Indian Takeaway

Greedy Jambo

1 hour ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Vegetable pakora 👎

That stuff should be complimentary. 

Khushis' Pakora when it was the old place was superb.

On 04/11/2020 at 22:42, SecN said:

Love the ones that enduce a sweat, anyone had Kismot Killer?

Mate of mine had about 2/3 of a portion of this stuff. Was up all night throwing up. Not recommended! 

38 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

No, but try the Naga. It will enduce more than a sweat. 

Magnificent and very hot.

Have you tried a Tindaloo, Jonno?

I think we had this discussion about four years ago, can’t recall your answer.

The ‘old’ Kismot Killer was actually just Naga Chicken and I managed that and enjoyed it. Apparently the modern one has over 13 separate chillis some of which are specially imported from the likes of Pakistan. 

2 hours ago, Biko said:

Khushis' Pakora when it was the old place was superb.

Aye, even so, surely their chicken pakora was better.

42 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Hs anyone done the "Kismot Killer"?

Not personally, see my post above.

To be fair though, never had a crap curry from Kismet. 

3 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

Not personally, see my post above.

To be fair though, never had a crap curry from Kismet. 

I've only seen it on Tv and was interested as to what it was like, faaaaaar too hot for me!

5 hours ago, crunchy frog said:

Is aloo not potato already?

Reminds me of that time my mates missus was doing baked potatoes for tea and asked him to go to shops and get some "salady" stuff, meaning coleslaw etc. He comes back with a tub of potato salad. What a ballbag 😄 

In a cricket match famously Pakistan cricketer Inzamam Ul Haq waded into the crowd when he was heckled by someone calling him Aloo

From Mother India Cafe...

Patina Lamb

Ginger Chicken

The Patina Lamb includes mint and is the tastiest curry ever.  It led to me adding fresh mint to any lamb curry I order.  I still prefer coriander on a chicken curry though.

From another restaurant whose name escapes me just now...

Pork Vindaloo

To me it's the most authentic vindaloo, as the original vindaloo was made from pork.  It was based on a traditional Portuguese dish which the locals spiced up after the Portuguese arrived in the Goan peninsula.  As well as introducing the locals to vindaloo, they also introduced Christianity, which meant they could eat pork, unlike their Hindu and Muslim neighbours.  I wonder if it was the thought of tucking into a tasty pork vindaloo that persuaded the Goans to convert religion.  

12 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

I've only seen it on Tv and was interested as to what it was like, faaaaaar too hot for me!

Tried about 1ml of the sauce on the end of my knife, and took me about five minutes to recover. Can't imagine eating whole mouthfuls of the stuff! 

13 hours ago, RobNox said:

Patina Lamb

Ginger Chicken

The Patina Lamb includes mint and is the tastiest curry ever.  It led to me adding fresh mint to any lamb curry I order.  I still prefer coriander on a chicken curry though.

Pork Vindaloo

To me it's the most authentic vindaloo, as the original vindaloo was made from pork.  It was based on a traditional Portuguese dish which the locals spiced up after the Portuguese arrived in the Goan peninsula.  As well as introducing the locals to vindaloo, they also introduced Christianity, which meant they could eat pork, unlike their Hindu and Muslim neighbours.  I wonder if it was the thought of tucking into a tasty pork vindaloo that persuaded the Goans to convert religion.  

I'm not a fan of mint, it's alright in toothpaste. 

2 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

I'm not a fan of mint, it's alright in toothpaste. 

Agree with you there.  Aside from Indian food, why do you find it in supermarket chilled vegetables - that is just wrong.

When I eat veg I want a savoury taste not something ruined that tastes like a packet of polo mints have been crushed up and mixed in. 🤬

highlandjambo3
On 06/11/2020 at 22:23, RobNox said:

Patina Lamb

Ginger Chicken

Pork Vindaloo

Love making a vindaloo from scratch and yes.....it’s origins is Portugal and originally made from pork, the word vin and aloo means vinegar and garlic which are  big ingredients in a vindaloo although the word aloo is also commonly used to describe potato.  The Portuguese were big spice traders to Europe from Goa and, I’ve had the pleasure of attending a cookery course in Goa.....love authentic Indian food and, tbh, I’m quite good at making it.  

A common misconception for most people is confusing “hot” from “spicy”.....vindaloo is very spicy but can be made using no chilli if you wish.  To try to simplify this, you could make a beef stew then bung in a bottle of Tabasco sauce, now this would be very hot but it would bear no resemblance to the spice in a curry right.....so people should try to separate the heat from spice when you describe a curry.

Edited by highlandjambo3