Bring it back

Swanny17

So I see that there was some rehash of that awful TV show “Supermarket Sweep” on TV tonight. That, topped with the pish like Strictly, X Factor etc on Saturday nights made me wonder, what TV shows from the past would you like to see brought back for a Saturday night?

I used to love a bit of Gladiators (ironic I know), The Generation Game and a good crime drama. 

:peepwall: 

I think for nostalgia purposes all the classic quiz shows like generation game, play your cards right etc but thats probably to do with them reminding me of Saturday nights as a kid and them being on.  Not so sure the viewing habits of the general public want stuff like that now given how much fake shite (that they have a cheek to pass of as reality tv) is on and consumed these days. Alan Carr did a mini series last year I think with a remake of 5 or 6 classic shows. I remember watching strike it lucky and play your cards right and thought he did a decent job. 

10 hours ago, Tott said:

Love thy neighbour :whistling:

Tiswas late night version? OTT i think (just for sally james)

Was sent a WhatsApp last week with OTT and their guest was Bernard manning.... let’s just say I don’t think it would make Saturday nights nowadays 

Just stop saturday night tv for good.Its hard to believe how shite it is.Ive saw the trailers for Strictly Dancing and it looks a total embarassment.Same as the Britains got Talent and The Voice crap.TV needs a good clean up maybe not so much channels but more quality.It would be good to see Alan Partridge back on and if they could get better guests Would I Lie To You should be a good watch.

Салатные палочки

Idiot TV made for idiots. 

Supermarket Sweep FFS. The only time I watched that was when I was off school sick. Now it's prime time. 

Having shite over the years like Strictly and X Factor taking out 2 hours of viewing kills the chance for a good film to be on.

Im maybe getting a bit misty eyed but there seemed to be more variety and more choice crammed in when I was a kid in the 80s. Spread over a year, of course.

Couldn’t beat a bit Cagney and Lacey before the main event, Sportscene. 🤪

I’ve not paid much attention to Sat night TV since my teens, largely due to typically having other plans.  Think this is a great thread, because with COVID putting our normal lives on hold, I’ve noticed just how different Sat night TV is to when I used to watch it.  

Late 80s/early 90s Sat night TV was awesome.  Friday nights were great also.  Typical schedule for me around then would have been

Friday night

- Roseanne

- Who’s line is it anyway
- Penn and Teller

- Sean’s show 

- The stand up show

- The Word/Eurotrash 

Sat night

- Gladiators

- Noel’s House Party

- You Bet

- Opportunity Knocks 

- Blind Date

- MOTD/Sportscene 

Sure there was a Sat night gameshow that Tarrant hosted that came live from folk’s houses (bit like a prime time Finders Keepers) but can’t find any evidence of it online?  Or maybe I dreamt it?

13 hours ago, Swanny17 said:

So I see that there was some rehash of that awful TV show “Supermarket Sweep” on TV tonight. That, topped with the pish like Strictly, X Factor etc on Saturday nights made me wonder, what TV shows from the past would you like to see brought back for a Saturday night?

I used to love a bit of Gladiators (ironic I know), The Generation Game and a good crime drama. 

:peepwall: 

I loved gladiators. When I was a student, in Birmingham, a group of us went to see it being filmed. Got chatting to some family of one of the competitors and they got us free tickets for the next round. 

Anyone remember Childs Play? Basically just getting kids to describe words and adults having to guess the word. Simple but very funny.

For a saturday night, I usually e joy ant and decs saturday night takeaway.

To make it more enjoyable, dont always use ant and dec, use different guest hosts each week, that way you will get more than a handful of episodes each year.

luckyBatistuta
3 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

It’s a no brainer...

The Hitman and Her

Cheryl Kent at 8mins, bet she doesn’t cringe watching that back :rofl:

and Angela after her
 :cornette:

Edited by luckyBatistuta

4 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Cheryl Kent at 8mins, bet she doesn’t cringe watching that back :rofl:

Angela was just as good 😂😂 

luckyBatistuta
21 minutes ago, theshed said:

Angela was just as good 😂😂 

18 minutes ago, Furious Styles said:

Angela turned up late, saw Cheryl and tried to emulate her. 

:lol: I genuinely had tears in my eyes laughing watching them all dancing in that. Imagine getting to see yourself dancing in a club all those years later, looks like you’re having a fit.

Always liked the Generation Game but only with Brucie. 

In the early '80's The Dukes of Hazzard was must see Saturday evening telly. Even named my wee dug Roscoe, after Officer P. Coltrane.

Difficult to understand why after I watched an episode recently. What a load of shite. 😁

Edited by martoon

12 hours ago, Herbert said:

No!

It would just give that ryland prick more airtime.

I do miss big break, that was class.

Generation game, followed by Dixon of Dock Green(later Juliet Bravo), followed by the Two Ronnie's, and then Morecambe and Wise. The News, and then Sportscene when you got a good 25/30 minutes highlights of a game followed by at least 20 minutes highlights of an English game. Now that was great Saturday night television.

Saturday tv is absolutely chronic.  Nothing can save it now thanks to the option of Netflix and Prime.

only ever watch terrestrial tv for masterchef / dragons den / Graham Norton and footy.

it’s done and finished 

adambraejambo

3-2-1 a game show with varies guests doing a song/sketch before they read out the clue. I'd go Pheonix nights style with it with Brian Potter and co presenting . Might get away with it as long as they dont get a medium in. 

A Boy Named Crow

As a kid I loved the original format Top Gear - boring middle aged man, talking about the boot space of a Renault 19 etc. It was magic.  Can't stand what it is now, or the Grand Tour pish. 

'Allo 'Allo should cone back,  but not a remake, just repeat the originals!

(Granted, Top Gear was a Thursday,  but it could be moved, aye?)

Edited by A Boy Named Crow

12 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

New one to me, no casualty just now, only decent programme when its on.

Iconic ZX spectrum game. 

I P Knightley
2 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Jim'll Fix It 

Fixing it for kids to milk cows blindfolded... :biglaugh:

Maybe since Jimmy is no longer with us, Michael Barrymore could front the show?

Big Break bring it back without Jim Davidson would be good I loved it as a kid. 

Get rid of the chase its run its course bring back Golden Balls a good backstabbing game 😜

1 hour ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Big Break bring it back without Jim Davidson would be good I loved it as a kid. 

Get rid of the chase its run its course bring back Golden Balls a good backstabbing game 😜

Think the chase should just be on a Saturday night, Goldenballs on teatime during the week would be good.

The A team

The Fall Guy

Baywatch

Airwolf

Bullseye

Miami Vice

Knight Rider

The Professionals

The Incredible Hulk

Starsky & Hutch

Chips

Magnum P.I.

Loved the 80's TV.

Edited by Pans Jambo

48 minutes ago, Herbert said:

Think the chase should just be on a Saturday night, Goldenballs on teatime during the week would be good.

Updated Golden Balls without Carrot would be good - The chase is alright but maybe keep or a Saturday or Sunday night . 

I watched that wall with Danny Dyer what was alright apart from Danny telling the wall to stop mugging them aff . 

12 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Updated Golden Balls without Carrot would be good - The chase is alright but maybe keep or a Saturday or Sunday night . 

I watched that wall with Danny Dyer what was alright apart from Danny telling the wall to stop mugging them aff . 

Cannie stand Dyer, 

Saturday's should consist of Thunder in paradise,blind date, stars in their eyes and casualty. 

17 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

Saturday tv is absolutely chronic.  Nothing can save it now thanks to the option of Netflix and Prime.

only ever watch terrestrial tv for masterchef / dragons den / Graham Norton and footy.

it’s done and finished 

With the “A” list guests on Graham Norton’s show I’m surprised it’s on so late. I’d have thought a revamp of Saturday night telly could see him five a 9pm slot on Saturday rather than late on Fri/Sat. 

Kennedy Bakircioglu

Can anyone remember a show on Saturday night, probably late 90s-early 00s. The crux of it was a family member would undertake a challenge for a 'life-changing' prize. The challenges were things like remembering every football in order who'd won the FA cup etc. They'd spend all week 'training' ahead of the 'live' Saturday night event. It may have been Gaby Roslin presenting but I just had a look through her Wikipedia and none were immediately clear it was the programme I've tried to describe. We always enjoyed watching that as a family on a Saturday night, usually with a babysitter (I would have been a young teenager probably so it may have been complete garbage!)