Retiring Shirt No. 26

Restonbabe

Zali was our leader. Cup winning legend. Only  right thing for us to do is retire the #26 Jersey. 

Gnbf rip Zali 

That-Day-In-May

As it says above. Opinions?

Would be happy to start a petition if it were to build momentum. That man is the definition of a legend, and he should be remembered at the club for eternity. The picture of him lifting the club with tears in his eyes is iconic. Great result tonight, but gutted at the news.

Rest in Peace, Marius Žaliūkas😔

William H. Bonney

Would have to be next season. 
In the meantime I’d like to see him be made honorary captain or something similar for the cup final. 

That-Day-In-May
1 minute ago, Restonbabe said:

I just posted the same. Merge

Yes I seen. Apologies. As I said, I’m happy to start a petition, I’m not sure of the logistics with Halkett, but glad we agree on the matter. HHGH

Great idea but don't know if a player can change number once it's been allocated for season .probably need permission from player and spfl

3 minutes ago, scabber said:

Great idea but don't know if a player can change number once it's been allocated for season .probably need permission from player and spfl

Don’t think you’re obliged to have squad numbers in the championship (could be wrong).

Jambof3tornado
4 minutes ago, scabber said:

The club can at least ask the question, exceptional circumstances etc etc.

Салатные палочки

Would be a great tribute from the club.

Absolute tragedy. Gutted doesn't cover it. 

Francis Albert

No problem with it but retiring the number 26 shirt doesn't seem a  fully worthwhile tribute in  itself. Shirt numbers anove 11  seem a bit like after thoughts. Anyway the RIP thread suggestion of a fund to support his family (he was never a huge earner) seems to me more worthy.

Retiring a number seems a useless gesture IMO

Then the number disappeared for no reason. Everyone forgets after a few years

better to give an prominent individual that number with a free charity sponsor on the sleeve or lower back

That honors the memory of Marius best

2 minutes ago, Hesh said:

#26 Shirts for the cup final warm up

Absolutely this.  Everyone wearing Zaliukas 26 for the warm up. 

Retire the number 26, numbers have been retired for lesser causes.   A Scottish Cup winning Captain should be honoured forever this way. 

Don't think we should retire the number. It's been done a number of times already.

I have another idea: from now on, the club captain always wears #26.

40 minutes ago, gashauskis9 said:

I’d be all for it if Halkett was happy to give it up. 

To be fair Halkett could wear no9 with his strike rate 

tartofmidlothian
3 minutes ago, Doc Rob said:

Don't think we should retire the number. It's been done a number of times already.

I have another idea: from now on, the club captain always wears #26.

No, some players like their own numbers for their own reasons, we can't dictate that unless it's taken.

Zal is my favourite player ever and I absolutely loved the guy but I'm not in favour of retiring numbers. We can do many other very fitting tributes to the great man.

20 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

No problem with it but retiring the number 26 shirt doesn't seem a  fully worthwhile tribute in  itself. Shirt numbers anove 11  seem a bit like after thoughts. Anyway the RIP thread suggestion of a fund to support his family (he was never a huge earner) seems to me more worthy.

Can't we do both? Number 26 will never be an after thought.

Francis Albert
2 minutes ago, Hungry hippo said:

Zal is my favourite player ever and I absolutely loved the guy but I'm not in favour of retiring numbers. We can do many other very fitting tributes to the great man.

Agreed. Great Hearts player as Zal was he was not Conn Bauld Wardaugh or Mackay and their numbers were not retired.p

Just now, Francis Albert said:

Agreed. Great Hearts player as Zal was he was not Conn Bauld Wardaugh or Mackay and their numbers were not retired.p

They didn't have squad numbers. It's not a fair comparison at all.

That-Day-In-May

Afraid I’m not sure on how we would even begin a crowdfunding page to support the family. But a great idea, to show his family how much we adored him. 

9 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

I'm with you.  There are many ways we can make appropriate recognition of his contribution to the Club, but retiring his number seems so, temporary.  Who will even be aware in a few years?

2 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

I'm with you.  There are many ways we can make appropriate recognition of his contribution to the Club, but retiring his number seems so, temporary.  Who will even be aware in a few years?

Hearts Hall of Fame (if that is still running)?

Edited by JamTarts98
Spelling

3 minutes ago, JamTarts98 said:

Hearts Hall or Fame (if that is still running)?

I'm sure some bright young individual at the Club will come up with a creative idea that will be long-lasting.

I just doubt that in a couple of years anyone will even notice that the number 26 isn't being used.

whenever #26 is used, it should have Zals name one it. doesn't have to be big or flashy, can be put down as a shirt/short sponsor if need be. just make sure his name is there and visible

Francis Albert
6 minutes ago, JamTarts98 said:

They didn't have squad numbers. It's not a fair comparison at all.

Why not? 

In fact is pretty much my whole point. If the numbers of any of the players I mentioned had been retired it would have been very noticeable ever after. If number 26 is retired? After a fairly brief period who.will notice the gap between 25 and 27 in the 80 squad numbers?

Retiring the shirt isn't enough imo. I wouldn't do it anyway.

Zal is Heart's Bobby Moore, he captained the club to the biggest and best win in our entire history. 

That day will never be equalled and I'd like to see his aura and personality installed around Tynecastle somewhere, a permanent mural or some form of artwork in the stadium is required. 

I trust the club to go the extra mile on this one. 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Restonbabe said:

Zali was our leader. Cup winning legend. Only  right thing for us to do is retire the #26 Jersey. 

Gnbf rip Zali 

I was thinking that in the 2nd half when I noticed Kingsley wearing it. 

Do you want some ongoing tribute? Retire 26, put a banner up in the stands and induct into the next Hall of Fame. Add in tributes and donations to MND.

What else do you want? How can we ensure 26 is never forgotten for you? Maybe you shouldn't look at Zal like a number and just remember his pride and passion on cup final day 2012.

In my view there are 99 numbers that our players can choose from, retiring the 26 would be a fitting tribute to a player and man that served us so well in his time and died at a tragically early age. In these days ‘legend’ can be hard to come by and Zal without doubt earned that. RIP big man

1 hour ago, gashauskis9 said:

I’d be all for it if Halkett was happy to give it up. 

Halkett wearing it while scoring the winner in the final would be the perfect.  Then retire his shirt number.  

This is probably a dumb idea: 

Bit it would be quite cool if a shirt had the names of all the people who have 100+ appearances embroidered on the inside of the shirt,

maybe make it 200 for numbers 1-11.  (Some players might appear on multiple numbers.) 

it would emphasis to players the history of the club and the heroes who have come before. They could feel the names of he past literally touching them as they step to the field. They could be inspired to add themselves to the 'hall or heroes' if you will. Zal would therefore be embroidered into hearts history with the other greats in his 26 shirt. 

I'm sure future Hearts players would be proud to carry him onto the field undercover.

For fans there could be a special edition shirt each year, at extra cost, if they wanted the latest top with the names inside. 

1 hour ago, Maple Leaf said:

I'm sure some bright young individual at the Club will come up with a creative idea that will be long-lasting.

I just doubt that in a couple of years anyone will even notice that the number 26 isn't being used.

Not often I disagree with you pal , I do here though , don’t think there is anyway the number not being used wouldn’t be noticed. I know it isn’t normal over here but look how it works in baseball. They are never ever forgotten its written into a part of their histories as clubs. 

I would temper that by saying I’m not sure it would work here starting it now and even then if we did where would you hang the 26 , may be more workable to do something with his name and others name that are synonymous with the club being hung as banners inside the stadium from the roof of the Gorgie or similar. Then you could also incorporate 26 on Zals banner and retire it without forgetting there has been a string of Jambo’s deserving of the honour.

3 minutes ago, sadj said:

Not often I disagree with you pal , I do here though , don’t think there is anyway the number not being used wouldn’t be noticed. I know it isn’t normal over here but look how it works in baseball. They are never ever forgotten its written into a part of their histories as clubs. 

I would temper that by saying I’m not sure it would work here starting it now and even then if we did where would you hang the 26 , may be more workable to do something with his name and others name that are synonymous with the club being hung as banners inside the stadium from the roof of the Gorgie or similar. Then you could also incorporate 26 on Zals banner and retire it without forgetting there has been a string of Jambo’s deserving of the honour.

One of the great things about JKB is that it allows people to express different opinions in a reasonable manner.  :thumb:

1 minute ago, Maple Leaf said:

One of the great things about JKB is that it allows people to express different opinions in a reasonable manner.  :thumb:

indeed 👌🏻🤣 I think its one of those we have never done that , its not how we do it so why would we now type scenarios here. Sure we as a club will find a suitable way to celebrate Zal contribution to our rich history. 

We could just paint a huge mural in the away end of his goal at the Cabbage patch when none of us left at full time and they had been waiting to parade the League cup...Would be quite good to get a mural of all captains lifting the cup from each of our wins

3 minutes ago, sadj said:

indeed 👌🏻🤣 I think its one of those we have never done that , its not how we do it so why would we now type scenarios here. Sure we as a club will find a suitable way to celebrate Zal contribution to our rich history. 

We could just paint a huge mural in the away end of his goal at the Cabbage patch when none of us left at full time and they had been waiting to parade the League cup...Would be quite good to get a mural of all captains lifting the cup from each of our wins

Lot's of people with one shoe refusing to move. What a wonderful mural.