11 hours ago, Sharpie said:

Maria Callas

Mario Lanza

Paul Robson

Bing Crosby

Judy Garland

Doris Day

Dusty Springfield.

How could I forget Dorris Day. Had a crush on her.

Dusty Springfield and Helen Shapiro also great.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• luckyBatistuta

• ri Alban

• Tazio

jambos are go!

Tom Jones is a lot better than I thought when I was younger. Especially when he moves out of his greatest hits playlist. Paul Robeson is awesome.

On 26/10/2020 at 18:38, Seymour M Hersh said:

Ella Fitzgerald and Ethel Merman are great singers.

I'm surprised this guy hasn't been mentioned.  Lots of genres covered, and such versatility none of the other singers on this thread can demonstrate 🤔

jack D and coke
On 06/11/2020 at 09:25, luckyBatistuta said:

Karen Carpenter 

Carpenters songs make me feel weird lol I can’t explain it. I don’t know if it’s her voice or the sentiment in the songs but they have an effect on me. They give me feels big time..

4 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

You missed Lulu.

@been here before will not be a happy man.  

luckyBatistuta
55 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Carpenters songs make me feel weird lol I can’t explain it. I don’t know if it’s her voice or the sentiment in the songs but they have an effect on me. They give me feels big time..

Sad,anger,boak🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, jambos are go! said:

Tom Jones is a lot better than I thought when I was younger. Especially when he moves out of his greatest hits playlist. Paul Robeson is awesome.

Ella Fitzgerald and Ethel Merman are great singers.

Yes, Paul Robeson had an amazing voice and range for a baritone.   Jimmy Reid gave a fascinating interview about 20 years ago about things that influenced his life - one of them was when Robeson came over and gave an impromptu concert for the shipworkers to show his support for their employment struggles  (I think he did something similar for Welsh miners). Reid was full of admiration for how Robeson had struggled against poverty and racism to reach his fame, yet had remained humble and respectful. 

Nat King Cole had  a wonderful smooth voice (and a captivating smile too.)      It's incredible to think that such black talent existed from the 30s onwards - popular with loads of ordinary white people - yet they all had to struggle against obscene racism most of their lives.

I watched the original "A Star is Born" film recently - Judy Garland was astonishingly good, both acting and singing.  Lisa Minelli inherited her mother's voice too.

Tin hat firmly on now  .... but Cliff Richard is (and still is at the age of 80) an amazing singer  !!!

1 hour ago, frankblack said:

I'm surprised this guy hasn't been mentioned.  Lots of genres covered, and such versatility none of the other singers on this thread can demonstrate 🤔

Granted,  he's a better singer than Leonard Nimoy was.  😜

2 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Yes, Paul Robeson had an amazing voice and range for a baritone.   Jimmy Reid gave a fascinating interview about 20 years ago about things that influenced his life - one of them was when Robeson came over and gave an impromptu concert for the shipworkers to show his support for their employment struggles  (I think he did something similar for Welsh miners). Reid was full of admiration for how Robeson had struggled against poverty and racism to reach his fame, yet had remained humble and respectful. 

Nat King Cole had  a wonderful smooth voice (and a captivating smile too.)      It's incredible to think that such black talent existed from the 30s onwards - popular with loads of ordinary white people - yet they all had to struggle against obscene racism most of their lives.

I watched the original "A Star is Born" film recently - Judy Garland was astonishingly good, both acting and singing.  Lisa Minelli inherited her mother's voice too.

Tin hat firmly on now  .... but Cliff Richard is (and still is at the age of 80) an amazing singer  !!!

A club in LA refused to book Ella Fitzgerald as she was black. Marilyn Monroe was furious and went to see the club owner and said if he booked Ella Fitzgerald she would attend every show, as she was the hottest star in Hollywood at the time it meant his club would be in every newspaper so he agreed to it. Ridiculous that it took that for a club to book the greatest jazz singer in the world, but credit to MM for her stance. 

1 hour ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Can’t stand Lulu...would, but still go back to hating her again afterwards😁

You’d only do her to hear her ‘Shout’.

You dirty old rascal.

😍

luckyBatistuta
38 minutes ago, Morgan said:

You’d only do her to hear her ‘Shout’.

You dirty old rascal.

😍

😁 That’s actually a good shout.

jack D and coke

Liam had a great voice circa 95-98 then it went right to shit. His voice now is awful live. Why he started that snarly nonsense I don’t know.
Definitely maybe/what’s the story it was imperious. Those songs still touch parts of my soul every time I listen to them. I know music snobs rubbish them but whether it just takes me right back to that time in my life or what I’m not sure. It struck me big time. 

luckyBatistuta
23 hours ago, Ulysses said:

My late mother simply ADORED Presley. 

I chose Karen Carpenter, but he is the greatest male for me. My whole family is Elvis daft, you picked a cracker with this one...and your mother had great taste.

luckyBatistuta
1 hour ago, obua said:

More than on😁ce 

And I’d still feel alright.

Edited by luckyBatistuta

4 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Liam had a great voice circa 95-98 then it went right to shit. His voice now is awful live. Why he started that snarly nonsense I don’t know.
Definitely maybe/what’s the story it was imperious. Those songs still touch parts of my soul every time I listen to them. I know music snobs rubbish them but whether it just takes me right back to that time in my life or what I’m not sure. It struck me big time. 

Gallagher? Bwah.... :rofl:

Karen Carpenter is at the top for females, Elvis's voice for ballads just became amazing, Roy Orbison and John Denver are just beautiful to listen to to fall asleep to with headphones in

The Real Maroonblood
13 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

I found her songs depressing.

6 hours ago, shauncl said:

Karen Carpenter is at the top for females, Elvis's voice for ballads just became amazing, Roy Orbison and John Denver are just beautiful to listen to to fall asleep to with headphones in

There are better vocalists than Karen Carpenter but people seem to be judging best vocalist with largest success.   John Denver is fairly niche and long forgotten also.  Elvis sounded dated even in the 70s, but Roy Orbison did diversify right to the end with his cover of I Drove All Night and the Travelling Willburys.

As others say, The Carpenters were fairly one dimensional.  Abba to me were far superior in their genre.

Edited by frankblack

5 hours ago, XB52 said:

Nat King Cole for the voice. Frank Sinatra for the showman 

Jim Morrison for getting his tadger out, Iggy Pop for rolling around in broken glass (and, no doubt, getting his tadger out as well!)   :whistling:

22 minutes ago, Auld Reekin' said:

Jim Morrison for getting his tadger out, Iggy Pop for rolling around in broken glass (and, no doubt, getting his tadger out as well!)   :whistling:

Morrison did a wee split second flash. Iggy appeared on television, The White Room I think, in see through polythene trousers. If you’re going to behave like that you need to go for it. 

Just now, Tazio said:

Morrison did a wee split second flash. Iggy appeared on television, The White Room I think, in see through polythene trousers. If you’re going to behave like that you need to go for it. 

Iggy went all-out for most things in his day.   :jjockio:

7 hours ago, frankblack said:

There are better vocalists than Karen Carpenter but people seem to be judging best vocalist with largest success.   John Denver is fairly niche and long forgotten also.  Elvis sounded dated even in the 70s, but Roy Orbison did diversify right to the end with his cover of I Drove All Night and the Travelling Willburys.

As others say, The Carpenters were fairly one dimensional.  Abba to me were far superior in their genre.

The thing about ABBA is that the girls were good singers - all 4 were well established artists in Scandinavia before the group was formed.

Glad to see the ESC getting a few in:

Teddy Johnson & Pearl Carr (1959)

Lulu (1st = in 1969)

Abba (1st in 1974)

Mary Hopkin (1970) had a lovely crystal-clear voice too.

All roads lead to Gorgie

I am not really a fan of jazz but Billie Holidays voice is captivating to listen to, it seems to sum up a whole period of time, like an old black and white classic movie. 

5 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

I am not really a fan of jazz but Billie Holidays voice is captivating to listen to, it seems to sum up a whole period of time, like an old black and white classic movie. 

I remember watching a documentary about jazz and one of the old musicians they interviewed said it was a shame that her voice was starting to go before anyone got round to recording her. I’d love to have heard her before the years of addictions took their toll. 

luckyBatistuta
7 hours ago, frankblack said:

I’m definitely not choosing Karen Carpenter because of how successful she was. I could listen to her voice all day, she just had something special.

Francis Albert
3 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

At last!!

Billie really hadn't much of a voice  but she was one of the, if not the greatest jazz  and popular singers. Ella her only rival but in a totally different style.

Diana Ross did a good job in Lady Sings the Blues and in the album of Billie's songs  which  bizarrely was not issued until nearly two decades after the film.

All roads lead to Gorgie
12 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

I’m definitely not choosing Karen Carpenter because of how successful she was. I could listen to her voice all day, she just had something special.

12 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

At last!!

Billie really hadn't much of a voice  but she was one of the, if not the greatest jazz  and popular singers. Ella her only rival but in a totally different style.

Diana Ross did a good job in Lady Sings the Blues and in the album of Billie's songs  which  bizarrely was not issued until nearly two decades after the film.

It was probably the world weary voice brought on by addictions that made her so unique. A real shame she died way before her time.

Julianne Regan has a beautiful voice, I've seen All About Eve dozens of times and have always been hugely impressed with her, wheather it was a full on gig or an acoustic set, stunning.

21 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

At last!!

Ella did great jazz interpretations of classics. In terms of a pure jazz singer Sarah Vaughan is the one jazzers hold in high esteem. 

All roads lead to Gorgie

I meant to quote Tazio above on Billie Holiday but the addictions part could cover Karen Carpenter equally and how precious talent often leaves us too soon.

Francis Albert
18 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Ella did great jazz interpretations of classics. In terms of a pure jazz singer Sarah Vaughan is the one jazzers hold in high esteem. 

All a matter of taste but I was never a great Sarah Vaughan fan. And not even of Bille's earlier stuff. But her fifties recordings on Verve with small groups of some of the greatest musicians of the great big bands era like Ben Webster, Harry Edison , Lester Young are sublime even if her voice was showing signs of wear. 

On 07/11/2020 at 02:24, Ulysses said:

My late mother simply ADORED Presley. 

Brilliant choice of track. The Elvis that recorded If I Can Dream was unparalleled in popular music.  This was him at his most committed and brilliant best and his vocal is spine tingling - raw, passionate and on the edge. 

I love John Landau's review of the Comeback Special in Rolling Stone magazine:

“There is something magical about watching a man who has lost himself find his way back home... He sang with the kind of power people no longer expect from rock 'n' roll singers.” “It was the finest music of his life.

7 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

All a matter of taste but I was never a great Sarah Vaughan fan. And not even of Bille's earlier stuff. But her fifties recordings on Verve with small groups of some of the greatest musicians of the great big bands era like Ben Webster, Harry Edison , Lester Young are sublime even if her voice was showing signs of wear. 

I agree. Sarah Vaughan tends towards a bit show off for my liking. 

Frankie Valli, Robert Plant, Ann Wilson. 

Picking the greatest ever wont ever happen.   Ottis just sounds different to the ones I picked.   Doesn't mean he isn't great.   He's preferred to the song styles he sings obviously. 

If he tried to sing "walk like a man" though it would be an instant fail.   Just wouldn't be as fun.   Probably depressing. 

Francis Albert
18 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I agree. Sarah Vaughan tends towards a bit show off for my liking. 

Show off sums it up exactly for me!

Samuel Camazzola

Dode Michael had a cracking voice. In addition to his recorded work, the live performances with Elton and Queen were superb. 

Male , Pavarotti , Sinatra and Elvis 

Female : Streisand ( saw her in concert she was amazing. ) Garland , Holliday and Fitzgerald 

On 07/11/2020 at 16:16, The Real Maroonblood said:

Yes Dusty Springfield was great . Our best pop singer in my book until Any came along 

On 06/11/2020 at 17:40, Morgan said:

Bobby Darin.

Sinatra.

Mercury.

Elton.

1 hour ago, jambostuart said:

Elton John just for the sheer versatility in his voice as he's gotten older. 

At last!

Well done, jambostuart!

On 07/11/2020 at 19:12, ri Alban said:

She was an incredible talent . Did it all , singer , actor and dancer . Incredible stage performer too , at one time played to an audience of 109,000 at one concert 

luckyBatistuta
2 hours ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

It was probably the world weary voice brought on by addictions that made her so unique. A real shame she died way before her time.

It was indeed, way too young. She could have achieved so much more. A great drummer too.