Sam Cooke

David Bowie 

Otis Redding

Ray Charles

Female:

Aretha 

Eva Cassidy

Whitney Houston

Really just because I love artists with soul in their vocal, where I can lose myself in the emotions of the song.... 

Forgot about Eva Cassidy.

That "Over The Rainbow" recording is mind blowing. The control to switch so effortlessly from powerful to soft (don't recall the musical terminology) is wonderful.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• luckyBatistuta

• ri Alban

• jambostuart

Nat king Cole had a voice of velvet.

Then there is the likes of Matt Munro, Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra, Tom Jones.

Female wise, Shirley Bassey, Aretha Franklin, Janis Joplin, Karen Carpenter, Stevie Nick's and Chrissy McVey, Barbara Streisland, Barbara Dickson. I could name countless more.

29 minutes ago, martoon said:

Forgot about Eva Cassidy.

That "Over The Rainbow" recording is mind blowing. The control to switch so effortlessly from powerful to soft (don't recall the musical terminology) is wonderful.

Totally agree! Mind blowing is the perfect description - and the switch ups in her version send goosebumps down my spine - she's just effortless and her voice is so pure. Will need to have a listen again later this evening 👍

40 minutes ago, Aaron78 said:

Totally agree! Mind blowing is the perfect description - and the switch ups in her version send goosebumps down my spine - she's just effortless and her voice is so pure. Will need to have a listen again later this evening 👍

I watched it straight after posting, Aaron. 👌

5 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Karen Carpenter 

On the Girlie's side she is unsurpassed. Alison Krauss and Diana Krall come pretty close. The one thing they have in common is that they all sing and hold the notes perfectly in the melody. Modern Girlie singers tend to scream and yodel, assisted by auto-tune, to make up for their inability to do the same.

Not many of the male singers mentioned could do this :

Jussi Bjorling - probs one of the best male voices I've heard.

Edited by felix

For me it's Sam Cooke & Eva Cassidy. Special mentions to Stevie Nicks, Annie Lennox & Dusty Springfield, for the guys, gotta be Freddie, Chris Rea,  Roy Orbison , Paul Carrack & Rod Stewart. Just the musings of someone who collects his old age pension next month.

7 hours ago, frankblack said:

Totally subjective.

Some of my favourites aren't too mainstream.

Elizabeth Fraser (Cocteau Twins, Massive Attack)

Mark Lanegan

Robert Plant

Ann Wilson (Heart)

David Bowie

Jonsi (Sigur Ros)

Chris Cornell

John Fogerty (Creedence Clearwater Revival)

Eddie Vedder

Tarja Turanen (ex Nightwish)

Stevie Nicks

Paul Rogers (Free, Bad Company, Queen, ...)

Alison Goldfrapp

Janis Joplin

Ozzy Osbourne

Rob Halford

Some excellent choices there, I would add

Ronnie James Dio and

Amy Lee

The criteria I would say is required is a singer who has done many different genres of music and done them well. Someone like Bowie I would say comes close but there will be others who I cannot think of just now 

Surely it's Hector Nicol that gets us all singing and misty eyed at just before 3 o'clock on a Saturday afternoon ?

Seymour M Hersh

Surely you cannot combine all the musical genres and ask that question.  I doubt Frank Sinatra could do a close cover of Whole Lot of Rosie or Whole Lotta Love for that matter but he had a fantastic voice. As did Robert Plant and Bon Scott in their genres. Greatest Rock, Blues, Soul singer etc etc is really the only way you can judge. 

As an aside I always thought Doris Day had one of the most pure singing voices.

Who knew...?!?!?!?   :o :whistling:

Nah, not actually saying he was "the best", or anywhere near / anything like "the best", and the claims that he invented rock-'n'-roll are overstated hugely, but clearly he could sing a bit. Anyway, it's a song that always helps chase my blues away.   :thumbsup:

6 hours ago, Zico said:

Most of these have been mentioned already: Otis, Aretha, Smokey Robinson, Curtis Mayfield, Marvin Gaye, Prince, Liz Fraser, Al Green. 

Cracking list.

Agree with them all.

4 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

I will add in another few votes 

Annie Lennox

Alison Goldfrapp

Hope Sandoval

Hope Sandoval is a great shout. A voice as beautiful as she is.

6 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Etta James

The vocals on 'Something's got a hold of me' are amazing.  Only Ronnie Ronette on Be my baby comes close.  

A lot of great singers in a lot of different genres,

Picking one is impossible, and for that reason, i'm going for the bauld guy from right said fred, that at least narrows it down to 2. 

All roads lead to Gorgie
5 minutes ago, Zico said:

Hope Sandoval is a great shout. A voice as beautiful as she is.

I also love her slow dreamy voice. I hope she does another album with The Warm Inventions again as Mazzy Star without the late David Roback are unlikely to continue.

44 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Surely you cannot combine all the musical genres and ask that question.  I doubt Frank Sinatra could do a close cover of Whole Lot of Rosie or Whole Lotta Love for that matter but he had a fantastic voice. As did Robert Plant and Bon Scott in their genres. Greatest Rock, Blues, Soul singer etc etc is really the only way you can judge. 

As an aside I always thought Doris Day had one of the most pure singing voices.

Che sera sera.

Dagger Is Back

Freddie Mercury

Paul Rodgers

Danny Bowes Thunder

Robert Plant

David Coverdale

Dean Martin

Karen Carpenter

Ann Wilson

Alison Moyet

Whitney Houston

Aretha Franklin

Diana Ross

Pretty much a matter of personal taste .... singers who've made an impression on you at some time, but who also have a sort of X-factor something special  about them too.  Can't whittle this lot down any further -

Brits - Barbara Dickson, Susan Boyle, Paul Carrack, Elton John, Annie Lennox, Freddie Mercury, George Michael, Dusty Springfield, Sting, Gerry Rafferty,  Tunde (Ok, he's actually Nigerian !!), Emile Sande, Florence Welch, Tony Christie, Paul McCartney, Ronan Keating (OK, he's Irish !!)

Australians - Frank Ifield, Barry Gibb

Americans - Perry Como, Tony Bennett, Jim Reeves, Mama Cass, Karen Carpenter, Al Green, Smokey Robinson, Roy Orbison, Aretha Franklin, Michael Jackson, Chaka Khan, Whitney Houston, Donna Summer, Neil Sedaka, Taylor Swift.