Cheap Windows license

hughesie27

I bought a key for about £9 on eBay about 4 years ago and had no problems.  You can get one there for about £3 these days. 

Samuel Camazzola
8 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

It will be aye.

Do you have any friends who work for major companies like RBS, BoS etc...? They have colleague perks sites where different promos can be gained. One of them is buying a Microsoft Office package for around a tenner. Comes with various keys too. 👍 

15 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

I was thinking, I have a couple of old laptops lying around, never to be used again.

Can their keys be re-used.

With XP on them or windows 7.

Just now, Harry Potter said:

👍

Had trouble with a PC a couple of years ago and went in to a repair shop in

corstorphine (wont name it) needed a reboot disc, they could not supply one .

Got one on Amazon for a fiver , a bit of a faff but worked perfectly to get PC up

and running, windows 7 .

1 hour ago, hughesie27 said:

Bump just incase anyone has anything else other than ebay.

Just in case you've been Googling around, avoid https://www.cjs-cdkeys.com/ like the plague.

Once you've paid, you have to jump through hoops to actually get your Product Key, which is ridiculous since it's been paid for - and you run a very real risk of it not being genuine.  I paid the handsome sum of £10 for a Windows 7 key from them a few years back (preferred 7 to 10 on an older machine), and it worked fine.  At first.  Then I started getting the "This copy of Windows is not genuine" background appearing, and re-activating failed.  I emailed them, and they basically fobbed me off, saying it wasn't their fault but didn't offer a resolution.

Try somewhere else, but **** CJS-CDKeys.

47 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Or even better :wink:

https://linuxmint.com/

Wow, not used Mint in a very long time! 

I've got a project PC that is looking for a new OS, so might give that a bash! :)

Just now, tian447 said:

Wow, not used Mint in a very long time! 

I've got a project PC that is looking for a new OS, so might give that a bash! :)

It's very polished these days, while still allowing you to get in at the nuts and bolts if you desire to. I use the MATE desktop version, but Cinnamon also highly spoken of, Xfce if you need a lighter touch on your resources.

23 hours ago, kila said:

Is this for a PC you've built yourself? 

I'm curious as to why you were asking this. Is there something I should know!?

2 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

I'm curious as to why you were asking this. Is there something I should know!?

I'm fairly sure any old branded computer that shipped with a version of Windows in the last 10 odd years will still update to Windows 10 Home for free. Microsoft never really pulled the plug on the free update because they are focusing their energy on selling services and having everyone on Windows 10 helps with that.

27 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Popped Elementary OS onto my Mint laptop recently. It's a bit old, an under the recommended specs, but still looks and works really nicely. Tempted to put it on my new HP Win 10 laptop.

I've heard good things about Elementary too. Good choice. :thumb: