wreath.

Check which team Hearts played in a game to raise funds for the Haymarket memorial to begin with.

Celtic pay their respects.

2 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

In the last two services at Haymarket, Celtic FC have been represented by one Danny McGrain who has laid a wreath.

Check which team Hearts played in a game to raise funds for the Haymarket memorial to begin with.

Exactly, lets get the facts right before we lower ourselves to the level of their nutter faction. The vast majority of celtic fans, including good friends of mine, abhor terrorism and are as embarrassed by their balaclava wearing idiots as we are enraged by the same clowns. We are all football fans, we don't all go to watch a game to make a political statement. 

Samuel Camazzola
39 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

More than likely 😂

I was too busy getting soaked at Thornton today to notice what Celtic were or weren't doing.

How was it? No played it for a few years although it's part of a reciprocal £5 deal. 

I recall the closing stretch of holes being quite interesting. The opening holes were a bit 'Prestonfield' where it felt you were just going back and forth. 

SectionDJambo
31 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

I can’t remember where I think I read this, a long time ago, but it runs in my head that Celtic have always attended our service or sent a wreath as recognition that they felt regret about winning the Championship, from Hearts, as a result of our team being weakened, and caught up by Celtic. 
I might be completely wrong, but I did read it somewhere.

The whole atmosphere between clubs and fans of many clubs has changed for the worst in the last 50 years or so, due to various reasons and thinking. As an example, I remember the vast majority of football fans in Scotland, with the obvious exception, being delighted when Celtic won the European Cup. Generally, Scottish football fans were happy to see Scottish clubs do well in Europe. Wouldn’t happen now.

4 hours ago, Hectormasson said:

What is it with this anti British establishment ? Do they forget their  team play in a Scottish and British league set up ......no respect at all,  extremely sad people.......

Just playing up to the moronic fans

Weakened Offender
4 hours ago, DC_92 said:

I feel like I can remember a time when no football teams wore poppies and it was a complete non-issue. Better times.

It wasn't that far back too however it seems like a lifetime ago. Every year, same nonsense. Like it actually matters. 

Francis Albert
4 hours ago, Tazio said:

I also remember when it wasn’t some ridiculous competition to see who can be most “poppy”. A respectful minutes silence and people wearing a poppy if they chose or not. No poppy decorated buses and trains, no ****ing giant radiator grill poppies, no high and mighty offendedness by people who judge others. I’ve seen photos on social media this week of people with decorated WWI garden displays, including one doughnut including a skeleton in a German uniform as part of it. Way to miss the point there Einstein. 

Good post. My mother told me of a woman she saw being accosted in Princes Street for not observing the silence. She said she had lost 3 sons in the First War and thought of them and mourned for them all the time not just for a minute or two a year. The whole remembrance ceremony has become grossly overblown with  the poppy decorations and all that. My father who fought in WW2 and lost close  friends in it reached to switch off the TV very rarely. Once a week for Songs of Praise and once a year for the Albert Hall remembrance service.

Stephane Grappelli
4 hours ago, DC_92 said:

I feel like I can remember a time when no football teams wore poppies and it was a complete non-issue. Better times.

This.

4 hours ago, Tazio said:

I also remember when it wasn’t some ridiculous competition to see who can be most “poppy”. A respectful minutes silence and people wearing a poppy if they chose or not. No poppy decorated buses and trains, no ****ing giant radiator grill poppies, no high and mighty offendedness by people who judge others. I’ve seen photos on social media this week of people with decorated WWI garden displays, including one doughnut including a skeleton in a German uniform as part of it. Way to miss the point there Einstein. 

And this. Surely the whole point of poppies is the freedom to wear one or not. Now, like you say, it seems to be a competition to out poppy everyone else.

There's also the annual race to get offended and wound up by Celtic. As a club there are plenty of things that annoy me about Celtic, not least its hypocritical, sanctimonious and smug fanbase but whether they choose to wear a poppy or not is something I couldn't give a monkey's about.

5 hours ago, DC_92 said:

Exactly, this whole poppy fascism is totally out of control now. 

Jambof3tornado
4 hours ago, fabienleclerq said:

I think the issue is the reason they don't wear it rather than them actually not wearing one. 

It's all become a bit to political, as others have said the big car grill ones etc are too much. 

The political side of things is part of the reason I dont wear a poppy.

Jambof3tornado
4 hours ago, Tazio said:

My old man did 14 years in the army. He wore a poppy every year like most people and that was it. No memorial services, no big deal made of Remembrance Day. 

Correct. Now it appears that people are suggesting today is the day to take the knee according to multiple facebook and twitter posts. More fekkin politics.

14 minutes ago, XB52 said:

Exactly, this whole poppy fascism is totally out of control now. 

And the parkheid parasites aren't, scum to the core .

2 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

How was it? No played it for a few years although it's part of a reciprocal £5 deal. 

I recall the closing stretch of holes being quite interesting. The opening holes were a bit 'Prestonfield' where it felt you were just going back and forth. 

Binned it after 12. Was pissing down, course was a bog and were caught behind 6 fourballs.

6 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

Lennon was wearing one . If they want to wear a poppy wear it  , if they don’t that’s fine too. If they came out and criticised it that would be different . The officials weren’t wearing one either . 
It’s about freedom of choice which is what we thank the fallen for giving us . 
Personally I wear one with pride ( as I did at Haymarket this morning) 

This for me too.

They’re free to do it or not.

I wear mine with pride

5 hours ago, Angel eyes said:

2-FFCA44-A-FF9-C-487-D-8-A14-8-FC5840-FD
they just no that kinda folk....

Is that one of they face swap picture app?! 

20 minutes ago, chubby1973 said:

Is that one of they face swap picture app?! 

No sure but the dug looks embarrassed.

5 hours ago, hmfcbilly said:

Its fashionable to judge folk these days it would appear...file under folk not wearing face masks and automatically presuming they can't be arsed! I wonder whatever happened to not judging books by their covers??! 

Think they burnt all the books buddy

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Cade said:

23561589_1666611323369292_85609913448972723_n.thumb.jpg.c860f03668660cf834478217ddb0e28c.jpg

I agree with the general sentiment, but global warming does not mean every where will get hotter all at once, some places are forecast to get colder. 🤔

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Binned it after 12. Was pissing down, course was a bog and were caught behind 6 fourballs.

😬

7 hours ago, DC_92 said:

100% this. 

6 hours ago, Angel eyes said:

2-FFCA44-A-FF9-C-487-D-8-A14-8-FC5840-FD
they just no that kinda folk....

Not convinced there's a female in that pic. Apart from, maybe, the wee dug. 

King Of The Cat Cafe

Like others on here, I am sure, I bought a Poppy Scotland pin allied to the Hearts crest.  In the PS mail order book you could find similar badges for most big Scottish clubs.

With a notable exception....

2 hours ago, busby1985 said:

I am actual sick of the poppy debate every year man. It’s beyond boring.  

Why do folk say ‘man’ at the end of sentences nowadays?

Is it the new ‘guy’?

Could it be an ‘issue’?  :facepalm:   Which used to be, quite simply, a ‘problem’.

Get the ‘mod’ lingo.

I mean on the other hand you could be rangers and do card displays, firing cannons, fireworks and ****ing abseiling paratroopers into Ibrox.

It was so much better when football didn't jump on the bandwagon, or not, in this case.

4 hours ago, John Findlay said:

There's no respect by not wearing it on there shirt, its total indecency, when nearly all scottish and British clubs can do it    its just decency as their teams supporters have lost ones as well, ,,, its their stupid green brigade that run there show, sadly liewell

and co run scared of them......

4 hours ago, Hesh said:

Aye, it’s like the annual bashing McLean gets, I understand why he doesn’t want to wear one and that’s his choice, nothing more to see let’s move on. 

Sympathiser to  murderers, that's his choice ,,, utter shitebag of a man endows.........

3 hours ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

I thought your weren't allowed to slag Celtic or nationalist on kickback?

I don't think you are ,,few tic likers on here thats for sure ? And thats the politest way to to describe them.......

8 hours ago, Restonbabe said:

Why?

Didnt the brave fallen die just so others could have a choice. 

Today is remembrance Sunday.

Armistice day isn't until Wednesday. 

Your narrative is frankly insulting. 

Every year the poppy seems to get even more political and that's the disgrace. 

Proud to wear and promote the poppy,nothing to do with politics,strange views you have.

8 hours ago, PhoenixHearts said:

What's the issue? Wearing a poppy is a personal choice.

My grandfather was taken as POW of the japanese for 3 years but I have actually stopped wearing one because its meaning has been totally corrupted by folks who try to force it every year. I can pay remembrance and lay a wreath without having to buy into the corporate jingoism of it all.

I mention my grandad only to illustrate that It's not stemming from a lack of respect or not knowing your history. 

I agree,  it's a personal choice.  I always buy one, as I respect the sacrifice that millions of young men made from all nations in various conflicts, many of which may have been avoided.  Also, my late mother used to sell poppies every year and actually got invited to a Royal garden party at Holyrood Palace in recognition of her efforts.  I had to laugh, as my mum was no fan of the Royal family.

She used to stand outside Tynecastle and Easter Road on match days selling her poppies.  Collared Wallace Mercer on one occasion and told him Waugh, the then Hibs Chairman, had given her a tenner the previous week.  Wallace immediately handed her £20.  She knew what she was doing my old mum. 

What irks me more is the way that the BBC force everyone to wear one.

BTW, why is nobody chastising Hamilton and Ross County for not wearing any.

john brownlee
9 hours ago, TypoonJambo said:

Exactly, lets get the facts right before we lower ourselves to the level of their nutter faction. The vast majority of celtic fans, including good friends of mine, abhor terrorism and are as embarrassed by their balaclava wearing idiots as we are enraged by the same clowns. We are all football fans, we don't all go to watch a game to make a political statement. 

But do they join in the singing at the Tynie away end when visiting our glorious stadium, yea they abhor terrorism alright, as long and when it suits them. It's not a political statement it's a religious statement.

Also tell the wee girl servers at the away end that it's just friendly banter.

i remember one time on the bus to the match and a bunch of teenage girls laughing and giggling, one said go on ask him?

she said to me who are Hearts playing today, I said  Celtic, they immediately got of he bus, I gathered they were the servers.

• davemclaren locked this topic