Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• luckyBatistuta

• ri Alban

• jambostuart

6 hours ago, Morgan said:

At last!

Well done, jambostuart!

I've just pre ordered his Jewel collection and it's been quite interesting hearing his songs from the 60's up until mid 00's. His voice is a bit knackered now but there's no denying he was able to change with age better than most singers.

On 07/11/2020 at 02:24, Ulysses said:

My late mother simply ADORED Presley. 

My mum's (88 years young) room is like an Elvis shrine. Even got Elvis cushions!

Canny beat a bit of Elvis :thumbsup:

10 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

My mum's (88 years young) room is like an Elvis shrine. Even got Elvis cushions!

Canny beat a bit of Elvis :thumbsup:

Your mum must have been in her early 20s when Elvis hit the scene.  Mine was about 12.  She was into everything from the 50s and 60s, but no-one compared to him.  I've already posted my favourite Elvis performance above.  This was my ma's favourite song of his, and we played it at her funeral.

8 hours ago, Ulysses said:

Your mum must have been in her early 20s when Elvis hit the scene.  Mine was about 12.  She was into everything from the 50s and 60s, but no-one compared to him.  I've already posted my favourite Elvis performance above.  This was my ma's favourite song of his, and we played it at her funeral.

Thanks for sharing. Lovely mate.

complete control
On 09/11/2020 at 07:33, frankblack said:

Fair choice, but I'd pick Bowie or Robert Plant over him.

Not a fair choice at all. A really bad choice. 

Here is one, Jimmy Outlier, went on to become a Soul Stirrer along with the late great Sam Cooke....... quite possibly the major influencer from Gospel to Soul.......they don't get made like him anymore...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmizCScGLmY 

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Lovecraft said:

Beth Gibbons

Great choice. Could go from achingly beautiful to spine-chilling in the space of one line. 

Tenaciousdandy
On 06/11/2020 at 09:09, Lemongrab said:

Jim Reeves

My gran used to have his records, remember listening to him as a kid, guy had a great voice 

Edited by Dandyman79

3 hours ago, Dandyman79 said:

Enya, she has some voice

B'fhearr i bhfad liom a deirfiúr, Máire.

I much prefer her sister, Moya.

Máire wasn't one for singing in English, though.  But have a listen to this anyway.

On 06/11/2020 at 16:40, Morgan said:

Bobby Darin.

Sinatra.

Mercury.

Elton.

Bobby Darin is a great shout...”Things”👍 

Couple of other old timers that had a set of pipes are Brook Benton and Johnny Mathis.

1 hour ago, micole said:

Another is Paul "the voice" Rodgers,the best rock singer IMO.

Good shout.  I recently picked up The Firm album he did with Jimmy Page plus the Queen album and a live Queen album on my list to listen to.

The Bad Company stuff all got reissued in the past year, and his Free work is stunning.

2 hours ago, Hook said:

Couple of other old timers that had a set of pipes are Brook Benton and Johnny Mathis.

Mack the Knife.  :sweeet:

15 hours ago, Ethan Hunt said:

George Michael.

Alison Moyet.

George Michael is a brilliant choice.  👍

I think his voice is second (if not equal) only to Elton John.

J.T.F.Robertson
3 hours ago, Hook said:

Lou Rawls?

Tenaciousdandy
15 hours ago, Ulysses said:

B'fhearr i bhfad liom a deirfiúr, Máire.

I much prefer her sister, Moya.

Máire wasn't one for singing in English, though.  But have a listen to this anyway.

Amazing voice also, very calming 

7 hours ago, Morgan said:

George Michael is a brilliant choice.  👍

I think his voice is second (if not equal) only to Elton John.

You have good taste in music. Both George Michael and Elton are exceptional talents. Strangely enough though I prefer Elton's solo version of "Don't Let The Sun Go Down on Me" to their duet. 

As a little trivia question, can you name the other Elton track George Michael performed and recorded with him? It's a deep cut and not one of his hits...

15 hours ago, Hook said:

17 hours ago, jambostuart said:

You have good taste in music. Both George Michael and Elton are exceptional talents. Strangely enough though I prefer Elton's solo version of "Don't Let The Sun Go Down on Me" to their duet. 

As a little trivia question, can you name the other Elton track George Michael performed and recorded with him? It's a deep cut and not one of his hits...

I’ve racked my brains over your question!

Is it ‘Wrap her up’?

It’s the one that keeps coming into my mind.

30 minutes ago, Morgan said:

I’ve racked my brains over your question!

Is it ‘Wrap her up’?

It’s the one that keeps coming into my mind.

That's the one! 

A load of great shouts on this thread, all really great vocalists. 

Paul Rodgers is up there with the best for me. Ann Wilson as well her vocals in the  rendition of Stairway to Heaven at the tribute concert about 5 or 6 years ago was fantastic. Barbara Streisand has a beautiful voice as well and can't leave out Scotland's very own Annie Lennox. 

Lou Rawls,Teddy Pendergrass and the now Gregory Porter

Neil Diamond

Frank Sinatra - Buble

Areatha - Chaka Kahn

Etta James

Geddyalexneil

There are many singers that I love and rate highly, however for me I would if pushed to choose would say Freddie Mercury. The reason is he could sing more or less any style and do it justice. I love some of the old crooners, but could they also do opera, rock, country etc? Freddie did. 

Outside of that my top picks for male and female would be Nat King Cole and Karen Carpenter, both of whom had voices smooth as velvet. Absolutely lush and warm. 

These days I would pick Floor Jansen who like Freddie seems to be able to do all manners of styles and infuse something special in each. Male wise Devin Townsend is also rather special. His range is excellent and again he can switch things up magnificently. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/12/2020 at 00:30, jambostuart said:

Hi,

have you heard the duet with Elton and Joss Stone titled ‘Calling it Christmas’?

If you like EJ, I think you’ll love this one.  👍

Merry Christmas, by the way!

Morgs

On 11/12/2020 at 10:19, Hector Riva said:

Lou Rawls,Teddy Pendergrass and the now Gregory Porter

Neil Diamond

Frank Sinatra - Buble

Areatha - Chaka Kahn

Etta James

Good choices,add David Ruffin and Levi Stubbs

5 hours ago, Morgan said:

Hi,

have you heard the duet with Elton and Joss Stone titled ‘Calling it Christmas’?

If you like EJ, I think you’ll love this one.  👍

Merry Christmas, by the way!

Morgs

Cheers for this! The only other Christmas song except "Step Into Christmas" I was aware of was "Joseph, Better you Than Me".  

Have a great Christmas and 2021! 

• 1 month later...
On 08/11/2020 at 12:14, frankblack said:

There are better vocalists than Karen Carpenter but people seem to be judging best vocalist with largest success.   John Denver is fairly niche and long forgotten also.  Elvis sounded dated even in the 70s, but Roy Orbison did diversify right to the end with his cover of I Drove All Night and the Travelling Willburys.

As others say, The Carpenters were fairly one dimensional.  Abba to me were far superior in their genre.

Oops sorry, just saying what I sometimes like to listen to