Celtic fc lack of poppy respect ?

Hectormasson

What is it with this anti British establishment ? Do they forget their  team play in a Scottish and British league set up ......no respect at all,  extremely sad people.......

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hectormasson

• redjambo

• Bazzas right boot

• DH1986

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Neil Dongcaster

It’s money driven. A large proportion of their fan base are anti British. They are simply playing to the gallery. 

Most Celtic fans I’ve met tend to be abit weedy and creepy tbh so just let them get on with it.

Edited by Neil Dongcaster

SectionDJambo

They'd be relieved that they didn't have to worry about the GFITW disrupting the minute silence this year.

The "random" computer generated fixture list managed to have them away from home again, just in case there were spectators back in the grounds.

To be honest, I prefer them not to have the opportunity to disrupt other clubs tributes to all of the war dead, but it is typical of the Scottish media that it's never highlighted or explained why this potential problem arises every year.

I could even understand the issues that some people in Northern Ireland could have after the "Bloody Sunday" disaster for the army, but most of these Celtic trumpets aren't remotely Irish.

Lennon was wearing one . If they want to wear a poppy wear it  , if they don’t that’s fine too. If they came out and criticised it that would be different . The officials weren’t wearing one either . 
It’s about freedom of choice which is what we thank the fallen for giving us . 
Personally I wear one with pride ( as I did at Haymarket this morning) 

I feel like I can remember a time when no football teams wore poppies and it was a complete non-issue. Better times.

Edited by DC_92

2 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

I feel like I can remember a time when no football teams wore poppies and it was a complete non-issue whether people chose to wear one or not.

I also remember when it wasn’t some ridiculous competition to see who can be most “poppy”. A respectful minutes silence and people wearing a poppy if they chose or not. No poppy decorated buses and trains, no ****ing giant radiator grill poppies, no high and mighty offendedness by people who judge others. I’ve seen photos on social media this week of people with decorated WWI garden displays, including one doughnut including a skeleton in a German uniform as part of it. Way to miss the point there Einstein. 

2 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I also remember when it wasn’t some ridiculous competition to see who can be most “poppy”. A respectful minutes silence and people wearing a poppy if they chose or not. No poppy decorated buses and trains, no ****ing giant radiator grill poppies, no high and mighty offendedness by people who judge others. I’ve seen photos on social media this week of people with decorated WWI garden displays, including one doughnut including a skeleton in a German uniform as part of it. Way to miss the point there Einstein. 

🙈🙈🙈

Holyrood_Hearts

It’s the same every season with that lot.

The only benefit from no fans is Sky Sports dont have to turn the mics in the ground off like they do every season on Remberance Weekend. I did see Celtic fans complaining at Lennon wearing one though 

5 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Spot on.

Whilst our connection to this time of year something our club can be incredibly proud off.....some supporters have gone too far and are often using it to attempt to score points.

It’s crass to say the least.

28 minutes ago, Hectormasson said:

What is it with this anti British establishment ? Do they forget their  team play in a Scottish and British league set up ......no respect at all,  extremely sad people.......

For a scottish team its a disgrace and insulting.

10 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

As per their website......Celtic made a £10k donation to Poppy Scotland.

That was the money they got from Anderson.

Leading up to this weekend I always get the impression we have some supporters ticking off the days just waiting with glee to have a go at that mob.

Why are you so offended by them? Is it to show your a PHM. Get a grip.

shock horror big bad Celtic.

7 minutes ago, Rizla said:

Leading up to this weekend I always get the impression we have some supporters ticking off the days just waiting with glee to have a go at that mob.

Why are you so offended by them? Is it to show your a PHM. Get a grip.

shock horror big bad Celtic.

No just that they are haters of all things British, and that riles me   it don't bother you does it ?    Oh well everyone to their own eh......

He Who Cannot Be Named

We're better off without the divisional propaganda that surrounds poppy season.

42 minutes ago, Furious Styles said:

Meh. I don’t really see it as an issue. 

This. It is personal choice, and the choice of Celtic as to whether they do so or not.

We can't quite shake this "holier than though" attitude in this country, sadly.

46 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

Lennon was wearing one . If they want to wear a poppy wear it  , if they don’t that’s fine too. If they came out and criticised it that would be different . The officials weren’t wearing one either . 
It’s about freedom of choice which is what we thank the fallen for giving us . 
Personally I wear one with pride ( as I did at Haymarket this morning) 

Indeed. Our men and women died to give us freedom, and that includes the freedom of self-expression. Societal pressure for folk to conform by wearing poppies is contrary to that.

If folk want to wear poppies, that's fine. If they want to wear white poppies, that's fine. If they want to remember in their own way, that's fine too. That's freedom.

1 minute ago, Jamie Walker Tash said:

Trampy rats. World would be a better place without their club and fans.

👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦

1 minute ago, Hectormasson said:

No just that they are haters of all things British, and that riles me   it don't bother you does it ?    Oh well everyone to their own eh......

Hector I’m not bothered by anything they do.

we have such a proud history, celebrate and honour that.

we are a class above and always will be. Ignore them. They love the attention.

2 minutes ago, Jamie Walker Tash said:

Trampy rats. World would be a better place without their club and fans.

That's true, JWT, but not the discussion in this thread.

Jambof3tornado

Why is it an issue every season? Its a choice thing. The club choose not to so fair enough.

Personally I never wear a poppy but still donate to several veterans funds, doesnt make me less proud of my military service, doesnt make me less or more likely to remember the fallen.

fabienleclerq
1 minute ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Why is it an issue every season? Its a choice thing. The club choose not to so fair enough.

Personally I never wear a poppy but still donate to several veterans funds, doesnt make me less proud of my military service, doesnt make me less or more likely to remember the fallen.

I think the issue is the reason they don't wear it rather than them actually not wearing one. 

It's all become a bit to political, as others have said the big car grill ones etc are too much. 

Just now, Jambof3tornado said:

My old man did 14 years in the army. He wore a poppy every year like most people and that was it. No memorial services, no big deal made of Remembrance Day. 

58 minutes ago, Tazio said:

🙈🙈🙈

Poppys - Not an issue , wear it or don’t. 

AlphonseCapone
1 hour ago, Tazio said:

Well said, it's pathetic the way folk act these days. Running around pointing out who is and isn't wearing a poppy. Get a grip of yourselves. The people you're remembering fought for your freedom, that includes the freedom not to wear a poppy. Lack of class or decorum from the poppy fascists. 

As an ex serviceman this type of discussion grips my ****. the people in the services that fought the great wars and those conflicts since,  did so In order that people could express themselves freely. It’s the other lot that fought so you had to think And act they way they told you. If you want to respect those who gave their lives then do it in the way you see fit and stop using it as Pissing contest.

1 hour ago, Holyrood_Hearts said:

It’s the same every season with that lot.

The only benefit from no fans is Sky Sports dont have to turn the mics in the ground off like they do every season on Remberance Weekend. I did see Celtic fans complaining at Lennon wearing one though 

no doubt also complaining Brendan Rogers wearing one and holding the wreath at their game today

I normally wouldn't bother posting on a thread if I've nothing construct time to say but honestly, must we have this same 'debate' every year?? Celtic are as likely to wear a poppy on their strip as James McLean is. Difference is Maclean's reasoning is belief and Celtic FC is purely money driven as they don't want to upset their fans. 

11 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Well said, it's pathetic the way folk act these days. Running around pointing out who is and isn't wearing a poppy. Get a grip of yourselves. The people you're remembering fought for your freedom, that includes the freedom not to wear a poppy. Lack of class or decorum from the poppy fascists. 

Its fashionable to judge folk these days it would appear...file under folk not wearing face masks and automatically presuming they can't be arsed! I wonder whatever happened to not judging books by their covers??! 

1 hour ago, ford donald said:

For a scottish team its a disgrace and insulting.

Why?

Didnt the brave fallen die just so others could have a choice. 

Today is remembrance Sunday.

Armistice day isn't until Wednesday. 

Your narrative is frankly insulting. 

Every year the poppy seems to get even more political and that's the disgrace. 

1 hour ago, Hectormasson said:

Utter embarrassment to Scotland. 

Bazzas right boot

I personally find thier stance very poor, however no club or person should be forced to support anything they don't want to. 

Forces support, blm etc. 

Folk and clubs should have a choice either way and not be rounded on for not actively supporting a cause. 

Too much point scoring on what it seems every subject nowadays. 

53 minutes ago, Rizla said:

Hector I’m not bothered by anything they do.

we have such a proud history, celebrate and honour that.

we are a class above and always will be. Ignore them. They love the attention.

👏👍🇶🇦🇶🇦

The Green Brigade dont speak for every Celtic supporter.

Today I was watching my youngest son play football at Eliburn Park against Livingston. I stood most of the game beside another father whose son is in the same team as  mine. Both are Celtic supporters, but both were wearing poppies today and both like all of us immaculately observed the two minutes silence before the teams kicked off.

Every year the poppy debate rolls round and every year the same old tiresome arguments arise. Its an absolutely ridiculous argument.

queensferryjambo

I find it odd they used to wear poppy remembrance shirts then stopped it. I also wonder what the opinions of the players as individual is on it.

Celtic as a club can do what they want IMO but I do feel them changing their stance on remembrance was weak and pandered to a very small but  loud and aggressive element in their support not of the Celtic fans as a whole.

Getting past the usual propaganda of the Green Brigade Celtic genuinely have a history of players & supporters who are ex armed forces.  

Believe it or not Celtic have an Armed Forces and Veterans supporters club. 

I am sure their ex military supporters who have served in the armed forces couldn't give a shit about the opinions of teenage  neds who would struggled to get served in a pub let alone serve in the military.  Shame their club does pay so much attention to the Green Brigade.

As I say though Celtic can do what they want and not sure why anyone would get worked up about their decision. There are plenty of things about Celtic that annoy me more than their players not wearing a poppy on their shirt.

part_time_jambo
2 hours ago, Tazio said:

Ah - the radiator grill poppies (and red noses) Do drivers still think these are cool or funny? I never did. Perhaps if you were the first person to do it. Nah still naff.

2 hours ago, Hectormasson said:

What's worse is they don't know their history. 

1 hour ago, redjambo said:

That's true, JWT, but not the discussion in this thread.

You're right, sorry. My hatred for them makes me dive in without thinking.

Samuel Camazzola
3 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Poppy police, every year. 

Are these the same people who were on the lookout for doorstep no-shows when it was clap for carers? 😄

PhoenixHearts

What's the issue? Wearing a poppy is a personal choice.

My grandfather was taken as POW of the japanese for 3 years but I have actually stopped wearing one because its meaning has been totally corrupted by folks who try to force it every year. I can pay remembrance and lay a wreath without having to buy into the corporate jingoism of it all.

I mention my grandad only to illustrate that It's not stemming from a lack of respect or not knowing your history. 

• davemclaren locked this topic