Chinese Takeaway

Greedy Jambo

Heartsmad1874
9 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Might risk my life on a munchie box tonight. 

Hate when they add prawn crackers and a can of juice into the price though, i don't want a can of juice and prawn crackers should be free. 

Prawn crackers come free and unwanted for me personally at every Chinese i go to.

They end up straight in the bucket.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Greedy Jambo

• luckyBatistuta

• Morgan

• jimmyjambo

1 minute ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

Prawn crackers come free and unwanted for me personally at every Chinese i go to.

They end up straight in the bucket.

Aye, i'm much the same, i'll have a couple and the rest ends up in the bin. 

Going for:

Spicy Sambal Udon Beef (Chef Special)

Garlic Black Pepper Chicken

Fried Rice

Chips

Curry sauce

(chips and curry sauce in case the rest of it is shite)

Not ordered yet and might make an edit. Got spring rolls and Ribs on my mind. 

Edited by Greedy Jambo

13 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Going for:

Fried Rice

Chips

Curry sauce

For yourself? 

Dennis Reynolds
15 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Hate when they add prawn crackers and a can of juice into the price though, i don't want a can of juice and prawn crackers should be free. 

Most of the takeaways near me only offer a salt and chilli munchie box and it's just too much salt for me 😂 Feels like my mouth is dissolving. 

A few years ago my nearest Chinese did three mains for a tenner and I was there far too often for my own good. Sadly they don't do it anymore.

Samuel Camazzola
14 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Going for:

Fried Rice

Chips

Curry sauce

Chips. :facepalm:

Heartsmad1874
3 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Not any worse than rice, mate. 

5 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Chips. :facepalm:

Chips are fantastic with a Chinese. Especially chicken fried rice and curry sauce 😍😍 Got me in the mood for one tonight :sad: 

17 minutes ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

Chips are fantastic with a Chinese. Especially chicken fried rice and curry sauce 😍😍 Got me in the mood for one tonight :sad: 

I ended up getting chicken breast curry

Chips

Sambal udon beef. 

Not too bad for £12.60 delivered. 

The chicken curry was one of the best i've had, massive chunks of chicken, cooked to perfection. 

Heartsmad1874

Hate ordering from places like Just Eat. Say your curry and whatever else you order is £5-£8 you end up paying way over a £10 on delivery fee's etc.

Penicuik Takeaways. 

Not had a Chinese takeaway I'd rate above 6 out of 10 in years. Still occasionally order but always a little disappointed and then question myself why I bothered.

43 minutes ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

Hate ordering from places like Just Eat. Say your curry and whatever else you order is £5-£8 you end up paying way over a £10 on delivery fee's etc.

Yeah, i used the takeaways own website and got 20% off.

Some of the delivery fee's on Just Eat are ridiculous, as high as £4.00 for some places, and usually chinese places. 

50p Just Eat charge on top of that. 

Edited by Greedy Jambo

32 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

Penicuik Takeaways. 

Not had a Chinese takeaway I'd rate above 6 out of 10 in years. Still occasionally order but always a little disappointed and then question myself why I bothered.

Aye, it's the same round here, I was quite surprised how good the chicken curry was, a lot better than the chef's special udon beef effort. 

Chips with Chinese food?  :wtf: 

Come on, chaps.  

If you went into a chippie in Edinburgh and ordered a single, battered haddock, and then asked for a wee side portion of egg fried rice, imagine the looks/reaction you would get?

Dagger Is Back

Maybe it’s just me but I think the standard of Chinese food in my area has gone downhill in recent years.

Can’t quite put my finger on what exactly has gone wrong but there’s a heaviness RJ the sauces which just don’t taste natural if that makes sense

Would rather do a wee Chinese stir fry myself 

12 hours ago, Morgan said:

Chips with Chinese food?  :wtf: 

Come on, chaps.  

If you went into a chippie in Edinburgh and ordered a single, battered haddock, and then asked for a wee side portion of egg fried rice, imagine the looks/reaction you would get?

You do realise that the food served in Chinese takeaways is different to the food they eat in China? 

It has all been created for us greedy brits, and that includes the chips. 

Let's face it, if you don't like to dip chips into "Chinese" curry sauce, there's something wrong with you. 

Heartsmad1874
23 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

You do realise that the food served in Chinese takeaways is different to the food they eat in China? 

Let's face it, if you don't like to dip chips into "Chinese" curry sauce, there's something wrong with you. 

Couldn't agree more with your last sentence. Mixing chips, curry sauce and for example chicken fried rice is glorious.

When i was in Australia for a year or so i could not find Chinese food the same as in the UK. Was a terrible time :(. Although other takeaways did a lovely mixed kebab beef/chicken was brilliant.

Edited by Heartsmad1874

luckyBatistuta
4 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

I’ve had many traditional chinese buffets here and sampled their food in China itself...and it’s all bland as

Салатные палочки

Especially Salt and Chilli chips.  I defy anyone not to like them.  

5 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

Especially Salt and Chilli chips.  I defy anyone not to like them.  

And you know it's a good Chinese when you get salt & chilli onions and peppers flung in with them. 

17 hours ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Maybe it’s just me but I think the standard of Chinese food in my area has gone downhill in recent years.

Can’t quite put my finger on what exactly has gone wrong but there’s a heaviness RJ the sauces which just don’t taste natural if that makes sense

Would rather do a wee Chinese stir fry myself 

Just said the same a couple of weeks back. The place I go is nowhere near as good as it used to be and it’s been great for years. 
Not sure if it was them rushing the food as it’s so busy now with all the new houses they have build around the area but food definitely not as good 

luckyBatistuta
1 hour ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Let's be having you!

golden-harvest-chinese-takeaways-belfast.jpg

I like my chinese food, but that not doing it😖

luckyBatistuta
2 hours ago, theshed said:

Just said the same a couple of weeks back. The place I go is nowhere near as good as it used to be and it’s been great for years. 
Not sure if it was them rushing the food as it’s so busy now with all the new houses they have build around the area but food definitely not as good 

One reason chinese takeaways have become worse in the last couple of years is because of the rise in prices of spices.

20 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

I like my chinese food, but that not doing it😖

Hah, I agree, but you still would though, best picture i could find. 

It's mostly the the sauces going all thick on the top, the crap spring rolls and the crap salt n chilli chips that i would complain about, not sure what those big ****off battered things are either, but hey, i'd give it all a good going over. 

Edited by Greedy Jambo

3 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

Nobody better tell Morgan that you can get a spring roll supper at the chippy.

3 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

😂

Oh, Jesus.   :vrface: 

:nojustno: 

I not sure that anyone has ever bought a spring roll supper to be fair, but it's on the menu, so it's allowed

Just like chips are on the Chinese menu.

Morgan is talking like we're all going into a chinese, demanding chips when they don't do chips. 

Slagging is allowed if someone is just ordering just chips, rice, and spring rolls from a Chinese, but most of us like to try everything and still like chips and curry sauce!

9 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Slagging is allowed if someone is just ordering just chips, rice, and spring rolls from a Chinese, but most of us like to try everything and still like chips and curry sauce!

My wife's Chinese order

Egg fried rice

Thin noodles with beansprouts

Prawn crackers

Bland/dry as anything. She will happily just eat it. Occasionally will push the boat out and have a few saltnchili chips.

She's a picky eater. Cheap date mind :laugh:

5 hours ago, Alan_R said:

My wife's Chinese order

Egg fried rice

Prawn crackers

Bland/dry as anything. She will happily just eat it. Occasionally will push the boat out and have a few saltnchili chips.

Minus the prawn crackers, that's almost identical to all my wife will eat from a Chinese. Maybe add a spoonful of sweet and sour sauce. :D 

Picky is an understatement, there's hardly anything in a chippy she'll eat and Indian's are a total no-go.

11 hours ago, Alan_R said:

My wife's Chinese order

Egg fried rice

Prawn crackers

6 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

Minus the prawn crackers, that's almost identical to all my wife will eat from a Chinese. Maybe add a spoonful of sweet and sour sauce. :D 

Picky is an understatement, there's hardly anything in a chippy she'll eat and Indian's are a total no-go.

That would do my nut in 😂

6 minutes ago, theshed said:

Looks lovely but I’d need a bigger portion as I’d be starving 30 mins later 

👍, i couldn’t eat it all, stuffed

luckyBatistuta
On 12/11/2020 at 20:50, Greedy Jambo said:

I not sure that anyone has ever bought a spring roll supper to be fair, but it's on the menu, so it's allowed

Just like chips are on the Chinese menu.

Morgan is talking like we're all going into a chinese, demanding chips when they don't do chips. 

You can go in to a Chinese takeaway and just order chips.

On 13/11/2020 at 06:14, Alan_R said:

My wife's Chinese order

Egg fried rice

Prawn crackers

My wife is the same, will only eat about 4 different dishes in a Chinese takeaway. It always ends in an argument as she always wants to half a meal and I never want the same one ( that’s deliberate, because I want a full meal) She is even worse in an Indian too. She wants to share one meal, but the only thing she will eat is a Korma. It’s probably the worst thing on the menu in my opinion. I like my indian meal hot, the hotter the better😁😢

2 hours ago, theshed said:

Looks lovely but I’d need a bigger portion as I’d be starving 30 mins later 

Yeah, agree. That’s probably only two thirds, or even half of my size of portions.

• 2 weeks later...

Pot-sticker dumplings with beef & spring-onion

Salt & chilli squid

Singapore-style rice noodles

On 05/11/2020 at 10:14, CostaJambo said:

The only place I have seen this on the menu was a place in Blackhall called New Happy Palace, which moved to Granton Road. After a  quick google search it appears it is no longer in business.

Jong Po Chicken

Dice chicken breasts into cubes, roll in rice flour and fry

Fry large chopped onion pieces, tin of bamboo shoots, water chestnuts in a wok 

Add in chicken pieces

Add Hoi Sin sauce (have tried loads, Blue Dragon works best with this recipe)

Anyone who likes Peking Duck will love this 

New happy palace is still in granton road. Had kung po chicken from there last week

Edited by joe.gausden

1 hour ago, joe.gausden said:

New happy palace is still in granton road. Had kung po chicken from there last week

Is it still decent? been years and years since I have had anything from there. The kung po wasn't bad from memory.

On 10/11/2020 at 19:19, Greedy Jambo said:

Spend more and prawn crackers are free. 

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Fess up, who's getting one?

Making my own tonight, bbq spare ribs followed by lemon chicken and egg fried rice 👍

Fess up, who's getting one?

Might be ordered by the time i get down the road. Either Indian or Chinese on Christmas eve for some reason. 

1 hour ago, jimmyjambo said:

Making my own tonight, bbq spare ribs followed by lemon chicken and egg fried rice 👍

There's no joy like a home made lemon chicken, superb! 👍

1 hour ago, jimmyjambo said:

can you post your recipe for lemon chicken?