Employment Law

JamboPete

My wife was made redundant 30/9 due to COVID impacts. The govt announcement today states anyone made redundant after 23/9 can be re-employed and put on furlough. Her employers have said she isn’t eligible as her role was made redundant. Is this correct?

SectionFJambo

Furlough is optional - nothing forcing any employer to use the scheme. Probably not what you want to hear. I can't see many employers going that route - they've done a process, got through the consultation etc. paid out the redundancy. The admin involved in bringing those people back, recovering the redundancy etc. to  then have to do the same process later is just not going to happen unless they feel very generous.

Don't think furlough over-rides or protects from redundancy.  An employer can legitimately make a position redundant and pay the statutory redundancy payment.

5 minutes ago, SectionFJambo said:

Furlough is optional - nothing forcing any employer to use the scheme. Probably not what you want to hear. I can't see many employers going that route - they've done a process, got through the consultation etc. paid out the redundancy. The admin involved in bringing those people back, recovering the redundancy etc. to  then have to do the same process later is just not going to happen unless they feel very generous.

What’s the point in the govt putting this in place then, if it’s too much hassle for the employers?

1 minute ago, JamboPete said:

What’s the point in the govt putting this in place then, if it’s too much hassle for the employers?

An employer might view it that they need to restructure now rather than retain the positions under furlough.  Even when staff are furloughed,  an employer still must pay NIC and pension contributions.  

Will staff that are on the recent job retention scheme be put back onto normal furlough now? 

I'm working 20% of my hours currently and haven't been told any different. 

SectionFJambo
3 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Will staff that are on the recent job retention scheme be put back onto normal furlough now? 

I'm working 20% of my hours currently and haven't been told any different. 

Up to the employer and you to agree.

They can full furlough you or flexi furlough you. The JSS has gone though.

SectionFJambo
37 minutes ago, JamboPete said:

It's an option. Some employers may be generous or feel that by Jan/Mar things will have changed enough that redundancies may now be avoided. I'd imagine more likely for smaller firms who had no choice than bigger firms however for bigger firms who may have had to go through long consultation processes, selection processes then long notice periods I'd imagine they will have to be very generous to go back on it. Also an issue about whether those people can and want to repay the redundancy which I'd imagine would be a pre-requisite for firms - not sure if they have released guidance on what it means so far - i.e. do they come back and start as day zero again or do they come back with protected prior service.

17 minutes ago, SectionFJambo said:

Up to the employer and you to agree.

They can full furlough you or flexi furlough you. The JSS has gone though.

I take it flexi furlough would mean being back on 100% wages though? 

We've only just started the redundancy consultation. The sounds coming from the meeting today were that they'd stop the process and furlough us. Fingers crossed and best of luck to anyone else in this boat. 

6 minutes ago, SectionFJambo said:

It would be a minimum of 100% for hours worked and 80% for hours not worked. Any top up would be employer discretion. 

OK, cheers 👍

14 hours ago, JamboPete said:

Anyone on here have any expertise on this?

I did a module 30 years ago, does that help ? ::troll::

Hope you get your issue resolved  buddy.

My immediate work colleague got made redundant, much to all our astonishment.

He was advised by company to get a lawyer and negotiated a package.

Another colleague (a week later) has announced pregnancy and will leave for a year in March.

We have now advertised for a replacement. Couldn't make it up.

The girl is only part time, but replacement will be full time.

54 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

My immediate work colleague got made redundant, much to all our astonishment.

He was advised by company to get a lawyer and negotiated a package.

Another colleague (a week later) has announced pregnancy and will leave for a year in March.

We have now advertised for a replacement. Couldn't make it up.

The girl is only part time, but replacement will be full time.

It looks bonkers on the front line but the guy in the office making those decisions is shaving expenditure off his top line. He's got rid of one and a half jobs and he's replacing with one. He's replacing her, and not him so he can get away with it. It'll also take time to recruit so a few more months salary saved. Looks and sounds like lunacy but the company accountants will like him.

58 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

It looks bonkers on the front line but the guy in the office making those decisions is shaving expenditure off his top line. He's got rid of one and a half jobs and he's replacing with one. He's replacing her, and not him so he can get away with it. It'll also take time to recruit so a few more months salary saved. Looks and sounds like lunacy but the company accountants will like him.

Yeah, I know.

I think he was on a good salary (we are all secretive as ****), similar to mine, so it could have been me instead.

The obvious candidate (ie useless) started at same time as him, but probably on a lot less, survived.

It's been forced from the group owners in fairness to our management.

We are as busy as ever, but other parts of the group dipped a bit this year.

On 06/11/2020 at 16:30, Tommy Brown said:

Yeah, I know.

I think he was on a good salary (we are all secretive as ****), similar to mine, so it could have been me instead.

The obvious candidate (ie useless) started at same time as him, but probably on a lot less, survived.

It's been forced from the group owners in fairness to our management.

We are as busy as ever, but other parts of the group dipped a bit this year.

Can I ask, are you in the finance sector, or consumables/service industry?

7 hours ago, JDK2020 said:

Can I ask, are you in the finance sector, or consumables/service industry?

We make machinery for food processing industry. Mass production stuff, companies like Birds Eye, McCains etc.