Worst thing I've ever seen (bike accident in Portobello)

Cruyff

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

**** sake. Tragic for her, traumatic for you, but this thread title should probably come with a bit of a warning, no?

2 minutes ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

**** sake. Tragic for her, traumatic for you, but this thread title should probably come with a bit of a warning, no?

or deleted in case any relatives are on here?

SectionFJambo

To be fair it is called worst thing I've ever seen.

Seen a similar post on facebook about this incident suggesting it's a particularly nasty one.

Not sure why people rush off to post on facebook, twitter etc.

I'd imagine anyone who happens to have a female relative who cycles that route is a bit worried right now.

2 minutes ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

Maybe, I don't know. 

1 minute ago, SectionFJambo said:

To be fair it is called worst thing I've ever seen.

Seen a similar post on facebook about this incident suggesting it's a particularly nasty one.

Not sure why people rush off to post on facebook, twitter etc.

I'd imagine anyone who happens to have a female relative who cycles that route is a bit worried right now.

Tbf, didn't really think of that. Just reporting the news. 🤷 

If I had stopped on my bike and took a selfie, then fair enough, that would have been OTT. 

Governor Tarkin
11 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

This.

@Cruyff Turn probably needed to get it off his chest, though. Hope you're ok, bud. 👍

Poor lassie and driver. :(

17 minutes ago, Barack said:

Dealt with a poor guy a couple of years ago. Threw himself off a foot bridge onto the road, but didn't die. 

The car that hit him did. 200 yards later,  & as I was first on the scene after it happened, I went to see if I could help. Looked under the car & the boy was like a jigsaw gone wrong.

Didn’t affect me, as I'm a bit detached when it involves death. But it was certainly not pleasant.

Horrible news for the family of the victim in this case too.

It's amazing how fragile we are tbh. I was on my mtb, after that I cycled all the way home on the pavement. 

I'm not squimish, I've seen a couple of accidents in the workshop involved belt sanders and bench planers but never seen a fatality. 

11 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

This.

@Cruyff Turn probably needed to get it off his chest, though. Hope you're ok, bud. 👍

Poor lassie and driver. :(

I'm just glad my wee lassie didn't see it. She wanted to go cycling so, me and her cycled along the promenade to Portobello. Fortunately my mum and dad picked her up at the Pitz carpark and I cycled home. 

Edited by Cruyff

1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

Lassie on a bike at the corner of Portobello into Harry Lauder Road, squished by a Lorry. 

Bits everywhere. 

Rip. Poor lassie. 

Had the police not cordoned off the whole area?

Or had it just happened?  Horrible for you (and all the others) to see.

5 minutes ago, FWJ said:

Had the police not cordoned off the whole area?

Or had it just happened?  Horrible for you (and all the others) to see.

It had just happened. 

Terrible thing to witness.

Mine was dealing with two dead bodies and one survivor from an Army helicopter crash of Cape Wrath back in 1980. The survivor at the time(he died 6hrs later aboard the USS Saipan) hadcthe whole of the right side of his face mangled and was screaming in absolute pain in the sickbay aboard Hms Intrepid.

What made it worse was that night during the middle watch midnight to 04.00, I had to type up a signal with regards the third soldier that died.

He was 38yrs old and left a wife and 3 children. I was 17yrs old at the time.

34 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Christ thats rough. 

Is this the junction at the music school?

Nope, the big one at King's Road/Harry Lauder/Inchview Terrace/Porty High St/Seafield Rd.

Edited by Cade

I always try to give cyclists as much space as I can. Personally I wouldn't feel comfortable cycling on busy roads. There will always be nutters who give you no accommodation and you can always end up in the blind spot of a lorry.

A friend was once run off the road on a motorway by a lorry. He was on a motorbike and the lorry just didn't see him beside it. Maneuvered into his lane pushing him clean off the road and on to grass where he went down but was okay.

Edited by JFK-1

3 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Lassie on a bike at the corner of Portobello into Harry Lauder Road, squished by a Lorry. 

Bits everywhere. 

Rip. Poor lassie. 

Thoughts with the family of the young girl

also take care of yourself as you will be in shock 

luckyBatistuta

Horrible news.

I always find myself shaking my head and thinking what an idiot when I see these people who have made up these weird contraptions attached to their bicycle to carry little kids. Is it just to be different, or just being a tight arse. It doesn’t matter how safe they are when they are out there on the road, it just takes one idiot in a motor vehicle and it’s game over.

luckyBatistuta
3 hours ago, Barack said:

Dealt with a poor guy a couple of years ago. Threw himself off a foot bridge onto the road, but didn't die. 

The car that hit him did. 200 yards later,  & as I was first on the scene after it happened, I went to see if I could help. Looked under the car & the boy was like a jigsaw gone wrong.

Didn’t affect me, as I'm a bit detached when it involves death. But it was certainly not pleasant.

Horrible news for the family of the victim in this case too.

No way I could witness that, I’m a big softie. I’ve had discussions with a couple of train drivers in recent years about this subject matter. I mentioned that I had seen how many people had applied for jobs as train drivers and couldn’t believe how much they earn. They both answered with the same thing, that they have to witness some gruesome stuff doing the job (folk chucking themselves in front of the train etc) Eh, what about the paramedics, fire brigade, police etc. 

luckyBatistuta
4 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

All the millions wasted on shitty trams would have been better spent on proper cycle lanes,  we already have buses ffs. 

Still throwing money at it too🤬🤬🤬

39 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Horrible news.

I always find myself shaking my head and thinking what an idiot when I see these people who have made up these weird contraptions attached to their bicycle to carry little kids. Is it just to be different, or just being a tight arse. It doesn’t matter how safe they are when they are out there on the road, it just takes one idiot in a motor vehicle and it’s game over.

Yep.

Speaking as a pedestrian, cyclist, and car-driver, it doesn't have to be an idiot in a motor vehicle: even with hi-viz, flashing lights, and the best road-awareness on everyone's part, it's still all to easy to miss seeing an approaching cyclist, particularly in busy traffic. You're taking a risk every time you get on a bike (or, indeed, cross a road or get in your vehicle) and all you can do is try and be as careful and observant as you can.

luckyBatistuta
8 minutes ago, Auld Reekin' said:

Yep.

Speaking as a pedestrian, cyclist, and car-driver, it doesn't have to be an idiot in a motor vehicle: even with hi-viz, flashing lights, and the best road-awareness on everyone's part, it's still all to easy to miss seeing an approaching cyclist, particularly in busy traffic. You're taking a risk every time you get on a bike (or, indeed, cross a road or get in your vehicle) and all you can do is try and be as careful and observant as you can.

Yup, just takes a momentary lapse. There  is no way I would ever have a child of mine hanging off the front or rear of my bicycle, Some of them are sticking a good couple of feet out the front or the back of the bicycle, only a foot off the road and wobbling about, that’s mental.

Back when my missus was heavily pregnant we were up in Edinburgh on holiday and as she wasn't feeling well we went for a drive down the old A1 (through Tranent) to go to the coast.

Got to an accident to see the body of a woman had been dragged along the road under the wheels of a lorry.

Police had to lay out sheets/coverings for about 20 yds to cover up the mess. 

The missus puked up all over the car. 

very sad, they changed the junction supposedly to speed up the buses, its a terrible traffic plan, the volume of traffic to that point must be huge

Edited by maroongoals

Салатные палочки
2 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Horrible news.

I can't believe that these things are allowed on roads. Absolutely unbelievable that anyone would risk putting a young child in something like that. The worst part is that the kid is behind them. What happens if it detaches? Absolutely detest people who use them. 

Edited by Salad Fingers
typo

Carl Fredrickson

Thoughts with the young ladies friends and family.

It used to be that London was awful for accidents with cyclists but things seem to be getting worse in Edinburgh.

I used that junction every work day prior to lockdown. I often saw cars taking off through a red light without realising the lights hadnt changed. More common was coming from the city centre, people in the outside lane for Sir Harry Lauder Road going straight on to Portbobello when cars in the middle lane were turning right. 

luckyBatistuta
8 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Thoughts with the young ladies friends and family.

It used to be that London was awful for accidents with cyclists but things seem to be getting worse in Edinburgh.

I used that junction every work day prior to lockdown. I often saw cars taking off through a red light without realising the lights hadnt changed. More common was coming from the city centre, people in the outside lane for Sir Harry Lauder Road going straight on to Portbobello when cars in the middle lane were turning right. 

On your comment of cars running red lights. I spend a lot more time driving around Edinburgh than your average motorist. I’ve noticed in the last year, a massive increase in drivers just ignoring red lights and just driving straight through them, or pulling away through them, rather than continue to wait🤷‍♂️

Carl Fredrickson
1 minute ago, luckyBatistuta said:

On your comment of cars running red lights. I spend a lot more time driving around Edinburgh than your average motorist. I’ve noticed in the last year, a massive increase in drivers just ignoring red lights and just driving straight through them, or pulling away through them, rather than continue to wait🤷‍♂️

I have noticed this too but thought it may be me getting older/grumpier and more judgemental. All traffic lights should have cameras that record light jumpers (I think some might but not all)

luckyBatistuta
1 minute ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

I have noticed this too but thought it may be me getting older/grumpier and more judgemental. All traffic lights should have cameras that record light jumpers (I think some might but not all)

Yeah, more lights getting this and the speed camera. You always used to see the amber gamblers, but now it’s straight through red lights long after it’s turned.

Carl Fredrickson
1 minute ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Yeah, more lights getting this and the speed camera. You always used to see the amber gamblers, but now it’s straight through red lights long after it’s turned.

On more than a few occasions at the junction the accident was at today and the one further up Sir Harry Lauder Road (next to the Range) I have seen cars sitting at a red and then drive off when it was red and not even due to change. I used to love driving but it is now  chore. 

6 hours ago, doctor jambo said:

Exactly what I was thinking ! 

I recall some dude on a bike and his pillion ploughed straight through the bus stop opposite the Balmoral on Dalry road a few years back. I think they survived despite serious injury and a pedestrian involved. I went past on my own motorbike regularly at the time so it gave me a chill to see all the shattered glass and damage. There by the grace. 

Stephane Grappelli
7 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Bits everywhere. 

Rip. Poor lassie. 

7 hours ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

7 hours ago, doctor jambo said:

Agreed. Language used in the original post needlessly graphic too.

5 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Terrible thing to witness.

Mine was dealing with two dead bodies and one survivor from an Army helicopter crash of Cape Wrath back in 1980. The survivor at the time(he died 6hrs later aboard the USS Saipan) hadcthe whole of the right side of his face mangled and was screaming in absolute pain in the sickbay aboard Hms Intrepid.

What made it worse was that night during the middle watch midnight to 04.00, I had to type up a signal with regards the third soldier that died.

He was 38yrs old and left a wife and 3 children. I was 17yrs old at the time.

There is literally no thread on any topic that John can't shoehorn in a reference to his time in the forces.

I was unfortunate enough to pass the spot the young Chinese student was killed on her bike outside the Rutland a couple of years ago. I was disgusted at the behaviour of some people there. Trying to take photos and people crowding the police that were holding up blankets as screens so they could see her body. Disgusted to the level I let them know exactly what they were and what I thought of them. A couple of them took umbrage as apparently they were only doing what anyone would do. Absolute animals without shred of empathy or humanity. 
I should add I’m not levelling this at the OP and can only be glad I’ve never happened upon what he saw and hope I never do. 

The young lady is gone, whether she was in the right or wrong is now passed. My sincere condolences go to the relatives who now have a lifetime to ponder and grieve this sad sad loss of such a young life, sleep well young lass let those remaining judge ,you paid the price, hope with me that it may make someone else think first and save another young life.

luckyBatistuta
13 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I was unfortunate enough to pass the spot the young Chinese student was killed on her bike outside the Rutland a couple of years ago. I was disgusted at the behaviour of some people there. Trying to take photos and people crowding the police that were holding up blankets as screens so they could see her body. Disgusted to the level I let them know exactly what they were and what I thought of them. A couple of them took umbrage as apparently they were only doing what anyone would do. Absolute animals without shred of empathy or humanity. 
I should add I’m not levelling this at the OP and can only be glad I’ve never happened upon what he saw and hope I never do. 

A ‘like’ is so important to some, more than actually trying to save someone’s life. Sad times we live in.

Carl Weathers
31 minutes ago, Tazio said:

That's grim. People are getting worse.

1 hour ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

On more than a few occasions at the junction the accident was at today and the one further up Sir Harry Lauder Road (next to the Range) I have seen cars sitting at a red and then drive off when it was red and not even due to change. I used to love driving but it is now  chore. 

That happens all the time.  I'm often sitting at the right filter on the Milton Link (opp side of the road from The Range) waiting t turn right onto Milton Road.  I'd say 1 in 3 times you'll see the car in the middle lane coming up Sir Harry Lauder Rd which was waiting in teh centre lane to go on towards the A1 start  to move off (and generally stop 3-5m later) as both turn right filters go on.  It's quite easily done if you're not concentrating.  Anyway, always look out fr it if you're ever at that junction.

Council spent nearly a year re-jigging that junction to increase traffic flow, and it has.......but the number of accidents has risen ever since.

Seen numerous crashes up there.

It really needs to be re-done again or better alternative routes planned out so people have a viable option of avoiding it.

It's a huge pinch point.