At the going down of the sun

John Findlay

54 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

We will remember them.

received_370352460946149.jpeg

Thats very fitting John . It looks great. We are going to head to Tynecastle today.We always go to the service at Haymarket but somethings drawing me to my second home today. Brilliant picture

Very nice photo, im in the armed forces myself so always make an effort this time of year. Shame things have been put on the back burner this year due to Covid. Il be paying my respects from my house today. We will remember them. 

I notice Gordon Brown wasn't at the Cenotaph in London this morning among all the other living former PMs, all of whom were there. Hope he's okay.

7 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

I notice Gordon Brown wasn't at the Cenotaph in London this morning among all the other living former PMs, all of whom were there. Hope he's okay.

Probably sticking with travel restriction rules if he doesn’t live in London or the south of England on a permanent basis. 

Just now, Tazio said:

Probably sticking with travel restriction rules if he doesn’t live in London or the south of England on a permanent basis. 

I thought on that but Ian Blackford was there, kilted as usual.

1 minute ago, SwindonJambo said:

I thought on that but Ian Blackford was there, kilted as usual.

I’d imagine Blackford is pretty much living there so he can attend parliament. 

16 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I’d imagine Blackford is pretty much living there so he can attend parliament. 

Fair enough 👍 I thought a lot of the MPs were "attending" via video link  but as his party's lead spokesman in Westminster, he gets to attend in person when he wants. 

Very good one John, two world wars that provided carnage on both sides, I watched a program on TV about WW1. Soldiers from both sides stopped fighting and met and shook hands and had a game of football, it was interesting to see that the young German boys who like their British and Commonwealth  enemies were just boys really put in a situation over which they had no control.  

I saw a post in a thread in which you responded and the writer commented about you always finding a way to mention your military service. I have the same here conversation will get around to education, and not the majority but all relate to starting "Uni" at seventeen, I relate my move at seventeen which was to the Guards Depot, at eighteen I was now old enough to be sent to an active service zone in Egypt. At nineteen I attended the funeral of the guardsman who in the barrack room had the bed space next to mine, he was the Padres batman and was killed by activists in an intersection in Port Said. I know the impact that had and can just not comprehend how those men who fought in these and other major conflicts and saw on occasion literally a whole battalion slaughtered. I get and I may say not to my face commented on about relating my history, I do because I can, because I have some. As do you most certainly.

21 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

Very good one John, two world wars that provided carnage on both sides, I watched a program on TV about WW1. Soldiers from both sides stopped fighting and met and shook hands and had a game of football, it was interesting to see that the young German boys who like their British and Commonwealth  enemies were just boys really put in a situation over which they had no control.  

I saw a post in a thread in which you responded and the writer commented about you always finding a way to mention your military service. I have the same here conversation will get around to education, and not the majority but all relate to starting "Uni" at seventeen, I relate my move at seventeen which was to the Guards Depot, at eighteen I was now old enough to be sent to an active service zone in Egypt. At nineteen I attended the funeral of the guardsman who in the barrack room had the bed space next to mine, he was the Padres batman and was killed by activists in an intersection in Port Said. I know the impact that had and can just not comprehend how those men who fought in these and other major conflicts and saw on occasion literally a whole battalion slaughtered. I get and I may say not to my face commented on about relating my history, I do because I can, because I have some. As do you most certainly.

An event which happened in several places all along the front, in both France & Belgium.

This memorial is near Ploegsteert in Southern Belgium about 8 miles South of Ypres and just a mile or two from the French border, a small matter of interest is that the French town of Armentieres famous for the WWI soldiers song 'Mademoiselle of Armentieres' is just 5 miles from this site.

image.thumb.jpeg.bc6a14862d0a9f47d0a1e342b7185747.jpeg

To the right of this photo are preserved WWI British trenches, the top of a small corrugated metal roof can just be seen far right, there is also a small cemetery which can be seen in the background.

My Dad was in the Gordons in France for a couple of years, never told me any of his war stories, it was an episode he just wiped out of his curriculum. He and I spent hours walking bicycling and other activities but that part of his life was never raised. Strangely enough I heard him curse what seemed to be his most disliked people in the world, but they all seemed to be connected with Scottish football teams, never said a word about the Germans. 

Neil Dongcaster

Those that passed in the world wars and subsequent engagements deserve remembrance and respects.

Going forward I’d like more focus on remembering that the war is so easily avoidable. I’d like us to remember the millions of civilians we murdered and displaced as a result of us destabilising the Middle East.

1 hour ago, Sharpie said:

Thank you Bob.

Yes my major horror was the Falklands in 1982 a month after my 19th birthday. I had been in the Navy just over 2 and a half years and onboard my ship Hms Intrepid for two years. I witnessed sights that I dont wish to witness again, but it turned a boy from the scheme of West Pilton into a man. 

To this day it stood me in good stead. I admit I'm very stoic and was described in my service records as a taciturn Scotsman. I always liked that description. It appeals to my sense of humour.

I know I never witnessed anything near horrendous as those that served in both world wars, especially those that were in the war to end all wars. To my dying breath those men and women will have my utmost respect.

Stephane Grappelli
23 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Thank you Bob.

Yes my major horror was the Falklands in 1982 a month after my 19th birthday. I had been in the Navy just over 2 and a half years and onboard my ship Hms Intrepid for two years. I witnessed sights that I dont wish to witness again, but it turned a boy from the scheme of West Pilton into a man. 

To this day it stood me in good stead. I admit I'm very stoic and was described in my service records as a taciturn Scotsman. I always liked that description. It appeals to my sense of humour.

I know I never witnessed anything near horrendous as those that served in both world wars, especially those that were in the war to end all wars. To my dying breath those men and women will have my utmost respect.

I've been a bit of a smart arse in the past John but just want to say I've nothing but respect for you. Hopefully you didn't take me seriously, nobody else does!

All the best.

19 minutes ago, Stephane Grappelli said:

I've been a bit of a smart arse in the past John but just want to say I've nothing but respect for you. Hopefully you didn't take me seriously, nobody else does!

All the best.

No problem.