Worst thing I've ever seen (bike accident in Portobello)

Cruyff

So many incidents on that Milton Link as well.  Utter chaos there too as Asda was basically grid-locked Friday afternoon.  No idea why they won't allow cars to turn left along towards bigham/niddrie coming out of Asda; seems insane to me.

1 hour ago, Stephane Grappelli said:

Agreed. Language used in the original post needlessly graphic too.

There is literally no thread on any topic that John can't shoehorn in a reference to his time in the forces.

:troll:

8 hours ago, Stephane Grappelli said:

Agreed. Language used in the original post needlessly graphic too.

Sorry Cruyff, but I totally agree.

It was pretty insensitive.

Regal Kingston

The junction needs to be addressed immediately before there are any more fatalities. They keep on building more and more houses in Portobello and making the Portobello Road cycle friendly and it all leads up to this increasingly dangerous and more busy junction. An underpass at Fishwives Causeway for cyclists could potentially be the answer. RIP to the 36 year old lady.

2 hours ago, Stephane Grappelli said:

"Bits everywhere", but I'm the troll?  Good one mate.

Aye, you are. Don't like it, don't comment. 👍 

14 minutes ago, Stephane Grappelli said:

You post something pretty horrible and then anyone who takes exception to it is a "troll"?  How childish and arrogant.

Hardly a horrible use of terminology. 

You trolled John, did you not? 

Talk about childish. You could start WW3 in an empty room. 🙄

Edited by Cruyff

We need to start making investment in segregated cycle lanes a priority now. Cyclists should have priority at roundabouts like the ones in the Netherlands too. I say that as a non-cyclist.

RIP the poor woman.

luckyBatistuta
Just now, Governor Tarkin said:

Does it show? :(

Aye pal, just read your post on Vienna, then came on to this thread and 😬

It can only get better👍

15 minutes ago, Furious Styles said:

That junction gives me the fear in a car. **** trying to cross it on a bicycle. 

I use it nearly everyday going to work.  It's not so bad very early in the morning when the traffic is light.  But in the afternoon/evening it can been rammed and chaotic.  I wouldn't attempt it on a bike either.

14 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Back when my missus was heavily pregnant we were up in Edinburgh on holiday and as she wasn't feeling well we went for a drive down the old A1 (through Tranent) to go to the coast.

Got to an accident to see the body of a woman had been dragged along the road under the wheels of a lorry.

Police had to lay out sheets/coverings for about 20 yds to cover up the mess. 

The missus puked up all over the car. 

Not sure if it's the same incident: but I remember seeing something very similar to this in Tranent on the road to Ormiston back in the early 90s: hadn't thought about it in years but it was grim & this thread immediately reminded me about it

13 hours ago, Regal Kingston said:

The junction needs to be addressed immediately before there are any more fatalities. They keep on building more and more houses in Portobello and making the Portobello Road cycle friendly and it all leads up to this increasingly dangerous and more busy junction. An underpass at Fishwives Causeway for cyclists could potentially be the answer. RIP to the 36 year old lady.

There's a set of pedestrian lights at Fishwives.

I'd much rather get off my bike and cross the road then carry on along the Causeway than go anywhere near that junction on a pushbike.

11 hours ago, Furious Styles said:

That junction gives me the fear in a car. **** trying to cross it on a bicycle. 

Even as a pedestrian it’s a cluster****. Takes about 5 minutes to get across the road and about 3 sets of lights. 

Not sure if the train track is at all operational but perhaps they should work that as a possible option for traffic between SHLRoad and Seafield.  The SHLR both leaving and going into the Kings/Portobello/Seafield Rd is terrible as well, and even further along at Baileyfield Road.  Once the extensive housing is complete I can't imagine how Baileyfield Crescent will impact either. :nah:

1 hour ago, ArcticJambo said:

Not sure if the train track is at all operational but perhaps they should work that as a possible option for traffic between SHLRoad and Seafield.  The SHLR both leaving and going into the Kings/Portobello/Seafield Rd is terrible as well, and even further along at Baileyfield Road.  Once the extensive housing is complete I can't imagine how Baileyfield Crescent will impact either. :nah:

The track is the one from Leith Docks so is still operational though seldom used. 

4 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

The track is the one from Leith Docks so is still operational though seldom used. 

Ahh, I walked along it during lockdown, well the section from the docks tothe crossing at the entrance to the sewage works and I have to say it seemed very seldom used.  In fact I believe the kids were having raves just along the way under the bridge at the Seafield Rd S-bend.  :lol:

Just now, ArcticJambo said:

Ahh, I walked along it during lockdown, well the section from the docks tothe crossing at the entrance to the sewage works and I have to say it seemed very seldom used.  In fact I believe the kids were having raves just along the way under the bridge at the Seafield Rd S-bend.  :lol:

Quite possibly. 😄

Governor Tarkin
53 minutes ago, Stephane Grappelli said:

Just a bit.  You were advocating violence and all sorts.

Aye, and it seems the mods were just as grumpy as me yesterday. :D :(

Managed more than two hours of sleep so chirpier this morning. Sorry for hypothetically advocating Cruyff bop one one your chin. No hard feelings I hope. 🍻

10 hours ago, ArcticJambo said:

Think since the cockenzie plant was knocked down it gets used very little.

Stephane Grappelli
35 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Aye, and it seems the mods were just as grumpy as me yesterday. :D :(

Managed more than two hours of sleep so chirpier this morning. Sorry for hypothetically advocating Cruyff bop one one your chin. No hard feelings I hope. 🍻

Of course not mate!  Glad things are better today and FTH!

On 03/11/2020 at 09:40, pablo said:

We need to start making investment in segregated cycle lanes a priority now. Cyclists should have priority at roundabouts like the ones in the Netherlands too. I say that as a non-cyclist.

RIP the poor woman.

The right time to do that was when they built the trams. Instead of an integrated transport plan, the council battered on with a a couple of miles of tram tracks for tourists. 

Shame for the woman but that junctions bad enough to drive. There’s no way I’d tackle that on my bike. 

Sounds absolutely horrible. One of the many reasons I'd not touch the road with a bike. Really am of the belief roads are for cars, **** taking that kind of risk. 

Sincere condolences to her partner and loved ones.

10 hours ago, Jamie Walker Tash said:

Think since the cockenzie plant was knocked down it gets used very little.

Another scene down the coast I can't get used to not seeing anymore. :sob:

Weakened Offender
On 03/11/2020 at 07:02, Stephane Grappelli said:

"Bits everywhere", but I'm the troll?  Good one mate.

I agree, it was disgusting. 

• 3 weeks later...

One of my previous careers put me in contact with people who jumped off the Forth Road Bridge. Since it opened more than 500 people have jumped off it and only 4 survived. By the time they were found sometimes weeks later they were in some mess.

One particular fellah who had survived the initial jump and was open to being pulled out the water, tragically got struck on the head by the rescue boat and died of head injuries. Talk about fate taking a hand !! 

2 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

One particular fellah who had survived the initial jump and was open to being pulled out the water, tragically got struck on the head by the rescue boat and died of head injuries. Talk about fate taking a hand !! 

Bit of paperwork for the boat crew that.

Doctor FinnBarr
10 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

One of my previous careers put me in contact with people who jumped off the Forth Road Bridge. Since it opened more than 500 people have jumped off it and only 4 survived. By the time they were found sometimes weeks later they were in some mess.

A mate of mine lived on a boat in South Queensferry harbour in the mid 90s, he said MOD Police from Rosyth would attend on a weekly basis to look for "jumpers" because thats where the current pushes into, that 500 could well be right but the media could be keeping quiet to discourage others from joining in.